Dervy’s Birdies: How Dare You! [Morrigi TAR]

Tactics and Action Reports.
DervMan

Dervy’s Birdies: How Dare You! [Morrigi TAR]

Post by DervMan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:26 am

The Scenario

I’ve recently been playing a little Morrigi games. My favourite species in SotS is the Tarka, followed by the Hiver as they suit my lazy style of play. So the Morrigi feel a little different and yet at the same time... I enjoy the challenge. It’s time to try a different game, with a little twist as I love the idea of the Morrigi being space travellers. Wherever they lay their hat, that’s their home, as long as it floats in space. ;)

The Map

I’m using the Clusters Map, 42 systems, tightly packed (average of 5 LY between systems) with some size and resources polish. I’m making the default settings provide each faction four starting worlds too and a little cash, too.

Oh and I’m going to be playing this game on the Clusters map with 50% Economy and 50% Research Efficiency. ;) I’ve set the battle length to ten minutes because I don’t have to worry about time here.

My Rule

I only have one rule; I must not colonise any system outside of my home cluster. I can conquer worlds, but I must [i]not[/] colonise.

Other Players

All are set to random, five are Normal Difficulty and two are Hard Difficulty. I’ve moved my starting position to three just because I could.

System Update

Here we go!

DervMan

Re: Dervy’s Birdies: How Dare You! [Morrigi TAR]

Post by DervMan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:59 am

T001

I didn’t plan it, but it’s awesome. This is the shape of the galaxy and as you can see, I’ve been canted off to the side, I don’t have enemy players around me, I’m by myself. That’s good news because I might escape the attention of the bad boys for a while. Of course, they might all gang up on me.

For now, let’s spend a moment to consider my species’ strengths and weaknesses, as I see it.

So firstly, my strengths are high strategic speeds when I’m flocking, a decent mix of technologies with a bias away from ballistics, decent turret coverage, cool ship designs and Commercial Trading. My weaknesses are expensive warships, poor armour, poor economy without Commercial Trading,

Let’s set some objectives. Well, firstly, I need to figure out what’s around me and who is likely to come over and bust my feathers, versus who might become a friend. Ideally a trading friend.

I should also explore the two systems in my cluster I’ve not reached with a view to colonising these.

Technology wise, I need Commercial Trading as a priority. I can scrub any thoughts of bigger guns until I have Commercial Trading. I know from experience that FTL Economics enables Commercial Trading; I channel most of my cashflow into this project so that my Empire is five turns off completion.

Time for some eyes, then; a new Extended Range Destroyer, the Robin class, equipped with a total of seven Red Laser weapons. I order four to be constructed, the limit of my budget without going into my overdraft.

T002

Four Robin Destroyers are built and sent on their way. Ordinarily, I’d send groups of Morrigi ships together because their drive system is more efficient (read: faster!) when I sent groups. However, I don’t have the luxury of cash to send groups of Robin Destroyers towards distant worlds, so I’m sending lone ships.

T004

The first Robin reaches a local system, Xhalkida, finding a size four habitable system. It’ll cost around 50,000 credits a turn to terraform this system, which I don’t want to afford for the time being. It’s reasonably resourceful, though, so a definite one to claim later.

Writing of colonies, I should detail the four that I already have! My homeworld is Peten, a glorious size 10 world with 5,000 resources. Next is Tirynas, a size six world with 5,639 resources. Then there’s Aegina, a small world (size three) with 5,552 resources and finally, Akxhushtal, size nine and with 4,641 resources. Nothing exceptional here; my homeworld is likely to be my main production centre.

T005

My next Robin arrives at a local system, Shuulsi, finding a modest world (size three) with mediocre resources (4,701) and only just habitable with my current technology. Again, I won’t be colonising here just yet because it would cripple my Empire.

FTL Broadband is at 96% completion and is due in next turn.

My other two Robin Destroyers are five and six turns out from their destination systems.

T007

FTL Broadband went overbudget, but completed in T007; I put the scientists to work on FTL Economics, expected to complete in nineteen turns. :(

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:40 am

T009

Hivers. I’ve made contact with a Hiver faction. That’s good news and bad news. It’s good news if I can keep decent relations, as the Hive are a fantastic ally. It’s bad news because if they turn out to be hostile, their warships are significantly tougher than my own.

As soon as the combat starts, I order my Robin to poke off away from their colony, weapons stowed. They’re not interested in shooting at me either, so combats ends peacefully.

We can’t understand the Hivers, so I have no chance of sitting down for talks so I elect to move my warship away from their colony. I also order my other Robin Destroyer to halt before reaching the other world as we have detected Hiver signals.

I will work on understanding their language as soon as I have completed research into FTL Economics, which is still sixteen turns away.

The Hiver’s environmental preference is not a million miles from my own, which means my colonies might be tempting, should hostilities break out.

T013

In a common move for the artificial intelligence, the Hivers have taken to chasing away my Robin Destroyers by sending fleets after my own. I can easily outrun their warships but I don’t have the fuel to make it back to base.

I design a tanker ship, called the Boobie, and order one to be constructed. I will send this out to refuel the two Robin Destroyers as I would rather not lose them to the enemy. Meanwhile, I order both Robin Destroyers to retreat back towards my cluster.

T017

FTL Economics is now 55% complete with eight turns left to go. The way that Sword of the Stars’ research works is that once your Scientists have completed 50% of a project, there is the chance that you will complete it early.

T019

The Boobie class Destroyer reaches the Robin class Destroyer and completes a deep space refuelling operation.

T021

The Boobie makes contact with the second Robin and starts the trip back home.

T025

FTL Economics completes and I now have access to Commercial Trading and of course, Freighters.

First things first, I put my Scientists to work to research Ri’kap-ken, the Hiver’s basic language. This will allow me to open up a dialogue with them that will hopefully bring stop them from trying to kill me. I divert around 40% of my Empire’s cashflow into research as I am going to want to shunt a lot of cash into my Commercial Trading network over the next few turns.

Commercial Trading in the first game SotS is beautifully simple. You design and build Freighters, put them into Commercial Trading Sectors (building them at a local system is the easiest way to do this) and then leave them to it. It takes five turns for a trade route to work up to capacity; the number of trade routes depends on close systems, colony population and Trading Stations. That’s an overly simplistic point of view but that’s how I like it... So let’s put some numbers into the equation:

There you have it. I need to pump 2.7M Credits into Sector 2, my most densely packed Trading Sector, to fill the trading lanes with Freighters. My Empire’s cashflow is around 10% of this, so if I pause research, it’ll take ten turns of income. I’m ignoring the industrial construction point costs here (the mechanics are more sophisticated than I’m giving them credit, but it doesn’t matter too much to my lazy style of play). I need to balance researching the Hiver language, so what I’m going to do is gradually build up the number of Freighters in Sector 2 and open up lanes as soon as I can to improve cashflow.

Commercial Trading really comes into its own once you have developed Fusion and then Antimatter power, as you dramatically increase the number of trading lanes. Cruiser Freighters (requiring quite an investment in terms of research) are much more profitable, too; however, I’m going to ignore these developments for the time being and pump money into Destroyer Freighters because that’s the roleplaying element.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 pm

T029

I’ve reduced research expenditure in preference to savings, as the cashflow is going straight into building freighters. My Empire is broke, but I am starting to set up trading lanes. By T031 I have eighteen in service with more on the way.

T033

Sensors have detected a Hiver fleet approaching Xhalkida, numbering six ships and eighteen turns out. It seems our little foray into their sector has caught their interest. I am just one turn away from completing research into Ri’kap-ken and that hopefully will allow us to build a diplomatic relationship. If hostilities start, I do not want to have a close system inhabited by Hivers.

This also makes me wonder if other factions will send Scouts into my cluster. I need warships and I need warships quickly. Unfortunately, my economy is still hamstrung by funding new Freighters. These are starting to pay dividends, but I am still some way away from completing Sector 2’s trading lanes.

I take a tough decision. I will significantly slow down building new Freighters in favour of a mix of warship construction and research.

T034

We complete research into Ri’kap-ken and immediately offer the Hiver faction the Motherless Sons, an olive branch. They accept and we have a ceasefire with them. This makes things a little easier because the ceasefire means we will not fight over an uninhabited system. Still, ceasefires are sometimes used to pacify the enemy whilst you scrabble around to find a bigger stick to hit them with, so I need to be diligent.

I decide to put money towards the Light Emitter. This is a great multipurpose weapon; it’s fifteen turns away, but that number will reduce as more and more trading lanes open up.

T039

Sensors continue to track the Hiver fleet, which is moving at 0.5 LY/turn. That means the fleet is using Fission drives, so these ships are probably sluggish and unmanoeuvrable. If it comes to a shooting match, I may be able to keep my distance and bombard them from range.

T042

Sector 2 is generating just over 100K a turn, most of this being put into research.

T043

Sensors detect a second Hiver fleet heading towards Akxhushtal. Light Emitters are two turns from completion. This fleet will likely need dealing with. Luckily, research completes early at the next turn and I put funds into Waldo Units, as the improved industrial technology will be useful if or when we come to a scrap with the Hivers.

I design a Drone Carrier Destroyer, the Sparrow, equipped with two Drones and armed with Light Emitters.

I start constructing these Destroyers at Akxhushtal.

T049

Waldo Units complete and I redesign the Sparrow using the new Hammerhead command module.

The Sparrow Mk 2 has significantly improved agility plus enhanced firepower compared with the original.

The next research project is Battle Computers, which will unlock Squadron CnC and allow me to outnumber the enemy. That’ll be vital given Hiver ships are more robust compared with my own.

T051

The Motherless Sons reach Xhalkida and start erecting their Gateship. Relations with the Hivers remain peaceful.

T057

The Motherless Sons have colonised Xhalkida!

I move my Robin Destroyer away from the colony as I do not want to unduly provoke the Hivers. We start diplomatic efforts to recover the system.

A storm is coming! Batten down the hatches.

T058

Research into Battle Computers is completed, unlocking Squadron CnC and we design a new class, the Kestrel CnC. This warship will lead our fleets into battle.

I divert funding towards researching K’en-ken, the second Hiver language. Understanding this may help resolve our differences without resorting to a fight, however conflict now appears inevitable. I start building a fleet to take Xhalkida by force.

My engineers design a new warship class, the Chaffinch Destroyer. This warship carries a single Assault Shuttle, designed to be dropped into the atmosphere of an enemy colony to wreck havoc on the population and infrastructure.

T060

The Hivers have sent another fleet into my cluster, this one from Xhalkida and heading towards Aegina.

T061

We send a fleet towards Xhalkida; we must subdue this system. It will arrive in T+002.

T063

It is a dark day for the Empire.

Attempts to negotiate with the Motherless Sons have failed. We have retaken Xhalkida by force.

The colony is relatively easily destroyed.

We decide to settle this world and design a new coloniser ship class, the Chicken, beginning construction of these ships at our homeworld.

My assault fleet is needed elsewhere; I divert the fleet to Aegina, electing to pass by the enemy in deep space and intercept at my colony.

My mistake here is that I did not include any colonisers in my fleet; now I have to send another fleet this way to claim the system.

My reason for intercepting at my colony is so that I benefit from the small amount of resources that the destroyed Hiver warships will leave. Seeing as I’m using Drones, these are good long range weapons so the colony should be well protected from potential damage.

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Nice TAR Derv...
It's funny to see that you give your combat DEs the same name I usually give them too, (which is "Passero", in italian of course...)

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm

The Drone Destroyers? ;) As I add more warships, I'll be sure to have different names. :)

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:31 pm

T064

The Defence of Akxhushtal

Thirteen Hiver ships arrive at Akxhushtal and are met by a total of seventeen of my own warships, including a Kestrel Squadron CnC ship.

I take no losses during the battle apart from a small number of easily replaceable Drones. The Hivers lose all of their warships.

T068

Both fleets of five Chicken class Coloniser Destroyers arrives at Xhalkida and we settle the planet here.

My fleet easily repels the Hivers at Aegina for no losses. The Hiver warships are completely ineffective against my Drone swarm.

Meanwhile, I continue to increase the number of Freighters needed for Sector 2.

I decide to send Boobie and Robin combinations to the more distant clusters in the hope that we might find a friend elsewhere in the void, although the Hivers have signed another Cease Fire agreement.

T073

We spoke too soon! Sensors have detected an incoming fleet of ten Tarka ships just T+002 out from Tirynas. Fortunately, I have a fleet able to rendezvous at the colony at the same time the Tarka fleet is due to arrive but this is a nasty surprise I would have preferred to have known about sooner.

And that, kiddies ;) is why you should scout a lot more than I have been in this game. I’m trying to make this an interesting TAR all the same, but that the Tarka are sending ten ships... I must be behind the curve, surely...

T074

We complete research into K’en-ken and start work on Urdu Kai, the Tarka level one language. Not surprisingly, the Hivers are uninterested in signing a pact of non-aggression.

T075

The Tarka at Tirynas

We are cautious as we approach the Tarka fleet, keeping weapons stowed. Their warships approach at high velocity but then decelerate. Neither side appears willing to open fire upon the other, which is good. But the Tarka do not make any attempt to leave the system.

T076

The stalemate at Tirynas continues with no shots being fired. We have completed our research into Urdu Kai and switch to the Tarka’s Gutter Dialect to allow a greater understanding into their species. Meanwhile, the diplomatics agree a cease fire with the Tarka and we warn them of the Hivers.

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49 pm

hi derv i totally like your TAR, and the explanation of how works the economy in the game, i was having a hard time understand it, now is more easy
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:43 am

Thank you! ;)

As I wrote above, yeah I'm a lazy player and I don't fine tune my Empire in order to get the final 20% from it. That's one of the reasons why I'm still playing SotS a good few years after it was launched; I play my games to relax. Sometimes I want to just find the enemy and go, "pew! pew! pew!" rather than calculating the optimum colonisation settings.

No updates this week until later as my days off have been changed, but there hasn't been so much interest in the TAR... :?

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 am

DervMan wrote:No updates this week until later as my days off have been changed, but there hasn't been so much interest in the TAR... :?

Maybe because there hasn't been any update for a while...
Don't lose heart, Dervy, someone is still waiting for any news... ;)

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 am

I am reading it and enjoying it too :)

I think it was rather bold of you to go directly to trading. You didn't even pick up Waldo before trade. At turn 34 you got the hivers to agree to a ceasefire. After that you started on other techs like Waldo and light emitters. I was wondering, was there a chance for you to complete the level 2 hiver language before they arrived? In that case you could have colonized the two colonies before they could and ask them to sign a NAP. If they agreed, you could have had your two colonies and a NAP with the Hivers and nobody would have fired a single shot.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am

Yes it was a bold move! ;) I was wondering if I'd be tapped for that, because it doesn't necessarily make sense.

One thing that I've discovered when I play the Morrigi is that whilst their economy hurts without trade, when you play at 50% / 50%, it takes forever to recover the cost of setting up those early Freighters. But if you defer investing in commercial trading until later in the game, you don't have the case as you're fending off the enemy. I'm trying some short term pain for some medium to long term gain.

And it should make for a more interesting game.

Soon, I expect an advance of Hiver steel and fire... The children of the dust are coming... :twisted:

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:51 pm

DervMan wrote:I’ve moved my starting position to three just because I could.

Interesting, I've never done that. Does that affect your starting position or is it always random?
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

marshb

Post by marshb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:04 pm

DervMan wrote:Thank you! ;)

As I wrote above, yeah I'm a lazy player and I don't fine tune my Empire in order to get the final 20% from it. That's one of the reasons why I'm still playing SotS a good few years after it was launched; I play my games to relax. Sometimes I want to just find the enemy and go, "pew! pew! pew!" rather than calculating the optimum colonisation settings.

No updates this week until later as my days off have been changed, but there hasn't been so much interest in the TAR... :?

You know me, I read a lot of Tars, just don't post a whole lot. :oops:
Another great TAR by the way. :thumbsup:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:35 pm

dont worry derv, i follow your TAR since the begining and i read it always, sometimes even twice :lol: , keep going, we want the birdies to form an interstellar empire. morrigi onwards to victory :D
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

Return to “T.A.R.”