Shields

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Winterbrew89

Re: Shields

Post by Winterbrew89 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:11 pm

growing up with sots has been such a special pleasure...um..you'll still be around when it wants to talk about its monthly visitor right?

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:05 am

pff, the VNs are way more than monthly nowadays -_-

Astatine

Post by Astatine » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:01 am

Mecron wrote:you are all most welcome...and this is exactly why we pursued this "living strat game" path. Its harder for us for sure but if you guys were going to play for over 2 years now, we wanted you to feel like your game was growing up with you :wink:

What puts me in awe is the contrast between the evolution of SotS and that other long-haul game - The Sims 2. With SotS the game never seemed half-finished and the extra features in BoB didn't have a "bolt-on expansion" feel. I actually feel a bit sorry for people whose first experience of the game is AMoC. They'll have arrived at the same glorious destination as the rest of us but without experiencing the same great journey.
Life is sometimes stranger than fiction

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:31 am

I was just wondering... shields are still pretty big targets... I would suppose that Stormers are pretty good at the shield popping role in the later game eh?

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:03 am

Still nowhere near as good as shield breakers I bet...

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:06 am

Well yeah, but you don't have to research shield-breakers.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 am

Nothing's forcing you to research stormers either. ;) Though they are cheaper than shield breakers and fit in a medium slot. Pity about the range, though.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

xRei

Post by xRei » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:06 am

And to anyone who hasn't tried them, shields rock nowadays. Using them a lot in my current game as Liir.. Even Mk1 and 2 shields are worth looking at IMO. Mk 1 shields absorb 800 damage now and recharge in 20 seconds.. A marked improvement. Mk4 recharges in 10 and (Not sure on absorption but its probably like 1800 or so).. The Quantum Capacitors and Shield Booster really make the shields just.. uber. twice the strength and even less recharge time.. Takes some pretty intense focus fire to bring a shielded cruiser down. Or a shield breaker round. I've had single shielded cruisers in my game take as much dmg as a dreadnought at come out with only scratches.
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Do meson beams penetrate shields as their description suggests? I've never actually fought anything else with them to test it.

Connll

Post by Connll » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 pm

xRei wrote:And to anyone who hasn't tried them, shields rock nowadays. Using them a lot in my current game as Liir.. Even Mk1 and 2 shields are worth looking at IMO. Mk 1 shields absorb 800 damage now and recharge in 20 seconds.. A marked improvement. Mk4 recharges in 10 and (Not sure on absorption but its probably like 1800 or so).. The Quantum Capacitors and Shield Booster really make the shields just.. uber. twice the strength and even less recharge time.. Takes some pretty intense focus fire to bring a shielded cruiser down. Or a shield breaker round. I've had single shielded cruisers in my game take as much dmg as a dreadnought at come out with only scratches.

If a cruiser (no matter how well shielded) is capable of whitstand more punishment then a Dread, then shield are overpowered and need to be toned down.

Or, in my humble opinion, make Dreads EVEN stronger! :twisted:

MORE ARMOR!
SHIELDS!
WEAPONS SYSTEMS!!
YARRR!

End rant. :oops:
Strength and Honor.

martinl

Post by martinl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:42 pm

YARRR!

What, you want a pirate cannon?

I guess it could do Haz damage by lowering planetary temperatures...
-martinl
The Ammonite Heresy - Liir vs. Locusts
Bob and Fred's Excellent Adventure - Two Hippies, Seven Hard Zuul AIs

Overdose

Post by Overdose » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:48 am

martinl wrote:
YARRR!

What, you want a pirate cannon?

I guess it could do Haz damage by lowering planetary temperatures...

Although a piracy based Assault shuttle would be nice (steals money/resources instead of killing people?) but thats for another topic...unless we're talking about assault shuttles having a shield option.

xRei

Post by xRei » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:11 am

Connll wrote:If a cruiser (no matter how well shielded) is capable of whitstand more punishment then a Dread, then shield are overpowered and need to be toned down.

Or, in my humble opinion, make Dreads EVEN stronger! :twisted:

MORE ARMOR!
SHIELDS!
WEAPONS SYSTEMS!!
YARRR!

End rant. :oops:

Admittedly, it's AI I was fighting.. and they were low-tech Zuul with crap weapons and couldn't focus fire my shield section down before they recharged. Not so much an imbalance.. just the specific circumstances I was in. : p
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:07 am

The Morrigi are cool in that their shield sections are on top of the ship... If a ship is about to have its shields go down, just have them turn sideways and roll ;)

Can't hit the shield section to knock it out if all you can hit is the bottom of the ship.

xRei

Post by xRei » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:12 am

That is an interesting point. Helps that Morri have very good chances at all the shield techs.. Actually they have good chances at a lot of techs.. Kinda like Liir.
- Pliny The Elder

-Mecron

Return to “The Weapons”