Shields

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:41 pm

stopgap wrote:On a side note, whats your Favorite series?

Too hard to pick a single one, since I have had a passionate love of both fantasy and science fiction since I was very young, and there are many brilliant authors in the genre. I could spend all day listing the authors I consider truly classic. So far as pure SF goes, I definitely think you can't call yourself a fan unless you've read the giants--Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Bester, Sturgeon, Silverberg, Anderson, Farmer, Tiptree, Wolfe.

In terms of crafting a series of books and a consistent reality that applies to all of them, though I have to say: I do think Julian May is highly under-rated. Not only is she incredibly entertaining, but I am especially impressed by her ability to create a universe which she explores over several time periods and through several viewpoints, as she does with her "Many-Colored Land" tetrology and the "Metaconcert" series. This was very useful inspiration for me when trying to create the fictional universe for a franchise like SoTS, which will have so much room for expansion and for which so many projects in different genres are planned.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:40 pm

I suggest we move this to Misc, as this more than a little off topic :wink:

I'm starting a thread titled, "Literary Lusciousness"(yay aliteration.) Y'all are welcome to join.
Boomer

"ΜΟΛΩÎ

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:12 am

I'm curious, has anyone had a large scale ballistics fleet (their own, preferably) meet a deflector equipped fleet? I'm wondering of good unit tactics and manuvering will be enough to help overcome their barrier. I'm currently in a game where, because of lag issues with my friends, battles have been swaying in his brother's favor when his UV reinforced hull armor fleet meet my larger masses of HEAVY VRF gauss cannon destroyers with 2/3 reflective coating. But my sheer mass of VRF gauss cannon has been able to really muck up his ships, reinforced hull or no, to the point I'm fairly sure he's gonna whip out that deflector shield (I don't know why he bragged he had it.) Looks like I gotta upgrade the Imperium weapons to a new age beyond the goo 'ol canon ball, but in the meantime it should be interesting to see if I can't sheer force and speed my way around them pesky shields ;)
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Lazy Perfectionist

Post by Lazy Perfectionist » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:13 am

Something I was unclear on. Is there any reason to include deflectors in a vessel after shield techs are available? Can deflecter be overloaded like shields can? Any effect on torpedos and energy weapons.

On shields- do they have an effect on beam weapons?

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:25 am

Shields block all damage until they shut down.

Deflectors deflect all ballistic and missile weapons in the front arc, and never shut down unless the section powering them is destroyed.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:34 am

Yeah tossing a single deflector destroyer out in front is a great way to absorb the entire first few missile volleys.

saganami

Post by saganami » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:25 am

Gravity shields... 8)

I created a DD with the shield mission, AI fire control command, and amat drive. Called it a 'Shrike'. Stuck some phaser PD, missiles, and a phaser mount on it and voila...a LAC with a bow-wall. Then I got gravity shields...and I thought the meson shields were tough!

I can now send in a DN class CnC (LAC carrier anyone?) leading a ton of LACs in order to sweep ahead of the main attack force and expect the enemy to lose things like cruisers to them

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:49 am

Cute. Though it also has a stern wall...and don't you wish you could get it a pair of impeller stress bands? Those would stop half the missiles that I see all on their own.

Back in the demo, I was running ballistic Tarkas, and didn't find the AIs deflectors that tough to deal with. Of course, they have this nice habit of voluntarily overrunning my line to go after the CnC ship, but it would be really hard to keep the front arc aimed at the enemy and prevent them from getting behind you.

Tractor beams behind a point deflector could be endless fun, though.

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:58 pm

Chernobog wrote:Tractor beams behind a point deflector could be endless fun, though.

oh yeah, i use Point deflectors +tractor all the time, once i get DN's, since i love missiles. Anyways, i dont have much EXP with shields, Point deflectors seem more effective. Here's a couple of my thoughts abvout them.

point deflectors are great against planetary missiles, but you have to 'very carefully' time your advance. if you move the sheilded ship forward at the wrong time, it will pass the planetary missiles, and they will pound the ships mission section This has led to my big battle fleets losing all their repair and refinery support.... nothing as annoying as having beaten the enemy mercilessly, but not being able to finish the job because of a lack of repair ships. then, i run out of fuel on the way to a repair base....... *sighs*

But on that note, i just love point deflectors. once i get DN, i put them on
every cruiser that i make.

Here's my question/thought to you guys, can you put an energy abosorber shield on a DN?? and if not, how effective would an energy absorber be on a heavy beam cruiser? ive been dancing around that tech, and im curious exactly how it would work.

oh, and kudos to the game designers for making a very interesting sheild tech tree. finally!
Two Simple Rules for Life

1) never tell everyone everything you know.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:35 pm

Energy absorbers cut 75% of all incoming energy weapon damage, and use the energy to recharge your own weapons faster.

At least until your enemy focuses on your point absorber section and pops it.

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:38 pm

are the absorbers in the front arc only? or the whole ship?

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:44 pm

Penance wrote:are the absorbers in the front arc only? or the whole ship?

As far as I know, they affect the whole ship.

bman654

Post by bman654 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Are torpedoes considered energy weapons?

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:47 pm

well, it depends on how you define energy weapons. If you mean 'are they deflected by reflective armor', then no. do they use energy? absolutly.

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:03 pm

Absorbers are "all 'round" systems. Only lasers (and other pulse-y weapons) are bounced by reflective armor. I don't believe torpedoes are considered energy weapons for purposes of absorber systems, but I could be wrong...

Continuing on with my reign of forum terror!
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Return to “The Weapons”