TAR: Fractious Allies

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

TAR: Fractious Allies

Post by ZedF » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:28 pm

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Commodore Blatt cut an imposing figure as he strode purposefully toward the secure conference room. He was a big man, if not handsome, with a broken nose, beady eyes, and a pugnacious complexion. His uniform was festooned with a variety of decorations, mostly earned in more troubled times, for skill and valor and leadership in combat. He was the commanding officer of the 312th Fighting Devils, and aboard his own command cruiser he was the next best thing to God.

Commodore Blatt was also bored. Ever since the Quadruple D'Entente, things out here along the border to Hiver space had calmed down. A lot. Too much for his taste, to be frank. Even if he had to concede the reasons for the peace made sense, he'd never been fond of the bugs, and he'd always regretted that seeking a peaceful solution had become politically necessary. He recognized his attitude had become something of an impediment to his career, but he was blunt-spoken by nature, and the fact that the inconvenient peace was also a necessary one hadn't stopped him from expressing his opinions whenever he had the opportunity.

He supposed the recent combat drills might have been a reaction to his boredom. He hadn't refrained from expressing his opinion by holding the drills right on the border. The display had been impressive, and deliberately provocative. It had also been satisfying to that part of him that wanted to dare the bugs to make a move in response. They hadn't, of course. At their speed, any move they might have made would have had to have been planned years previously. Too bad.

Blatt arrived at the door to the secure conference room, and perfunctorily returned the guards' salutes before entering his access code and striding in. He'd expected the room to be empty, and for the meeting with his superior officer to be conducted by holo. Rear Admiral James was getting close to retirement, and was not as mobile as he used to be; he generally preferred to remain close to his office aboard the command station when possible. It was too much of a bother to meet in person except for special occasions. Blatt was somewhat surprised to find this was apparently one of them, and reflexively saluted his CO.

"At ease," James replied, indicating a chair, his face expressionless.

Blatt frowned inwardly, wondering what this was about as he took the indicated seat. His choice of locations for the exercise couldn't have caused that much of a stir, could it?

James was not one for small talk, and cut straight to the point. It came at Blatt like a bolt from the blue. "We've gotten word from the Director about the Delta Sirius conference."

Blatt had to search his memory to figure out what his CO was referring to. "The Delta Sirius conference? Pardon me, sir, but just what does that have to do with us? As far as I recall, that conference is taking place over 100 lights from here, out near the border between the bugs, the crocs, and the fish. I didn't think we had any stake in whatever it is they are talking about."

"Solforce doesn't. Not directly, at least," James replied. "But that doesn't mean we aren't interested in knowing what's decided there. Apparently, the Hivers have got some trouble with a rebellious princess. She's set up shop just outside the main regions of Hiver space, and declared herself Queen of a new Hiver principality. I'm sure you can imagine the sort of trouble that could cause."

Blatt raised his eyebrows. "Smells more like opportunity to me, sir, but I take your meaning."

Admiral James smiled thinly. "Apparently the Hivers thought it might smell like opportunity to the Liir and the Tarka as well. The Morrigi also, for that matter -- they have a number of colonies off in that direction, and might have gotten pulled in regardless. The purpose of the conference was to ensure that the other races side with the Queen on this one, and don't offer their support to the upstart instead."

"I see," Blatt remarked, a bit dubiously. "What kind of incentives are they offering?"

"Mostly trade agreements. The Queen is adamant that all Hiver-occupied territories in the volume of space claimed by the rebel princess are rightfully subject to her. The sector in question is far from anybody's core worlds, but closest to the Hiver core, so the other races aren't really pressing that point. It would be hard for anyone but the Queen to hold any claims they made out that way." Admiral James pushed a datapad across the table for Blatt to take a look at.

"It would be hard to encourage scientists from the core worlds to travel all that way out there as well," Blatt pointed out, accepting the pad and taking a look at it.

"True enough," the Admiral replied, "though at least any threatened colonies out that way would enjoy a certain amount of support from their respective empires' cores."

Blatt considered a few moments more as he studied the pad. "These commerce figures don't seem terribly substantial to me, though I'd say the Morrigi are at least getting a reasonable bargain on those trade goods. If the Queen wanted me to fight an enemy of hers, I'd be asking for a lot more than that."

James nodded. "We suspect the Queen considers this as more of a bribe to stay out of the way than an actual request for assistance. You can see from the appendix on rules of engagement that she has laid down some strict controls on what sorts of assistance will be accepted -- and, indeed, tolerated."

Briefly scanning the relevant appendix, Blatt raised an eyebrow. "No colonization at all? Defense of one's own colonies or allied colonies only, except for support of the Queen's offensive forces?" Blatt scowled. "The bugs must be very optimistic if they think they can dislodge this princess effectively by themselves, so far from their core worlds. We're not talking about just one or two worlds, here. It will take the Queen time to build up her forces out there, and that will just give the rebel princess so much more time to entrench herself. The bugs could get a lot more done a lot faster if they allowed their allies a freer hand."

The Admiral shook his head. "That's true, but then the the Queen would have to offer a lot more by way of compensation, including ceding some of that territory to her allies. She seems to want all the marbles in this area of space, and is giving up concessions elsewhere to get a shot at them. She doesn't want her allies moving any faster than her own forces can on this one."

"Even if that means her enemies are more than ready for her forces by the time they get there," Blatt snorted, tossing the datapad back on the table, slightly disgusted. "The bugs insist on strategy that's about as subtle as a sledgehammer and as quick as molasses. Typical." He looked back at his CO. "But that still doesn't answer my original question. What does this have to do with us? We have no dogs in this race."

"That's just it," Admiral James replied. "We have no dogs in this race... and that makes the Hivers nervous. If things go worse for them than they expect, and they have to shift forces from other parts of their empire to prevent the rebel princess from expanding her influence toward the Hiver core, they want to have a free hand to do so. The Queen has invited us to have a dog, as you say, in this race."

Blatt blinked. "How?"

Sitting back in his chair, the Admiral smiled slightly. "You may recall that a few years ago, one of our survey ships discovered an independent colony at Tully's World in the Epsilon Eridani sector. You may also recall that a few holos of what's out there in the black were enough to convince them to sign up for Solforce protection. Currently the shortest node route to Tully's World - and the uncharted, unclaimed territory the Epsilon Eridani sector represents - takes 6 years to navigate, solely through Solforce-held space."

"The Queen has no interest in the Epsilon Eridani sector -- or more precisely, no way to easily reach it. Her nearest colonized worlds are too far away. But she will allow Solforce ships free passage, without tolls, through two Hiver-held systems enroute to Epsilon Eridani, cutting travel time there in half. I'm sure you can see that this will enable our colonization of that sector to progress much more rapidly."

"In exchange for this small favour, she wants a human military observer sent to the Delta Sirius sector, to act as an impartial advisor and arbiter, should any friction arise between the various races of the alliance. She wants someone with an extensive military background and who is familiar with the way her Children fight in times of war."

Blatt felt a chill go down his spine, but if Admiral James noticed his subordinate's reaction, he gave no sign of it. "Commodore, the Director has chosen you to be our dog in the Delta Sirius sector. You have the necessary qualifications, and I rather suspect the Director has grown tired of your antics along the border. You're being invited to open your eyes a little and gain some perspective. I'd suggest you take that opportunity, but I don't really have to make any suggestions, do I? You will be boarding the Diplomat-class destroyer SS Exeter tomorrow morning at 0700, where you will be entering cryosleep for the remainder of the journey. You'll be briefed more fully on arrival; the situation will no doubt have changed somewhat in the intervening years. Good luck and Godspeed."

Blatt sat back heavily in his chair as Admiral James stood and made his way laboriously to the exit. Just this morning he'd been complaining to himself about feeling bored. Now he wasn't sure whether to be relieved to be headed back into a combat zone... or horrified at who his efforts would be assisting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Map settings:
90 star Spiral, Default galaxy settings, research @50%, economy @150%, grouped teams on, randoms @100%

There are 6 player slots in total, in two teams:
- Team 1 is 1 Hiver, 1 Liir, 1 Tarka, and 1 Morrigi.
-- Each is using Normal AI and has 6 planets.
-- The Liir and Morrigi start with $2M and 15 techs.
-- The Tarka and Hivers start with $4M and 10 techs.
-- The Morrigi/Liir/Tarka AIs will be set to Defensive.
-- The player will start as Liir.

- Team 2 is 1 Hiver, 1 Zuul.
-- Each is using Difficult AI and has 10 planets (11 for the Zuul).
-- The Hiver starts with $4M and 10 techs, the Zuul starts with $6M and no techs.

Rules of Engagement:
- Only Allied Hivers may settle colonies.
- Allies other than Hivers may not fire upon enemy Hivers, except:
-- in defense of an alliance colony, or
-- in support of an allied Hiver offensive.
- Other scenario elements will be revealed during play.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: TAR: Fractious Allies

Post by ZedF » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Commodore Blatt was recovering from cryo, but he still felt woozy. He hadn't had much time to familiarize himself with the situation here in the Delta Sirius sector since he'd awoken, and having a fuzzy brain didn't help. He shook himself and took another sip of the strong, black coffee in his mug, hoping it would help him feel more alert. "Alright, what's our status?" he asked Commander Jeremy Akins, captain of the Exeter.

"Sir, right now we're in orbit over Amiiru, the Liir sector capital." Akins brought up a holomap of the sector and indicated the territories controlled by the various empires in the sector. "The Liir here in blue have the most spinward position, whereas the Tarka in green have the most anti-spinward. In between we have the Morrigi in yellow and the Hivers in orange. The rest of the sector is an unknown, though most of the remaining stars are concentrated toward the middle of the sector. I should note that every race has at least a couple systems relatively close to that bolus," Akins concluded.

Blatt rubbed his face with one hand. "Alright, so why are we here again? I thought we were here to provide advice to the bugs, should they need it."

"Apparently their commanding officer felt they have their situation well in hand, sir, but thought the Liir could use some assistance. We redirected here at their request. And it would appear that the Liir are eager to meet with us. They have requested a holoconference with you at your earliest convenience."

Blatt blinked, non-plussed. Since when did Liir need advice from a human naval officer, he wondered. "Patch them through, then."

The map disappeared and was replaced with the image of a Liir in one of their combat exoskeletons. The background appeared to be of a small naval vessel, not much larger than his own, though styled in the Liir fashion. "Greetings, on behalf of the Liir of this sector. We are the Liirian Commonwealth. Greetings from the command ship, the Aluurra, first of her class. Here, I am Ishii."

"Hello to you too. Err, greetings," Blatt replied, puzzled. He glanced at the comm display; the signal appeared to be coming from another ship in orbit: a typical Liir destroyer as far as he could tell from the display. There were no indications of command and control signals coming from the vessel, nor any sign of such equipment showing on its hull. "How is it that a destroyer is the Liir command ship for this sector?"

"This sector is far from the Liir home worlds," Ishii replied. "It has always been quiet, and peaceful. Our expansion in this sector has been leisurely. The Black has seen little need for military vessels to be built here. Until recently, there has been little need for defense. Now, however, war comes. We are troubled. I am troubled, for I am the senior naval officer, and the Black is far from here. I have never seen combat."

"You mean you're completely untrained? A raw recruit?" Blatt asked, aghast.

"No," Ishii clarified. "Training we have. We have, what would you call it? A template. It is impressed on all new swimmers in the black. And the call has gone out for more swimmers to join us, from the surface below and from other worlds in this sector. The Elders know what to look for. Soon our numbers will grow, and quickly. As quickly as the steelsingers can do their work. We know the theory. We can operate our vessels. We can practice in drills. But our leadership is far from here, and we have no experience to supplement our training."

"So, you're telling me you're not bootcamp fodder, just green," Blatt replied, wonderingly. "And you're not sure what you're going to tell all the... swimmers? Swimmers that will soon be under your command. You're not sure what to do, how to get started."

"Yes," Ishii affirmed. "The Black has given guidance, in general terms. Assistance with specifics would be appreciated."

"Ok, so what guidance has the Black given?" Blatt asked.

"Something stirs in this sector that has not been felt here before. The Suul'ka are coming. The Black has said we must scour the heavens and learn the truth."

Blatt's eyebrows raised at the cryptic pronouncement. "If that means what I think it means, I would say that's good advice. You said more vessels are being built? Your first priority should be to send them out scouting."

"Where?" queried Ishii.

Blatt snorted. "Where? Everywhere! Everywhere that hasn't already been explored by our allies, at least, and that can reasonably be reached. Start with the closest stars and work your way outward from there, as ships are built and crews readied. You should picket the closer systems with long range combat vessels; anything too far to reach with those can be reached with tankers."

"Why picket, if our agreement with the Hivers prevents us from claiming any more seas?" Ishii queried again.

"Mainly so that you have some advance warning in case there are any surprises out there. You said trouble is coming. It would be best to know not only which direction it's coming from, but when it's about to arrive, so you can ensure your defenses are well-prepared. That's what the pickets will tell you. Even so, it would be best to have a few ships on hand at each of the Liirian Commonwealth worlds, so surprises cannot catch you entirely off guard. That should be your second priority."

Ishii thought a moment. "I concur. Thank you for your insight. We shall speak again. If there is anything you wish to know, I will be glad to return the favour."

As the holoconference link winked out, Blatt wondered if he wanted to know what Ishii meant when he said the Suul'ka were coming, and whether he should ask.
Zed's TARs (sample):

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 am

I'm going to ninja the sentiment that this is yet another excellent Zed TAR.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:02 am

Damn, that is not just a TAR, that is a full fledged role playing experience somewhat aided by playing a game meanwhile. :thumbsup:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 pm

Good read, ZedF!

Keep it up!

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks for the props guys! Comments of any sort are always welcome. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 am

Ishii gestured with one of his suit's tentacles at a portion of the holodisplay, and it obediently magnified. Four neighboring stars, each with characteristic signals being detected coming from them -- engine noise and comm traffic of an alien race. "The Suul'Ka are coming," he reiterated.

Commodore Blatt stared into the depths of the simulated space, his expression a grim mask. "Rippers," he muttered under his breath. "Great, just what we needed."

"We have telemetry from the first vessels to come into contact with the Suul'Ka. Each was engaged in combat shortly after arriving in-system, and was soon destroyed. All swimmers were lost in each case. What do we gain from their sacrifice? Why do we send them to their deaths?"

Blatt shifted uncomfortably. "We gain information. In each case we learned something about the planet those ships were stationed at. For starters, we learned they would not be good places for Liir to settle, and probably not any of your allies to settle either. More importantly, we learned that the Rippers have not yet settled those worlds, though doubtless they will soon, if they can. It's important to find out how much time we have before they will begin expanding in this direction in earnest. So far, it appears they are scouting those worlds, much as we are. This is valuable information to know."

Ishii considered. "So it is. It will be many years before they can trouble our worlds." He seemed relieved.

"Yes, but don't get complacent," Blatt warned. "It will also be many years before your swimmers are ready to face them in earnest. Your current destroyers are good enough to combat scouting units like those we've just seen, when fielded in sufficient numbers. But they wouldn't last long against the cruisers that are sure to follow. Nimble though they may be, they are neither well-enough armed, nor fast enough."

Ishii bobbed in agreement. "However, work is in progress to remedy the latter, and will be followed by research into the former. First contact with the Suul'Ka was made over 16 light years from Nonu, our most extended world. If the Suul'Ka are only now scouting there, we will have sufficient time to complete our preparations. The ships and crews we need to defeat the Suul'Ka will be ready."

Blatt just hoped their leaders would be ready as well.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:02 am

Bonus pics!

A few Liir scouts traveled to Shay'mi with the intent of stripping a derelict there, only to arrive at the same time as a Zuul bore fleet. The Liir let the Zuul impale themselves on the derelict's turreted beams before moving in to finish the job.

Zed's TARs (sample):

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:29 am

Those 'chance encounters' are such a nice little bit of spice in this game!

Like VN arriving the same turn as an enemy fleet, and 'helping' with the defense of the planet...

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

Emperor

Post by Emperor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:56 am

Watching Zuul ships get hammered is always worth the watch.

Good TAR so far, Zed!
"Most people seem to travel at the speed of 'Stupid'."

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 am

Commodore Blatt paced around the holoconference display, pointing at the Taza'chak system some 23 light years from Nonu. Although the system was relatively far from the Liir systems, what Liirian scouts had seen there was unsettling to say the least. At least, to him.

"This does not concern you!?" he asked, incredulously. "We now have evidence that the Rippers at least have a non-aggression agreement with the rebel Hiver princess, Midnight Lotus. For all we know, they could be in a full alliance!"

Ishii's avatar in the holoconference link waved several tendrils in what Blatt assumed was the Liirian equivalent of a shrug. "Not especially. The Hiver Queen has promised that her forces will subjugate the rebel. And it seems difficult to credit that the Suul'Ka would be willing to ally with anyone. They are ravenous. It is more likely that the Suul'Ka consider the rebel princess as too tough-shelled to crack, for the moment. Thus they bide their time and search for softer prey."

"Well I can believe that the Zuul might find the rebel princess too big a mouthful to swallow, for now. Look at what she had defending that world, and it wasn't even a colony! Of course, they had ample notice of our scout's arrival, but that's a little much for defending a gate against a single ship, isn't it? It's a message. If Midnight Lotus can afford to send that many ships to defend a gate against a single scout, then she's not worried about the Rippers at all. She must be awfully confident the Rippers will not betray her. Which leaves her free to send fleets like that on the attack, with the Rippers guarding her flank."

Ishii waved his tendrils again. "The Queen has said she will quell the upstart, and so she must. She has asked the Black to stay removed from the fight, and not to expand into this sector, and so we shall. It is up to her, and her Children, to deal with the rebel. We shall not spare the rebel's forces a thought, until they come here. The Queen has made no agreements regarding defense against the Suul'Ka, and moreover they are closer to our worlds than the rebel is. It is them we must concern ourselves with. There is nothing further to discuss on the matter."

As the holoconference link winked out, Blatt shook his head, gazing back at the map. The orange tracks indicating the Queen's gate fleets were spreading across the allied portion of the display, slowly but surely. Soon gates would be established over all allied forward worlds, enabling the Queen to send forces to assist should any enemy attack. Blatt worried that the Zuul worlds the Liir were so intent on cleansing would soon find themselves afforded similar protection. And with the rules of engagement the Hivers insisted upon, there was nothing at all that could be done about it.
Zed's TARs (sample):

sheridangreen

Post by sheridangreen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Wowie wow! This looks great! I'd echo the comment that this is an awesome RP experience with a bit of game to provide the pretty pictures. I like the set-up, and look forward to the other ROE additions as the game proceeds… Can't wait for future installments!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 am

Thanks for the comments, folks, and keep 'em coming!

More to come shortly. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:49 am

"Come on, break left..." Blatt muttered to himself, as he watched the battle simulation.

Ishii seemed amused. "You cannot change the way the battle plays out by speaking to it. This assault on the Suul'Ka world at Merak occurred weeks ago," his holo avatar reminded the Commodore.

"I know. Sorry if it bothers you. Force of habit," Blatt explained.

And indeed, it was only moments before the attack destroyers of the Merak assault squadron broke left, luring the two defending cruisers into a confrontation and away from the trailing assault shuttle contingent, which veered right, slipping by the mobile defenders and toward the satellite ring.

Blatt reflected on the plan Ishii had presented him with; it had seemed sound enough, and Blatt had voiced his approval, making only a few small suggestions. For all his inexperience, Ishii was a competent tactician. Now, Blatt was seeing the results of that plan in action, and so far things had gone as well as could have been hoped. Better, even. Despite having had ample advance notice of the destroyer squadron inbound to their colony world, the Rippers had moved the bulk of their defenders away from Merak shortly before the attack fleet's arrival. This had left Merak underdefended and short a command ship at the crucial moment, which meant that only two cruisers stood in position in orbit around the planet when the attack fleet arrived. Ishii's plan had been to cripple these ships' engines and let them drift, while the assault shuttle destroyers moved around the main combat and headed for the planet. Once the cruisers' engines were destroyed, the attack destroyers would break off and move in to support the shuttle carriers by engaging the orbital satellites.

"Ok, you've got the flank shot, hit that engine while he's still got a head of speed. Yes, gotcha! Now the other one..." Blatt whispered.

The biggest unknown had been the armament the enemy cruisers would be packing. Some scouts had come across Zuul cruisers mounting particle beams. They hadn't survived long against the faster enemy vessels. If these defenders had had them, things could have gotten dicey. Fortunately, these particular cruisers were optimized to face enemy cruisers, not destroyers: they mounted heavy combat lasers and DF Racks, neither of which were terribly effective against the small, nimble destroyers of the Liir formation. It helped, Blatt reflected, that the Zuul hadn't yet gotten around to mounting meaningful warheads on their rockets and missiles; regular proximity-fused fission warheads weren't sufficient for modern space combat, even against the fragile Liir vessels.

"There goes the second cruiser's engine! Now get back and support that shuttle launch..."

The simulation played out for another several minutes -- minutes that translated to several weeks of bombardment by the Liir assault shuttles. The Zuul on the surface had nowhere to hide, and in the end, their cities were reduced to lifeless ruins. Over 250 million of them perished, before the Liir faded into the outer reaches of the system.

But the year of combat had taken its toll on the Liir vessels. One of the attack ships had lost an engine, and several others were battered, including the command ship. The squadron needed repairs... which meant a 9-year journey back to Nonu, the closest source of resupply.

Blatt sighed. "Well done, Ishii, and congratulate your swimmers for me. You've certainly stung the Rippers. But you're going to need many more such stings if you hope to defeat them permanently. That was a small colony, and one they only established relatively recently, despite how well-developed it was. We can't hold Merak with your current forces, and none of the other allies are in a position to help with this, so the Rippers are going to get the opportunity to settle it again. Only this time, it will build up even quicker, because it's already been terraformed and industrialized. Moreover, we don't know how many other such colonies they may have settled in the last few years. And while taking out the engines of two cruisers may wind up forcing the Zuul to scrap them, even if it does, it doesn't constitute a significant dent in their navy."

Ishii bobbed in the holodisplay, concurring with Blatt's analysis. "That is true; however, it will delay the Suul'Ka for a time, and every such delay betters our position. We are in the process of deploying scouts now with improved scanners and drive systems that will enable us to better track Suul'Ka fleet movements. Our industry is nearly ready to begin production of larger classes of vessels to match the Suul'Ka cruisers. All that remains is for us to decide upon a weapons system worthy of the frame."

"Really? Hm. Well, I know you Liir often prefer to stick with beams and energy cannons, but the Rippers already seem to have weapons suitable for fighting enemy cruisers at short to moderate range. If I may make a suggestion..."
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 am

Bonus pics: support documentation for the First Battle of Merak...

Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “T.A.R.”