RBSotS1 SG7

Tactics and Action Reports.
Summoner

Re: RBSotS1 SG7

Post by Summoner » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:11 am

At this point I think better weapons needs to be a research priority. For unlock checking: Heavy drivers to see if we lucked out on neutronium. Fusion cannon for a shot at unlocking those weapons. IF we stay with Lancers as primary aramament, small scale fusion drives and (hopefully) ionic thrusters to improve turn rates. Probably fusion torpedos since we're stuck with a few mounts for them no matter what we do.

On the econ side terraforming bacteria's still out there and cheap, and incorporate hiver would let us start growing our civ pops again. It's a bit more expensive, but I think graviational adaption will let us settle one currently empty dustball.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:38 am

Summoner wrote:At this point I think better weapons needs to be a research priority. For unlock checking: Heavy drivers to see if we lucked out on neutronium. Fusion cannon for a shot at unlocking those weapons. IF we stay with Lancers as primary aramament, small scale fusion drives and (hopefully) ionic thrusters to improve turn rates. Probably fusion torpedos since we're stuck with a few mounts for them no matter what we do.

I'd rather either try for the Photonics line - Kelvinic Torps are very nice force-multipliers with a long range, and Mesonic Torps have the second-best range in the game (third if you count Siege Drivers) - or see if we got Pulsar Torps after researching EMPulsars. After using the direct-fire variants, I'm much less of a fan of tracking torpedoes. Admittedly, AM Torps do a nice chunk of damage, but they're easily taken out by Interceptor Missiles.

Speaking of Interceptor Missiles, I think we might want to try for those as well. The Liir are starting to use Fusion Torps themselves, and they hurt. Until we get Phaser PD, they're hard to shoot down when they come in large packs. Although I suppose Disruptor or Deflector Shields would help there.

I agree on HD to check for Neutronium (only a 30% chance, though). On the other hand, there's always Phasers if we don't have the ammo upgrade, since QCaps are almost a lock for us.

On the econ side terraforming bacteria's still out there and cheap, and incorporate hiver would let us start growing our civ pops again. It's a bit more expensive, but I think graviational adaption will let us settle one currently empty dustball.

Aha. Didn't realize GA was guaranteed for Morrigi if you get ET until just now, nice. That'll help with terraforming and pop growth when we take more Liir worlds. TB would be good as well. We might also want to look at the biowar line - not for use, but for the cures. Liir really like bioweapons.

Wouldn't we need Proliferate Hiver to actually attract Hiver populations? Admittedly if we take over any Hiver colonies which are sadly lost to the enemies, we could get those civvies with just Incorporate Hiver. A general push for third-tier xeno for all races might be in order, although that's 95k RP for Liir and 70k for Tarkas, plus 30k for Incorporate Hiver.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:22 am

Question, I've seen you guys move old DE freighters around in fleets. Not sure why? I always just scuttle them in the trade sectors. Is the idea to scuttle them over planets for the I/O bonus? I'm not sure the benefit we get out of it weighs up to the extra turns of upkeep, especially given the extra micro involved and the fact that we don't have Zero-G Deconstruction.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 am

BTAxis wrote:Question, I've seen you guys move old DE freighters around in fleets. Not sure why? I always just scuttle them in the trade sectors. Is the idea to scuttle them over planets for the I/O bonus? I'm not sure the benefit we get out of it weighs up to the extra turns of upkeep, especially given the extra micro involved and the fact that we don't have Zero-G Deconstruction.

That's why I've been doing it; never did the math to validate it though.

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Turn 140
It seems I'm set up to fight a number of battles I can win easily. Our frontiers look rather vulnerable though, so I'm going to want to work on reinforcing them. I decide to grow a new assault fleet at Lefkandi, with reinforcements coming in from Kao'Vaanu. The Core Defense should be able to grok whatever the Liir throw at it for a while, though I may want to add in a brawler APD DN later, because point disruptors would cut our performance considerably otherwise.

I start up the special project and dial research to 1 turn.

Turn 141
Rizketep: The Liir CRs chasing our scout are vaporized.
Kao'Vaanu: Interesting:
I didn't know fleets could start sandwiched like this. Anyway, all enemy DNs die a fiery death under our beams.
Taosi: Damn, this one took a long time to load. So many ships. Between them, our allies brought 210 ships, mostly DEs. For some reason our fleet here has ONLY beam cruisers. Don't forget to mix in melee ships as well, people! Despite this, I manage to destroy the first wave without losses, and by the time the second wave hits our allies have arrived on the scene. About half the enemy fleet is destroyed.
Deep space: The scout runs away. I don't know why we would try to save it, since it's not worth that much, but I don't want to trample on Starknight's efforts.

Iota Fleet X delivers its DN for the Core Defense, then returns to Lefkandi, where it will serve to bolster the new fleet being constructed there. Kao'Vaanu will produce reinforcements for the Core Defense on site as needed.

Atmospheric Adaptation completes on schedule. Starting up Heavy Drivers, because I've seen interest in Neutronium Rounds among us. I will run it to 50% in one turn, then slow it down a bit to finance ships.

Orange hiver fails to assault Xhokola, but he at least survives to scout the planet. Berkhe is in attendance with a lot of DEs. We should really claim the rest of his lands as soon as we get a bit of breathing room.
Another two CRs are intercepting our lone scout.

Turn 142
Kao'Vaanu: I auto the remaining two CRs. They are of no concern to us.
Taosi: The second half of the Tarka fleet is flattened.
Deep space: The scout bravely turns his tail and flees.
Red hiver splats against Muuno, Tyzek'to defended against a Tarka invasion of 24 CRs.

The Third Fleet will remain at Taosi for another turn, as this is the only place it can receive reinforcements (other than Choprekis), and I should be able to get it back to Thives in time, now that we have decent sensor coverage. I'm trying to pad it with DEs for speed, and the support fleet needs another turn to arrive anyway. After that it will head back to Thives, as it is currently completely undefended.
Meanwhile fleet construction continues at Lefkandi. This fleet will be mainly an assault-and-take fleet, so it needs some biomes, APD bombers and plenty of support. It will of course be led by a DN CnC, with a CR CnC as an emergency reserve.

Heavy Drivers is at 52%, dialing back to cheapest 2.

Turns out the scout we were trying to save is out of fuel. I'm not planning to commit First Fusion to its rescue, so consider it lost.
First Fusion will be upgraded to a DN CnC at Rizketep. This will take 2 turns. Once that is done I plan to strike one of the Liir worlds near Mo'noshu, to keep the pressure on the enemy.

Turn 143
Deep space: I give up on the scout.

Fleet building continues. Third Fleet returns to Thives.
The trade ferry collects a few dozen more freighters and moves to the next sector.

Turn 144
No combats.

First Fusion has its DN CnC. Its speed is now over 10, and I launch it to Shonobu, which is now only 2 turns away. Shonobu has next to no defenses, so I should be able to strike hard before reinforcements come in.
The Core Defense fleet now has a wing of APMD battlecruisers to complement the heavy beams.
Epsilon Fleet X, a fleet hanging in space next to a scout, is being intercepted by 20 Tarka ships. It contains a bunch of fission era support ships I don't fancy losing (better for us to scuttle them), so I retreat it to Tikala. Third Fleet will assist.

Terraforming on Mo'noshu is done, and pop is at 10M. Infra due in 2 turns. We will soon be able to construct ships here.

Heavy Drivers is overbudget at 102%, bleh. Dialing up a little to make sure it finishes next turn.

Turn 145
No combats, other than raiders hitting red Hiver.

Epsilon Fleet X arrives at Tikala. This is where I realize Tikala has no VN garrison, so I queue one up. Third Fleet will NOT be joining the battle in 2 turns, because Thives has 9 blue Liir ships incoming in 3 turns. I'm going to have to hope our hiver friends will come through for us at Tikala.
There's also a Tarka ship 5 turns out from Taosi. I'm not too impressed.

Heavy Drivers is STILL overbudget. I thought I'd turned it up enough, but it's at 143%. Bleh.

Turn 146
Shonobu: First Fleet vs 2 DE defenders. Fight!
I'm not sure I like what the Liir have done to the place though:
First Fleet wins. 800,000,000 fatalities.

Heavy Drivers is in, but sadly we did not roll Neutronium Rounds. However, I can at least design the APD Armor DN I was meaning to build now.
For my next research I'm going for Fusion Cannon, setting it to cheapest 2. We will need to replace APMD as a medium slot weapon at some point, and between Phasers and Fusion Cannons, the latter is clearly the better weapon. I'm hoping that once we hit AM, we can build AM Cannon + Point Deflector DNs, which would be dramatically effective against the Liir.

Infra is done on Mo'noshu. I start up a batch of APD battlecruisers for First Fusion, as that fleet has too few melee ships for my liking. It will also need more biomes soon, but Mo'noshu can't provide those.

Third fleet refuels at Thives and intercepts the Liir fleet. I don't want to risk fighting in orbit, as I expect DNs.

Turn 147
Deep space: We face 4 DNs and 5 CRs. Of the DNs, 2 are CnC and 2 are support. They hover in front of our fleet, unsure what to do about it. Our fleet responds by demolishing them. In the end, a single enemy CR survives by merit of having fled.

I send Third Fleet to Tikala, where it will arrive one turn late to deal with the incoming Tarka. Our Hiver friends don't seem to be too interested in defending us there, so I may have to lead the enemy on a chase for a turn.
First Fusion, having settled Shonobu, departs for Luurwuni. It's a 1 turn trip so we may start on the opposite side of the planet, and now that we have a DN sized fleet we should be able to destroy the opposition there.
Elsewhere, Berkhe sends 74 DEs and 7 CRs to Taosi. The Hivers are massing there too, though, so we should be fine.

And then this:
The closest two worlds to Itot'ex are ours, so we should expect a visit soon. Not good. We're not geared up to fight it at the moment. Going to need torps or corrosive missiles.

Turn 148
Luurwuni: First Fusion has an unobstructed path to the planet. I assign one battlecruiser to snipe down the sats as they rotate by, the rest of the ships proceed to cook the inhabitants below. The combat timer is not quite enough to wipe out all the inhabitants though as Luurwuni is a size 5, but the damage is done.

Turns out I designed the APD DN with the wrong engine. Damn and blast. Second Fusion departs without one, as I don't want to slow it down. The DN goes to join the Core Defense, which doesn't need to move much anyway. Choprekis will build the correct design.
The Tarka fleet coming at Tikala has vanished. This is unexpected, but I turn the Third Fleet back around at Thives anyway.

Fusion Cannon is in on schedule. Next up is Corrosive Missile, to deal with that Puppet Master.

Turn 149
Thives: That lone CR that survived my intercept on T147 arrives. The Third Fleet is waiting for it and destroys it.
Taosi: The Hivers managed to gate in 96 CRs in our defense. Each. Orange Hiver has an additional 128 DEs. Add to that Berkhe's 80+ ships and we're looking at 400 ships. Not doing that. Auto. We lose 2 DEs and a battlecruiser, but all enemies are destroyed and the planet takes no hits.
Luurwuni: First Fusion industriously turns the Liir ships here into small pieces of Liir ships. 38 out of 41 ships dealt with.
Itot'ex: Er... It appears the Hivers have destroyed the Puppet Master in auto. Huh. Oh well, I'll finish the research anyway.

Freighter Ferry runs out of fuel 50cm out from Lefkandi. Sending the tankers there to assist.

The Third Fleet is dispatched to Xhokola, which should be a pushover right about now. It will arrive in 2 turns.

Turn 150
Taosi: The lone Tarka CR arrives and is killed.
Luurwuni: The remainder of the Liir forces are destroyed in auto.

Biome on descent at Luurwuni.

Final Thoughts
A fruitful turnset, I do think. I kept our borders safe from the incursions thrown at it and have claimed two more worlds for our empire (if you count Luurwuni). I have also brought another strike fleet to full strength.

Second Fusion will arrive at Choprekis in 1 turn, which is also when the APD DN will finish there. The fleet should be adequately equipped to take the fight to the enemy on the counter-clockwise front.

I have not set a new research project, but I recommend going for Combat Algorithms and Holographic Tactics next.
Weapons research isn't very meaningful at this point as we have Fusion Cannon, APD and Lancers, and Phasers isn't interesting until we get AM. Having more CPs in battle will help us much more. I also don't think we should research xenotech. Yes, it will give us civilians from conquered worlds, but do we really need that to the point of spending 6 turns (bare minimum) on Liir and Tarka xenotech? I say no. I believe we are now over the hump, so newly conquered territory doesn't need to be optimized for economic efficiency. Similarly, getting Gravitational Adaptation just to claim that dustball isn't worth it in my view.
After the aforementioned CP techs we can digress toward Gravity Control for a sizeable I/O boost, but otherwise there's nothing in the tree I want before AM.

Oh, forgot to mention, the special project completed. It was Plasma Focusing. Meh.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:46 pm

The grand menace thing... what sort of GM is it? The puppetmaster? That may kind of be a problem...

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Zalzidrax wrote:The grand menace thing... what sort of GM is it? The puppetmaster? That may kind of be a problem...

Yeah, I saw it coming in but forgot to write it up. :oops:

However, it appears the Hivers took care of it on turn 149.
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:34 am

BTAxis wrote:Deep space: The scout runs away. I don't know why we would try to save it, since it's not worth that much, but I don't want to trample on Starknight's efforts.

I had two DS interceptions going on and I couldn't tell them apart on the battle screen. Otherwise I would have let the one die, since it didn't have the fuel to get home. The one leading ships to Rizketep was worth saving just to mousetrap those cruisers, though. :)

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:22 am

Yeah, though oddly enough the Tarka interceptor arrived a turn later than the Liir ones. Anyway, we got a couple of scouts going out to unscanned territory, we'll see how far they get.

Zalzidrax is up, I believe.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Hmm, my turn coming up seems to have a high correlation with having an insane amount of classwork - I'll have to at least delay here a couple days, so if the person after me is itching for some action, go for it.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Zalzidrax wrote:Hmm, my turn coming up seems to have a high correlation with having an insane amount of classwork - I'll have to at least delay here a couple days, so if the person after me is itching for some action, go for it.

I guess I'm up then. Probably half tonight/half tomorrow night.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:20 am

150: Since a lot of our fleet is built around blazers, ionic thrusters 25% turning boost seems to be worth two turns of research before pounding down anything else. Begin building a 2nd DN fleet to start working on the Liir. Hopefully I'll get ti built soon enough to kill something with it before my turnset ends.

Xhokola: Purple Morrigi attempt to defend with 20 DE, 2 CR, 1 DE sat. 3 of the DE manage to survive, but none of the imperials are left.

151: Small scale fusion engines go over budget.

Freighter ferry fleet's fission DEs and the DE freighters are scuttled at Lefkandi (65 DE total).

Second Fusion links with reinforcements, and moves forward to Thives, and will continue to the Tarka world of Kor'Hakaan the fallowing turn.

IT: Red Hiver gate fleet splats against Ke'Welkor.

152: The surviving Morigi fleet Xhokola allowing me to colonize it unopposed this turn.

Small Scale Fusion Drive complete. Start Ionic Thrusters.

Light Blue Liir launch 24 CR attack fleet at Rizketep. By stealing a few DE I built as scouts, Core Defense is able to get there in two turns to give them a warm welcome.

IT: Second Fusion attacks Kor'Hakaan. Defenders have 20 sats, 4 DE and 6 CR. Defender fleet and colonists are wiped out. Several sats remain for next turn.

153: Ionic thrusters go over too. ARGH!

IT: Rizketep: Hivers collectively bring 61CR to support our defense. Wiped for zero friendly losses.

Kor'Hakaan: auto the sats.

154: Ionic thrusters complete; begin combat algorithms.

Several dark green tarka ships are incoming for Luurwuni; but unless they have a lot more coming it's going to be a slaughter.

IT: Luurwuni: Colony attacked by 9 Tarka DEs. No losses.

Shonobu: VN attack. No losses.

155: Continue building ships for fleets on both flanks.

IT: nothing.

156: Third fleet is reinforced with fresh biomes and sorties for Nauplios, the last enemy Morrigi world on the outside of the ring. They'll arrive at the same time as their old friends; the three ships who escaped Xhokola.

IT: Kao'lotto: Forget to stop a scout short of an enemy planet; I manage to escape back into deep space. It's a size 8 world.

157: Second fusion sorties for Kor'Hakaan.

Stopping here for the night since I have 2 big battles to fight; will finish tomorrow.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:44 am

T157 - part 2: Reviewing the turn before hitting end I realize that I'd left Thives completely uncovered, and Xhokola with only a half built VN picket. Thives will have a red gate fleet in 2 turns, and doesn't appear to be the closest colony to any enemy worlds any longer. Hopefully that will keep any frisky AIs focused elsewher e. Xhokola is the closest planet to Ke'Groko which has the second largest stack of light green tarka ships; and while those ships are about to become very busy with only 3M imperials the planet's still fragile and 2 turns from anything I could send its way. I opt to detach a half dozen battle cruisers from 2nd Fusion just in case. If not needed I can always turn them around next turn to rejoin.

IT

Ke'Groko: 2nd fusion arrives to find 17 CR< 46 DE, and 16 sats defending. Most of the DEs here were freighters. After shooting up almost all the combatants I start killing them too. (18 combatants 3 DE freighters). This system is just a shooting gallery now. I took 30k of missile damage (40% of total); despite deploying and losing my pair of PD DEs to draw some of the fire. Net damage was a bit more than the 4 repair CRs could handle. Will need to get a few more out here before moving forward.

Nauplios: None detected, but I have a Dark Blue Liir Icon in the pre-battle report instead of the Morrigi I was expecting. Cloaks? No, Purple surrendered to te dark blue Liir. I kill the planet with a single sot; but apparently the Liir didn't research enough xenotech to keep any of the Morigi civs.

158. 1 down, 4 to go. :)

Combat algorithms is over budget too. I'm just not having any luck this turnset.

Looks like I was right to worry about Xhokola, 4 Tarka CR are inbound from Ke'Groke.

Nauplios will at least be a fast grower with 119 infra, and 0 CH. A few hundred million Civs would've been nice though. *sigh*

Thives is developed enough to begin serving as a shipyard for everything except Biomes; I order the extra repair ships that Second Fusion needs there.

With only 3k resources Tikala is hopeless for ship building so I start building freighters there. It has 2 routes now and should get one more once it gets a full set of civs.

I missed an oops on the other side of the map, and dispatched a reinforcement group intended to join with 4th fleet at Korfos a turn early. I can get the rest there in time, but will only have 2 DNs with the CNC fleet; which'll make for a messyish start to the battle.

Dark Green Tarka sends a 35 CR fleet at Luurwuni. They're 4 turns out so it won't be my problem; but First Fusion will have 3 DNs by that time and should be able to give a very warm welcome.

IT

Ke'Groko Defenders still have 4CR 41 DE (mostly freighters), and 15 sats. Killed everything except 1 scanner sat and 28 freighters. Will clean up via autoresolve next turn. We took much less damage; I lost 1 CR when lost track of it and it got swamped by planet missiles before i could retreat it.

Xhokola. I have 5 battle cruisers and a few odds and ends vs a 4 cruiser raiding force; but with only 7M imperials I don't have much margin of error. The battle was somewhat chaotic the first 2 CR attempted to run and the 2nd pair arrived between my BC and the planet; my gravboat was nearby and managed to distract them long enough for the rest of the fleet to turn around and finish them off though.

159: Combat algorithms complete. Start on holographic tactics.

Xhokola is off the front line now. I route the CRs that repulsed the attack on it to Kor'Hakaan via a pair of small Tarka DE fleets that shouldn't be allowed to spy on us.

Multiple small enemy fleets moving around this turn. A dark blue liir one iwth 8 unknowns heading for Tikala is the only potential concern; since they could be DN. No ETA either but from their distance I think they're 3 turns out. Third fleet is 2 turns away if we want to reinforce.

IT: Ke'Groko: Autoresolve to finish the freighters off.

Shonobu: Raided by 7DE. We have 8CR waiting for them. *splat*

Korfos: 4th fleet is attacking Dark Green Tarka; they've got more here than I was expecting. 15 DE, 44CR, 20 sats. I hid in asteroids to avoid missile fire from the sats and killed 15 enemy CR. Unfortunately I lost 2 of my 4 DN in the process. One literally on the last second of the battle.

Deep space: 7 of our CR vs 6 light green tarka: auto, no damage.

Deep space 2: Light green tarka intercepts our scout monitoring their HW. Tried to flee by nailed by missles.

T160.

I think we're going to have to withdraw from Korfos. IF whoever's next feels otherwise, you'll need to reorganize the fleet first.

Got another dark Dark Blue Liir fleet incoming. 18 ships: 7 DN, 11 CR. 3 turns out from Kor'Hakaan. As large as the incoming fleet is; only 2nd fusion is big enough to fight it, but they'd leave Ke'Groko uncovered when has incoming. Third fleets cruisers could be dispatched to cover it. I'm leaving this decision to the next player. Alternately we could just leave it uncolonized for a few turns.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:08 pm

I actually have some time to procrastinate for today at least. Anyone mind if I take my turn now?

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Zalzidrax wrote:I actually have some time to procrastinate for today at least. Anyone mind if I take my turn now?

Go for it, I'm trying to get a game of ][ going for longer than 40 turns. Some kind of weapons bug, I think; trying with a smaller map so fewer AI players. ;)

Return to “T.A.R.”