Ballistic Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Ballistic Weapons

Post by ZedF » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 pm

In general, for ballistics, I find that bigger is usually better. 2 AP mass drivers have less DPS than 1 AP heavy driver, considerably less range, and slightly less accuracy at range, while still having a fast enough recharge rate that being swarmed with small targets isn't really an issue. If I don't need to worry about enemy armour, and have fire control available, bursters will tend to outdamage most other large mount weapons in the game.

For other weapons categories in the game, especially specialty ones such as heavy beams or projectors, this isn't necessarily true. Long recharge times are not always good against destroyers, though there are some long recharge weapons that murder DDs with AoE effects or beam accuracy.

Overall, however, most large mount weapons have the potential to outperform their smaller bretheren. It's good to be on the lookout for the exception cases, though!
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm

To be more specific, a large ball driver hits about three times as hard as a medium one. For AP drivers, the large AP driver does about as much as two mediums but the increased range is really nice.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:42 am

I tend to use Gauss cannons still on my ships, despite the fact that I've long since upgraded to Pulse Phasers. I like having a broad mix of weapons on my ships so I can deal with any situation. And like it was said on page 1, Gauss cannons knock people around pretty good. When you're up against an enemy using ships with fixed mount weapons; Like spinal mount destroyers, for example; It can be nearly impossible for them to get a shot off when they're being knocked around like rag dolls.

The only problem is that being knocked around like that can sometimes screw up your own shots, and they're inaccurate to begin with anyway. You can have a grand old time slapping Fire Control on a dedicated ballistics cruiser, I guess, but it's usually not worth the slot. Late game most of the damage usually comes from your high-energy weapons like antimatter cannons, but mass drivers and such still have a place late game as they are not affected by shields that would block high-energy attacks.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Mightypeon

Post by Mightypeon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Imho, Impactors strike me as a bit too strong in single player. Please allow me to explain my reasoning:

-As human, I fell in love with the following ship:
-Cruiser, Battle Bridge, Impactor, Focused Fusion.
The armament went as follows:
-All medium mounts with Missles (usually Fusion at this time), all large mounts with AP-mass Drivers and the Beam slot is usually a simple HCL.
-All small slots are various kind of point defense
The thing is: This ship is only marginally less effective in direct combat than, lets say a Blazer BB cruiser, and it is amazingly multipurpose!
-It can siege planets (sit out of range and reduce Inf to 0 with Impactors)
-It is quite good in most space battle situations
-The big Rocket payload backed by the Heavy AP Drivers often takes care of Destroyer swarms, who would normally pose significant problems for Impactor fans.
-These Fusion cruisers are still usefull in AM age, since Impactors + AM missles can hurt most things,
-Impactors are high cost effective against most menaces
-The biggest problem are deflectors, however, not everyone in their fleet will have a deflectors, and if you split your fleet into 2 parts, one or both of these parts will get shots at the deflectors back sides, if they do close in, one can still try to snipe the deflector section with the HCL.
-The AI does not effectivly use Jammers in tactical battle.
-Basically, impactors appear to murder unprepared people, and still be 50/50 against prepared ones. Perhaps they could do with less armour?

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:04 am

Impactors were shifted to AM era in the latest patch.

Mightypeon

Post by Mightypeon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Oh, need to get it! Shiny!

Hmm, some theoricrafting on Impactors in Anti Matter Age:

-Anti Matter means that decent shields are likely to be around. This makes getting shieldbreakers into a good idea (and there is a large turret slot on most Impactors).
-Anti Matter means things go faster, means Impactors get less time to shoot up people.

This seems to be an excellent design decision!

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:06 am

Mightypeon wrote:Oh, need to get it! Shiny!

Hmm, some theoricrafting on Impactors in Anti Matter Age:

-Anti Matter means that decent shields are likely to be around. This makes getting shieldbreakers into a good idea (and there is a large turret slot on most Impactors).

Not anymore, the sections were changed somewhat too. You just get some medium and small mounts.... not that the shield breaker would have enough range to matter anyway, once you got close enough to use it the railcannons would be a lot less effective.
You could still use EM torps, though, they have a bit more reach.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Mightypeon

Post by Mightypeon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 am

I am just starting with the new patch...
The AM age also means that, in close ranges, you are competing with Mesons/Cutting beams/Am cannons and not with Heavy combat Lasers. This does make them much less effective at close range that they were before, since even with bad accuracy, HCL do not outdamage Impactors by that much close on.

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Not to mention that ships with Gravy Beams and disruptor line torpedoes can pretty much neutralize Impactors entirely at close range.

Vengashii

Post by Vengashii » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:19 am

how explosive can a warhead get before it gets to the energy released by splitting an atom?

(as in, how explosive are those missiles that aren't nuclear, fusion, or antimatter?)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:39 am

All regular missiles in SotS are fission, fusion, or AM. Interceptor, corrosives, and nanites are the only non-nuclear missiles. Interceptors do a lot of damage to pd-eligible targets but don't hurt ships at all. Corrosives do about as much damage as a fusion missile hit, every second. Nanites double that unless you have counter-nanites.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

TriNova

Post by TriNova » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:46 am

Nanites are equivalent to an AM missile impact every second? I had no idea that they were that powerful. I always preferred big guns to them because I've never really seen them accomplish anything.

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:02 pm

TriNova wrote:Nanites are equivalent to an AM missile impact every second? I had no idea that they were that powerful. I always preferred big guns to them because I've never really seen them accomplish anything.

Corrosive/Nanite missiles are very useful in certain circumstances, especially against Hiver DNs as they're trying to turn. A nanite warhead will do 300 damage/second over 18 seconds, and keep in mind that that adds up quickly if the cloud can touch more than one ship. Of course that applies to ANY ship, even yours (until you get Smart Nanites), so keep that in mind when having fun with them.

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Probably nothing new for you veterans, but I like to comment on it anyway:

I am amazed by the Rail Cannon, especially when combined with the AI command. The range is extreme. And with the AIC it can even hit a destroyer when it is so far away that the only way to target it is to use the Sensor view and click on it (before it is even visible in the normal view). Also, the effect on the poor target is cool to watch. Even DNs are moved by the impact. It is definitely one of my favorite weapons. 8)

Also I have found the Siege Driver very useful when taking out the VN home world. But it is way to destructive for my taste on normal planets, since I like to live there after I have cleared out the enemies…
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

ZedF wrote:All regular missiles in SotS are fission, fusion, or AM. Interceptor, corrosives, and nanites are the only non-nuclear missiles. Interceptors do a lot of damage to pd-eligible targets but don't hurt ships at all. Corrosives do about as much damage as a fusion missile hit, every second. Nanites double that unless you have counter-nanites.

What about the ballistic kinetic missile? Is that also nuclear then??

Return to “The Weapons”