Shields

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm

lol. *imagines detonating anti-matter torpedo getting sucked into absorber, powering the ships anti-matter torpedo*

you'd have space tennis. :D
Two Simple Rules for Life

1) never tell everyone everything you know.

Darkchampion

Post by Darkchampion » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:13 pm

cathexis wrote:Absorbers are "all 'round" systems. Only lasers (and other pulse-y weapons) are bounced by reflective armor. I don't believe torpedoes are considered energy weapons for purposes of absorber systems, but I could be wrong...

Continuing on with my reign of forum terror!

You are correct. Pulsed phasers, lasers and all of the energy cannon line are absorber friendly.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:03 am

Darkchampion wrote:
cathexis wrote:Absorbers are "all 'round" systems. Only lasers (and other pulse-y weapons) are bounced by reflective armor. I don't believe torpedoes are considered energy weapons for purposes of absorber systems, but I could be wrong...

Continuing on with my reign of forum terror!

You are correct. Pulsed phasers, lasers and all of the energy cannon line are absorber friendly.

So beam weapons and torpedos are not absorbed by point absorbers?

Kaorti

Post by Kaorti » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Beam weapons arent, for that you need meson sheilds. I dont think torpedos are either.
Erinys gave me an E-Cookie! Yay!
For those arranging games: I'm on GMT -5

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:32 pm

Emitters are absorbed as well, right?

YamatoTwinkie

Post by YamatoTwinkie » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Kaorti wrote:Beam weapons arent, for that you need meson sheilds.

The wiki seems to disagree, as beams are under the "energy weapons" category. I haven't tested it though.

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Ok, here's how it works: anything that's an energy weapon (with the possible exception of torpedoes, I'm not sure about those) is cut by 75% damage by an absorber. To fully stop (not cut by 75%, stop like how deflectors stop anything solid) without fear of having the system go down at an unpleasent moment, you use a meson screen which provides a shield-like barrier around your ship that never goes down and only works against beam-type weapons. The only thing that works against some energy weapons and not against beams is reflective armor, which only works against pulsed weapons (the laser line and pulse phasers).

Hope this clarifies the issue!
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Kludgy
Site Admin

Post by Kludgy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:00 am

cathexis wrote:Ok, here's how it works: anything that's an energy weapon (with the possible exception of torpedoes, I'm not sure about those) is cut by 75% damage by an absorber. To fully stop (not cut by 75%, stop like how deflectors stop anything solid) without fear of having the system go down at an unpleasent moment, you use a meson screen which provides a shield-like barrier around your ship that never goes down and only works against beam-type weapons. The only thing that works against some energy weapons and not against beams is reflective armor, which only works against pulsed weapons (the laser line and pulse phasers).

Hope this clarifies the issue!

Torpedoes are 'ballistic' weapons because they travel in a physical shell. Otherwise that's all right!

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:30 am

Ok thanks for clearing all that up. The torpedo thing made perfect sense, because they aren't in the energy weapon tree, but having beam weapons not affected by energy absorbers seemed off. Glad to know that's not the case.

Yeah I used Meson shields and heavy ballistics to deadly effect in my last game vs the Liir.

EntropyAvatar

Post by EntropyAvatar » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:11 am

cathexis wrote:Ok, here's how it works: anything that's an energy weapon (with the possible exception of torpedoes, I'm not sure about those) is cut by 75% damage by an absorber.

Wow. So, a ship armed with an absorber has effectively quadruple the number of hitpoints against lasers, beams, heavy beams, phasors, pulse phasors and all types of energy cannon? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:43 am

A sweeter deal than that, actually, because they also get to reload energy weapons faster with energy absorbed from enemy fire...

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:27 pm

Something tells me that a battle where both sides are armed with point absorbers and energy weapons is going to take awhile...
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:04 pm

Tssha wrote:Something tells me that a battle where both sides are armed with point absorbers and energy weapons is going to take awhile...

See this is where bringing a mixed fleet like I do has an advantage. I'd immediatly retreat all energy weapon ships if I suspected point absorbers, and I'd bring in my ballistics ships or torpedo cruisers.

Bossman
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Bossman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Tssha wrote:Something tells me that a battle where both sides are armed with point absorbers and energy weapons is going to take awhile...

Three words: "Positive feedback loop".
All offers void where prohibited, but especially in Quebec.

Astax

Post by Astax » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:00 pm

Deflectors are great except if you have a torpedo equipped ships behind it! The deflector will detonate all your torpedos tryign to fly through them. It can be very wasteful. Luckly most missles go around already.

Return to “The Weapons”