RBSotS1 SG7

Tactics and Action Reports.
Zalzidrax

Re: RBSotS1 SG7

Post by Zalzidrax » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:52 am

I say rush for lancers. If we're facing DNs, then we've got targets that deserve that much firepower. It'll take 8 turns minimum, so I'm not sure what there is to do besides try to swamp them in ships and pray until we can get bigger guns out.

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:23 am

As much as I dislike heavy beams, I'm forced to agree. The one thing they do work well against is DNs. We should probably expect a fairly awful ship trade even if we go that route though. 6 CRs against 3 DNs in a brawl is ugly no matter what you do.

Alternatively, we could look into torpedo kiting, maybe. But as Starknight said, DNs tend to prioritize planets, so we don't have the luxury of time in defensive engagements.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:49 pm

Lancers make more sense than heavy drivers. With at most 2 slots/ship we wouldn't really get much from the latter. If had war sections then they might be worth it with cruisers; but as it is until we have DNs we can't put enough heavy turrets in to make good use of them.

In contrast, lancers will come close to doubling the firepower on our blazer ships and give large boosts to the rest of them.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:57 pm

BTAxis wrote:As much as I dislike heavy beams, I'm forced to agree. The one thing they do work well against is DNs. We should probably expect a fairly awful ship trade even if we go that route though. 6 CRs against 3 DNs in a brawl is ugly no matter what you do.

Alternatively, we could look into torpedo kiting, maybe. But as Starknight said, DNs tend to prioritize planets, so we don't have the luxury of time in defensive engagements.

Most of our frontier is double gated at this point; so as long as we get some warning defensive brawls will probably be 18CR vs 3DN; not pretty but numbers should be on our side.

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Well, I was referring to actual combat. We can field 6 CRs at a time, the enemy 3 DNs. Yeah, the Hivers will be there, but will they arrive in a timely fashion? Wouldn't count on it. Outnumber bonus and research into CPs will help in that area, of course.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Starknight wrote:
BTAxis wrote:Turn 100
EDIT: And having read through the whole thing now... WTH? How does he manage to have DNs and Armada CNC by turn 100, so he has time to build and ship those out? I know everyone had an advanced start, but still... that's pretty amazing.

I'm wondering if it might have been skimping on weapons. I'm looking again at the results from thives; and while we unfortunately don't get to see any of the shots that killed the planets; I have noticed that the only weapons to do damage are UV lasers and missles; and that except for the UVs they could all have been weapons from our ships. Do weapons that never fire at all end up in the combat report? If so, we know they did it by ignoring offensive weapons almost entirely. If not, with a range of 850 UV lasers have the same or lessor range than almost all fusion era weapons except the fusion projector, which would again imply they're lacking most of the better weapons.

It's too bad BT didn't manually fight at Kao'Vanu; with 2 hiver fleets in the mix as well guessing who was using what from the combat results is almost impossible but a naked eye report of everything the Liir were using would've been worth the loss of some of the the obsolete DEs.

If they are using a mix of missiles and lasers we probably should switch the armor CR back to all PD (the current design has AP gauss drivers in most of its small slots), and probably grab reflective coating, and possibly the advanced version as well to optimize our ships for what we're going to be fighting.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:44 pm

BTAxis wrote:Cheda is up, unless he's still inconvenienced.

Cheda hasn't been online here since Thursday; if he's still swamped are you available Zalzidrax? If not I guess the turn will rotate around back to me.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Well I do have a lot to do, but I was going to put it off a little bit anyway, :P

Yeah I can go.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:54 am

The plan for this turn is simple: Get lancers, build fleets.

Turn 111: The reinforcement fleet arrives at Thives and puts up a valiant fight.

The Liir dreadnaughts, with the Liir fragility and missiles as their primary armament aren't exactly what you would call "brawlers" and our PD heavy fleet manages to do serious damage.

However, our lines are not deep and the fleet is unlikely be able to last another full round against the Liir. I decide to cede the ground to the Liir - for now. The fleet is ordered to retreat to Choprekis, which is building reinforcements at full speed.

Things are largely tense but quiet as the fleet returns to Choprekis and joins up with the four new cruisers there. The new Tengris are dedicated HCL ships - 8 fixed beams each - and should be quite effective against the relatively fragile Liir.

A stroke of good luck hits at turn 114 when the Teal front forge world of Rizkeptep is caught up in a passing meteor swarm. The combat fleet is more than adequate for blasting the dangerous rocks into useful rubble and the system gets 740 more resources.

Turn 116: Our fleet returns to Thives and find the Liir fleet waiting for them.

The focused fire of our heavy beams shreds their last command dreadnaught and the rest of their fleet is soon to follow. While a couple ships sustained enough damage to be forced to retreat, no Morrigi ship is a total loss.

Turn 118: Lancers finally come in, and it's time to upgrade our fleet designs and start building up fleets on both fronts. I also start deep scan research, though it is not a top priority at the moment.

Turn 120: 17 teal ships are inbound on one of Red's worlds, two turns out. Fortunately so is our fleet at Rizketep. We've got good cashflow and there are a few more biomes headed to Thives to accelerate the establishment of a colony there. I've started building new ships and fleets at border worlds. Things are generally looking pretty good. Good luck!
Last edited by Zalzidrax on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:54 am

Aaand the save file.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:28 am

I've got a few things I need to take care of first; but I should be able to play my turns tomorrow; maybe even start them tonight.

Since it appears most of our damage was due to enemy laser fire, after advanced sensors is complete I'm going to grab reflective coating. I'm leaning against spending 2 more for the advanced version though. After that I'm going to focus on getting DNs; but will probably only get about halfway there before my last turn.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:04 am

Well we were facing uv lasers, so I'd say it's improved reflective coating if we're going use it at all. Normal reflective coating isn't all that reliable against them.

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:26 am

Zalzidrax wrote:Well we were facing uv lasers, so I'd say it's improved reflective coating if we're going use it at all. Normal reflective coating isn't all that reliable against them.

hmmm. Need to think that one over a bit. Normal reflective coating adds 20-30k to the cost of each cruiser; improved would be 50-75k. I'm not sure if it's still worth it at a 35% jump in cost.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:47 am

Hmm, well on the defensive side of things, I don't think there's a better time to field disruptor shields than against a Liir A.I. opponent. I've never actually used them myself, though, so I can't vouch for their actual effectiveness. I imagine having a couple disruptor shielded ships in front could be really nice, though.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:23 am

It's like with Deflectors or Heavy Beams - it can take some micro to keep them from being as much a hindrance as a help, but when you do, they become a very big help. In our case, the micro would just be to make sure we're not trying to fire ship A's Lancers through ship B's Disruptor shield.

They'd be very effective against the Teal Liir - pretty sure he's only using energy weapons at this point. There's nothing like laughing at a Projector barrage. :) I'm not sure if Disruptors stop missiles, though; I know both Deflector and Disruptor shields stop torpedoes. (Well, Gluonic torps go through Deflectors but that's a special property of the weapon.)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Return to “T.A.R.”