Dervy’s Birdies: How Dare You! [Morrigi TAR]

Tactics and Action Reports.
DervMan

Re: Dervy’s Birdies: How Dare You! [Morrigi TAR]

Post by DervMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Hahah thanks guys.

This week my day off has been changed from today to Friday, so I cannot easily post updates up until then. Even then, I have a busy day. So I may struggle until the weekend...

... But don't worry as this game is just getting interesting! ;)

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:14 pm

It's after Friday - even in the UK [taps fingernails] ;)
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:35 am

Hahahah patience. Unfortunately, I have a real world that occasionally requires a few adjustments of the slider and an "End Turn" to click. ;)

It's Sunday. The three cats have been fed and Mrs. Derv is asleep. Time for some headphones and System Update... :P

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:17 am

T079 Research into the Tarkas’s Gutter Dialect is now 34% complete with six turns left.

Elsewhere, Imperial Strategists believe we should send another fleet into Hiverspace so as to better understand this species and their motives. However, in light of their aggression, we should send a well armed fleet. We begin construction, but whilst the Empire’s economy is still growing, we are investing a significant amount of capital into the language research. It will take some time for the fleet to be constructed.

T080 The Children of the Dust are coming! Sensors detect another Hiver fleet approaching Xhalkida, numbering seven warships and twelve turns out. We will use the Hiverspace fleet to defend our fledgling colony.

We have universally agreed to engage the Hivers at our colony rather than in deep space. We will have the advantage of support from our colony defence missiles and may also be able to reclaim some of the Hiver warships as additional resources.

I don’t have Repair & Salvage technology so I won’t be able to loot their weapons, but the seven resource points are better at my colony than lost in the vagaries of space. Drones are a sufficiently long ranged weapon that the colony should be protected as I can engage away from the atmosphere. I need to hope they haven’t developed point defence just yet!

T085 We complete the Gutter Dialect and invite the Tarka to a Pact of Non Aggression. They refuse. Their mistake.

We start work on Orbital Foundries, as we are in need of more warships. That Hiver fleet is now seven turns out and it will take my fleet three turns to get there.

T086 In light of the Tarka’s refusal to sign a Pact of Non Aggression, we consider their presence at the Tirynas system to be a blockade or siege. We destroy the enemy fleet. We must protect our valuable systems.

T087 Our long range scouting fleet arrives at Keo’Va and find a very new colony with no warships in orbit. This is a new species to the tribe, the humans. Unfortunately, owing to a breakdown in communications, we fire upon and destroy the colony. The world is uninhabitable and we waste thirteen hundred lives. We will apologise to the humans once we can understand their language.

Elsewhere, our fleet is launched to defend Xhalkida. We will continue to supply reinforcements as this fleet will eventually go on and venture into Hiverspace.

T089 We are relieved that the Humans have suggested a ceasefire. We accept.

T090 The Humans withdraw the ceasefire without rationalisation. The diplomats suggest that they have contact with the Tarka, but we have no firm proof of this.

T092 The Hivers arrive at Xhalkida and we repel their fleet with no losses. Elsewhere, a lone Human Destroyer arrives at Keo’Va and engages with our Robin and Boobie combination. Sensors detect another Tarka fleet approaching Akxhushtal, where we already have a defence fleet in place.

We take comfort that the Hivers have not yet developed their weapons but several of our warships are damaged and Xhalkida is unable to repair these warships yet. This will delay sending the fleet towards Hiverspace.

Top military planners and scientists have held a number of meetings to try to prioritise the threats that we currently face across the void. The Hivers have slow warships and we have Robin class Destroyers keeping a watchful eye on the spacelanes between their cluster and ours. We have nothing between us and the Tarka or Humans and must move to resolve this.

We also have a proposal to build a number of orbiting satellites at our colonies as fixed place defences. These will be inexpensive to build and operate and may be useful if we suffer constant harassment from enemy fleets.

T093 We complete research into Orbital Foundries and start work on Expert Systems. We also order a number of new Light Defence satellites for our threatened colony at Akxhushtal and order a number of new Robin scout Destroyers, destined to be our long range eyes and ears.

T094 We defend Akxhushtal from the Tarka fleet. They are easily swept aside.

Here is the state of the known galaxy:

We do not know much about our neighbours. We have much work to do!

T099 This screen image here shows the galactic map with sensor range showing.

I don’t usually keep the sensor coverage on permanently, as it’s quite messy, but this shows how I’m planning to keep an eye on incoming bogeys from the Tarka sector. Until I get Deep Scan, there will likely be a few gaps in my coverage, but that’s not too big an issue as I can always build more ships to cover these. I’ll stop the Robin Destroyers when they are approximately mid way between my sector and theirs, then hope to detect incoming fleets with a little bit more notice.

When I acquire Deep Scan, I’ll send new scouts to these parked Robins in deep space and it will make a big difference to my sensor coverage.

Meanwhile, we have reopened diplomatic discussion with the Tarka. We offer them a peace pie, because after all, everybody likes a bit of pie, right?

T101 Here’s the sensor coverage now that my Robin Destroyers are positioned.

This will give me better notice of incoming.

T105 Research into Expert Systems completes and we put money into Translate English, so that we may understand the Humans the next time we encounter their kind.

T107 Xhalkida is now fully developed and we start preparing a Chicken and Boobie fleet to colonise Shuulsi. Translate Human completes and we put money into the Sensor Jammer.

I know that the Sensor Jammer might seem a strange technology to research, but hear me out! ;)

What I’d really like to invest in is Fusion or Cruisers. Fusion is over forty turns away, Cruisers around twenty. A lot can and probably will happen in the next sixty turns; oh and I’m going to colonise Shuulsi, which will be a drain on my economy and will lengthen the time to complete these projects. I don’t need Biological research as I only have one more world to settle. And my current weapon technology is adequate, but that will change. The Sensor Jammer is ten turns away from completion at a low rate, so I’m acquiring cash, which I will use to build up my commercial trading network and generate lots of cash for some point down the line.

I have the feeling that there’s an uneasy peace at the moment, but it’ll change. Okay. Sending a fleet to poke at the Hivers isn’t going to help matters either...

T108 My fleet arrives at Xhokotis and the Hivers engage. Although we are outnumbered, we decide to engage and a vicious battle ensues!

The Hivers do not appear to be fielding any command and control ships, so during the early stages of the battle I am about to outnumber and overwhelm the enemy.

As we approach the enemy colony, they have a number of orbiting defence satellites, Destroyer and Cruiser classes. These satellites are also equipped with Laser Point Defence turrets; low powered, but fast and accurate. They start picking off my Drones quicker than I can repair and replace.

We engage the satellite defences at point blank range, also fending off large numbers of colony defence missiles using Light Emitters and of course, Hiver Destroyer warships.

It becomes clear that this is a battle we cannot win, so I elect to withdraw, but my warships are being punished by the Hiver’s colony defence missiles.

At the final count, I have lost 42 ships with two more needing to be scrapped as they have lost their drives. The Hiver lose fifty two ships and a total of 75 Million lives, most of these Imperials rather than Civilians. I retreat my fleet.

Elsewhere, the Tarka have taken an interest in Xhalkida and have sent a fleet to investigate. I am able to send my own fleet to meet them there. The Hivers have also sent another fleet into my sector, towards Shuulsi, which I’m planning on colonising soon. I will need warships here, then.

We investigate how the Tarka fleet slipped past our sensors and spot how one route just misses my sensor coverage.

Somebody sack the general! ;) So there was a little gap in my sensors and that’s how the bad guys slipped past, or maybe they were already in the gap? No matter. I’ll plug it and move on.

So everything is going how I would expect it to. The Hivers met my fleet with more of their own warships and the assault was pretty much always going to be doomed, but it makes for a good TAR. I’ve also learnt about their technological progress: Cruisers, Point Defence. When they come for me – and they will – it’ll be a tougher fight.

Meanwhile, let’s see if I can’t persuade the Tarka to see my point of view.

SleeStac

Post by SleeStac » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Dervman,

This is great! Instructive and well written. I'm following your AAR with interest.

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 pm

i like this chapter a lot, you must try to bring the tarka to your side or the humans, their weapons are quite deadly
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

brisub

Post by brisub » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Dervy, I read LOTS of TAR's, too, but don't often post in them. Most are necro (why I keep quiet there), but rest assured your insights are helpful.
:sots1: Bri

How do I know I'm about to be annihilated? The turn count reaches 250...

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Aww thanks guys! I love writing TARs but they do take a fair bit of time....;)

brisub

Post by brisub » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:02 pm

DervMan wrote:Aww thanks guys! I love writing TARs but they do take a fair bit of time....;)

That's why it was important to let you know that people are interested. BTW - are the images hyperlinked from elsewhere, or simply attached to the post? I want to do a TAR, but don't know about the technical issues involved...
:sots1: Bri

How do I know I'm about to be annihilated? The turn count reaches 250...

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm using my Dropbox account... And yeah, feedback is excellent. Keeps me back for more!

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 pm

One of these days... I'm going to do my own T.A.R.! With pictures... and videos! And blackjack!! And hookers!!!

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Whoop! ;)

SleeStac

Post by SleeStac » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Hookers and blackjack, is that some kind of menace?!?

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 am

I'd say no if my good lady isn't in earshot! It's a Futurama Bender reference...

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 pm

hi Derv

i have a little question, ¿when we will have an update? :)
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

Return to “T.A.R.”