The Unified Alliance of Worlds II: The Core

Tactics and Action Reports.
silvermoon383

Re: The Unified Alliance of Worlds II: The Core

Post by silvermoon383 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 am

Both Admiral Walters and Governor Kunitz looked at the status screens with a pallor of gloom hanging in the air around them. “They blindsided us Admiral.” Kunitz finally broke the silence. “The main fleet was out of position and it let the Zuul run roughshod over the front line. What do you have to say about that?

Walters cleared his throat in response. “With all due respect Governor, the front was going to fall at any moment and there was nothing we could have done about it. The only real mistake we made was thinking that using an uninhabitable planet as a rally point would protect the colonies. Despite the losses though, we’ve learned a very valuable lesson about Zuul technology. They’re vulnerable, and as long as we keep building dreadnoughts we’ll start gaining back lost territory.”

Turn 191-193
The ancient Morrigi derelicts struck again, the colony fleet at Isis triggering a colony trap. Past lessons learned though, the fleet was more than ready for the drones, their light emitters making easy work of the millennia old machines. On the Western front the main fleet was ready to strike back at the Zuul fleet that was nipping at that side of human territory. At the same time, a small dreadnought group moved towards Hyperion II in another attempt to clear out the Zuul fleet there.

Musca II was the first to face the humans’ wrath. Dozens of cruisers lead by one of the new dreadnought command ships soared out of the node point, weapons blazing. Wave after wave of cruisers smashed every weapon they had into the hulls of the Zuul dreadnoughts. The battle was worthy of entry into the military textbooks, all 5 dreadnoughts succumbing to the tenacious Human fleet. While it cost 15 cruisers in the end it was a major victory and they were ordered to remain to hold the system from the oncoming Zuul reinforcements.

The science and industrial sections of the mission proceeded full steam as usual, and produced major results. The Science Department completed the Heavy Driver project ahead of schedule, much to the military’s delight. Now that the fleet is engaged with ships from all three Zuul factions Admiral Walters noted the need to have a central database for commanders to have access to. Acknowledging the need, the Science Department began work on a Data Correlation databank to give fleet commanders to get an idea of what they’ll be facing. A Liir scout made a horrible, but unique discovery: a central base for the Von Neumann drones. The discovery of a VN Homeworld was quite a surprise, but with its presence so far away from human space there is little that can be done about it. In the meantime, the shipyards churned out 2 full Dreadnought groups and 5 freighters.

Turn 194-196
The Fleet ran high on their recent successes against the Zuul and in the fields of science and industry, but this was also when things started to turn for the front lines. The Zuul reinforcements turned out to be an enslavement and colony fleet dispatched by the central faction (color-coded Teal) who proceeded to play a running game in system. It took Commander Leonard quite a while to figure out a way to set up an ambush, too long in the end. The destruction of 1 Dreadnought and 5 cruisers was the last victor the Fleet had. The Dreadnought group dispatched to Hyperion II faced stiff opposition, quickly finding themselves surrounded by the cloakable Zuul fleet there. While all three ships were lost they did manage to destroy 2 of the enemy cruisers and disable the cloaking devices of many more.

The disaster on the front line began at Alpha Virginis II. With the majority of the Central Assault Fleet massing at Vazkor and the Left Assault Fleet occupied in Musca II, Teal managed to slip a massive dreadnought armada into AV II space via a nodeline that had been thought to have dissolved months ago. Caught completely off guard, Alpha Virginis II was reduced to a radioactive ball of rock within minutes.

The only good news to come from the front was the report of the salvage of an intact piece of Zuul technology at Musca II. The captured tech was immediately brought to Lupus for study under the new special project codenamed “Arclight”. It is hoped that Project Arclight will produce something of value to the Alliance. Just before the delivery, the Science Department finished the Data Correlation network. While they were gearing up to begin development of a better material with which to build ballistic rounds with, Governor Kunitz and Admiral Walters insisted on researching a technology never done before, even back on Ophiuchi: Artificial Intelligence. Knowing full well the dangers associated with such a system if control of it was ever lost, every possible safeguard was put into place.

With the loss of Alpha Virginis II and the other losses on the line, the shipyards went into overdrive, readying a record 3 dreadnought groups and 5 freighters for service.

Turn 197-200
The moment AV II was hit, Commander Leonard turned his Left Assault Fleet around and raced to the system to stop the Zuul armada from rampaging further, but that turned out to be in extreme error. A third Zuul fleet appeared on the front (from the left faction, color-coded Purple) and it moved on Wazn II, wiping the colony from the face of the galaxy with ease as the Left Fleet was already in transit and unable to defend the system.

The Left Fleet arrived at Alpha Virginis II, but found that the armada had already moved on. Shaggai II was now in the bullseye, but without a node line the Zuul would take longer to arrive, time enough to allow the fleet to race to its defense. Alarmed at the sudden surge in Zuul activity, the Hivers also dispatched a fleet to Shaggai II. The battle of Shaggai II was furious and lasted the better part of a day. 5 Zuul dreadnoughts dropped onto the planet like a sledgehammer, rushing past the arrayed defenders to wipe out the colony, but it was a move that cost them. It took another 25 cruisers and a dreadnought command ship to force the Zuul back to Alpha Virginis II, but both Shaggai II and Alpha Virginis II were avenged with the destruction of 3 of the 5 Zuul dreadnoughts.

A small miracle reached Lupus when a message arrived from Musca II: survivors had gathered and announced their presence. A ship was dispatched to bring aid for the rebuilding of the colony, but it was in vain. The Purple Zuul armada had also picked up the transmission and jumped the system just after the rescue ship had arrived.

Research into AI continued without incident, but no one was letting their guard down around the lab. Facing a record number of Zuul ships the shipyards went into overdrive, producing 3 full dreadnought groups and 2 more to boot.

The Tarka have been hammered in this period as well, losing most of their front line to Teal, and even the Morrigi have had to deal with Purple probes into their space (ones that end with the death of a planet.) And it appears that the Liir are on the chopping block: Zuul fleets are moving on two of their three remaining planets.

It was a dismal time for the Mission, but that didn’t mean the Alliance couldn’t hurt the Zuul in return.

Wundagore
Lady Eurix laughed at the news her servants were bringing. The Human and Tarkan defenses were crumbling, the Tarka completely unable to stand against her fleets and the Humans stupidly staying in one system, leaving the others with only a bare cruiser group for defense. She was unstoppable, and it was only a matter of time before the entire core was hers. After that....

Alarms screeched throughout her compound and her chief slave was at her side within moments. “Human ships are exiting the Node Point mistress.” he hissed. “Small, but many.”

“Let me see them.” A screen on the wall resolved an image of a single cruiser taking position just in front of the Node, but in front of it was an entire array of node missiles, already racing towards the planet.” The Lady growled and issued a single command: “Swat them out of the sky.”

She watched as her ships turned to face the gnats, weapons hot. With a series of flashes the node rings were ejected from the missiles, fresh high-impulse drives kicking the high-tech spears up to an unimaginable speed. The dreadnought and cruisers opened fire on the missiles the moment they were in range, but it wasn’t enough. A few missiles were destroyed but they were arrayed too far apart for fratricide. Eurix’s blood boiled as one slipped past a blistering beam barrage and plowed right into the face of her dreadnought, the explosion ripping the forward section clean off. The satellites had better luck, destroying more missiles than the ships.

Then her blood turned cold. Multiple missiles made it past the satellites. She rushed outside and saw several fireballs streak through the Wundagore sky, one arcing straight for her city...

Still sitting by the node point, the UAS Shiva watched as massive fireballs engulfed Wundagore. Volcanic fires erupted all over the planet, shockwaves blasting the toxic clouds out of existance before the entire sky was covered in ash and debris. Within minutes the entire planet was dead.

Her mission complete, the Shiva jumped back into Nodespace to rejoin to the Center Fleet.

State of the Mission

Intelligence

Notes and Questions
Well crap. That’s really all I can say. I don’t think I need to tell you how much of a blow it is to lose 4 colonies in 10 turns. The only real good thing I’ve learned is that I can beat the Zuul back, it just takes a lot of cruisers. Also, I’ve switched to using AP rounds as my primary weapon as I haven’t used ballistics around the Zuul yet, and it looks like a good way to punch through their armor. I did get Neutronium Rounds this game so I hope to get that soon, but no Siege Drivers which really sucks. I did get Polarized Plasmatics on my tree, would that be worth getting? I know it does extra damage as the target has more armor (so far the Zuul are using Magnoceramic Lattices), but I’m still concerned with the base damage. If I don’t get Chakkar, War Quoits are woefully underpowered.

I still can’t believe I found myself researching AI. I’ve only had luck with it once before, but I need that research bonus, and possibly even AI Fire Control if I can get it. The Zuul are trouncing me in research and I just can’t keep up. Antimatter is over 20 turns away if I started right now, and I don’t think I can afford to devote that much time into a single project. At least I know I can give the Zuul a massive headache if I get a rebellion. Yeah that’d mean I’m pretty much dead, but if you gotta go...
Ngima Tstal Aysanhìyä lu tìrey!

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 am

“You’re looking quite a bit more upbeat today Admiral.” Governor Kunitz said as Admiral Walters took his seat for the weekly briefing.

“That’s because the news is somewhat good today Governor.” Walters responded with a smile. “We’re one step closer to being able to strike back at the Zuul.”

Turn 201-203
“When we analyzed the data from the Wundagore strike we realized that we’ve been using our Node Missiles in an inefficient manner. Sure, having a legion of them to strike a single planet does work, but it was costing much more than an entire dreadnought group to do so, and they’re one use only. Instead we’re equipping each group with a group of missiles to deal a severe first strike against any dreadnoughts or cruisers the Zuul may have.”

Kunitz scratched his chin. “Sounds promising. How soon til the fleets can be equipped?”

“Very quickly, but not for the reason you want. Every new dreadnought group is being outfitted from the shipyard with node missiles, but the Commander Leonard’s fleet won’t be able to get any missiles for a long while.” The Admiral was looking very sheepish. “Still, 27 missiles, a cruiser group, and 4 dreadnoughts have been built and deployed to the front, both the main and the Hyperion II front. Not to mention a colony fleet was dispatched to Kreelar II with a smaller additional fleet of 3 colony ships tasked to meet them there.”

The Governor didn’t miss the sudden change in topic. “Back up there Admiral.” he glared. “Why won’t the main fleet get their missiles?”

Sighing, “Because they’ve been cut off from us. The followup attack on Wundagore was a minor disaster for us. It looked like the Zuul were expecting it. Multiple dreadnoughts and cruisers were waiting the moment the fleet exited Nodespace, knocking out the first wave of 3 dreadnoughts and 4 cruisers in minutes. When Leonard’s command ship went up his XO panicked, and ordered the fleet out of the system as fast as they could, but again, it appears the Zuul were expecting that. Every node was blocked so the fleet raced out of the system at STL speeds.” Walters looked past the Governor and out the window behind him. “Bolovax Nik can expect them in approximately 34 cycles.”

Turn 204-206
Kunitz’s pen slammed into the desk and it bounced past Walters’ head. “And you say the news is good!?” he roared.

“It’s not just that. It turns out that the Zuul are colonizing the planets they took from us. Sensors picked up colonies at Hyperion II, Musca II, and Alpha Virginis II.” Kunitz was starting to fume but the Admiral jumped ahead. “But we’ve already taken care of that. The Hyperion Fleet used an old-fashioned cruiser swarm to soften up the ships there and the dreadnoughts plus missiles finished most of them off. Most importantly, they wiped out the colony there. While all 6 cruisers were destroyed and the dreadnoughts cannoned to Metaluna the mission was a success. At the same time another fleet hit Musca II, wiping out both the colony and its defending dreadnought with ease.”

“So while we’ve lost most of our ships to a panicky commander you’ve been able to keep the Zuul from establishing a new line. Anything else Admiral?

Walters was smiling now. “Actually yes. While we were striking at the Zuul we were able to build a defense group, 6 dreadnoughts, 9 missiles, and 5 freighters, and the colony ships landed at Kreelar II.”

Walters produced a small object from a pocket. A small round disk with a shallow electronic dome were clear marks of a portable holo-emitter. "What's that you have there?"

The Admiral turned the device on and the image of a woman appeared. "Governor Kunitz, I'd like to introduce you to LEIA."

"Lifeform Emulating Intelligent Algorithm." the AI explained. "I came online just a few days ago."

Kunitz was floored. "They actually did it? A viable artificial intelligence?"

LEIA smirked. "If they hadn't I wouldn't be here. I've already been integrated with the Science Department's computers, helping them with the newest programming study."

"Since we're so outnumbered we need every shot count so they're working on a way to integrate LEIA into shipboard systems for an AI Fire Control. This should also increase ship maneuvering a bit as well.”

LEIA piped up again. “Speaking of which I should get back to work. It was good to meet you Governor.” And with that she winked out and the emitter shut down.

Turn 207-210
“That was incredible. I never thought I’d ever see an actual AI.” Kunitz exclaimed.

“Trust me, you’ll see more of her in the future. Once things calm down on the front a bit we might be able to spare the time to expand her systems into industry or administrative functions. But that’s for another day. The dreadnoughts in Metaluna started back to their port for repairs and replenishment via Hyperion II. The Captain was wanting to make another pass at the Zuul ships there, but it appears the Zuul left a surprise for her. They had pulled out every ship except for their cloaked cruisers. Instead of running for the nodepoint like she should have she stood her ground, firing blindly.” Walters shook his head. “That cost her her life, command ship, and one other dreadnought.”

Kunitz sighed. “What is it with ship and fleet commanders not knowing about the strategy of retreating? They’re costing us ships and manpower that is hard to replace.”

“I know. We’re working on the problem, but the idea of revenge is running rampant throughout the Fleet. At least Alpha Virginis II was knocked out before the Zuul could get a permanent site set up. We didn’t lose any ships there, but we didn’t kill any either.

“In the meantime we’re building more ships. 5 dreadnoughts and 12 missiles are filling holes and expanding fleet capabilities, and with the Zuul starting to expand their use of cloaked cruisers for perimeter defense we’ve started equipping fleets with a deep scan-equipped scoutship to locate them. That should fill in the gap until we can equip dreadnoughts with the appropriate sensors.”

Kunitz was nodding through the end of the report. “Sounds good, but make sure to try to better ship armor if you can. If we can cut down of ship losses that’ll go a long way. Thanks for the report Admiral, I’ll see you next time.”

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
I swear, I’m trying hard, but looking at my position I’m not sure I can win this game. The Liir are down to 1 planet (and I have no idea why the Zuul haven’t sacked it yet) and the Tarka are getting pressed hard. The Morrigi are getting sniped a bit, but not too badly (yet). Oddly enough, the Hivers have yet to be touched. Of course, I’m also looking at the problem of technical limits. My turns are starting to take over a minute, maybe more, to process, and sometimes I have trouble switching back to strategy screen after combat. Either way, I’ll keep this going until it crashes, one way or another.

I just could not believe that my main fleet ran away via STL after the disaster at Wundagore. Worse, I can’t tell them to change course to a closer planet. Thankfully my shipbuilding production is at the point that I can replace them pretty quickly with top of the line ships. Since it’ll be another 27 or so turns before I can use them I’m thinking about scrapping them all to save on maintenance costs. What do you think?

Once I have AI Fire Control my plan is to get the Electronic Warfare section, then new armor and disrupter shields. After that I’m not sure. Should I get some new weapons (Lancers and the polarized plasmics are really drawing my eye), or should I go straight to antimatter?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:37 am

You can make them change course or even head back to the system they just left if you wait 1 turn for them to reorganize and get their heads back in the game. It takes 1 turn of moving away in panic retreat mode before you can issue orders again. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Oh good. I was really wondering why the nodeline movement rules were applying when in STL. Sadly I think these ships are now nothing but cannon fodder thanks to the ever-growing tech gap.

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 am

Turn 211-213
LEIA downloaded the latest reports and shook her virtual head. "They never cease to amaze me." she muttered, catching the attention of Dr. Brandis, her coordinator.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"The military spend several days hunting a lone damaged cruiser at Alpha Virginis II. They should have been using that time to repair and move on to the next target." The AI may have been made to assist with scientific matters but she had plenty of military knowledge herself. Too bad Admiral Walters didn't seem to want to listen.

"Maybe the Admiralty is waiting for the main fleet to return to the node lines." the scientist suggested. "Or they could be waiting for some additional resources. The shipyards have been running non-stop for weeks now."

LEIA scoffed. "5 node missiles, 6 support cruisers, and only 3 combat dreadnoughts. Hardly adequate reinforcements considering the numbers and technology the Zuul possess. Granted, replacing the old destroyer-sized freighters with new mega-freighters is a good idea, they really shouldn't be putting so much focus into it. For every combat ship they built 4 freighters, hardly the grand fleet that'll stand against the rampaging horde."

Dr. Brandis chuckled. "Maybe so, but I think we just found a way to make Admiral Walters hold you in higher regard. Stand by for a system update." LEIA stood still in her holoprojector and winked out a moment later. Brandis and the other AI techs added several very large components to LEIA's main program and soon enough she was back online.

"Oh my..." she exclaimed while reviewing her new additions. "Programming to allow full control over ship navigation, fire control, military tactics algorithms, the whole works." She smirked. "Will I be getting a rank too?"

Brandis laughed. "Probably not, but now that you can take over any military ship that you're installed on the Admiral should take you much more seriously. Though we'll still need your help as always on the next project. We need a better armor and the old Magnoceramic Lattices are a good place to start."

Turn 214-217
Several days later, Dr. Brandis walked into the lab to find LEIA laughing. "What's so funny?" he asked.

"I just figured out Project Arclight. No wonder it was giving us so much trouble, it was so obvious that we missed the mark. It was a Predictive Gunnery system, and it's already obsolete thanks to my new Fire Control programming."

"Good to hear we won't be wasting our time with it then." the scientist muttered. "Standby for transfer to the portable emitter. You're needed in the Governor's briefing room ASAP. Looks like they're finally ready to listen."

Less than an hour later LEIA was the only one that wasn't shocked by the new Admiral Walters dropped on the combined council. Despite the Hyperion Fleet's victory at Hyperion II the day before things went south in the East Sector very quickly. The fleet had finally cleared the system of the cloaked Zuul fleet and it was once again open for colonization. 29 colony ships were prepared to claim both Hyperion II and another system for the Alliance once again, but before anyone could move the Zuul dropped a sledgehammer on the East. In a one-two punch fleets jumped the node line to Hyperion II and a new one that led straight to Baltar II. Hyperion was quickly overrun with all 3 dreadnoughts destroyed before they could even react. Baltar II fared even worse. With only a minimal defense force consisting of a hastily built dreadnought and a police cruiser. The police force was blown away in the opening volley and the dreadnought was cannoned to nodespace, leaving the planet completely exposed. In less than an hour the entire colony was wiped out.

"So what do we do?" a very rattled Walters asked of the AI. He had paraded her around after her creation but had relegated LEIA to the science lab. His options were diminishing with every blow the Zuul made.

LEIA looked at the human dead in the eye. "Very simple Admiral. You go on the offensive. For months you've been amassing ships at the same planets over and over again leaving others open to attack. The Zuul have been able to get you and you predecessors to play their game with their rules. It's time for you to get them to play yours. The central systems, including the still developing colonies, have been completely exposed thanks to the utter collapse of the Eastern line. You have got to get the Zuul to focus in their own territory."

"But how do we do that?" someone pleaded. "We're outmatched in every way."

LEIA brought up a map of Alliance territory and known Zuul holdings, overlaying the current locations of every fleet and facility they possessed and knew of. "We've been outmatched since day one Commander, but that's not a big issue. So far every attempt at trying to push back at the enemy was done as it was back in the home arm, target a border world one or two at a time and grind it until it's ours. The Zuul use the same strategy, but they are much better at it. One thing they're psychology shows though is that they will scratch an itch with the biggest claw they've got. In order to hurt them you have to hit them where they're soft. And that's not at the border." Said border lit up on the map. "No, you have to get through the line and get to the soft innards." A node path was highlighted and a marker showed just what she meant.

The room opened up in a furor. "We can't commit everything to an attack!" someone yelled while another shouted the exact opposite. LEIA quieted them all down with a very high pitched noise. "I'm not talking about a suicidal thrust in an attempt to get them to give us some breathing room. We need to punch a hole into their core and pour in every ship we can get our hands on. The 4 dreadnoughts we've built since regaining Alpha Virginis II is a good start but the shipyard orders have got to be better. We can not afford to spend so much on colony ships or replacement freighters. Even support ships should only be built on an as-needed basis. Now that Magnoceramic Lattices are available new ships will survive under fire for longer and with me in control they'll be more accurate. What we need now is an adequate dreadnought-based command and sensor system. The Science Department is already working on the 1st of the required systems. Once all of these are online we'll be able to see everything the Zuul throw at us in a system, and their cloaked ships can no longer hide."

LEIA turned her attention back to Admiral Walters. "Admiral, now that the remains of Commander Leonard's fleet has rendezvoused with the 2nd Fleet at Alpha Virginis send them all to Wundagore. Have them break through and push on down the line as far as they can."

Turn 218-220
With LEIA keeping everyone in check the rest of the meeting went smoothly. They were just about to adjourn to see to the readying of the fleet when one of Governor Kunitz's aides burst in. "There's a transmission from the Liir Sector!" he announced. Ever since the Liir had lost 2 of their remaining 3 colonies there hadn't been a word from them. Before anyone could request it LEIA found the transmission in the communication net and put it up on the screen.

"...our race is no longer lost." a very haggard Liir said to the camera. "Who is that?" someone whispered. LEIA ran an ID and discovered that this was a Lieutenant in the Black Navy. If this was the spokesman for the Liir things were very bad indeed.

"For months we have been struggling with the truth but we can avoid it no longer. We must join our elder brethren and serve them as that is our proper place. We plead with those that we befriended to follow us in this duty to serve Them. All who are willing to serve are worthy to do so, and service guarantees life." Without another word the transmission ended and you could hear a pin drop.

"What the frak did he say?" Walters finally broke the silence. "Join our elder brethren? They're not related to the Zuul in any way."

"It's clear that they've fallen under the Zuul's psychic influence." LEIA told the room. "The only surprise here is that it took this long for it to happen. It was inevitable. Admiral, the only thing protecting our right flank now is the Tarka and they won't last for much longer either. We need as many ships as you and the Governor can muster and fast. The new Sensor Jammers have already segued into the Quantum Chaff project. We'll be ready to combine them all into a new command section within the next few days. Get the fleet to Wundagore and drive the knife as deep as possible."

Over the next several days the Human sector of the Alliance's Core Exploration Mission went into overdrive under LEIA's council. Only 3 dreadnoughts were built, but that was only because of the extensive ship redesigns that came with LEIA's installation and the addition of the new armor. Leftover funds went to a small number of mega-frieighters and a pair of support cruisers.

Like clockwork the 2nd Fleet pounded Wundagore with everything it had, one group harassing the defenders while another cut off reinforcements, and a third hammered the planet. In just 2 days Wundagore was clear of the Zuul, the weasels losing a dreadnought, a pair of support ships, and the remaining satellites. A salvage ship picked up some of the debris and Special Project Collossus was formed to try to reverse engineer the scrap. Pausing only to refuel and rearm the 2nd Fleet jumped back into nodespace to take on the next Zuul colony, leaving the hulks of their 2 lost dreadnoughts behind.

Back in her lab, LEIA watched the information feeds without pause, analyzing every bit of data as it reached her. Soon a familiar pattern started to emerge...

State of the Mission

Notes and Questions
I'm ALIIIIIIIIVVVVVVE!

Holy frak I've been away from this for too long. I'm sorry to have kept you all in suspense for all these months, I'll spare the pitiful attempt at coming up with excuses, I know you don't care. XD

You all have been screaming at me to do it for months but I just didn't listen. I'm just so much of a turtle that I never want to go on the offensive unless I know I'll win, and boy will this game not give me this guarantee. I'm really, really, really gambling that this thrust straight to the heart of Teal will get them off of my right side cause right now it's on it's back with the belly ready to be gutted. I'm trying my hardest to rebuild that line but if they press I'll lose more than a single colony.

Right now I've got all the requisite techs for the Electronic Warfare command section, I'm researching Advanced Dreadnought Engineering right now. That should take care of the cloaking problem once and for all (my sensor CRs were getting blown away pretty quickly), and with a EW-equipped command ship coupled with AI warships should make me a very formidable threat. Now I just need to get a few more defense systems going as well as some new weapons, though I might have to get antimatter first.

I have to admit though, what I really wish for right now is a nice Grand Menace to come and hammer the Zuul for me. Ortgay, Sparky, anyone. Knowing my luck though I'll be the one to get the GM right in the face.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 am

I tend to think that going on the offensive is exactly what you want to be doing. Just bring plenty of refineries and keep moving so it's hard for the Zuul to pin you down. Target their economy, not their fleets -- avoid hitting planets with a large defending fleet if you can and just start burning lightly defended world after lightly defended world. If they do manage to catch you with a bigger fleet than you can easily tackle, try to avoid combat, stay in the outer system, and move on next turn.

Don't forget to bring along a few assault shuttle carriers and send them off to the side away from your main fleet when assaulting a planet. If things go pear-shaped then you can always launch shuttles to distract the Zuul while your fleet disengages.
Zed's TARs (sample):

siracer

Post by siracer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Bout Dam Time you tried to gut them while they weren't looking

and with human ships so fast from system to system you should be more than able to surprise burn their worlds

humans aren't much of a turtle race IMO, Zuul aren't really either, so getting some offense is nice, as you burn a path for reinforcements ;) that pour through as your wound into Zuul space expands ;) :twisted:
The Empers of AaronTopia
SirAaron, SirAce, SirVelrin, SirCral, SirMerkin, SirDragonov, SirReign, SirRain, MissTerrus, SirZerke, MissHevam, SirNov, MissVorte, SirArmad, SirGorex, MissDalna, SirAcer
"Any man can defeat a god. Any man can become a god. Why you do either is what you will be remembered for."

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:42 pm

great TAR, i will follow your progress :D
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm

LEIA materialized on Governor Kunitz’s desk with a smile. “It’s working Governor. The two fleets have broken through the main Zuul line and are wreaking havoc. Even better, the Zuul are chasing them, but can’t catch up, especially with Admiral Emerson ready to ambush the reinforcements.”

Kunitz leaned back in his chair and sighed. “How long can they operate?”

“I don’t know, depends on how quickly they can get a force ahead of ours. Admiral Bernard is working on a random nodepath, picking whatever target his long range sensors show has the weakest defenses, but that won’t hold out forever.” LEIA shrugged. “I already know what you’re thinking: ‘Will he be smart enough to pull out before he gets everyone killed?’ I hope he does.”

“What about the other sectors?” the Governor asked next.

“Mixed results. It’s all in the report.” A text file appeared on the desk console, along with a map that highlighted the points of interest.

Turn 221-224
The first target in Zuul space for the 2nd Fleet was Zenla II. Moving quickly, the fleet turned towards the nearest nodepoint and burned their way through the Zuul vanguard. Running through the metaphorical gates was costly, 5 dreadnoughts to only 2 of the Zuul’s, but it was successful. Shocked at the bold move the enemy took too long in recovering and by the time they brought their superior antimatter engines around it was too late.

The next target was Regis, an actual Zuul colony. With most of their defenses deployed in Zenla II there wasn’t much it could do against the 2nd Fleet. 5 cruisers, a destroyer, and 4 satellites were destroyed along with the colony, and though the Fleet took 2 casualties in the process the strike was a success. With the remaining defenders nipping at their heels, the Fleet went back into nodespace and moved on to their next target: Hesperus. That colony was even more lightly defended, 2 cruisers 4 satellites, and the colony destroyed with no losses. With the vanguards coming up from behind, Admiral Bernard wasted no time in moving on, leaving them to Emerson as he comes up from behind in the second wave.

Finally replenished and on the move, Admiral Emerson’s older fleet jumped into nodespace and retraced the path Bernard’s took. Sadly, Wundagore had been reinforced by the Zuul and it took 5 dreadnoughts before the Fleet jumped back into nodespace, bound for Hesperus.

In the meantime, another assault group attempted to secure Musca II on the western edge of human space to use as a forward outpost, but the cruiser-based defenders overwhelmed the dreadnoughts, destroying all 6 despite the heavy losses. On the other side, a fourth assault group retook Baltar II and moved on to reclaim more lost territory. With the Zuul redeploying to the main front in a futile attempt to catch Admiral Bernard’s group there was very little they could do to protect themselves. It’s hoped that the Fourth Fleet can re-secure the East Sector before the Zuul recover from the main attacks.

While the military struck everywhere the shipyards worked night and day, churning out dreadnoughts, support ships, and freighters as quickly as they can. Unfortunately, the new dreadnought designs are quite complicated, limiting the number that can be built: only 4 were ordered, but they were combined with a new missile group, 7 freighters, and a trio of colony ships.

Turn 225
Admiral Bernard’s fleet struck Octans, wiping out another Zuul colony, 3 cruisers and 4 satellites at the cost of 3 dreadnoughts. Emerson struck the enemy at Hesperus, catching up with the first group in an attempt to take some heat off of Bernard. Losing five of his aging dreadnoughts, Emerson succeeded in thinning the Zuul’s numbers a bit more, taking a dreadnought and 9 cruisers with them. At the same time the shipyards began working on another dreadnought and a new missile group.

“And that’s where we’re at right now.” LEIA finished with. “One of Emerson’s salvage ships picked up a piece of Zuul tech while they were at Hesperus. We’re working on it now.” she smirked. “They’re calling it The Frederson Project.”

Kunitz chuckled. “The man has an ego, doesn’t he?” Before he could say more the priority channel beeped for his attention. “Yes?”

A pale enlisted tech appeared on the screen. “Governor, we’re receiving a distress call from Procyon II. They have a Zuul armada heading straight for them!”

The jovial mood in the office died a quick death. Procyon II was their last outpost in the East Sector. If it fell, there was nothing between the Zuul and the new colonies. Or Lupus. And there was nothing there except for a single dreadnought and a scoutship while the Fourth Fleet wouldn’t be able to get there in time.

“Evacuate the colony.” LEIA announced.

“What?” Kunitz turned from the screen in surprise. “But we can’t just give them the system!”

“They’re going to take it no matter what we do Governor.” LEIA pulled up a map of their territory. “Just like with our fleets we need to know when to pull back. We can send the new ships to one of the new colonies as a new defensive group or to regroup to take it back. We need as many ships as we can get.”

Kunitz sat there for a moment, thinking it over. Finally, he turned back to the screen. “Send the order to evacuate. Let me know when the Zuul arrive.”

Days later, Kunitz was in the situation room with the rest of his staff and LEIA shimmered on the main table. “We still have several thousand people on Procyon II Governor.” the military chief of staff said. “There’re enough ships in system, but it’ll be at least another hour before they can depart.”

“Then tell the Courageous to cover their escape as long as they can.” Kunitz ordered, sparing a glance at LEIA. He understood the need to pull the dreadnought out, but he (and the ship’s captain) insisted that they be the last ship out of the system.

For another hour the staff oversaw the final evacuations. The Courageous transmitted their sensor telemetry, but so far the screens have only shown the civilian transports. Then it happened.

“Subspace disturbance, 500,000 kilometers away.” Someone on the ship’s bridge announced. “Nodepoint forming...Zuul dreadnoughts exiting nodespace!” Large red blips appeared on the screen.

Kunitz hit a button. “Show me.” The screen changed to a visual feed: the red-rimmed disc of a Zuul nodepoint spat out dreadnought after dreadnought, the ships organizing into a staggered line before moving towards the colony. Civilian ships scattered, running for whatever nodepoint they thought they could reach.

“250,000 kilometers to weapons range.” Out of nowhere, the screen filled with static coupled with some hiss on the audio channel.

“What the hell is that?” Kunitz asked. “Some sort of jamming signal?”

LEIA flickered, a sign that she was working on something furiously. “No....the interference isn’t coming from Procyon II...” She flickered some more. “This is interesting, it’s similar to the frequencies and encoding the Zuul use, but it’s different, more refined...”

“Figure it out later LEIA.” Kunitz growled. “Can you filter it out?”

“Already am.” LEIA smiled and the picture cleared up.

“...-peat, are you seeing this Control?” It was the captain’s voice.

“What in the name of...” the chief of staff blurted.

On the screen, the nodepoint had reformed, and the Zuul were running away. “Where are they going?”

In front of the massive window, the creature watched as the black of space was replaced with the swirling blues of Nodespace. Once considered a beautiful specimen of her race, nuclear fire had mutilated her beyond recognition. It was only through sheer force of will that she survived long enough to be found by those who came to reclaim the planet the humans had tried to deny them. Now her skin was either scarred or replaced with skin and fur similar to the ones that served her. Punchclaws had been added to her forearms, extending out nearly half a meter whenever she wanted. Her legs had been almost completely replaced, the claws on her feet as potent a weapon as any animal’s and her size even more imposing. One eye was new, providing her with better vision.

Eurix inhaled deeply, feeling the emanations of Nodespace. “Why did we not destroy the humans and claim slaves?” her inferior asked.

“Because He is coming,” she answered, a grin forming on the small snout she had been given, showing her new fangs. “and we are the ones honored to meet Him when he arrives. Their time will come soon, and they will wish that they had submitted willing when they see what He is capable of....”

Deep in the core an empty portion of space shimmered, an orange ball of energy forming under a blood-red net of crackling arcs. In seconds something appeared inside, something monstrous....

State of the Mission

Notes
Well, this wasn't how I had hoped to end this TAR, but sadly it appears that a 350 star map is beyond the limits of my computer. I managed to get through those 5 turns and ran into all sorts of trouble. Turns took forever to process, and every battle nearly ended in a mars dump (2 battles actually did) when it tried to get the strategy screen back up. And while it turned out the "calvary charge" I did was working I'm not sure how much longer it would've been able to go on. Worse, my allies were falling apart: the Morrigi were down to 1 planet, the Tarka were collapsing, and the Hivers were under siege. I don't see how I could've won this one, the Zuul controlled half the galaxy and had me completely outclassed in every department (I took a peek at the 3, two of them already had the entire tree researched and were amassing millions of credits despite all the building they were doing).

Now I did inherit a better computer recently, so if I can get SotS working on it (I had to put up a thing about it in the tech help section since the computer is being uncooperative) and if it turns out that that computer can handle this map I'll redo this post as my standard 10-turn and continue on until the bitter end. If I can't, I'll get started on the next TAR, hopefully by the end of the week.

Thanks for being patient with me as my posting gaps got bigger and bigger, I don't like leaving people hanging. Hopefully The Antiquarians won't cause so many issues with my hardware. ;)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Good luck with your new computer. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 am

This is a bit late for this game, but if you start with allies, maybe you should let some of them with low HRs become citizens and give you more tax money.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:01 pm

you will continue this TAR?, i will love to see how it progress and your final victory over the Zuul :)

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 pm

The_Unificator wrote:you will continue this TAR?, i will love to see how it progress and your final victory over the Zuul :)

Sadly it's looking like I won't be able to. The old computer couldn't handle the massive map any longer, and the "unusual" file system of Vista is making it hard to figure out how to transfer the save file to the new computer.

However, I have started up the next game I'll use for a TAR. It's a little different from my usual kind of game and the flavor's probably going to be a bit different, but I will be starting a new one shortly.

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:52 pm

silvermoon383 wrote:
The_Unificator wrote:you will continue this TAR?, i will love to see how it progress and your final victory over the Zuul :)

Sadly it's looking like I won't be able to. The old computer couldn't handle the massive map any longer, and the "unusual" file system of Vista is making it hard to figure out how to transfer the save file to the new computer.

However, I have started up the next game I'll use for a TAR. It's a little different from my usual kind of game and the flavor's probably going to be a bit different, but I will be starting a new one shortly.

oh that is sad, but just a question ¿why are you using Vista and not the good old XP or Win7? those are fantastic OS and dont cause problems with the saves, or at least i didnt experience any, i have used XP and now i move on to a Win7 Home Premium and :any: works fine, i have a quite old machine, an AMD Athlon 64 single core with 2G of RAM and a Geforce 6150 as Video Card

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm

I tried using XP on my new computer after wiping it (it was a hand-me-down), but the manufacturer never provided the drivers on a disc, nor do they provide them for XP over the Internet either. Since I don't have a copy of 7 I had to wipe it again and use the Vista disc the computer also came with.

SotS works just fine on it now, but Vista's file system doesn't seem to want to let me transfer save and profile files over to it. Needless to say, the fact that it's taken me days to get the computer up and running, and despite all that effort it still acts weird (another game crashes if I go into 2 areas) reminded me why I prefer Macs so much. XD

Return to “T.A.R.”