Ballistic Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mecron
Kerberos

Ballistic Weapons

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:33 am

Your place to ask questions and make observations about Ballistic Weapons in the Sots Universe. Ballistic direct fire weapon come in all 3 turret sizes and even includes the super-heavy Siege Driver Special Mount and a rapid fire point defence version.

splintercell56

Post by splintercell56 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:46 am

Are their other ballistic weapons in the small turret category other then Gauss Cannons?

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:52 am

Besides gauss cannons and gauss PD, nope. Though Gauss w/ VRF is a pretty good small weapon until you get up there in the laser tree.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Bossman
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Bossman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:54 am

Or emitters.
All offers void where prohibited, but especially in Quebec.

splintercell56

Post by splintercell56 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:06 am

Thats the thing tho, I really like Ballistic weapons. Having to research both Laser and Ballistics is kind of annoying. Is their a possibility in a patch for the full version or expansion that we will see more Ballistic weapons?

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:22 am

ballistics will pay off big time if you get to siege cannons. Also I think some of the shinier ballistic guns like bursters don't show up in the demo (either that or I haven't seen them yet)
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Bossman
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Bossman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:32 am

Anything past mass drivers has been cut out of the demo because you can't use them without cruisers.
All offers void where prohibited, but especially in Quebec.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:02 am

yes there is a ballistic weapon for every turret size as well as bursters, thumpers and neutronum rounds tech that makes everything hit harder. There is lots of ballisitic love in that tree. :wink:

jefe414

Point defense weapons

Post by jefe414 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Question:
Is it worth using a couple of small weapon mounts to house point defense on your other warships (such as the tankers, c&c or even on the forward and rear armor turrets)?
"If someone tries to kill you... you try and kill 'em right back." -Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:53 pm

I'm not sure about with destroyers, but I do know that when I roll with cruisers or dreadnoughts in the beta I tend to put a few PD turrets in so I get good defensive coverage instead of having to worry about dedicated point defense. Granted with those ships the medium and large turrets are what do most of the damage so those small turrets just cry out for a point defense mount.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Kaorti

Post by Kaorti » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:18 pm

I like to put PD mounts on my support ships and my non-combat ships, that way, If I'm hard pressed and get down to them in my reinfocements, they perform a useful funcion beyond distractions. They tend to be much better at shooting down missiles than at swarming combat ships.
Erinys gave me an E-Cookie! Yay!
For those arranging games: I'm on GMT -5

Spoon

Post by Spoon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 pm

I. Love. Mass. Drivers.

Spinal around you puny human! Spine I command you Harr Harr Harr! *Shoots an other round* You like doing 360's don't you? Blargh blargh
(Can you guess I like having Tarka destroyers with 3 Mass drivers equiped? :P )
Boobies

OF-pathfinder

Post by OF-pathfinder » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:56 am

I like mass drivers along with emitters. Shake and zap baby! I repeatedly take down larger Tarka fleets with that combo.

Fun watching mass driver rounds spin the Tarkas into each other :lol:

Then frying them with a dose of emitter.

PiousFlea

Post by PiousFlea » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:56 am

What exactly are Gauss Cannons good for, other than getting upgraded to PD gauss?

In the very early game, with everything unupgraded, an ER with all gauss will beat an ER with all red lasers. However, the moment you get green (and then UV) lasers your gauss guns become obsolete. From what I can tell in the demo, the Light weapons mount seems to basically be a PD slot anyways - as soon as you get a half decent Medium weapon (plasma guns or mdrivers) the damage that ships take from light weapons is nearly irrelevant. Sure, a gauss will hit a cruiser/dread harder than a laser will, but that seems like saying that a SCV will kill a fully upgraded Ultralisk faster than a Probe will. Sure, but in either case it doesn't amount to much.

Are gausses supposed to be useful for anything other than the first few ER scouts? Do they eventually get upgraded to a more hard-hitting Light weapons mount? Or is the Light weapons mount condemned to being point defense and poor man's point defense. (lasers when you dont have PD tech)
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law

Draven

Post by Draven » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:06 am

Ballistic weapons have a small knock around effect, this effect is small but noticable with a guass small mount. In numbers this can result in an enemy ship having a greatly altered path because they will continiously be knocked around, this can also turn ships so that they cant aim their primary weapons. I was in a game with mecron, and though i was not the combatant apparently one of the enemy players had gauss destroyers and ended up knocking one of mecron's destroyer into an asteroid and thus killing it. A single gauss is useless when compared to green or better lasers, but with enough gauss they can become effective tools. So while gauss ships will do less damage than green laser ships and significantly less than uv laser ships, they will have more control over the fight especially if you have a tight group of gauss destroyers.

Return to “The Weapons”