RBSotS1 SG13 Interest thread

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

RBSotS1 SG13 Interest thread

Post by ZedF » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 pm

It seems like the sadorandomizer's addition of an unfriendly map to a challenging setup in RBSotS12 proved to betoo much. But that's ok, we can always start another game!

Some possibilities:

• Ivra expressed interest in a Zuul game on normal difficulty with a random default start
  • Alternatively, it would be no problem to start a grudge match game with a setup similar to the last one (though somewhat easier) but with more friendly starting map conditions
  • Something else, perhaps involving playing as a different race?

Let's see what you guys would like to see in a game!
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Re: RBSotS1 SG13 Interest thread

Post by ivra » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm in.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Blackswimmer

Post by Blackswimmer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I might be interested, though I don't have that much spare time at the moment. Roughly how many turns each, and about how much time each?
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm going to pass on this one. ][ is starting to look good and I think I'm going to spend some time there.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Blackswimmer wrote:I might be interested, though I don't have that much spare time at the moment. Roughly how many turns each, and about how much time each?

10 turns each. The SGs I played (excluding the last one where we were hemmed in and never got to do much) typically took 4-6 hours to complete a turnset in the mid/late game. Occasionally more if launching/defending against a massive attack, occasionally less if the situation resulted in mostly playing a builder turnset (ex spamming freighters or rebuilding attack fleets but not getting to use them).

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:01 am

I'm in. I open to anything, though I have the least experience with Zuul, so they might be fun. My favorite race is Liir.

lobachevskii

Post by lobachevskii » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:33 am

I'd be interested in giving it a go.

Note however that I'm a fairly new player (having only discovered SOTS last year) so I'll be using it as a learning game for whatever race we're playing.

Also it would be helpful if someone could outline the conventions used when playing this type of game. :)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:44 pm

There are several other TARs you can read up on to see what other people have used in the past as far as conventions go. It's really up to the players in each game to decide on what conventions they would like to use. For instance I generally have a standard naming convention for ships I like to propose for games I am personally playing in, but others prefer other standards.

As far as time commitment goes, it's generally not too much unless you have a team of very keen players such that turns roll quickly and frequently. Normally I ask that everyone should play their turns within 48 hours of their turn coming around, or else post ASAP if that's not possible for any reason so you can request a skip for that turnset or a swap with another player. The more players there are, the less time commitment per player, but generally not more than a few hours every few days at most, and often less than that (e.g. during early game when turns are easy to play, or later on when players tend to take more of their 48 hour window to post their turns.)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Summoner

Post by Summoner » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:51 pm

Summoner wrote:
Blackswimmer wrote:I might be interested, though I don't have that much spare time at the moment. Roughly how many turns each, and about how much time each?

10 turns each. The SGs I played (excluding the last one where we were hemmed in and never got to do much) typically took 4-6 hours to complete a turnset in the mid/late game. Occasionally more if launching/defending against a massive attack, occasionally less if the situation resulted in mostly playing a builder turnset (ex spamming freighters or rebuilding attack fleets but not getting to use them).

...actually, SG11's saves are still up; you pick one from the latter portion and see how long it takes you to play the turns and record what you did (this is much easier if you have a 2nd computer and can type on it with the game still open on your first).

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:20 pm

I found alt-tabbing between SotS and a text editor easy enough for doing the write-up, myself. And it's not a huge time commitment. The turnset can get to be a few hours if there's lots of combat, but there's not any expectation that you do it all in one go. For me, at least, as long as I know when to expect the savefile, I don't complain, even if it is a few days.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Well, I've been dividing my gaming time (which has been sparse due to RL commitments) between Prime, MoO2, SotS][ and (very recently) a beta-test in which I finally got involved. I'd be interested in another SG... by the time it's done, we probably will have the all-clear for ][ and we can start SG's there. :)

I'll pretty much play anything, although I would really like to learn how to play Zuul in Prime... I finally managed to wrap my head around Humans, so the weasels are the only ones I haven't figured out.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:46 pm

OK, if I read the thread right and just to sum up, that gives:

ivra
PurpleMarmot
lobachevskii
StarKnight

and possibly blackswimmer.

With 3 people interested in a Zuul game, primarily for learning purposes and one for any race.

Did I get anything wrong?

Blackswimmer

Post by Blackswimmer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:07 pm

I just started a college course and it's eating into my time rather. I think I'm going to have to give this one a miss.
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:33 pm

purplemarmot wrote:OK, if I read the thread right and just to sum up, that gives:

ivra
PurpleMarmot
lobachevskii
StarKnight

and possibly blackswimmer.

With 3 people interested in a Zuul game, primarily for learning purposes and one for any race.

Did I get anything wrong?

No, I don't think so. A normal difficulty Zuul game where everybody describing what they do and why is what I expect too.
Last edited by ivra on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

acastus

Post by acastus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:47 pm

I can participate in this SG. I haven't tried the Zuul at all but I can give it a shot.

Return to “T.A.R.”