The Unified Alliance of Worlds II: The Core

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: The Unified Alliance of Worlds II: The Core

Post by ZedF » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:45 am

I believe if your fleet survives 2 rounds of combat it will disappear on the 3rd round of combat... but you first have to survive the two rounds. Sending 2 small fleets that get defeated doesn't count.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:48 am

Admiral Eurix was again in her office (sometimes it seemed like she never left the place.) pouring over the never-ending tide of reports. The Liir were on constant vigil for any more Zuul sightings, and the Swarm were continuing the cause some trouble. Still, those were yesterday's reports, so more were on their way.

Right on cue, her aide walked in carrying a net of datapads. "Here are today's reports Admiral." She waved him into one of the other chairs.

"Might as well run me through them. My eyes feel like they're about to roll out of their sockets."

Turn 41-45
Since a number of our exploration ships were waiting for tankers to catch up to them only a small handful of worlds were charted. Durla II was a rock, Wundagore was colonizable at 235, and Bismol II will have to be put off for later, being 384.

As feared, the Swarm Queen's swarm wiped out the new colony at Braal II. While it was a blow, the Bugcruncher Fleet was already on the way, destroying the Hive at Kanjar Ro II before moving on to clear out Braal II for recolonization. Sadly, the gauntlet of 3 battles wore on the fleet. They lost 3 ships and had to scuttle 2 more. While they were defending Braal II, the 2nd Bugcruncher Fleet cleared out Wundagore.

Wazn II was colonized.

A new set of colony ships were built for Braal II, a new exploration ship left for the frontier, and 3 defense fleets were either built or filled out. Despite some setbacks, the Science Department finally managed to set up the FTL Economics network, leading the shipyard to immediately crank out 5 freighters. With our border approaching the Tarka sectors and already reaching the Hiver sector, the Department has begun to rebuild the Node Focusing systems, allowing our ships to move more easily through the nodelines.

Turn 46
The comm chirped. "Incoming signal from the Foxtrot, Admiral."

"Put her on." The screen came to life and Commander Naphie's image filled it. "Admiral, we're ready to depart for Winath II. All ships check out and everyone's geared up to go."

"Very well Commander. Good luck at Marklar II. The Liir are-" A piercing screech stabbed into everyone's eardrums and the image dissolved into a hash of static. A moment later the screech was replaced by a gravely voice. "Relent! For I will come upon you and strike with the sword of my mouth!"

UAS Foxtrot
"Kill the comm!" the Commander ordered, and the bridge returned to its usual busy quiet. "What the hell was that?"

"Commander, we've got a massive ship on sensors! It just appeared." The officer that made the report checked his screen. "It's the source of the interference Commander. I'm putting it up on screen."

Commander Naphie felt fear for the first time since she was a little girl, and she had no idea why. "Cast off all moorings and get the fleet on an intercept course. We need to stop that thing."

It was the last order she ever gave.

Admiral Eurix's Office
"What the hell was that thing?" she asked her aide.

"No one really knows, but most have come to call it "The Herald" thanks to it's message. And you already know its effect on the population here Admiral. Morale dropped to a record low, and a sizable number are calling for us to put all our efforts into returning to Ophiuchi."

Admiral Eurix scoffed. "Not going to happen. Commander Naphie will not have sacrificed herself and 6 other ships so that we can tuck tail and run. Rebuild her fleet. We stop for nothing. Kaprica may be a barren rock, but Deneb was a pure jewel at 9 HR, and Henna's colony fleet landed during the fighting here."

Turn 47-50
Following the Admiral's edict to redouble their efforts in the core, 20 new colony ships were built, some for Deneb, some for Wundagore, some for other planets that are on the list. Shoni II was colonized, and another freighter hit the trade lanes, with 2 more exploration ships ready to uncover more of the core's secrets.

The Tarka discovered an Alien Derelict in their sectors, and faced a Swarm Queen. Zoon II (a system on the border between the Human and Hiver sectors) was home to another Swarm Hive and the 2nd Bugcruncher Fleet was dispatched to clear it out. Other exploration ships charted Kithrup II, Sera II, and Majipoor II, but none were useful right now (either too far from current habitability to be economical to colonize, or a barren rock).

The Herald may have shaken things up, but the mission would continue, no matter what.

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
Wow, that was a blow. When I saw that Herald show up at my homeworld I feared the worse. I tried to get the Herald himself but my pulsed fission destroyers just couldn't keep up, so I had to settle for the riders that were eating them alive. Thankfully I already had 5 freighters out and about, and with 5 trade routes at Lupus I could quickly get the morale bonus for having every route open and manned. Not exactly how I like my routes, but better than a homeworld rebellion, right?

I'm hoping Node Focusing doesn't take too long. I'm already getting spread out to the point where it can take 10 turn or more to get from the developed systems to the new colonies.
Ngima Tstal Aysanhìyä lu tìrey!

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:11 am

Still waiting to see this! quit playing so much multiplayer :P

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 am

UAS Pinafore, Lt. Commander Corcoran commanding

The Pinafore might have been a simple tanker ship, but her captain was having the time of his life. He had been dismayed when the Venture Star had crashed, cutting everyone off from Ophiuchi, but he still managed to gain the captaincy that he wanted. While his first mission was to tend to a colony fleet, he had been retasked to exploration, the exact reason why he joined the mission in the first place. Despite the distance from Lupus, the subspace radio kept him up to date.

Turn 51-54
After long voyages, colony fleets arrived at Fomalhaut, Braal II, and Wundagore. Fomalhaut and Wundagore were fresh worlds for the Alliance, but Braal II's new citizens were taking up the mantle left by those that had been slaughtered by the Swarm.

In an amazing case of bad luck, Fomalhaut was hit by Von Neumann probes just hours after landing. Thankfully the machines left the new settlement alone, having concentrated their harvesting on the other side of the planet. Unfortunately, the tanker that was still in orbit was caught trying to flee and was lost.

Most of the exploration fleet was still en route to the unexplored sectors, but 2 systems were charted. Argelius was a pleasant 197 while Unicron was a barren rock (though one sensor sweep suggested the possibility of an artificial structure, but this could not be confirmed.)

9 colony ships were built, along with 2 tankers, and 1 armors to reinforce the 1st Bugcruncher Fleet and to start a new defense fleet for colonies.

The Science Department finished rebuilding the Node Focusing drive enhancements and started on Advanced Robotics, hoping to make shipbuilding a little easier since things were getting quite busy.

Turn 55-57
The bulk of the latest exploration wave reached their destinations. Orlando II was a colonizable 129, Ilmatar II was a balmy 348, Salusa II was a rock, and Altair II was a nasty 620. Encouraged, the ships pressed on.

12 more colony ships were built, the latest in the colonization push. The new defense fleet was finished with 3 more armors and a command ship added.

Buoyed by the newest generation of scientists, the Science Department quickly finished the Advanced Robotics project and began establishing Orbital Foundries.

Turn 58-60
In contrast to the mixed results of the previous systems, this wave was an utter disaster for the exploration fleets. Vela, Shaggai, Cetus II, and Mamoru II were all barren rocks. Worse, Cetus II was guarded by an Alien Derelict. The ship was able to escape unharmed, but the ship at Adhara was not so lucky. They stumbled across another cluster of ancient Morrigi Alien Wreckage and was cut down. At least the Uxor II system, current location of the Pinafore, was a somewhat decent 419.

Another defense fleet was started, and a tanker was commissioned to give it enough fuel to reach its destination.

After traveling for some times, colony fleets dispatched to Argelius and Deneb landed, established the furthest border for the Human sector of the core.

Thanks to the recently completed Orbital Foundries, the fleet started working on resurrecting some cruiser-sized designs, and this was a new opportunity for the markets.

Smiling at the latest, Commander Corcoran moved to said market reports, wondering how his portfolio was doing when the proximity alarm went off. "Sensors just picked up a ship entering sensor range Captain." Ensign Rackstraw reported.

"Can you identify it?"

"Not yet, its still outside of visual range." He paused. "Wait a moment, I think they've seen us, they're reversing course."

The captain sat up straight. "After it. If we can make contact with a new race we'll all be handed buckets full of medals."

Admiral Eurix's Office, Lupus

"You realize that this is a huge problem for us." The Admiral stood there with her hand on her chin, staring at the image on the screen:

"It might not be that bad. It has different markings than the ones the Liir have encountered. They may not be working together." he aide offered.

"Doesn't matter. There are more Zuul here in the core, and they're establishing node lines near our sector. They didn't identify themselves, but they're bound to have been around long enough to have met the bunch near the Liir. If they're not warring, then we're in deep shit."

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
Sorry for the delay, I've been saddled with a bunch of tests and other small projects this week so I fell a little behind. Things are picking up a little bit in this semester, but it won't last for too much longer.

Anyways, now that I've found the exploration arm of the closest Zuul I should start gearing up. Granted, I learned my lesson last TAR, I should have a full economy set up and ready to go by the time I hit the Weasel Wall (I hope.) Now that I have node focusing I shouldn't have any trouble getting ships all over my territory, and once I hit cruisers I think I can get after the alien wreckages on my east side (I already have light emitters. Would that be enough?)

Also, at what point would it be worth it to get the xenotechs to get that Liir colony under my control? While they do let me pass if I hit the peace button, the auto route selection keeps wanting to go around it, and that's a huge detour.

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Admiral Eurix was once again buried in the never ending avalanche of reports. Things were picking up all along the mission's front, and not all of it was for their good.

Turn 61-64
Manticore II was a Zuul colony and they didn't appreciate a visit. W'kanda II was a barren rock along with Okara II. Octans was a pleasant 142, but was protected by an Asteroid Monitor. Zoon II was cleared of its Swarm infestation, but its climate hazard was 578, far outside the current acceptable range.

A pair of Zuul ships were detected while en route to Deneb, but there were no ships in immediate range. A pair of tankers were dispatched to assist the lone tanker already in orbit but they would be late. 2 new defense fleets were constructed, but Deneb was unable to build their own the colony was too young, and all the others were far out of range. Since an increase in construction was needed, 6 new freighters were added to the trade lines to open up additional revenue.

When the Zuul arrived everyone feared the worst, but to everyone's shock, they did nothing. The Zuul just hung out in the outskirts of the system.

While the knowledge of the Zuul presence in the core spread far and wide throughout the Alliance installations, the Science Department suffered a major drawback and the Cruiser Construction project was delayed.

Turn 65-66
The scouting fleets turned up very little in this period. Cuthbert and Baltar were bare rocks, and Prion's habitable planet (CH 183) was again protected by an Asteroid Monitor.

The Zuul made a run at Deneb, but they were repulsed by the 3 tankers. Sadly, one of their fuel tanks took a direct hit in the melee and all 3 were caught in the explosion, leaving the colony open to further attack. 2 more defense fleets were ordered and 6 more freighters were added to the fleet to further bolster the trade income.

At long last the Science Department finished the new Cruiser frames, then decided to upgrade their defenses with Point Defense Tracking.

Turn 68-70
Admiral Eurix could only shake her head sadly at the final report from Deneb. Without any ships or anything to fight off the Zuul, the ravaging weasels burned the colony to the ground. Not willing to let this happen again, 3 more defense fleets were built, 2 more freighters were added for extra cash, and the scoutships pressed into the unknown, deeper than any of the other Alliance members.

Tiamat II and Zenla II were both very promising with hazard ratings of 147 and 196, Baltar II was a passable 275, but Bolovax Nik II was 440, and Caladan II was a rock. Tiamat II was a Zuul colony, though the scout was able to hide in some asteroids, and Kreelar had some Zuul scouts which destroyed the Alliance ship.

At least the report ended on a good note: Point Defense Tracking was completed and the Department began reconstructing Salvage Technology.

Despite the discovery of the Zuul wall, the mission was progressing. Each of the Alliance member races have linked up (though the Tarka and Humans didn't have any colonies immediately next door to each other yet), and they were strengthening their defenses, ready to take on the Zuul if it comes to a fight (with it probably would.)

Still, Admiral Eurix worried for the Liir. The Zuul were rather prominent in that area of the Core, and if they pressed hard on them there wouldn't be much the Liir's allies could do about it.

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
Looks like I've found the Zuul wall at last. I'm running into more and more colonies and scouts, and the Liir look like they're starting up a full on war. I really hope they can handle themselves up there, but if not I'm not sure if I can help. At least they've got the Tarka next door (though I have no idea how well the AI works together when in teams.)

Out of curiosity, what is the chance of an AI rebellion when you do non-boosted research? I researched it for the 1st time ever in an MP game, and despite it taking only 5 turns, I had a rebellion after only 2. I decided to give it a shot because I saw HunterBlackLuna get his AI with no problems in his Lets Play with a longer research time.

Arcosian

Post by Arcosian » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 am

Sadorandomiser decrees that all good CH worlds will have a Monitor if you are lucky, a Swarm if you are not.
If you have neither this guarantees it is a colony trap instead!

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Sometimes I wish people would just shoot me. Then I'd be free from all this paperwork... Admiral Eurix cursed to herself. Being a flag officer she knew that the paperwork was important, but this was beyond insane. Is this what the President deals with every day?

Turn 71-75
Fleet construction continued with the establishment of the final 3 colony defense fleets. It was the culmination of a major push, but it was worth it. The Disaster of Deneb would never happen again, though it was questionable at best if a planet could repulse a major Zuul attack right now. Still, it was a start. Now that the defense fleets were all set up, the Engineering Department resumed building freighters, with an initial order of 5.

The Science Department finalized the new Salvage Technology systems, and immediately started adapting the technology into an Asteroid Mining ship.

While the exploration push has mostly fizzled out thanks to the Zuul border, Cassandra II and Tunguska II were both mapped by ships but they were currently uninhabitable with a CH of 583 and 572 respectively.

Turn 76-78
The peace that had filled the human sectors of the Core came to an end. It began when a group of raider ships attacked a freighter in Sector 99. Out of range of any of the planetary defense fleets, the freighter was lost with all hands. Things went downhill from there. A scoutship came across a quad of Zuul ships at Aaryn, another stumbled into a Zuul colony at Regis, and a tanker ship's navigation system glitch sent it right into the Alien Wreckage at Adhara. The Zuul had run the scoutships down, and Admiral Eurix swore that they would be avenged.

But to do that, they needed material for ships. With the Zuul blocking the systems deeper into the Core, the Admiral decided that they should expand laterally, towards the Hivers and the Tarka. The Tarka sectors were a little hard to reach thanks to the Alien Wreckage, but they had a way around for the time being. The Hiver sector didn't have much, so if they wanted to grab anything there they would have to move fast. Miraculously, the Science Department managed to crack the programming of the Asteroid Monitor in the Octans system, so that world was now colonizable. To start off, 15 colony ships were built to grab the 2 closest planets. 8 more freighters were added to the supply lines, their cargo holds able to carry material from the sources to the shipyards.

The scoutships didn't have much luck again. The only planet they found that wasn't covered with Zuul was Unicorn II, but it was a rock. At least it would be a good source of raw material for the mining ships that will be built later. The Department went overbudget on their research, but they promised to have it wrapped up soon.

Turn 79-80
While she wasn't happy about it, the Science Department didn't keep her waiting for too much longer. Asteroid Mining was finally completed, and the 1st 3 mining ships were started at the shipyards, along side 8 freighters. Now that so many ships were flying, the Department began upgrading their CnC systems, hoping to resurrect the old Data Synergy command software.

A ship reached Errai II for the 1st time and discovered an independent Tarka colony. Sadly the ship was out of fuel, and too far away for a tanker to arrive in a timely fashion, but the Tarka were willing to host the crew until a ship could be sent. Grateful for their assistance, the crew took up temporary residence there. Hesperus was guarded by an Asteroid Monitor, but the EAS Cardian was able to slip outside of its weapons range. Hesperus was a rock, but the Science Department started working on unlocking the Monitor anyways.

With a new colony fleet en route to reclaim Deneb, her new defense fleet was dispatched first, clearing it of the 1 Zuul ship that was still in the system. Now clear (for the time being at least), the Admiral was looking forward to taking a vacation to one of it's long beaches.

Things had been quiet for the past few months, but the Alliance was in a position to start pushing if it came to that. The Liir were continuing to come across Zuul planets, and they were pushing back against the Liir. It was still a worrying situation, but it looked like it might be in hand. For now...

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
Looks like the long stretch of infrastructure building is just about at an end. I've got all the I/O, resource, and construction techs I can get for now, the defense fleets are up and running, and the borders are established (for the most part.) The freighter network will end up being put together piecemeal, but with every small increase my income edges up. With some luck I'll hit critical mass soon.

Once I've got Data Synergy I was planning on clearing out that pocket of Alien Wreckages, but I was wondering: how many ships would I need, and should I upgrade from Light Emitters to Emitters before gunning for them?

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 am

Id say yes the the medium emitters. The extra range and damage will be pretty usefull, since those drones beam weapons are pretty long ranged as well, and pack a heck of a punch. You are going to lose even cruisers.

Arcosian

Post by Arcosian » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:37 am

My first solid effort to clear a Morrigi wreck was a CR C&C with full CR PD escort. I did win but still lost 5 of the ships.

2nd time I set up on the very edge of the formation screen so as to only trigger one wreck worth of drones at a time- much better!

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

UAS Ophiuchi, Captain Clark commanding, Octans colony

Captain Clark watched the defense fleet assemble around the Ophiuchi, but despite his usual confident demeanor, the person standing next to his chair was setting his hair on end. "Admiral Eurix, while it is an honor to have you here with us, are you sure you need to be here?"

She scoffed. "Our first pitched battle against the Core Zuul? There's no way I couldn't be here."

Turn 81-82
Things certainly had been exciting in the time leading up to the Battle of Octans. Everything started well enough: a Von Neumann mothership was driven off with no losses at Henja, scientists managed to crack the Asteroid Monitor at Prion while the Science Department finally finished the Data Synergy system and started on upgrading the fleet's trademark weapon, making a bigger version of the Emitter.

Taking advantage of several planets that hadn't been colonized, 12 new colony ships were built, a defense fleet was started, and Octans was colonized.

Turn 83-86
Things started to turn shortly thereafter. While Fornax II was settled and Deneb resettled after the Zuul attack, the Zuul were discovered in Syrma II, a fatal find for the scoutship's crew, another navigational error ran a colony fleet straight into some Alien Wreckage in Heegaraa, and 2 freighters were ambushed and destroyed by raiders in Sector 99.

Worse, Emitters went over budget, and at the worst possible time. At the very least construction continued without a break: 6 freighters, 15 colony ships with tankers, an escort cruiser, and another defense fleet were all built.

Turn 87-89
Seeing the need to get material around in much vaster quantities, military production slowed to a halt and the shipyards focused on getting freighters on the lanes. 45 new freighters were built in a massive push. Emitters were finished at last and the Department set out to redevelop Polysilicate Alloys to armor the hulls of military vessels.

The Asteroid Monitor in Hesperus came under their control, Prion was colonized, but then the other shoe dropped. The Monitor at Octans discovered a fleet of 22 ships heading straight for them. Thankfully the Ophiuchi had already arrived with its 15 destroyers and they prepped for battle.

Turn 90
"All ships are in formation and reporting ready Captain." someone announced.

"Lets see it." A screen appeared in the viewport:

"Good. Everyone hold here, let them come to us." Every ship acknowledged and the bridge fell silent, the air heavy with anticipation. Suddenly, "Enemy ships on sensors! They're coming out of the asteroid field!"

"On screen!" Admiral Eurix ordered. The long range image from the Monitor resolved and everyone gasped. "Oh my god...."

"They're all cruisers!" someone shouted, but the Captain remained calm. "Keep in formation, let the Monitor take the brunt of it. We'll pick off anyone that tries to slip around." Resolve started to build again, but the Zuul didn't stop. The moment they were in range the weasels opened fire, slamming the Monitor with long streams of projectiles, most ballistic rounds, some plasma. Most bounced off of it armor, but the damage was quickly mounting.

"Captain, one ship is rounding to starboard." Captain Clark shifted the fleet into its path, and without delay: "Open fire!" The first light emitter volley struck the Zuul cruiser, but that's when the panic started to set in. "Minimal damage sir." "What? Continue firing, one we burn through the outer layers they should fall apart quickly."

More emitters danced across space and scorched metal, but the Zuul just shrugged it off. While the Captain concentrated on the 1 ship, Admiral Eurix noticed a new problem. "Captain, their command ship is rounding on the port! We have to stop it!" His head snapped over to the sensor screen and he swore. The Zuul had already rounded and was making for the planet. "All ships break off and give chase!"

Almost on cue, a plasma bolt slammed into a destroyer and it exploded. Undaunted the rest of the fleet broke off and pursued the Zuul command ship, but there was little they could do. Most of the destroyers made it past, but their light emitters only seemed to annoy it. Worse, the Monitor destroyed a cruiser and a new one joined its commander's side. Now faced with two Zuul cruisers the destroyer swarm found themselves outgunned and outmatched. The cruisers concentrated on them, but they were too close to the colony. Almost as an afterthought the Weasels fired on the planet, killing everyone in a single volley.

"No...." Captain Clark sagged into his chair, face twisting in horror, pain, dismay. He froze, and the crew started to panic. The Ophiuchi couldn't break off to chase the Zuul ships and now found itself alone with the Monitor, and surrounded by Zuul ships. One launched several volleys at her, and the ship shuddered under the barrage. Consoles exploded all around Admiral Eurix and alarms blared. "Abandon ship!" she ordered, and hustled the bridge crew out the door, leaving Captain Clark behind as he sobbed in his chair.

Escape Pod

Admiral Eurix could only watch as the Monitor was ground into dust. Back in their home arm none had ever been destroyed, but this one didn't stand a chance. Farther out she could see the glint of a few destroyers that had been disabled and were floating powerless. Then, a shadow descended over her pod and she saw the hull of a cruiser fill the small window...

Venture City, Lupus

Admiral Eurix's aide sat in his normal chair in her office, but he had no energy to work. "I should've tried to stop her." he mumbled to himself. When she announced her intention to be there at the battle he didn't argue or anything. Now she was gone, and the Mission was leaderless. No one could've imagined that the Zuul would've attacked with such strength. They were wounded of course: 6 cruisers had been destroyed, but the cost was enormous. Worse, Octans was the most heavily defended planet they had. If they couldn't stop the Zuul there, where could they?

At least Admiral Eurix had left some orders behind before she left. Polysilicate Alloys were ready and new cruisers were equipped with both the armor and a full set of Emitters. Her last order was to establish a group to clear out the Alien Wreckage, and that's what they were doing. While diplomacy was definitely not an option, the Science Department started on Translating Zuul, hoping that the work would bring insight into their mentality, unlocking strategies to beat them with. After that they would develop as many weapons as they could think of, hoping to find something that would hurt the Zuul.

The Mission had been dealt a major blow today. Whether on not it was a crippling one remained to be seen.

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
First off, sorry for the delays in posting and everything. I'm in the last bit of my final semester so things have been a little busy for me.

Anyways, holy crap Octans was a slaughter. 1 CnC cruiser, 15 armor destroyers, and 1 Asteroid Monitor are no match for 20-21 Zuul cruisers (there was at least 1 destroyer in the bunch), and I learned that the hard way. And that's not going to be the 1st planet I lose right now, unless they don't push any farther. None of the planets in that area are as defended and it'll be a little while before I'm fielding cruisers in those numbers. I've already got some redesigned cruisers, all equipped with point deflectors since the Zuul seem to love heavy stormers. Not sure what I'm going to do about the plasma ships though.

The Raiders are starting to annoy me, so I put a lone cruiser in the sector that gets hit the most. Would that be adequate escort strength or should I send more/different ships?

One thing's for sure, if I'm going, the Zuul will have to deal with AI. I know the risks, but when facing a hard AI of that strength I'm not sure if I can afford not to try the tech.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Escorts are randomly assigned to trade routes, so if you just put one cruiser in, odds are good that they won't be on the route the raiders attack. If you put in one cruiser per route you're more likely to get an escort for your freighters to show up, but not guaranteed. IIRC having deep scan might help your escorts' intercept chances. Also note that if you have q-ships, those have much better odds of showing up in a raid situation.
Zed's TARs (sample):

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Deepscan might help give you some warning of where the Zuul are going to show up next and with what type of ships...

The Monitors already have it, but to be able to analyze the data to tell what type of ships are in the fleet, you need the tech.

How close are you to filling out your trade routes?

might be time to go full production on combat Cruisers for a couple turns.

It's best to attack the Zuul as soon as you can. Get them off their 'game'...

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Admiral Eurix's funeral had been short at her will's request, but it was attended by nearly the entire Alliance fleet (either in person or over FTL transmission.) In the days following the Admiral's aide met with each of the fleet captains to see about reorganizing the leadership, and a decision came rather quickly. Since the initial fleet had been dismantled to build the capitals, as well as the fact that Ophiuchi couldn't send a relief force, it was decided to replace Admiral Eurix and any other fleet captains that fall with a Governor appointed by the Fleet command.

Be it luck, fate, or a curse, Admiral Eurix's aide was chosen to be the human Governor.

Turn 91-92
Governor Kunitz sat in Admiral Eurix's chair, (no, MY chair he reminded himself for the hundredth time) and surveyed the newest reports. The Admiral's final legacy came to fruition with the Zuul language now known to the Alliance. Such an insight has already shown their engineers how to build a ship specifically to counter the Zuul's overwhelming firepower and now they needed a weapon to fill those spaces. Eager to be able to hit the Weasels from a longer range, the Science Department began work on Particle Beams, hoping that they can carve up the enemy's ships like a roast.

The Governor then looked at the latest shipbuilding reports. Two cruiser-based fleets were being readied, complete with refinery and repair ship support. While the Alliance was still outmatched, it was hoped that the fleet could hold the Zuul off long enough to build up enough strength to stand toe-to-toe. Four more freighters were added to the lanes, a drop in the bucket, but they needed the resources.

A little bit later in the day he led the celebration of the settling of Zenla II. It was a moment a joy among a sea of pain, but that came to a swift end for him. While overseeing a parade his aide whispered into his ear: "The Liir homeworld is under attack. They have no ships in the system and are pleading for anyone to assist." Governor Kunitz paled, only the Tarka could help, and their nearest fleet was nowhere near the Liir. Hours later the Liir world was gone, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Turn 93-96
Working night and day nonstop, the Science Department delivered a viable Particle Beam weapon to the Fleet, ready to show the Zuul just what humanity could do. Wanting to bury the aliens in ships the Department moved to mount the beams onto a Spinal Mount for destroyers. This took no time at all and the scientists went straight to work to find a way to burn straight though the Zuul ships: Heavy Combat Lasers.

Less than a day after ordering up 15 freighters and the 1st set of the newly design cruisers (3 designs each based around particle beams, emitters, and plasma weapons) the Governor learned the worst news he possibly could: Zuul fleets were heading to Deneb and Wundagore. The fleet heading to Wundagore wasn't that large or even of the same group of Zuul, but he wasn't taking any chances. Every cruiser they had in range sped to the planet, hoping to hold the line. Sadly, there was nothing he could do about Deneb. The outermost planet in the sector had been cut off from them when Octans fell, and even if it was reachable there was nothing in range. The fact that the Zuul sped straight to such an easy target made him wonder. Could she be alive?

True to the predictions, Deneb fell with only a token fight. Wundagore was a far more pitched battle. The Zuul ran for the planet but the 20+ cruiser fleet met them in a massive furball, destroying 9 of the 12 enemy cruisers at a cost of 16. Sadly, Zuul managed to destroy the colony despite the fleet's attempts to keep them away.

Fleet expansion continued with 2 new assault fleets ordered into production, again a mix of beam, plasma, and emitter based cruisers (2 each of the beam and plasma and 1 emitter) forming the main group. While Wundagore has cost the fleet a large number of ships, production continues to produce ships, and the Governor hopes that soon they can start reducing their losses, or increase production to offset their losses. In the meantime, another freighter took up a trade route.

At the Tarka border the Wreckage clearing fleet cleaned out Heegaraa revealing a planet of 400 CH, viable, but not immediately useful. Once again they repaired, refueled, and moved on to the next system.

Turn 97-100
In a surprising move, the remaining Zuul ships retreated from Wundagore, leaving the fleet with a pyrrhic victory. Despite the cost, a victory was a victory and Governor Kunitz was taking full advantage of it. In a grand speech about not bowing to the ravages of the Zuul he announced the construction of a ship to reclaim Wundagore, the addition of 11 more freighters to the trade system, and the building of 4 new assault fleets. Resources were pouring into the Alliance's planets allowing an unprecedented level of shipbuilding.

After a bit of a delay, the Science Department finally finished the new Heavy Combat Laser weapon which was immediately installed in 3 of the 4 assault fleets that were under construction (replacing the plasma cruisers). Needing an increase in intelligence assets, the Department began working on sensor upgrades, beginning with an Integrated Sensor system to allow fleet commanders to better operate their ships. Again, this took longer than expected, but when it was finished they set out to redevelop the old Advanced Sensors so that they can see what the Zuul are up to.

The Von Neumann tried to strip Zenla II, possibly thinking it an easy target. Its defense fleet proved otherwise, easily chasing them off.

Concerned over the loss of several planets, Governor Kunitz surveyed their sectors of the galactic core and came to a decision. Several planets close to Lupus had been passed over in the beginning due to their being outside of their immediate colonizing range. Now that their technology has been bolstered, it was no longer that unfeasible to colonize them. He ordered up an impressive 24 colony ships to start building up these planets for their use, their resources desperately needed.

The latest intelligence reports were not very promising. The Liir were losing, badly. With the loss of their capital they were reeling under the Zuul, and the Tarka were unable to help. Some have begun to speculate that the Liir were falling under the Zuul's psychic influence, their minimal efforts to defend their planets being used as key evidence. Also, the Zuul that have been pressing on the human sectors have reached fusion, an advantage that needs to be countered quickly. Kunitz made a note to get fusion reactors ready as soon as possible. They were going to need them.

Somewhere
All she knew was pain. Ever since she had been claimed (no, captured she tried to tell herself) her body and mind had been wracked and twisted in pain. Her clothes long shredded by the love (abuse! she shouted to her mind) not even the times her masters left her alone were comfortable, the cold room causing her to shiver and curl up in a futile attempt to keep warm. The door clanked and creaked open and she looked up to see him striding in, pleasure radiating off of him like the sun.

Kneeling over her the Master stroked her cheek with a claw. "You have done well." she heard in her mind, her headache expanding like it always did when he talked. "More of your people have joined us in serving the Lords. Soon all of you will. Now tell me, where shall we claim Their servants next?"

Eurix's mind exploded in pain and her screams filled the room.

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
Once again, I am very sorry that it's taken me this long to get the next post up. You'd think that finishing college would open up a lot of time but holy crap there's been a lot of stuff for me to do.

Anyways, I'm getting back in the swing of things. I was starting to wonder if I had a chance, but the Battle of Wundagore has shown me that with a bit more research I can get pairity with them. My output is cranking out ships like mad, and I'm starting to learn the benefit to strategic withdraws. With Zuul weaselpacks out at the border I have to give up those planets for now, but there was a sizable number of 300+ planets that are open to me now, and close to the well-protected home systems.

I'll have those advanced sensors in the next couple of turns at most and then it's off to Fusion. When I realized that the Zuul had it I understood just how their ships were giving me that much trouble. Once I'm just as speedy as them they should start falling back under my push. Hopefully.

Sadly, it looks like the Liir won't survive for much longer. They've been getting smacked hard and they're the weakest of the Alliance members. There's nothing I can do but watch and pray that the Tarka can start moving to help, but I'm not expecting the AI to be that smart.
Last edited by silvermoon383 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Keep at it! :) Remember, your biggest advantage is that you can grow your economy through trade where the Zuul can't. If you are forcing a stalemate, while still building freighters, you are winning. :thumbsup:
Zed's TARs (sample):

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 pm

I love me a good TAR :thumbsup:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Return to “T.A.R.”