Shields

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Re: Shields

Post by GammaPaladin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:14 am

Looking over the tech list, it's more like they have "ok" chances at basically everything. It's not that they have really good chances at cool things, like the Liir do, it's that they don't have a horribly low chance at much of anything.

xRei

Post by xRei » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:34 am

..Really? I'm seeing them being on par or better than everyone but Liir with most things.. Projectors and Heavy cannons for example.. worse than Liir and on par or better than everyone else(AM Proj they have 50% in fact. 25% more than the next lowest..) 50% chance off of AM Projector to get the new Meson projector..(Again 25% better than next lowest, and only 10% behind Liir)

Some of the best chances for all the techs in the laser and phaser-based trees.. Excellent chances for Heavy lasers and very good chances for beam techs..

Torpedoes are quite good, matching and in some cases exceeding Tarks, and a bit below Liir. They are generally doing better in the warhead tree than Liir, but still worse than others, except in the case of some of the more unique specialty mines where they excel.. Best chance at the new MW missiles.

They suck as bad as Liir in the ballistic tree, but are also the only race 100% guaranteed to get PD, and have the best chances at getting shield breakers and energy leech rounds.

They are right up there with Liir with all the shield techs.. Better than Liir, even, in many things, or on par at worst.. Certainly superior to everyone else.

Below Liir but a bit better than everyone else in most terraforming biotechs(Excepting Bacteria and nanites for some reason). Parity or slight superiority in plague techs, below Liir. Better chances than everyone but Liir to get Universal Antigen..

Morri absolutely dominate the C3 tree.. 90%+ in almost everything(that isn't 100% for everyone else). Including off-tree links to things like cloak..

They dominate the drone tech tree, needless to say, excepting CoL crackers, sucking along with Liir(though better). They have the best chances at AI Virus and AI Slaves, barring no one.

... So yeah honestly I don't see where you are getting this.. They are on par or a bit worse than Liir with several things, superior to them in areas they tend to suck(Specifically the warhead tree), and dominate for sure in a couple trees with no competition(C3, Drones, and to a lesser degree shields).

All in all, they are the second best for tech in the game, in my eyes(Unless you wanna play with ballistics, anyway). Very close to Liir in most ways. Better than most everyone else in a great majority of things..
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:41 am

You're looking at relative numbers, I'm thinking in absolutes. Liir get 80-100% on some really cool things, and low numbers elsewhere. The Morrigi seem to average 50-60% across the board, which to me is only "ok".

I have really bad luck with anything regarding random number generation, so I tend to think of 50% as "I'm probably going to fail that roll".

xRei

Post by xRei » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:02 am

I still don't see where you are getting that.. On like one or two specific techs?

Cus I see Morri trailing like 5-10% behind Liir on the vast majority of techs.. With the exception of AM projectors where Liir clearly beat everyone by a fair margin, they seem quite close in most other techs.. Things like Energy Absorbers, Meson Shields.. all the shield stuff they are tied or in some cases Morri are higher.. Most energy weapons Morri trail no more than 10% behind Liir.. Or tie.. They are very consistently higher than humans in almost everything(who have very well-rounded tech chances).. and in those really RARE techs like shields, high-end energy weapons, they are close to Liir..

Beat Liir at warheads.. I don't get it. They don't seem average to me at all, they seem quite tech-oriented compared to the other races aside from Liir.. 80-100% on MANY good techs, including ones where Tark and Human are getting like 60% or less... On some of the really rare stuff like projectors or heavy cannons they dip down to the 60-80% range but.. so do Liir, so..
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:57 am

I don't think I called them average, I said they were "ok". As far as I'm concerned most of the races have miserably low chances at most tech. I always seem to roll practically nothing ;)

So the Morrigi being ok makes them better than everyone else, aside from the Liir, who are the only ones with really good tech chances from my perspective.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:45 pm

While I suppose 'ok' is in the eye of the beholder, I'm pretty sure you're in the minority on this one, Gamma. Your 'ok' is everyone else's 'pretty darn good.' :lol:

And your 50% figure is wildly pessimistic as well. Average out their tech chances and you'll come up with a number a lot higher than that. So while you're entitled to your opinion on the definition of 'ok', don't distort the facts.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:33 am

It's sad, I only just learned last night that Meson shields work against all energy weapons, not just beams like its description says.

I had a huge fleet of meson shielded ships because a certain bunch of menaces was propagating wildly through my galaxy.

Unfortunately for them, they appeared after I had AM, Dreads, had fully developed my weapon tree, and had developed the shield tree "just in case".

One turn of research yielded meson shields, and then the killing started.

I have to say, my Meson Shield/Meson Projector/AM "Worldkiller" class cruisers were quite effective at their built-for purpose. My new Absorber/Barrage/AM and Absorber/Drone/AM Dreads are pretty darn awesome as well. I wonder how I've ignored the Absorber and Meson Shield techs all this time.

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:59 am

Strange. Pretty sure they used to only work on beams...

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:57 pm

Well, I watched fire from enemy cannons (Plasma and fusion) spatter off them harmlessly. So they work on more than just beams now.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:59 am

GammaPaladin wrote:...
Can't hit the shield section to knock it out if all you can hit is the bottom of the ship.

Actualy the small hub on the bottom of the CR shield, with 2 small mounts, is apart of the command section.
Granted its a small target, but it is still a vunerability.

Garfield78

Post by Garfield78 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:06 am

Can anybody explain this, description taken from the wiki about Mk.4 Shields:

"Strongest full-ship shield.
Can take 2,500 points of damage before failing and takes 10 seconds to recharge.
There is also a damage capacity multiplier based on hull class."

The first 2 sentences are not the problem to understand :roll: but
the "damage capacity multiplier based on hull class" sounds good but
i dont have just any clue how much the multiplier is :?:

e.g.
DD multiplier 1 makes 2500 HP
CR multiplier 2 makes 5000 HP
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:31 pm

Hull class multiplier is an unknown multilier.

However, you get 100% stronger shields (200% shields) with shield magnifier tech, and 20% stronger shields (120% shields) with quantum capacitors tech, which comes out to be a 120% bonus to shields (shields are now 220% previous strength, 2500 hp shield would become 5500 hp shield).
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:32 am

And I'm fairly certain that Quantum Capacitors decreases the recharge time.
Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy.

R.I.P. Allison Mohney and Jared May

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:06 am

The tech says it reduces the recharge time of beams and provides a bonus to shield HP, not that reduces shield recharge time.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ruskyandrei

Post by ruskyandrei » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:44 am

As has probably been stated before, Mk4 shields + QC + Shield Amps are just awesome.

I believe the multiplier is something like 2x or even 3x for cruisers, i saw a cruiser of mine take a full hit from a tarka Assault/Blazer DN with HCL's before dropping it's shield (just as the alpha strike was over, since the shields regen about as fast as the beams, it's funny to think that it might be possible to duke it out face to face with a DN in a shielded cruiser :D )

Return to “The Weapons”