Need details on trade system

Tactics and Action Reports.
AlanF5

Re: Need details on trade system

Post by AlanF5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:However what I find even more strange is on the next turn (which leaves two turns for establishment still) My Planetary Development Completely dropped to 0

So first it adds trade to Planet Dev. and then it is completely paid off the next turn??
It seems right to me. Any planet with a net negative income is reported as light-blue "planetary development" cost. Any planet with a net positive income contributes to income, assigned to savings and/or research.

Your population must have grown enough to generate at least 1,482 more moneys.

Fake edit: And now I re-read everyone's post very carefully and see that I have to widen my browser to see the Empire Management screen and its anomalous Planetary Develepment value. :oops: I see now. You are not crazy; I am blind.

To be fair, I have never set up trade routes to a less than perfectly terraformed world.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:55 pm

There really no problem Alan.

The reason why I set up trade to terraforming worlds is because Morrigi seems to get such a bonus from trade that once said trade is established it eliminates all payments to the terraforming world.

Yes I tried this many times by the way to make sure I wasn't just seeing things.

During establishment I get the added income going to development for one turn apparently.. after that if trade income ends up higher then planet base terraform cost then I end up with 0 planet development for that world. Once all planets are done this way you end up with planets that make a profit even while terraforming.

I actually find this concept slightly more scary then Zuul. Only because Zuul still takes a dozen turns to terraform and generate income from High CH worlds.

All Morrigi has to do is dump 5 Freighters into the trade sector and wait 3 turns regardless of time it takes to terraform!

Of course high CH worlds may need more then one trade route to do this unless you got CR trade ships.

and since trade routes are really only based on IO of 1500, meaning you can over harvest the terraforming world and get a trade route rather quickly.(however you have to watch the IO and lower overharvest as IO increases so that you don't kill all your resources)

This is just my experience with Morrigi... who seem to be the only race that can run early game without any Planetary Devlopment which means more money for research :bangdesk: (I am pretty sure other races could do the same.. but income from trade doesn't seem to be enough $ in my opinion. Although I will try with Humans because of their fast strategic speed, I will be able to move freighters more easily.)

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Uh, doesn't that slow your planet's development?

i.e. Takes longer to get full terraform/infra?

I guess it's a choice of covering development costs versus getting the colony up faster, but there is also the up front cost of the freighters and the lost opportunity cost during the time it takes the freighters to travel. (unless the new colony is in a trade sector with an already mature world, ofcourse)

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Of course, but if the planet costs are completely eliminated it should be worth it. Btw, are you sure they're not just masked? Though I thought trade was added separately, not to planetary income.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Another item to consider in this is the trade/construction bar and how it works at it's base (ie without trade researched).

You can consider this bar the planet is doing work vs the planet is not doing work. Any not-work goes to money making without regard to any trade ships.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:56 pm

We've accounted for income from IO.

vahnn

Post by vahnn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:03 am

I never spent much time figuring out the trade mechanics, as I've only even played a handful of games as trade-capables races. Usually I just play Zuul and a) all your base are belong to us, or b) all your dead are belong to your gods. =D

Who needs trade when you can turn overharvest up to 11? 8)
You've just been Suul'Ka Whored!

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:07 am

So, after some more testing, this is not a bug, but a display quirk : Because all trade is already counted under Trade Income, but because it's ALSO added to Income as shown on each planet, it must be removed under Planetary Development. (IIRC planets with negative income are not added to the Planetary Income total, but to the Planetary Development total only.)

But, during my testing, I've found another bug : you get more income than what the Budget screen tells you. It varies rather dramatically : one turn I had an extra 50k, several turns after that, only 10k (in both cases it was more than what I got from interest on my savings!). It was different from the economy growth from one turn to the next. I have no idea where that extra money comes from.

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Did you finish a research project that turn? If so and the research bar was set to such a high amount that the research would pass 150%, all of that extra research is converted back to money.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Research was set to zero.

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:41 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:But, during my testing, I've found another bug : you get more income than what the Budget screen tells you. It varies rather dramatically : one turn I had an extra 50k, several turns after that, only 10k (in both cases it was more than what I got from interest on my savings!). It was different from the economy growth from one turn to the next. I have no idea where that extra money comes from.

I will note that the treasure screen says "Projected Income", so it might be that it is suppose to have a random component to it.

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:35 pm

I think the projected income does not allow for any changes due to altering CH due to terraforming, changes in population or IO or reductions in planetary development costs. It just seems to be a static projection.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm

No, that's not it. That's why I added that the extra income was different from the economy growth from one turn to the next one.

A random component? That does not make sense...

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I don't think it's random. It's just that there are so many interconnected moving parts that precise amounts are hard to arrive at.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:02 pm

But all the amounts ARE accounted for, to the last credit! It's just that you get more than that...

Return to “T.A.R.”