Ballistic Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Darkchampion

Post by Darkchampion » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:23 pm

firing a shell with a magnetic coil still creates the same kick as firing it with a chemical explosive, as defined by Newton's 3rd law :) Push on a repulsing magnet and it will push back even tho you arent actually touching it.

YamatoTwinkie

Post by YamatoTwinkie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:53 pm

Draven wrote:We have anti recoil technology now, so into the future i dont seea problem with the firing ship not being sent flying after shooting. Yes something needs to be done with that energy, such as the barrel moving backwards like an artillery cannon; and they do.

"Anti-recoil technology" doesn't negate recoil (momentum is still conserved), it just spreads it out over a longer period of time.

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Draven wrote:We have anti recoil technology now, so into the future i dont seea problem with the firing ship not being sent flying after shooting. Yes something needs to be done with that energy, such as the barrel moving backwards like an artillery cannon; and they do. Another possability is that the gauss cannons and such dont use a pure explosion projection and use or assist with magnetic fields to increase the velocity of the projectile without creating a massive recoil.

The problem with anti recoil tech is that it's all intended not to make recoil go away (this is impossible with the physical laws we know today) but to spread it out over a period of time. Artillery cannons move backward but are constantly braked, thus spreading the energy from the projectile over a period of time. This helps because artillery cannons sit on the ground and the ground can absorb the recoil. Space ships don't sit on the ground. That recoil is not going anywhere, no matter how slowly you apply it.

[Edit: Darn my slow typing!]
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Dar25

Post by Dar25 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:14 pm

*Look at this thread and thinks outloud..."

Wow and i thought I was nit-picky.. :shock: :lol:

oogs

Post by oogs » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Umm... has anyone thought that it's just a game? and if you really want to get all technical, can't the ship that's firing the projectile just use it's thrusters (main or manuvering) to counter-act the recoil? Like when the DN fires the siege cannon, which is like a small asteroid, it could just fire it's engines and start moving forward just enough so that when it fires the forward-facing gun the DN will stop moving, but the round will go really fast.

Agent
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Agent » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:47 pm

That and if you give a gamer recoil, theyll just use it to move.

Heh, that newb is using missles, FIRE ALL WEAPONS!

(ship then proceeds to reach mach 20)
Ï€ - This is pi. My sig is now irrational.
The Iron Chef has the solution to the hiver menace.

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:51 pm

Yes. It's just a game. And it's fun as is, in my opinion. That doesn't stop me from thinking this discussion is also fun. :)

I know I used the recoil heavily to move the tanks in the GTA games. The tanks were definitely the vehicles who could jump longest, given a sufficiently long stretch in which to accelerate.
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Hmm...did any of you guys think, that maybe, they might have thought about this stuff when they were designing the ships? They being the engineers who designed the ships in the first place. You honestly think they wouldn't put in enough stabilization thrusters? Or pull out their slide rules and figure out how much force is being generated on firing and design the ship's thrusters to compensate on a reflexive action? Or slow down the force with a recoil inhibitor and spread out the force over a long enough time that they wouldn't need to put out as much force in an instant? Braking can happen in space too, you just need precise thruster firings. :wink:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Yes, but you see Tssha they are obviously complete and utter dolts and we are smarter then them. DOLTS I SAY!
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Although I am curious if it would be possible to have all that recoil condensed to a particular object so that it doesn't spread out over the whole ship? What if firing a gauss cannon it simltaniously launces a projectile in the exact opposite direction? (ignore it going INTO the ship). Or maybe if the turret itself spins and takes the recoil itself instead of giving it to the ship it's bolted to?

Either way, while I've loved techno-babble and speculative aspects of sci-fi (alot), I also just as easily accept : "It's the future! ....they thought of something!" because then you can be really creative ;)
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:54 pm

Know what would be awesome? If they came up with a system that shot out ice cream in order to counter balance the recoil. Whatever race came up with that would have the best ships ever, period.
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:56 pm

I don't know if I'd surrender to the ICBCM (ice-cream ballistic counter measures) or try and get on their "good" side in a fire fight instead.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:42 pm

The Magus wrote:Although I am curious if it would be possible to have all that recoil condensed to a particular object so that it doesn't spread out over the whole ship? What if firing a gauss cannon it simltaniously launces a projectile in the exact opposite direction? (ignore it going INTO the ship). Or maybe if the turret itself spins and takes the recoil itself instead of giving it to the ship it's bolted to?

The turret spinning? Sorry. There was this fellow Dean who claimed to have invented a device to turn angular momentum directly into linear momentum (and I think the other way around) but it was pure bullshit. A spinning turret will at most do a bit of delaying of the recoil, and probably (if the spinning is to have any delaying effect) also shake the ship horribly.

Shooting another projectile with the same kinetic energy in the opposite direction is definitely possible, though I would think these other projectiles could be better described as "reaction mass" and this other gun as an "engine" since the purpose of it is to accelerate the ship, not dish out damage... And hey, ships already have engines! How practical! ;)

PiousFlea

Post by PiousFlea » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:40 pm

Oddly enough, people complain about mass drivers sending ships spinning instead of the other things such as:

Four different races discovered four completely different mechanisms for FTL travel, but none of them have been able to combine two of them.

It takes at least a dozen nuclear missiles to destroy a 30 meter long ship.

Almost all weapons fired at a planet will hit the equator. You'd think people would just build colonies at the poles.

You need to research fusion power before you can make fusion missiles.

Minelayers never run out of mines. Missile ships never run out of missiles.

A planet can convert 100% of its economy from construction to trade in a single year. In fact, it does so automatically if it isn't constructing anything.

If i wanted realism, I wouldn't be playing a game about angry reptiles in space. (SNAKES ON A PLANE!)
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law

EntropyAvatar

Post by EntropyAvatar » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:52 pm

PiousFlea wrote:Oddly enough, people complain about mass drivers sending ships spinning instead of the other things such as:...

Well, see how much time just talking about momentum is taking? Is it any wonder we haven't got to all that other good stuff yet? All in good time, faithful bug, all in good time.

Return to “The Weapons”