Beams (including Phasers) & Heavy Beams

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mesaia

Re: Beams (including Phasers) & Heavy Beams

Post by Mesaia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:20 am

IN reverse order..

Mecron did mention that Pulse Phasers and Snipers have the range to be used as small mounts on DNs. So.. I don't get your last complaint.

My Cutting Beams armed DNs have absolutely no trouble targeting and shooting other DNs. I don't know what trouble you are having. The Energy Cannons usually have no trouble ranging on enemy DNs as well.

Are you perhaps on some odd and outdated patch?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:00 am

yes, have to say have not seen that behaviour at all in DN vs DN combat. What AI mode are you using?

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if this happened with the basic heavy lasers and some of the shorter-ranged weapons like phasers and particle beams.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:31 am

as designed, yes.

Iztok

Post by Iztok » Sat May 08, 2010 11:28 am

Hi!
In my current 1.7.2 game I've seen my two UV Beamers "connecting" to a planetary missile and not destroying it. Two UV Beamers should do 2*97.5 points of damage, while heavy planetary missile had 150 "hitpoints". So more than enough damage available to destroy one.

What this event indicates is either:
1) UV Beamers not hitting the missile, despite I've seen them "following" it, or
2) Missiles getting the 50% damage decrease from Improved Reflective "armor" the opponent had.

What am I missing? :?

BR, Iztok

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 pm

...a life?

(sorry...can't resist the easy ones. I am a weak, bad man!)

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Maybe they just didn't connect for long enough? Judging by the behavior of heavier beams they often start shooting before they connect and then adjust. For short burst, slow-tracking beams you might lose a significant portion of the damage that way.

I'm not sure how many "damage pulses" a continuous beam weapon does, but safe to say that straying from the target for even some will lower the damage dealt.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Iztok

Post by Iztok » Sat May 15, 2010 11:12 am

Hi!
Mecron wrote:...a life?

:thumbsup:

I guess I got what I've been asking for. I'm going to phrase my future questions more carefully, to avoid addressing your dark side. ;)

BR, Iztok

JohnnyRico20

Post by JohnnyRico20 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Hello all. I come before you with a humble request to continue a question.

I have read Crazyshak48 question on pulsed gravity beams causing a target to be flung and the response from ZedF.

Crazyshak48 wrote:...Finally, is there any way to direct how the graviton beam swings its target around? I've had some really uneven luck with how they move their victim around. It's very frustrating to watch the beams yank a Hiver dreadnought right out of the line of fire of my cutting beams. ...

ZedF wrote:Turning the facing of your ship (by giving movement orders) probably impacts graviton beams swinging targets around. ...

I am having the same problem. Perhaps even more severe of a case.
Let me briefly describe the situation:

I am playing as Liir with pulsed gravity beams and cutting beams on dreadnoughts. While defending a planet (for example) I first start in the normal stance and double click a location just past the incoming fleet. I also set my dreadnoughts to face in the direction of travel. Then, before my fleet actually meets the incoming fleet, I tell the ships to stop and face the target. My ships stop moving before they are engaged by the enemy fleet and are already facing the opposition. As they engage, the beam will sometimes push a target, or it will start pulling on a target. This will cause my ship to start tracking the target while the beam is engaged. Thusly the enemy ship begins to move in an arc with increasing velocity. So frustrating! I spam the s-key in an effort to stop my ship from moving until the pulsed gravity beam stops firing, recharging its banks. The enemy ship however is already in motion.

What is going on?
Is this a factor of Liir? Their ships being so maneuverable and fast are maybe just not that well suited? What have you experienced while playing Liir?
Also, what am I doing wrong? How is it that you maneuver your ships into position for a pulsed gravity or even tractor beam freezing?

Thank you, really.

JohnnyRico20

Post by JohnnyRico20 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:12 am

I just realized I should have included the following:

Dreadnoughts are equipped with energy absorbers, causing pulsed gravitation beams to fire regularly.
Also the pulling seems to occur most often when pulsed gravitation beams further along the hull, towards the mid or aft section, begin to fire.

Sorry to have left this out.

Thank you again.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:11 am

Fire your heavy beams first and then fire the gravy beams to hold them in place.

It's all relative, the gravy beam will try to fix the enemy ship at a particular distance. If you have only one turret firing, the turret will hold the enemy at a particular distance but will allow it to move freely along the surface of the the firing arc. If you have two, it will allow the target to move along the line described by the firing arcs of the two beam. If you have three, it will fix the target at the point described by the firing arcs of the three beams.

Oh, and to add, it takes into account the ships 'center of mass'.

JohnnyRico20

Post by JohnnyRico20 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Thank you, this is actually really helpful.
I use the greater range of cutting beams to gauge the future affect of pulsed gravity beams before they fire.
Your insight into the center of mass, of both ships I assume, is also extremely helpful. Moving the beam target location along the hull of the enemy ship affects the push or pull differently relative to beams firing along the hull (center of mass) of my ship.

I am also experimenting in the design screen with weapon groups. Designating pulsed gravity beams as separate weapon groups in an effort to more effectively turn them off if they begin to fling targets.

Thanks again!

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:46 am

You're welcome! :)

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:11 am

Asteroids break up when you hit them, foiling most weapon targeting. Beamers act like pulse phasers and destroy two or three at a time, though implosion are the best :)
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:07 am

Wiki say Lancer does 500,000 Population Damage. But Lancer fire for 2.5 second. How much Population Damage then Lancer does in 2.5 second: 500,000 or 1,250,000?

Return to “The Weapons”