Bio Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mecron
Kerberos

Bio Weapons

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:36 am

Your place to ask questions and make observations about Bio Weapons in the Sots Universe. Bio Weapons take the form of various insidious plagues are delivered to planets via special weapon mount based missiles.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:37 am

well, biomissiles seem to be one shot weapons.

what do i need to rearm them after a combat?

friendly planet or repair ship around? cause mine were still empty at the next turn of the siege while the missile section was intact.

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:19 pm

Biomissles are battle rider weapons like assault shuttles, they just happen to explode when they reach the target (as opposed to assault shuttles which come home after their job). As such, it is considered to be minor damage for the carrier ship so you'll need to repair the missile ship to get the missile back. They are really really effective though, so if you've either got a lot of them or a repair ship (full game only) they totally do a number on planets.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:24 pm

k, that clears it up why they were empty the next round. 8)

Peanut Gallery
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Peanut Gallery » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Do the Bio missiles become useless when your opponent researches vaccine, or does it just reduce the damage done to the planet?
(\_,/)
(O.o) This is Bunny.
(> <)
Copy Bunny to your signature
to help him achieve world domination

Draven

Post by Draven » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:18 pm

I finally managed to use the bio missiles today, and i like them. Had 1 cnc, 5 destroyers and 4 bio ships with the retro virus. He had 5 sats and a few destroyers(been an ongoing fight). This was a size 10 world, and since my destroyers are light emitter based, they couldnt do a thing to the planet. So i brought up some bio ships, manuvered them away from the rest of my ships, had my destroyers engage the sats and his destroyers. Had the 4 bio ships fire their missile, saw it hit the planet and nothing. I was thinking 'hmm... since nothing happened figuring either the damage would happen next turn or he had the vaccine'. But next turn his 99 infrastructure 9,800,000 people world became a 99 infra size 10 hazard 15 colony for me.

jefe414

Post by jefe414 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:21 pm

Yeah, I found that 4 retro virus missiles will cripple a planet...
"If someone tries to kill you... you try and kill 'em right back." -Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm

It takes a turn for the bugs to get to work, but when they do people start dying! And the vaccine is 100% effective I believe.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:41 pm

just a warning. After you have sterilized a planet try Not to bring your fleet back... my planet got infected :P
Veni Vini Vici

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:42 pm

*starts to wonder about the colonists that landed the day after the plague killed the enemy population*
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Major Diarrhia

Post by Major Diarrhia » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:08 pm

It sounds like an extremely inconsistent event. Why would the crew members even go down to the planet to get infected in the first place? Also, I thought the plagues are engineered for specific species, not in the tech tree but in the story. Realisticaly, wouldn't they have to be since the aliens are so alien in this game? It would be like a gelly fish catching a cold virus.

Or was it an unrelated event?

Sikthyr

Post by Sikthyr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:41 pm

I like to think the plague converts the enemy into food for my people. Like how they make potatoe chips.

Is there a way to tell if the enemy has a plague vaccine before commiting to researching and building bio ships?

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:07 pm

You could ask them if they have the vaccine, but then do you trust their answer??

I like bio-weapons (I may end up playing Liir just to get the bio-weapony goodness)

The other night I had a fleet of ~40 bio-weapon ships with ~30 that would arrive on the front line within a turn or two.

I just ignored the enemy fleet and launched missiles from the node-line.

The enemy fleet, sat ring, and ICBMs couldn't intercept the missiles fast enough (abot 15 plague missiles got through and hit the Tarka homeworld :lol: . I launched a salvo of 22. :twisted: )

edit: Major, the bio-weapons are engineered to hurt anything carbon-based.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

interviewers

Post by interviewers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:43 pm

Do the biowar ships reload, or is it just one shot per section?

Bossman
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Bossman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:55 pm

BioWar destroyers get one shot, and then they need to be repaired to get another missile.
All offers void where prohibited, but especially in Quebec.

Return to “The Weapons”