RBSotS1 SG13 Interest thread

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: RBSotS1 SG13 Interest thread

Post by ZedF » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 am

Ok, the game is up. There is room for one more if we get another taker.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:23 pm

So it seems like most of the participants in the Shattered Mirror are done playing and/or no longer interested in continuing. Is there any interest out there for another succession game, or for a SotS1 game in some other format?
Zed's TARs (sample):

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

I'd be up for whatever and SG or parallel games or an RPish dialogue.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 pm

I'd be interested as well.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

RBSotS1 SG13 Interest thread

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Well if we can get another couple interested parties I will see what I can do. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Me too if there is still room I started to join the shattered mirror and didn't and then I kicked myself when I saw what a good job you guys did with it.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:58 am

I'm definitely interested.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 pm

What kind of game are folks interested in, a SG like those we did previously, or one of these 'everyone starts from the same file' more competitive games like we did for the Shattered Mirror? Bear in mind that for the latter, either we risk everyone finishing at wildly divergent times (which makes it hard to schedule the next game) or we might have to impose some kind of guideline or rule about when the game is considered 'finished' regardless of how much progress individual players have made up to that point.

Also, what kind of challenge level are folks looking for?
Zed's TARs (sample):

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 pm

I wouldn't mind a Shattered Mirror type parallel game where you not only TAR but give a bit of RP as well. However, there should be some restriction on when a certain amount of turns are due so that we don't have to play catch up with one player or slow down with another.

Another idea I thought of was something like a Fail Succession Game, it's been done here before in two iterations. The concept that the game, usually 6-8 players, starts at turn 40 or 50 and the game progresses like a round robin with taking over the AI that is in last place. You'd have to play to win in that setting, because if you don't you'll end up trying to put the next AI you'll play for at a greater advantage. I don't know what the "win" condition for it would be, perhaps when you finally get to the last two AIs and see if you fall or triumph. It would be a lot of work, especially since you'd be redesigning all of the AI ships every time you switched, but it could be quite challenging.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:25 am

I don't really have any 'd-ruthers. Whatever the group wants is fine by me. I enjoyed the Fail Logs, and always thought it was an interesting challenge. I also enjoy RP / story writing like in S Mirror. Even a plain ol' SG is fine. I don't really have a strong preference as to race or difficulty - any setup that generates an interesting challenge is fine.

The Fail Succession Game idea is interesting, but I have just one concern. Would we tend to have the same faction in last place after a given set of turns? Game events like randoms, diplomatic interactions and the differing outcomes of wars of AI factions with other AI factions would probably lead to a different rise and fall of empires in our games.

May be we could still make that work, though. Could be interesting - almost like "opposing TARS" instead of "parallel TARS". So we all start with same faction, but maybe my faction in last place at the end of X turns is Liir and someone else's is Hiver. So we each switch to the losing faction in our game. Maybe the story reconverges, maybe it doesn't...

Don't know, just brainstorming for sake of discussion. Again, I'm pretty much open to anything. Oh and I guess game version would be ANY 1.8.0?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 am

Yes, version would be 1.8.0.
Zed's TARs (sample):

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 am

I'm happy with a straight SG or something a bit more complicated.
No strong race preference and would like something challenging but not killer (for me I normally win flat start, normal AI games but my success rate against hard AI without giving myself a big starting advantage is pretty low ;-)

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:00 pm

PvtNutter wrote:I don't really have any 'd-ruthers. Whatever the group wants is fine by me. I enjoyed the Fail Logs, and always thought it was an interesting challenge. I also enjoy RP / story writing like in S Mirror. Even a plain ol' SG is fine. I don't really have a strong preference as to race or difficulty - any setup that generates an interesting challenge is fine.

The Fail Succession Game idea is interesting, but I have just one concern. Would we tend to have the same faction in last place after a given set of turns? Game events like randoms, diplomatic interactions and the differing outcomes of wars of AI factions with other AI factions would probably lead to a different rise and fall of empires in our games.

May be we could still make that work, though. Could be interesting - almost like "opposing TARS" instead of "parallel TARS". So we all start with same faction, but maybe my faction in last place at the end of X turns is Liir and someone else's is Hiver. So we each switch to the losing faction in our game. Maybe the story reconverges, maybe it doesn't...

Don't know, just brainstorming for sake of discussion. Again, I'm pretty much open to anything. Oh and I guess game version would be ANY 1.8.0?

The Fail Log wouldn't be a parallel game by many people which is what I think you're referring to, it would be a game where you traded off the saves. There might need to be a tweak for the number of turns allowed so that there is some way to not be stuck in the same rut. Otherwise, it might be interesting to have different Fail TARs and narrate them in such as way as the Shattered Mirror, though that may get too complicated too. As for difficulty, I wouldn't mind one or two hard AIs, but not a 7 v 1 or a 4 v 1 situation of all hard AIs.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Ok, I have an idea. I just have to figure out how to set it up...
Zed's TARs (sample):

whiterebbit

Post by whiterebbit » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 am

I would be interested joining whatever.

I can usually beat the AI on hard, under normal setups. First time playing a TAR so no really preferences. I would like to be playing against hard AIs, anything is fine by me.

Return to “T.A.R.”