RBSotS1 SG3a

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

RBSotS1 SG3a

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Ground rules:
48 hours per turnset as a general guideline; please ask for a swap or a skip if you can't take your turns in that time. 20 turns for the first player (you get to choose player order), 10 thereafter. Prior to starting players may swap between games, but preferably not during play.

Players: (Edit for current rotation)
ssmagus
IntrospectiveSpy
Torezu
Spellman
Sir Crashalot

Save file is here.

Here's my hint: Better get moving quickly; you may not have much time. :twisted:
It's time to get exploring and expanding, so you can exploit and exterminate!
Last edited by ZedF on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

IntrospectiveSpy

Re: RBSotS1 SG3a

Post by IntrospectiveSpy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 am

Because I am still trying to shove the save file into my game to play it (oh windows 7, you are such a joy), and I don't think I'm the best person to start a a species like the liir, I would like to place myself anywhere after the first person.
Proud member of the Legion of Crazy People!

IntrospectiveSpy

Post by IntrospectiveSpy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:39 am

Hooray!! Just got it!

1. Oh dear, given the random names all over the board, we got Zuul, and we got a lot of them.

2. Making my own guess at what we got I think we should either go for light emitters (might help with any unexpected surprises) or suspended animation (to give our starting colonies a boost).

3. Given that we were gifted with recombinant fissionables, we should strap that onto our ER design and build as many as we can without breaking the bank (I think 4 or 5?)

4. The resources on our secondary world are iffy (about 3,500) but I'm not entirely sure how we should deal with that.

5. I'm not sure what to put here, but 5 seems like a round number so here it is anyway!

Spellman

Post by Spellman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 am

IntrospectiveSpy wrote:Because I am still trying to shove the save file into my game to play it (oh windows 7, you are such a joy), and I don't think I'm the best person to start a a species like the liir, I would like to place myself anywhere after the first person.

Really? My Windows 7 install just has a SavedGames folder I drop the file into.

Taking a look at our starting tech, we got some nice ones. Mines can wreak havoc on the AI, and starting with Waldo Units is a pretty nice edge.

Personally I'm a big fan of colonization tech early, but definitely should be looking at some kind of firepower in our first 2 or 3 techs.

Thank god PD is in our tech tree. :thumbsup:

Basic thoughts on techs: we're the most likely of all the races to get all the genetic techs, including the plagues. We're also solid on Lasers, Emitters, Shields, and pretty hot stuff for the later beam weapons. Projectors and Cannons are also our specialties, and there's nothing quite like "oh gods emitters everywhere" if your ships can get close enough to the enemy. However, we are abysmal at armor, and our ships are pretty darn fragile. So, glass cannons. Nimble glass cannons. With shields eventually.

On the actual game fronts... I have no idea. Looking around we have NO SHIPS. But it looks like we can easily reach most of the planets with Tankers and ER ships.

I'll let someone actually competent take the first turn.

IntrospectiveSpy

Post by IntrospectiveSpy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 am

Spellman wrote:Really? My Windows 7 install just has a SavedGames folder I drop the file into.

Taking a look at our starting tech, we got some nice ones. Mines can wreak havoc on the AI, and starting with Waldo Units is a pretty nice edge.

Personally I'm a big fan of colonization tech early, but definitely should be looking at some kind of firepower in our first 2 or 3 techs.

Thank god PD is in our tech tree. :thumbsup:

Basic thoughts on techs: we're the most likely of all the races to get all the genetic techs, including the plagues. We're also solid on Lasers, Emitters, Shields, and pretty hot stuff for the later beam weapons. Projectors and Cannons are also our specialties, and there's nothing quite like "oh gods emitters everywhere" if your ships can get close enough to the enemy. However, we are abysmal at armor, and our ships are pretty darn fragile. So, glass cannons. Nimble glass cannons. With shields eventually.

On the actual game fronts... I have no idea. Looking around we have NO SHIPS. But it looks like we can easily reach most of the planets with Tankers and ER ships.

I'll let someone actually competent take the first turn.

I actually saw that file, but I didn't know if it automatically linked to the game or not.

Perhaps we should focus on churning out a few recombinant ERs from our homeworld while the second colony makes a few tankers to follow some?

As for tech, I'm also thinking we should focus on SA before we get emitters.

Spellman

Post by Spellman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:20 am

Oh, one other thing. We should try to intersperse noobs w/ competent people so that we don't have a run of incompetence to dig us a hole of doom.

I've played from start to finish about 2-3 games, none were Liir. Although I did enjoy squashing them one with mass drivers and missiles. A few Hiver CRs can lay waste to Liir DE with no problem if they don't have shields yet, especially if you out-range them. So, I'd mark myself as still fairly newb.

Oh, and I forgot to mention emitters can act as PD in a pinch, so if we run up that tree we can put off PD for a while. Although I have no idea what kind of missile spam we'll be seeing and I don't think we'll be assaulting massive planets for a while.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:22 am

I'm not extremely competent, but I could take first turns anyway. I'm brave and stupid.

If that's okay with everyone, I'll stop every few turns to get input over the next couple days. If not, let me know. :)

Fyi, I'm on GMT -7

IntrospectiveSpy

Post by IntrospectiveSpy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:26 am

Not trying to shoot you down, but shouldn't we wait for the other two to get their input?

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:33 am

Absolutely. :)

Feel free to shoot me down, as I'm very new to the forums. I have played a couple dozen games through, though.

I vote for SA -> Cybernetic Interface -> Orbital Foundries (check for Polysilicate link (edit: and cheaper ships)) -> Battle Comps -> Light Emitters, unless we run into Zuul real soon. Edit: Then get battle comps and light emitters before foundries.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 am

Okay, so I feel kind of selfish asking to play the first set - anyone that would like to is welcome.

I also was bragging about skill, when I can't even fight hard computers reliably yet, on otherwise normal settings in a medium-sized map. :?

My excuse is that I want to get started, and I'm not a patient person. So there. :)

Spellman

Post by Spellman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:48 am

Oh, that's useful.

I'm GMT-7 too. Yay daylight savings. Although since this isn't MP, lining up timezones isn't too problematic.

That tech path sounds good, but obviously we'll play some stuff by ear as we explore.

ssmagus is awaiting forum access I think. Dunno where haphazard1 went.

haphazard1

Post by haphazard1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:08 am

Checking in, I got swamped by work and have not had a chance to check the save yet. :(

It sounds like we have some nice starting techs. Do we have anything beyond the initial red lasers/gauss for weaponry? Lots of Zuul and ZedF implying we are going to be facing rivals early sounds like we need to get some stronger weaponry early, probably within the first 2-3 techs.

Presumably we need to start with a couple groups of ERs for initial scouting so we can learn just what is lurking out there. I am not sure if we want RF on this first batch as it will increase the cost per ship quite a bit. We should get something like 24 LY range on a basic fission ER, which is more than enough for checking the nearby systems. And here at the start we need quantity more than we need a bit more range per ship.

Torezu, I have no problem with you playing the initial turns. I have only a few (literally about 3) games under my belt, so I certainly don't qualify as more experienced. :lol: Just keep us informed of what happens and maybe pause for team input if something really significant happens.

For tech, SA sounds good as we certainly hope to have some planets to colonize Real Soon. (We already have GeneMod?) After that maybe Light Emitters for some offensive punch, especially if we run into swarm anywhere. Cybernetic Interface is also a good early choice to buff our economy.

IntrospectiveSpy, I am not sure what you meant about our colony world's resources? We could always wish for more, but just having an extra world is such a big plus I wouldn't want to complain. Unless all the AIs have three or four colony worlds, of course. :lol: And if we end up facing a bunch of Zuul (or worse a rabid Zuulmass :shock: ) then that many resources may seem like paradise.

ssmagus

Post by ssmagus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Checking in. About starting techs... Their on a fixed list.(it's on the wiki somewhere.)
Experience? about 200 games.
All Zuul? We need to try and get fusion and cruisers before turn 70, so that is gonna be the first target.(imo)

Edit: Just looked at the save, I think the best tech path is Cyber=Expert=SA=OF=LE=BC for now.(change if you need)(we have enough research to pull it off before turn 30)

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Tech path looks good, unless we find a couple good worlds in the first scouting group, then maybe SA after CI.

ssmagus, would you like to go first, since you seem to have the most experience? Or do you want to go third or fourth as a corrective measure after the first couple noobs (including me) start to botch it?

Spellman

Post by Spellman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:11 pm

haphazard1 wrote:It sounds like we have some nice starting techs. Do we have anything beyond the initial red lasers/gauss for weaponry? Lots of Zuul and ZedF implying we are going to be facing rivals early sounds like we need to get some stronger weaponry early, probably within the first 2-3 techs.

ssmagus wrote:About starting techs... Their on a fixed list.(it's on the wiki somewhere.)

Actually, we start with a few techs up than normal. Specifically Gene Modification, Waldo, Green lasers, VRF Tech (revealing PD), Recomb Fission, and Nuclear Mines are the ones I remember (don't have the save open). So we managed to roll about the 9th level of extra starting tech according to this page: http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Technology

I have no idea if our opponents also have their own set of bonus starting techs (i.e. we're around tech parity right now). I would presume so since we're about equal in terms of difficulty with a surprise thrown in somewhere.

All of our ships start with Green Lasers equipped in their design. So for our non-combatant ones we may want to decrease that to save some money early. I mean seriously, how well do you expect a tanker to put up a fight?

Return to “T.A.R.”