Beams (including Phasers) & Heavy Beams

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
kknd2

Re: Beams (including Phasers) & Heavy Beams

Post by kknd2 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:23 am

indeed, testing is needed. now about those quantum capacitors?
The Liir says the glass is half full.
The Hiver says the glass is half empty.
While they argue about it, the Zuul comes along, drinks what's left, and removes all doubt. - KKND2

xRei

Post by xRei » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:57 am

My current game is Hiver.. Fat chance of me testing it as such.. My current Liir game where I got all the shiny shield techs is mars-ing constantly(Because of being.. well. Liir with shields). Else I'd load that one up, make some lancer CR's and test it out.. : <
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Morrigi get shields nearly as much as Liir and crash much less often, for me at least.

MrAlgothi

Post by MrAlgothi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Odd, I havent had any crashes and I have been using Liirian shield cruisers now in my last two games.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:45 pm

yes indeed what exactly is this liir shield crash you speak of?

Human

Post by Human » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Shield crash has been fixed, according to tech support forums under the topic relating to memory leaks.

I was having the liir shield crash too.

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, as I said it was only subjective, but when you're using shields as a Liir and the game crashes, and using them as a Morrigi and they don't, the response is to say "The Liir cause more crashes" even when that is not by any means provable.

On the other hand, if multiple people tend to find the liir crash more, then there's probably something at least contributing towards that, if nothing else than that liir use shields more than morrigi.

xRei

Post by xRei » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 am

"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

manty5

Post by manty5 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:31 am

Just a thought...

Maybe he meant that Morrigi collide less often than Liir do, which tends to be hard on the ships.

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Wow, beamers.

I've been playing a Morrigi game, which recently went to a kind of strange place (20M income per year with 20 colonies on turn 180. And AI, so I one-turn every tech.). But in the early to mid game, when I was skimping on weapons spending, I noticed something.

Beamers are great. They PD almost like PD phasers. Green beamers have only moderately weaker DPS than bouncing light emitters, and are just as accurate with a little more range (and have the same research cost). UV beamers improve on that at everything, a lot. They bypass all the easy defenses. They don't miss, which even the best lasers do a significant fraction of the time.

They don't at all measure up to their pulse relatives against planets, though.

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:28 pm

They (probably) do less damage vs reflective coatings though, even if they don't actually bounce.

Astatine

Post by Astatine » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 am

Chernobog wrote:Wow, beamers.

I've been playing a Morrigi game, which recently went to a kind of strange place (20M income per year with 20 colonies on turn 180. And AI, so I one-turn every tech.). But in the early to mid game, when I was skimping on weapons spending, I noticed something.

Beamers are great. They PD almost like PD phasers. Green beamers have only moderately weaker DPS than bouncing light emitters, and are just as accurate with a little more range (and have the same research cost). UV beamers improve on that at everything, a lot. They bypass all the easy defenses. They don't miss, which even the best lasers do a significant fraction of the time.

They don't at all measure up to their pulse relatives against planets, though.

Interesting. I was playing a very similar game of 1.6.3 to yours, with lots of income, although nothing like 20M so far. I would have said the opposite about green beamer PD. It hasn't been at all effective, failing even in engagements with fairly small missile salvoes, at least for the Morrigi with their pop-up turrets.

In fact, red laser PD doesn't seem as effective as in BoB either, and gauss PD seems better than it was, so I'm using more of that than I used to before inventing fire control or AI.
Life is sometimes stranger than fiction

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Morrigi PD of any form is slightly less effective than other races during the initial salvo, due to the time lost for the turrets to pop up. Once they're up and engaging, though, they have excellent coverage.

kknd2

Post by kknd2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:16 pm

nickersonm wrote:Morrigi PD of any form is slightly less effective than other races during the initial salvo, due to the time lost for the turrets to pop up. Once they're up and engaging, though, they have excellent coverage.

an issue that can be compensated for by ordering the vessel to fire on a target, at which point all weapons are deployed.
The Liir says the glass is half full.
The Hiver says the glass is half empty.
While they argue about it, the Zuul comes along, drinks what's left, and removes all doubt. - KKND2

Riztro

Post by Riztro » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:18 am

kknd2 wrote:
nickersonm wrote:Morrigi PD of any form is slightly less effective than other races during the initial salvo, due to the time lost for the turrets to pop up. Once they're up and engaging, though, they have excellent coverage.

an issue that can be compensated for by ordering the vessel to fire on a target, at which point all weapons are deployed.

Assuming there is a target in range, not always the case as before you start fielding deepscan sections missile fire often comes from outside sensor range.
It´s amazing how constant repetition can render even the most basic fact disagreeable.

Return to “The Weapons”