RBSotS1 SG12

Tactics and Action Reports.
BlueTemplar

Re: RBSotS1 SG12

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 pm

ZedF wrote:Thanks Blue. :) It shouldn't be a problem to start a solo game using the same save, but it'd be preferable if you don't advertise the results of your game until the TAR team here has finished their run at it. After they are done, you can feel free to post your results if you wish.

Are you worried about me revealing spoilers, like what the yet undiscovered planets look like, or what weapons our opponents think about using later? If so I can either "spoiler" those parts (by writing them in text color of the forum background), or just wait to post them until they're not spoilers anymore...
I'd like to try to keep my game at a similar pace than yours, so that the discussions we might have would be more meaningful...

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:31 pm

What could be kind of fun is if you provide comparative statistics. For instance at specific turns like for instance 50 and 100 you compare your number of colonies, income, ships, etc versus what we have obtained in our SG game.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:56 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Are you worried about me revealing spoilers, like what the yet undiscovered planets look like, or what weapons our opponents think about using later?

Yes, I'd prefer to avoid spoilers as much as possible.
If so I can either "spoiler" those parts (by writing them in text color of the forum background), or just wait to post them until they're not spoilers anymore...

The latter is preferable and what my original suggestion was aimed at achieving. Any comparative discussions should be sure to avoid possible spoiler info, I feel.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:02 am

T70: Leave turn as is.

T71: Seny Pylos rip fleet to Nozokris. Eta 6 turns; hopefully we'll have better luck on that arm.

Begin landing colonists at Gotham.

T72: ...

IT: 3 morigi DE's intercept the ships retreating from Keo'Va. I open with a tanker bomb; inflicting enough damage to kill all 3 ships on their first pass of the fleet. They manage to kill one of the reproducers though.

T73: A hiver fleet is almost on top of the survivors; and I'm out of nasty surprises to spring.

IT: Make that 2 hiver fleets, one for each of ours; with our ships crippled from the last fight I just AR these.

T74: Start building a new bore ship at Talok to redig a few weakening internal lines. Nozokris has a hiver gate.

T75: ...

IT Nozokris: Hivers has 52 DE's waiting for us. No hiver colony; the planet is habitable for us; but I can't tell how good it is. I hoped to escape back the way I came; but couldn't spot the entry point. Just running away in normal space seemed to work fairly well since we're faster than the bugs; but I see 7 losses afterwards. I'm guessing they nailed one of the runners and then I had singletons dropping in back towards the planet while I was focused on the main group. The 7 stragglers manage to take 4 of the enemy with them; mostly via tanker bombs.

T77: ...

T78: Procyon fully terraformed.

T79: Send bore to redig Pylos to Kumixhos.

T80: ...

Final thoughts: Didn't make any real progress this turn set. Made one attempt to break out of out pocket and got bounced for my trouble. WIthout CNC we're kinda screwed trying to attack and that's still 36 turns out. I'm feeling more pessimistic than I was a week ago. GOtham's only improved from 6 terra/turn to 8; and the imperials count is <4400. I'm thinking we might need to send more colonists since it's really not budging and is eating nearly 40% of our budget at present.

T76

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 am

Turn 80

Broke, so I'll just let it stand. With just the two Rippers, there isn't much I can do about the fading node lines, or consider attacking Izakis. If I could attack both Izakis and Nozokris at the same time, I might be able to get one gate down.

The fleet at Pylos is there to defend it from Hivers???

Turn 82

Procyon is finished with Infrastructure, so I turn Overharvest down. I also queue up some Reproducers to throw at Gotham.

Turn 83

I guess it's good that there is a large fleet at Procyon, as a Swarm Queen will be arriving on turn 92.

Turn 85

And the Hivers will be coming to Procyon, too. Did I mention that it's good we have a big fleet there? I did.

Turn 86

With the node bore from the homeworld about to collapse, I queue up a Ripper and Pyro there.

Turn 87

And the Tarks will have an 8-ship fleet at Gotham the same turn the queen arrives at Procyon. I have no idea how to respond to this without losing Gotham, so I'm going to stop here.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:46 am

The best thing to do in my opinion is to send the two garrison ships at Talok to Gotham (and build a new garrison fleet at Talok to replace them). Then start to build ships at Gotham and put Ship Construction to 100%. That will give us another 3 or maybe 4 ships before the Liir arrive. Also do not use the incoming colonizers to colonize Gotham, as the only thing we have going for us in this fight is the number of ships. When they come try both AR and manual combat and go with the one that gives the best result.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:14 am

SotS Sucession Zuul game:

So, here's my take on this game :

BT's Before Start:

-We rolled : Dumbfire Racks, Deflectors (!), Recombinant Fissionables, Disruptor, Sniper Cannon.

Thanks to the DFR, a Warhead-intensive strategy should be very worthwhile in the long term, though due to economic constraints a rush to Fusion seems very unlikely. (Holy Crap, 331 turns for Fusion!!)
Deflectors are a nice safety if we don't roll PD, but their research cost is problematic in this situation.
Sniper Cannons are an easy way to exploit the AI, but are a dead-end, and since the AI will be that much stronger in the early game thanks to it's extra planets, we should expect it to reach CR relatively early (by which point Snipers lose a LOT of their effectiveness). (Same for Fusion : faster ships catching up with snipers).
- I might choose Plasma for medium early - it's harder to counter than Mass Drivers, does not need VRF to be effective, and is very useful to cleanse the enemy homeworlds without touching their 200% Infra (of course for that you also need PD if you don't want to lose several dozen CR in the process). Sadly I doubt Deflectors would work, since when firing at the planet, planetary missiles seem to arrive almost vertically (and I need Command for the 12 guns of Strafe anyway).

OK, since eco is so bad in this game, it looks like to me that slave harvesting is going to be very important. One reason is that even though the center of the map is very rich in planets, the player holding it can expect to be attacked by everyone else, and having a defense fleet too big will eat up too much of our poor economy. So, I'll probably be doing the "pre-BoB" Zuul tactic, "raiding the periphery for slaves and secrets".

Map : so, we're forced to go trough Talok to reach the rest of the galaxy... after that the closest planets are left and center, but a good opportunity might be to grab the planets on the right trough Marklar (periphery!), or otherwise we'll probably have to go trough some Liir worlds...
Top is a big gamble, as they're Hiver-named, and I'm not even sure to keep them from claiming new systems, much less get rid of an already deployed gate...

BTW, Liir on the right are a nice relatively easy target to snipers due to their slow combat speed, especially if they choose emitters rather than UV. We might also have an easier time in taking planets from them and holding them, due to their slowing near planets which makes them not likely to surprise us (too much).

So, plenty of hard decisions there, we'll see how the game evolves...

BT's Turn1 :
-- Send HW (Shamballa) rip bore to the 2nd planet (Volans).
-- Design and queue a tanker for the bore on the 2nd planet: 90.tanker.3.r
- 90 so that the fleet auto-sort puts it towards the end of the list.
- 3 for the speed.
- r for red lasers : IMHO they are better on tankers because of longer range than gauss : bad idea to send a tanker into close combat unless you specifically want it to blow up!
-- Set research to 100% (looks like there's going to be a lot of sprint-and-drift in this game, especially drift!) to Waldoes (it's cheap, improves the economy, and makes for better ships) : 21 turns, so Estimated Time to Completion 53 turns with (100% sprint until 50%, then 25% drift). Of course I'll probably get it much earlier due to breakthroughs and the extra planets I would have colonized...

BT's Turn 2 :
- Tanker built, merging with bore. This bore is going to go : Talok => Procyon => Gotham => Pylos => Kumixhos => Nozokris => Nauplios => Thives => Xhunhau
Hopefully, if I don't run into a Morrigi colony, I'll be able to prevent the Hivers placing gates near the Morrigi too easily by manning this line...

T3 : Nothing happening...
T4 : Nothing happening...
T5 : Nothing happening...

Turn 6 :
- Bore 2 arrives from homeworld
- bore 1 is 1 turn from Talok, so I build 1 tanker for the Bore 2 to send it away too.

T7: my bad, bore 1 was 2 turns away.

Here are the saves for the end of each turn:
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:29 am

ivra wrote:The best thing to do in my opinion is to send the two garrison ships at Talok to Gotham (and build a new garrison fleet at Talok to replace them). Then start to build ships at Gotham and put Ship Construction to 100%. That will give us another 3 or maybe 4 ships before the Liir arrive. Also do not use the incoming colonizers to colonize Gotham, as the only thing we have going for us in this fight is the number of ships. When they come try both AR and manual combat and go with the one that gives the best result.

I think you're up anyway ivra if you wanted to give that a try.

Alternatively if you don't think you would be interested, you can ask for a skip or a swap.
The offer to roll a new start is still on the table; alternatively I can save it for a revenge game if this one goes down in flames.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:41 pm

ZedF wrote:
ivra wrote:The best thing to do in my opinion is to send the two garrison ships at Talok to Gotham (and build a new garrison fleet at Talok to replace them). Then start to build ships at Gotham and put Ship Construction to 100%. That will give us another 3 or maybe 4 ships before the Liir arrive. Also do not use the incoming colonizers to colonize Gotham, as the only thing we have going for us in this fight is the number of ships. When they come try both AR and manual combat and go with the one that gives the best result.

I think you're up anyway ivra if you wanted to give that a try.

Alternatively if you don't think you would be interested, you can ask for a skip or a swap.
The offer to roll a new start is still on the table; alternatively I can save it for a revenge game if this one goes down in flames.

Me? I am waiting for Gryfalcon to complete the last 3 turns.

If you like, Gryfalcon, I can play 13 turns. But I got the impression that you stopped to get some advices before continuing with your remaining 3 turns. Please let me know what you prefer.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:07 pm

I'll let you play 13 turns.
Summer grasses:
imperial dreams - Basho

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:00 am

Turn 87
Going to try to save Gotham by sending the garrison fleet at Talok to it and by using the full OH to build light defense platforms for five turns at Gotham.

Turn 88
Research at 51%, turning it down to 1% since I started this turn with -150000.

Turn 89
Started this turn with -36000.

Fights
The rip bore fleet run into 99 hiver DEs at Keo'Va and was lost.

Turn 90
I am worried about the upcoming battle at Procyon so I am going to build 10 LDs there as well. That will bring the cash from +100000 to -115000.

Turn 91
Building 4 more ships at Procyon to have in the battle against the silicoid queen.

Fights
Defending Procyon from Silicoid Queen: AR. Victory. Lost only 7 ships and the queen was killed. This earned us 230000 in cash.
Defending Gotham from 8 Liir DEs. AR. With 10 LDs and 13 DEs against 8 Liir DEs it turned out to be an easy match. Lost only one colony ship.

Turn 92
With 350000 in cash it is time to turn up research again. I am now ordering the remaining colonizers to settle on Gotham to boost the growth.

Turn 93
Building some more colonizers for Gotham.

Turn 94
Building more ships at Procyon to greet the 4 hiver ships, in case they are cruisers.

Turn 95
I am trying to guess a suitable destination for r01 from Kumixhos, and selected the nearby system called Orxhmenos.

Fights
Defending Procyon: The 4 ships turned out to be destroyers. With 10 LDs and 30 DEs at Procyon I selected AR since I think that will give a better result. - Which turned out to be right. I lost no ships.

Turn 99
Hivers are going to going to Kumixhos again. But this time I am going to let him have it. The fleet r01 is going to run into 20 Tarkas ship anyway and die, so there is no reason to keep this line open.

Fights
Defeat at Orxhmenos: Just to let you know how far behind we are I am going to play this one. The Tarkas have cruisers and I spotted a DE CnC ship.

Turn 100
Good Luck, you are going to need it!!!

Save:
RBSotS1-SG12 T100.sav

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:00 am

T 100 I debate sending a fleet to Kumixhos immediately to intercept the hivers, but decide that getting 4 more combat ships was worth the hivers deploying their gate.

T 101 Some luck! Battle computers are in. I delay sending out the bore fleet to build a few CnC ships and send a worthy force. We're almost certainly heading trouble. With luck we might be able to be more trouble. I also queue up green lasers because it's cheap and we need firepower.

T 102 a well armed bore fleet sets out from Procyon, bound for Altair. Hopefully the hivers haven't gated it yet.

T 103 Victory at Kumixhos! The hivers will be one gate shorter, at least.

T 104 quiet, for now.

T 105 Slaver attack on Pylos! apparently there's some Zuul out there who have cruisers and particle beams but aren't sharing. I manage to take out the slave disks before the ships arrive at planet, so damage is minimal.

T 106 calm

T 107 Well, apparently luck isn't on our side and the Hiver's do have Altair. Going to be fun - and not in a good way.

T 108 Fortunately, Altair has an asteroid belt to hide in, but the hiver fleet still manages to spot a ship and close. Unfortunately, they haven't made the mistake of loading their ships with missiles, haign opted for mass drivers instead, which rips our fleet apart. The rip bore manages to escape, however, with a handful of ships.

T 109 and 110 Not much to do besides go all out for some better weapons. And we get green lasers finally on turn 110!

Well we did have some luck with tech and now have basic weapons now, and command ships. That's better than nothing, but we're still trapped by a big ol' wall of hiver. And Zuul aren't much for probing their way around defenses, unfortunately. But maybe we will be able to find some weak point to strike. I've updated ship designs to use green lasers as well.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 am

OK, looks like I'm up, I'll get to this tonight or tomorrow.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:05 am

Turn 110 - Look around, read the notes, check the various screens, notice that no research project is assigned. Start on VRF, hoping for Point Defense. Queue a CnC and some Torchbearers at Pylos, adjust research spending

IBT: Nothing

Turn 111 - Queue some more Torchbearers and Cestus (Assault)

Turn 112 - Queue more Torchbearers, increase research spending

IBT: 4 ship Ripper fleet arrives at Cargg to find 27 Hiver DEs and a gate. Lose bore ship and tanker, retreat 2 candles back down the node line to Procyon

Turn 113 - Queue more Torchbearers

Turn 114 - Queue more Torchbearers and Pebbles

Turn 115 - Queue more Pyros

Turn 116 - Max research as enough ships queued for this turn

IBT: Morrigi scout at Talok, AR results in: Scout dead, no losses or damage to us.

Turn 117 - Queue Pebbles at Pylos

Turn 118 - Send last ships built at Gotham to Pylos

Turn 119 - Build more

Turn 120 - Some ships are still queued at Pylos and Procyon. VRF research almost to 50 percent.

Not very exciting turn set, but I have built for the next person to have fun (Abyss if he's ready) with:

On turn 122, you will have a 101 DE fleet (80 combat + 21 support - Tankers, 4 CnC, Bore, Reproducers). It was my intention to attack Nozokris with it. It's the best colonization choice we have and it's a short node path from Pylos which should make it defensible. There is apparently a hiver gate and it will take 6 turns for us to get there, so I wanted a fleet I hoped could survive attacking a hiver world. There is a smaller fleet of 15 or 20 ships at Procyon you can use to attack Cargg again, mostly as a distraction. Sure would be nice to have sub-space jammers ;) I'd argue for Point Defense as the next research topic, then possibly jammers. Don't forget to build garrisons for Pylos and Procyon after you send the fleets off, I'm including the garrisons in the two attack fleets. The main attack fleet from Pylos is mostly Torchbearers (Green laser armors), Pebbles, 6 Cestus (Green laser Assault Shuttles should the planet be colonized), and a double handful of the older candles. Use the fleet as you think best. Have fun! As we were left alone for the turns, I don't have much other intel to pass on.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Perhaps, if we haven't heard from a player at all for two days, we could go ahead and skip them for a round?
Summer grasses:
imperial dreams - Basho

Return to “T.A.R.”