Ballistic Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Ballistic Weapons

Post by ZedF » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:37 pm

No, but it never shows up in my tree so it doesn't count. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:00 pm

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:What about the ballistic kinetic missile? Is that also nuclear then??

Well, I suppose if the missile hit hard enough, the heat generated by the impact might be enough to initiate a short-lived fusion reaction.
Life is like a box of chocolates: the map is always wrong, the good ones are always taken and if you see something that looks nice, nine times out of ten there's something vile lurking at its core.

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm

I have a question about the siege driver. Does it really inflict zero damage when used against another ship? That is what the combat report says.
I suspect it does a lot of damage. What is visible during the combat is the effect it has when hitting the enemy ship. Even a DN is stopped and pushed backwards.

Edit: I checked the Wiki, and it says that the damage is “Collision”. When I checked the KK missile a maximum damage of 1040 is given, but there are no maximum damage given for the siege driver. How much damage does a collision do? Is it worth using a Siege Driver DN in a combat?
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Collision damage may display on the combat results as damage inflicted by the colliding ship. It may be included in the 47,685 that your siege DN dished out. On the other hand, it may only show on the damage recieved by the target.

In general, I find that siege drivers are very poor anti-ship weapons, but great for platnetary bombardment. The threat of the incoming asteroid is something that cannot be ignored; I think the AI priority targets them like assault shuttles or bio-missiles.

I'm sure that collision damage is a factor of mass and relative speed, and so is difficult to predict.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks.

I agree with you that siege driver is not particularly good against ships. I just had to try. When only the VN home world remains (all the other “ships” have been destroyed), I normally use a siege driver and an impactor to take it down. It is very good at that!
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Lithose

Post by Lithose » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:08 pm

I hope people still check here, have some newbie questions to ask :)..Forgive me if they have been answered, I checked the whole thread but didn't see them.

First, is fire control (Or AI command section) needed with AP rounds? Or is it kind of a waste to have that section given how accurate AP rounds are already?

Second, if you DO have AI fire control, might it be more damage over time if you use normal mass drivers (Non-AP) and fire control, than simply AP with no fire control? (Given my opponent doesn't have heavy army techs.)

And lastly (Ill post this in the mod section too, I know it's a bit off topic)...But is there any kind of ship builder/mock fight tester so I can test load outs and techs? :)

Thanks for anyone who takes the time, really love the game, kicking myself for not picking it up until this year.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Ballistic Weapons

Post by ZedF » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Most of the time you don't need fire control with AP drivers; it will help them, but probably not as much as a more heavily armed and armoured command section in most cases. At least if you aren't trying to hang back at extreme heavy driver range.

Regular mass drivers + fire control will do more damage than AP drivers but only to unarmoured targets. Generally if I am using this combo it's because I'm fighting an opponent with an armour deficiency. Also the lower range, slower projectile velocity, and increased knockback potential are factors worth considering.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Sentenza

Post by Sentenza » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing about Stormers?
This is Statistic: Stormers - Mass Drivers
Damage: 40x10 - 170
Recharge: 10 - 5
Resultant theoretical max dps: 40 - 34
Range: 145, 340, 475 - 280, 475, 780
Deviation: 4, 5, 6 - 4, 5, 6
Deflection: -80% - -100%
Turret Tracking: 60% - 100%

So they get more deflects, have 60% of the range, track 60% as fast, stormer bullets have an additional 1 in deviation, and a marginal (15%) increase in dps.

Considering the Stormer is a dead end tech (the heavy stormer doesn't compare any more favorably towards the heavy driver), and the Mass Driver being a required Tech for Stormers (so Stormers are in addition much more expensive to research), what are reasons to get Stormers?

Thanks for any insight :)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 pm

A couple things you haven't considered:
- Stormers are more bursty than mass drivers; as a result their alpha strike potential is stronger.
- Stormers do considerably less knockback than mass drivers, and as a result they don't tend to spoil follow-up shots as frequently.
- While stormer deviation is not any better than mass drivers, their shot speed is considerably higher; the target has less time to move out of the way. As a result, their effective accuracy is in fact superior to regular mass drivers.

In practice, stormers tend to be considerably more painful to unarmoured targets than regular mass drivers. So generally you want them if your opponent has an armour tech deficiency (Zuul have reasonable chances not to get any metal armours at all) or if you are expecting to be using them against a lot of soft targets like freighters (e.g. using Commerce Raiding) or stations. Heavy Stormers are similarly painful to targets with only Polysilicate armour as their individual bullets have an even higher DPS advantage relative to Heavy Drivers. Also, if you fail shield breakers, stormers can put a lot of DPS onto a shielded target in a short period of time, hopefully knocking down a bubble shield.

That said, I do consider them to be a specialty weapon, and not so much a general-purpose one, simply because armour tends to be not that hard to come by in most cases and will substantially reduce stormer performance. In general if I am looking for a mass driver upgrade, I will prefer AP drivers as they are more generally and reliably useful.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “The Weapons”