Bio Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Crazyshak48

Re: Bio Weapons

Post by Crazyshak48 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm sure most people here have heard of Valve's big name zombie shooter called Left 4 Dead that came out late last year. I got it recently and it's quite fun. Out of curiosity, I did some checking, and the game's zombies are not in fact undead, but rather "living humans infected with a rabies-like pathogen" that turns them into insane slavering killing machines.

Now, to those who enjoy their bioweapons in SotS, does this sound familiar to anyone :D

Now after reading that, every time I play L4D I find myself looking around for the telepathic dolphins in tentacled powersuits who have come to claim our society after hitting us with a Beast Bomb. Kudos to Arinn for making me think I'm in the SotS-verse even while I'm playing other games :)

Crazyshak48

Post by Crazyshak48 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:24 pm

I have a question about the nano plague. Does it "spread" like the other viruses do, and does it dissipate after the infrastructure on an enemy planet is depleted, allowing the enemy to rebuild? I'm trying to use it in my current game, as I am vastly outgunned and outproduced by an empire with the universal antigen, and I'm hoping that the nano plague might help tip the scales. I'd just like to know a little more about the characteristics of it.

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:00 pm

So... Here's what I'm wondering. We know Plague and Retro-Virus hit 20% and 35% of the planets population respectively, and can infect an orbiting fleet so it in turn infects other planets.

But what about Beast Bombs, Nano-Virii and Assimilation Plagues? How much of the population do they infect? According to the wiki, it's variable- but variable to what degree? 5-10%? 10-25%? 0-90%? Do they infect orbiting fleets?

For that matter, how does infecting an orbiting fleet work, anyway? Is it a set chance, or dependant on how much of the planet is infected? How long does the chance of infection last? Only, It'd be really embarassing if you biologically genocided a planet, then ten turns later forgot you'd done it and accidentally infected half your empire.

Oh, and an Assimilation Plague-only question. Multiple missile hits will infect more of the population, right? So, does that cause more or less damage in the "rebellion"? I'd assume less, since there would be less resistance to create battles, and thus damage.

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Assimilation plague has a set chance to work, depending on how many missiles you fire. t either works or it doesn't.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:45 am

Uh-huh. Do we know what that chance is? Or the answers to the rest of the questions? 'Cause If it's possible to wipe out half your empire 'cause you forgot one world got biobombed twenty turns back or somesuch, that's pretty important.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:01 am

beware answers from those who don't really know what they are talking about :thumbsup:

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:30 am

Huh. 'Cause in all my experience with assimilation plagues (lots of use with farcasted shielded hiver cruisers), they either work or they don't. Follow-up forces never found a half-laed world.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:07 am

That's probably because the game doesn't hand control of the world over to you unless the virus is successful. That doesn't mean that there isn't fighting between the infected and the uninfected for control of the planet.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:43 pm

exactly :thumbsup:

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Speaking of plagues and viruses, can the Zuul find, acquire and build Nano Virus weapons?
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

ignus

Post by ignus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Nope.

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Crap. I'm always wondering what a Zuul Bio War ship would look like
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

bmac4417

Post by bmac4417 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:21 pm

It would look just exactly like a colonizer and function the same way. (The Zuul ARE the plague against anything.)

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Well... True.

Barleyman

Post by Barleyman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:29 am

I tried bio weapons 1st time this week and they really do have some interesting applications... Also the AI never ever did use bioweapons against me so either pre-ANY it just wouldn't happen or the AI won't use bioweapons 1st but after YOU use it, everyone will use it against you?

Return to “The Weapons”