Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: The Shattered Mirror

Post by ZedF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Turn 129

For the Tesla Heresy, the first ships of the fusion era slipped out of the dockyards following turn 126, starting with the support vessels that lacked specialized weapons and armour, and followed by combat ships as further supplemental combat techs were researched. Several fleets of these vessels were constructed in short order, as funds permitted.

Initial field tests were performed at the defense of Mintarr on turn 129. For the first time, the Zuul assembled in a full strikeforce, pitted against a similar Liir strikeforce. For the first time, the Zuul fielded modern armour piercing mass drivers in quantity, rather than the old standard mass drivers relied upon by the exploring bore quadrons. The results were not pleasant for the Liir.

It wasn't so much that individual Zuul ships were superior to individual Liir ships; the Zuul ships did pack a lot of firepower, but tended to be less than sturdy. Their engine sections proved especially vulnerable, which fact the Liir would take advantage of time and time again. In a one-on-one match between a main Zuul combat ship and an equivalent Liir ship, the Zuul would have only a small advantage, especially if said Liir ship was one of their especially dangerous fusion projector vessels.

Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Turn 133 - 134

Instead, the main differences were twofold. At the tactical level, the Zuul concentrated first on enemy command ships, and were thus often able to obtain situations where they outnumbered small groups of Liir combatants in order to defeat them in detail.

In contrast, the Liir did not focus fire on any enemy ship in particular. They were often able to destroy a combat ship or two, but Zuul fleets never lost command cohesion in the way Liir fleets frequently did.

At the strategic level, the Zuul were more committed to aggression along multiple salients, forcing the Liir into a reactive stance. The Zuul struck again and again at weakly held Liir worlds, while the Liir navy was forced to pursue, but could rarely catch their aggressors in terms favourable to them. Their drives were too slow when near star systems, resulting in the Zuul being able to get away from the larger Liir formations and fight battles only on their own terms -- usually involving the death of Liir worlds.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 pm

I tried out a few new tactics that I hadn't previously employed, or hadn't employed much previously, in this war. My combat ships were a mix of strafe/armour/fusion with all AP drivers, hammerhead/armour/fusion with AP drivers and disruptor whips, and assault/armour/fusion with disruptor torpedoes, AP drivers, and (later) particle beams.

While I had used disruptor torpedoes previously many times, I couldn't recall whether they work against deflector shields to bring down the shield. The answer is no, you need EMP torps or perhaps pulsars for that. This proved not to be a big problem, though, as I could use the boarding pods on my CnC to take down the shield long enough to focus fire on the ship. Later I added particle beams in the large turrets to take out enemy disruptor sections.

Disruptor whips were a new weapon for me, which I had never tried researching before. I was less than impressed with them, however, as they are quite fiddly: you usually have to click on the weapon to use it. Moreover the benefit seems small relative to the cost of having your ship get swung out of formation in reaction to the chain attachment; unlike tractor beams, your own ship is also affected by what the enemy ship does, which can quickly take it away from the fight and unable to contribute much. I doubt I'll use them again.

The most dangerous enemy ships my Zuul had to deal with were enemy fusion projector ships. At the start of the war, the Liir fielded relatively few of these, along with a larger number of barrage vessels. By the end of the war they were fielding a lot more of them. One trick I would use to thin out the initial attack of these ships was to launch the assault shuttles from my combat ships' assault sections as soon as I got into AP driver range. This would usually cause the enemy projector ships to waste their first attack against an assault shuttle. Also, I would often try to neutralize one with my CnC's boarding pods, if I didn't need them for a deflector shielded vessel.

One tactic Zuul often use is to add boarding ships to the fleet mix, but I opted not to do that this time. There was one occasion where I wound up using a rending bore's node cannon, however, due to running low on combat vessels to throw into the grinder for that fleet. This proved very effective, providing I waited until the Liir were fully engaged and bunched up near my fleet. Prior to their being fully engaged I could only catch a few ships, but once they had pressed themselves up against my battle formation I could hit an entire Liir combat wave at once, with devastating effect.

In any case, with multiple Zuul fleets on the go, and by generally attacking relatively poorly-defended worlds in such a fashion that I typically had no more than a 2 turn journey to get to my targets (leaving the Liir unable to react in time before my fleet arrived, as they also usually had a 2 turn journey to get anywhere) I was able to take out almost the entirety of the Liir empire within ~20 turns.

At this point, it seems pretty clear that the Tarka and Hivers will not be able to put up a significantly harder fight than the Liir were able to. Thus, I think I will declare this game won, and stop here. Of course, the save file is included in case anyone else wants to keep going from this point.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Indeed the game was won well before this point...
Good TAR ZedF, thanks.

Return to “T.A.R.”