The Shattered Mirror

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: The Shattered Mirror

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 am

The_Unificator wrote:finally i finish my turnset, i am trying to upload the report but mediafire is against me :( , once i upload the report there i will add it here

EDIT: the report: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?14ek1c466j5f72s

Hiya Unificator,
I think you're having troubles uploading your report because, with all those images, it's pretty huge. You might want to compress it before uploading the file and just post a link to the compressed report. I don't think mediafire gives you a really big upload/download pipe to work with.

Also, I'm curious, what's your plan for that 12 million credits you have kicking around? That's quite a retirement fund! You might want to take some of those credits out of your slush fund and build a few scouts to start exploring a bit again. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:19 am

purplemarmot wrote:I was curious what happened and went back through a few save files. I must have missed a combat that I meant to fight myself and clicked peace instead. Whatever happened the colony was dead the next turn.

That's a real shame! It looks like the Liir are trying to make life hard for you, but hopefully you'll be able to prevail. Good reporting so far! 8)
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:48 am

Tesla Edict T100-T115

T101 - Ultara - First battle against a significant Zuul force. However, half of the Zuul ships are primarily armed with missiles, while the other half are primarily brawlers.

The missiles aren't enough to saturate our fleet's PD, and the brawlers are focused down first, so overall damage taken is relatively light.

Ultara's population is eliminated by shuttle bombardment, and we gain the Secret of Varja research project. A biome colonizer is left behind, and the fleet moves on.

Last edited by ZedF on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 am

T103-T104 - Ixion - Another significant Zuul force encountered at Ixion, and we incur our first combat loss of the operation, a frontline combat cruiser.

In exchange we wipe out the Zuul fleet of a dozen cruisers and a like amount of destroyers, over the course of 2 turns, and sterilize the world with the intention of colonizing it.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:55 am

Protector's Council Chambers, Righteousness 105.8795

"I mislike this, Jacob," Protector Simon Oliveri noted, his mouth twisted into a wry frown. "The web you have woven for me here appears quite tangled. How did it come to be thus? More importantly, is there anything we can do to unknot it?"

Prelate Jacob Marlowe, the Edict's current foreign minister, pursed his lips speculatively. He had stayed behind after this morning's council meeting in order to deliver a report concerning a model his staff had put together describing the relations between the various races in the cluster. The findings were technically preliminary and subject to revision, but Jacob agreed with his Protector. They didn't make him feel any more comfortable than they did his superior. Fortunately, at least he wasn't the one who was going to be making the ultimate decision regarding what to do about the situation.

Jacob shook himself out of his brief reverie and quickly started to answer the question. "It's never easy to make precise guesses regarding the motives of alien governments, Protector, so take any speculation I might make here with an accordingly large grain of salt. That said, I am fairly confident that the root cause of the problem boils down to space, and time.

"To give an example of how space and time can work to further relations between two polities, look no further than the relationship between ourselves and the Liir," the foreign minister continued. "We made contact with one another early, while there was still a good deal of space available in the core, and thus had time to come to know one another and develop an understanding that said space would be shared in a reasonably equitable fashion -- to wit, first come, first serve, but with an underlying notion that neither of us should starve the other for expansion room. Even now, with our navy pushing the Zuul further back into the anti-spinward arm, our relationship with the Liir still continues to operate under that premise."

"Of course," Simon agreed, nodding.

Smiling slightly as he warmed to his subject, Jacob went on. "The races of the spinward arm, however, have always been relatively crowded in comparison to those of us in the core. This has firstly led to the long-standing feud between the Morrigi and the Tarka."

"What of the Hivers?" the Protector interrupted.

"They appear to be considerably more willing to engage in general discussion with almost everyone," Jacob amplified, "probably due to their desire to spread their gate network outward, wherever they may. However, this brings me to the second factor I mentioned: time. The Liir have only settled Kumixhos and Ke'Welkor recently -- at our invitation, I might add. The difficulty is perhaps that the Liir and the other races of the spinward arm have not had time to grow to know one another. This is compounded by the fact that there is very little unclaimed expansion room remaining to be had in said arm. This is less of a problem for the Liir, who have room to grow elsewhere and are inclined to adopt an initially peaceful stance in any case. But it is potentially a serious concern for the Tarka and Morrigi, who appear to be disinclined to make peace with an unknown race which is, as far as they are concerned, boxing them in."

"I take your point," remarked the Protector. "Certainly the Tarka have never been content with the share of the galaxy they have carved out for themselves, but I find it difficult to be sympathetic toward them when they were the ones that first launched an unprovoked attack against Talos. At least the Morrigi will talk with us in peaceable terms, since we took the trouble to learn their language and ways, but will that extend to the Liir as well? How motivated can we expect the Liir and the Morrigi to be to make peace, when we don't know if they can speak one another's language in the first place? Or even if their sensors are sufficiently advanced to have made direct contact yet, for that matter. I don't suppose they will allow us to mediate?"

"The Liir might, Protector, but I don't believe the Morrigi trust us quite that far," the foreign minister replied sadly, shaking his head. "Certainly not as long as they feel we might favour the Liir over them. And frankly, I can see their point; we have good reason to be tempted to do so, given the long-standing relationship, profitable trading partnership, and extensive border we share with the Liir. And naturally, the same applies to the Hivers -- only even moreso, considering they are much more friendly toward the Tarka than the Morrigi are, and the Tarka have no love for either us or the Liir."

"Well, the Liir have no love for the Tarka either," Simon grumbled. "They were first-hand witnesses to the assault on Talos too, after all, not to mention that they've lost quite a few scouts to the Tarka over the deciim." He paused. "So, what are our options?"

"I see three potential paths ahead, Protector. All of them carry risks. The first, is to do nothing other than to defend our border. Possibly the Liir and the Morrigi will establish peaceful relations of their own accord -- or equally possibly, they will become entrenched in rancor toward one another, if neither side opens communications, or if the Morrigi fail to come around relatively quickly. Ultimately, I suspect the Liir will begin counter-attacking the Tarka if the latter continue to be hostile, and I see no reason why this would change. Eventually, it seems probable that all four races will become embroiled in conflict -- five, including ourselves, as our navy will likely to be called upon repeatedly, to defend our own and Liirian colonies. The risk is that such a war could drag on for a long time, causing potentially billions of deaths. In the end, it is very possible that only ourselves and the Liir would survive, for none of the other races could prevail against us as long as we stand together.

"The second path is to assume that none of the spinward arm races will ever be content with their territory as long as they are confined to the arm, that all of them harbour jealousy in their hearts regarding those of us who happen to live in the core, and that each of them would be willing to turn against us, regardless of what they say, as soon as the opportunity presents. In such a case, we might opt to forcefully demilitarize each of those races and subjugate them. However, I personally consider this viewpoint to be excessively pessimistic and difficult to justify at present. It would still necessarily involve a cluster-spanning war between all races, and perhaps if it were done on our terms we could limit collateral damage to some extent, but it seems all too likely that we would be the aggressors, which does not sit well with me."

"No, indeed," Protector Simon interjected. "We cannot assume all the spinward arm races are incapable of rational and peaceful self-government; certainly not when we know the Liir are so capable. Not without a lot more evidence to that effect than we have now. Such is not the path of justice!"

"Quite so," Jacob agreed, inclining his head, before continuing. "But there is one other option. The third path is to accept that war, at least with the Tarka, is inevitable and unavoidable... but to further postulate that war amongst the other races is not, if they can be convinced to share space with one another. The easiest place from which to acquire said space for the purposes of sharing with the Morrigi and the Hivers, would be the worlds of the Tarkasian empire. We must necessarily reduce at least some of their colonies, if we are to break their war machine. But in order to successfully turn war with the Tarka into peace with the remaining factions, we must traverse a diplomatic minefield full of potential pitfalls. We must somehow convince the Morrigi and Hivers that we have no intention for our war with the Tarka to spill over to them, and indeed that it's to their benefit to align their foreign policy to ours in this case. This may be easier said than done. Even if we accomplish it, there is still no guarantee that the Morrigi and Hivers will view the Liir with less suspicion, once they are again able to expand." The foreign minister hesitated momentarily.

"I see," said Protector Simon gravely. "And I also see what you have not explicitly mentioned. In order to clear space for the Morrigi and Hiver expansion as your third option proposes, we would doubtless be unable to offer any succor to Tarkasian civilians -- any independent worlds they might form should the Tarkasian government collapse would simply be targeted for destruction by the other races anyway, and in the meantime would still cause friction regarding available colonial prospects. Moreover, for as long as the current Tarka government remains in power, they would likely try to poison our relations with anyone willing to listen -- most especially, in this case, the Hivers. There is a distinct possibility that this action could lead to the genocide of the Tarka race, in order to make way for other races with which we can hopefully get along better. Are we so certain that the Tarka will never agree to peace, that we can countenance treating them as we have the Zuul?"

"That, I cannot tell you, Protector," the foreign minister replied somberly. "Certainly they appear unwilling to consider peace in the short term, and have shown no signs of potentially altering their stance. But the threat of genocide could change matters quickly."

"It is a threat I am loath to make," Simon declared grimly. "But if the choice is between that, and the prospect of the horrors of a drawn-out general war in the spinward arm, indefinitely, then it appears we have only undesirable options to choose from. Shall we choose to hazard error by omission or commission, brother? By acting, or by failing to act? It is not an easy decision, when the risks are high regardless, and the outcomes so uncertain."

"No, it is not easy," Foreign Minister Jacob agreed. "I will of course do all I can to assist. The matter rests heavily on my thoughts, Protector."

Protector Simon nodded, inhaling deeply, before exhaling in a sigh. "So it does, and will, on all of us."
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:57 am

T106 - Ixion - The Devoted attack our new colony at Ixion, just pried from the claws of the Faithful, with a substantial force of 19 cruisers; we meet them with 2 of our fleets. Unlike the Faithful, which mix brawlers with their missile boats, the Devoted use missile cruisers almost exclusively. Fortunately our PD is up to the task, with the help of the asteroids to provide some cover.

The most danger to our ships came from the Zuul charging headlong into our formation, recklessly risking collisions.

The final Zuul non-combat ships threatened to take over one of our cruisers with boarding pods, but refinery explosions at close range are a good way to take care of those. With Zuul refineries being so flimsy, this happens more often than one might think. When the battle was over, searching the wreckage from the Zuul fleet prompted a special project to discover Sturgeon's Law.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 am

T109 - Zamara - By this point, the Faithful have been reduced to just 2 worlds, Hebron and Slyggia, both of which are closer to the core and are being left for the Liir to deal with. As our fleets head outward from formerly Faithful worlds into territory occupied by the Devoted, two of them encounter the last significant Faithful force in the area.

The battle is noteworthy mainly because Faithful energy weapons manage to wreck a number of our ships' drives, and our fleets are forced to stop for repairs and refuelling. Fortunately, no ships were lost in the exchange, although several were heavily damaged.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:59 am

T111 - Iszm - The first major battle in Devoted space pits two of our fleets against a large defense force at Iszm. Since the Devoted rely heavily on missiles, their damage output is largely blunted by our point defense; however, they do seem to have more ships available with which to fight than the Faithful, and through sheer weight of numbers they are able to prevent our fleets from pressing the attack against the planet. They take dreadful casualties in the exchange, however. It turned out to be fortunate that the Devoted colony survived the battle, as the climate was so inhospitable that we would be unable to colonize it ourselves. Instead of pressing the attack, our fleets opt to move on the following year.

Last edited by ZedF on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:00 am

T113-T114 - Aichi - During this timeframe, we assault Aichi and Vilani with two fleets each, while a fifth fleet attacks Archon. The latter two are far enough into the back lines that they have few defenders, which are quickly overwhelmed.

The battle for Aichi, on the other hand, is much harder-fought by the Devoted, who have a lot of ships there to throw into the meat grinder. Again, though, their over-reliance on missiles proves to be their downfall.

While the Devoted press the attack and are thereby able to keep our fleets from approaching or doing much damage to the colony for the first two turns of the battle, eventually they run out of ships.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 am

The Jinx News Beacon, Generosity 115.2773

"And now, the Interstellar Report. Top headline: War on Two Fronts! In addition to the ongoing campaign against the Zuul, codenamed Operation Tesla's Hammer, the Protector's office announced that today, for the first time after more than 50 deciim of cold and occasionally open warfare, offensive operations shall commence against the Imperial Armada.

"First, the anti-spinward front. Casualty lists this deciim from operations against the Devoted remain mercifully short, as Operation Tesla's Hammer continues to take advantage of its qualitative advantage in firepower and defensive weaponry to neutralize Devoted combat swarms while enjoying a very high kill ratio. Devoted resistance at Aichi to Tesla's Hammer fleets remains spirited, according to Admiralty officials, but our sources suggest that the Admiralty believes that all three of the currently besieged Devoted worlds of Aichi, Vilani, and Archon will likely fall within the next deciim or two.

"If so, they will likely join the list of new frontier worlds available for settlement by enterprising pioneers shortly after that. It is expected that the Admiralty will continue its heretofore standard policy of protecting new colonies by aggressive action against further Zuul colonies in order to pin the Devoted into a defensive stance. Some concerns have been raised to this end regarding the bypassed Devoted colony world of Iszm, over fears that it may be able to construct or at least provide a base of operations for a potential counter-attack. However, the Admiralty believes that such concerns are premature, if not ill-founded, as the world is still in the early stages of Zuul-forming. They have issued a statement that Iszm will be under periodic monitoring by Tesla's Hammer assets and, should it become a potential threat, will be dealt with appropriately.

"On to the spinward arm. Foreign Minister Jacob Marlowe announced this morning at 0900 that, bowing to ongoing pressure from the Liir and Morrigi governments, two newly-constructed fleets will be sent to assist in offensive operations against the Imperial Armada. Protector Simon Oliveri also issued a statement indicating his deep regret that negotiations with the Tarka government at the highest levels have consistently failed to produce any results since the Talos incursion, leading to the reluctant conclusion that the Imperial Armada would respond only to force.

"The initial targets of these two fleets were not publicized, but pundits agree that Chiskatet is likely to be a high priority target, both to simplify defensive logistics for the frontier world Naupilos, as well as to synchronize with Liirian efforts to counter the Tarkasian presence there. When asked for comment, the Liirian ambassador expressed joy and enthusiasm that Edict fleets would be joining forces with Liirian ones to contain the Imperial Armada.

"Of further note in the Foreign Ministry's announcement this morning was an indication that an unspecified defensive garrison fleet would be routed to Ko'Velan, in order to assist with the defense of the Morrigi colony there against an incoming Imperial Armada assault fleet. The routing the fleet would take was also left unspecified, although pundits point out that the nearby Tarkasian colony of Keu'Kessu was until recently a Morrigi colony, and speculate that the rerouting of this garrison may be intended to have more than one anticipated result. In any case, the Morrigi ambassador issued a press release early this afternoon indicating his government's great pleasure to welcome any support the Edict might offer in the defense of their beleaguered and now isolated colony at Ko'Velan.

"Concerns that the Naupilos settlement might be deprived of orbital cover at a time when a Hiver gate fleet was only a few deciim from arriving in-system were met with the promise that any such gap in orbital defense coverage would only be for a brief interval, and that additional garrison forces would be re-based to Naupilos, if necessary, to maintain a defensive presence there in case of unexpected incursions. The Hiver ambassador declined to comment on the matter, other than to note that his Queen has always had peaceful relations with other races as her primary diplomatic objective, and is thus distressed to see otherwise civilized beings resort to war to settle differences.

"Finally, in a separate statement released this afternoon, the Foreign Ministry announced that there will be no formalized colonization program following up the offensive against the Imperial Armada. Referencing Morrigi prior claims in the area, foreign minister Marlowe indicated that an overly-hasty takeover of Imperial Armada space would be 'irresponsible' and would doubtless exascerbate tensions with other races. Instead, he called upon the other races to work together toward the creation of a forum where the region could be administered fairly and equitably, in joint fashion. He further promised that any Edict settlements established in Tarkasian space would be of the most diffident in number.

"In other news, stock markets reached another record high today on futures in the transport sector, as well as commodities which the transport sector serves. Colonial outposts in the anti-spinward arm are now starting to enter the trade economy, bringing new luxury products to market based on former specimens of Zuul ecology, modified to suit Jinx-like climates.

"Labour markets are abuzz with the news that the latest graduate class from several prominent universities include a much higher proportion of Tarkasian speakers than had previously been the case. This news, combined with the war announcements, have prompted speculation that the supply of Tarkasian curiosities may soon be on the rise.

"However, unsubstantiated rumors persist that the Protector's office is putting together a quiet, but very generous subsidy program for manufacturers of dairy, aromatic wood, and olfactory art products. Markets for these products have not been especially noteworthy in the past, especially since the nearest Matriarchate of Che'Kor colonies are so far distant; as such, pundits disagree on what gains might be had by ramping up these industries. The only thing that they agree on is that, if these rumors prove well-founded, any intended benefit likely involves the Hivers in some way.

"Next, the local news, sports, and weather..."
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 am

Fleets disposition, annotated. The Edict will almost certainly be building more fleets for the Tarka front, and may invest further in naval construction techs once the current round of Tarka/Hiver xenotechs completes.

Diplomatic overview -- note the Hivers are now allied with the Tarka and have been for some turns. I have some plans to try to drive a wedge between the Hivers and the Tarka, but I'm still reliant on the various AIs to try to make peace with the Liir before I can invite them to join any sort of club, and so far none of the other races seem to be very eager about the prospect. Hopefully I can at least get the Hivers onboard... I really would prefer not to have to send ships all the way to the very end of *both* arms to get my intended alliance victory here.

The fact that I haven't formally allied yet with the Liir doesn't really mean much, as I've maxed out my relations with them and can get an alliance anytime I want. I just don't want the Liir to know how much of the Zuul arm I'm claiming for myself when they haven't bothered to do anything in that area themselves recently.

And, of course, the save file...
Zed's TARs (sample):

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Personal Journal, Marta Kelli, March 2nd, 2486

The visions are coming faster now, but seem to represent smaller discrete chunks of time... at least for some.

The Tesla Edict is heavily embroiled in prosecuting the war against the Zuul - in this shard, the Faithful and the Devoted both still present a threat. They also seem to have reluctantly made the decision to engage Tarkan interests in hopes of providing both expansion room for the other races in that arm of the cluster and to avoid protracted hostilities in the future. Diplomacy is an extension of war, etc. Their economy is strong, with nearly half of their freighters in service being the highly capable megafreighters, and they've made a great deal of progress on regaining the technology lost with the Tesla.

The University continues along their path of rediscovering technology. Continued hostilities with the Liir make that difficult, as does the Liir's technological edge. However, constant vigilance and sheer human bloody-mindedness have done wonders in defending both Azar and Ololobu against Cruiser fleets using only Destroyers. Recent rediscovery of FTL Economics has seen them start to develop trade networks; although it is limited at the current time, I expect those to expand and improve the economy significantly. The colonies at Hynek and Braal are still developing, but the rest of their 12 worlds are fully built-up, barring casualties at the worlds in contention. Sadly, it is quite possible that the Liir may never forgive the Tesla University for their transgressions; once they decide you are 'Winter-minded', they are hard to convince otherwise, although it has happened before.

The Unifiers have continued with their program to improve their combat capabilities; Battle Computers and UV Lasers make for more powerful fleets, while Orbital Foundries is helping them to produce faster. Recent efforts have allowed them to build fast Pursuit ships. They currently (what an odd word to use in this context, given how time seems to be mixed up in these visions of different shards) have 9 worlds, two of which are still developing, but they are definitely past the danger point of economic collapse. A cause for worry, however, is the large fleet of the Servants incoming to Lupus. (Strangely enough, in this shard the Servants took the Devoted's surrender, rather than the other way around.)

I don't know if Jaime's decided to do anything with the simulator file I set up for him; he does have many demands on his time. I just thought it might be an interesting diversion for him. (Yes, I know he's an AI, but he presents a very masculine personality. I suppose it's those old novels he's downloaded, that age of sail stuff by some guy named Trees or Forest or something like that. What was the main character... Captain Hornplayer?)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 pm

SYSTEM REPORT - JME-104
Task queue completion - 83%
Ongoing tasks require 18% processor/21% memory utilization
Additional resources will not speed ongoing tasks
Projections for upcoming tasks: 0 in next 100k cycles/10% of 2-5 in 100k-200k cycles
Prioritization programming satisfied; leisure time programming is in effect
Commence program 'Shattered'...

Personal Journal, Jaime Tenfor
This is an interesting concept, and I'm glad Marta presented it to me. I shall approach this as a role-playing exercise; the practice should help me in my ongoing efforts to appear more human-like. As such, I've crafted a randomisation routine which should prevent me from making the optimal decision at every point.

Aboard the SFS Nikola Tesla wrote:"No response from the planet, Captain. The defence satellites are recognizing our transponder, apparently, although their telemetry readings show no missile stocks remaining and most of them barely have enough power to transmit, let alone fire off their Gauss Cannon."

"Thank you, Mr. Han. Seeing as they're almost useless, let's go ahead and retrieve them. If nothing else, we can refurbish them and redeploy later." Sharon MacInnis rubbed her temples. "Astrogation, continue trying to fix our position. I want to see all department heads in my briefing room in 15 minutes... I think our situation just got worse."

30 minutes later
"So that's the situation in Engineering, Captain. Somehow our antimatter stocks are becoming denatured and are transforming to normal matter. I've never seen anything like it, and the computer just returns nothing when I try and research it. Our power requirements are too high for anything short of a Fusion plant to keep us in orbit, of course; and we don't really have the facilities to build one, unless the planet can assist." Dan Simonson, the Chief Engineer, looked hopefully at the Captain.

"Sounds like we're jinxed," commented Astrogation Chief Leslie Harris.

Sharon rolled her eyes. "Are you suggesting that for the name of the planet, Leslie?"

"Well, we can't just keep calling it 'the planet'; the homesteaders down there probably don't have a name for it, if our flyby reports are accurate. The settlements are all concerned with basic agrarian needs. I don't know if they're a group of Renouncers, or if something happened; except for the old defsats, there's no sign of technology here. I suppose they could have been subjected to a nano-plague attack, although I'm surprised the satellites are still in place if that's the case." Han Shirong ticked off points on his fingers as he spoke, one of his habits when he was trying to organize his thoughts.

"Hmm. Jinx it is, then... until we find out if the people have a different name for it." Sharon blinked as a wave of vertigo swept over her. "Next thing is to establish contact with one of the settlements and see if we can get these people to help us establish an industrial base." She swallowed as a second wave swept over her, and noted that several others around the room seemed to be feeling something, as well.

"Captain? I'm feeling unwell..." commented the Astrochief.

"As am I, Leslie. I suppose we should check in with Medical. Mr. Han, please recover any information about rapid technological development from an agrarian base from the library and put it in hardcopy; I'm not sure we want to trust the pads if we might run out of power soon. Mr. Simonson, begin plans to transfer as much material to the surface as possible utilizing our shuttles and whatever we can cobble up. Mr. Harris, we'll need an observatory on the planet's surface..."

Tesla Day Celebration, 11 years after Rediscovery (Year 1 of the Return to Space)

"My fellow citizens of the Terran Conclave, it is with great pride that we announce that our civilization has recovered to the point of being starfaring once again! Sadly, our benefactors of the SFS Nikola Tesla did not live to see this day, due to the strange ailment that overtook them. Still, they made great strides while here and helped to bring our people to the point where we could advance without them.

"As you know, our ancestors settled here many years ago. Vague legends talk of clouds appearing from a clear sky and devouring the works of our ancestors. Thanks to the crew of the Tesla, we now know that this was a tailored plague of microscopic robots which devoured all of the plastics and advanced alloys composing the vehicles and buildings they built. The resulting dust-storms caused severe changes in the planetary weather, and reduced our population to mere subsistence levels. We still see the effects in our long, cold winters.

"As your newly elected Director, I am proud to announce that we have managed to power the computer core of the Tesla, and we expect many wonderful technologies to emerge from it. Unfortunately, there seems to be something of a problem with the indexing function. We're working on it, but it may take quite some time to resolve, especially with the programmed safeguards. Still, we have managed to recover information that will allow us to develop the technology to safely suspend a person's life-functions while they travel between the stars. This should give us an edge in colonizing the planets which we know are out there in our local cluster. Today is the first day of our Return to Space!"

As the crowd erupted in cheering, Richard James Hornblower stepped down from the podium while signaling the band to begin playing. Faith Wallace, his Executive, accompanied him as he walked off the stage. "Do you really think it will be soon, Director? I thought the projection was 5 years before we could get the suspan chambers online."

"Yes, well, you can't say that to a crowd at a celebration, can you? Besides, we don't even have any recon ships out yet. They're just laying the keels to the first half-dozen now. We should have them ready before we have to send any colonists out, which is all they'll remember." Director Hornblower led his aide through the throng, heading back towards the limousine. "Let's get back to the office... I know this sort of public appearance is expected - Galaxy knows the Tesla crew put up with it, even after they knew their time was limited - but there's too much to do, and not enough hours in the day."

Faith put her hand on his arm. "Richard... I know you're anxious to get things moving... but it's Tesla Day. And you, more than anyone, need to relax. Besides... I had Maintenance change the door-codes for today. Even I don't know what they are, so you can't get back into the office. Take the day off, like everyone else. I know I'm going to."

Conclave News Network Special Report, 8 Planting 6

"The Conclave Directorate has announced the launch of the new Mark Two Colonizer vessel, with Suspended Animation technology. This promises to speed the development of any colonies founded. And speaking of colonies, the Directorate has also announced that a habitable world, designated Cargg, has been found by one of the first wave of scout vessels. Although population pressures are not yet great in this year of 6 RS, experts forecast that there soon may be issues finding enough elbow room. Fortunately, there appears to be no shortage of star systems nearby for us to - hopefully - settle."

Conclave News Network, 13 Landing 8

"Seven years and 12 days after we began our Return to Space, the Terran Conclave has announced that we have established another world for our people. Although the landing was originally planned for Tesla Day - 1 Landing - it had to be delayed due to an attack by strange, bird-like ships from the planet's surface. The Directorate has issued a statement that this menace - which the Core only identifies as 'Black 14' - is a robotic relic left by a long-vanished species, and that measures to ensure the safety of colonists are being investigated."

Overheard on a street corner in Conclave City, Jinx, 16 Snowfall 13

"I just got a letter from my sister on Hitomi... apparently there wasn't any trouble landing there and setting up the colony. They've got a lot of hard work ahead of them, true, but it's gotta be exciting. Still seems funny how my older sister is now biologically younger than me, though... guess those suspan chambers really work!"

Report of the Conclave Science Department, 22 Research 17

... although it has been a long, difficult task to extract the relevant data from the mainframe, in combination with our own original research it has finally proved fruitful. Attached find a report on methods of genetically modifying colonists to adapt their respiration systems for alien atmospheres. This should broaden the range of planets which we can settle and should improve the birthrates of colonists on all of our worlds due to side-effects of the treatment. In addition, we have developed new means of terraforming - see appendix A - as a result of our new understanding of the respiratory cycle in humans...

Broadsheet posted on a building in Darkbird, the capital city of Cargg, 7 Icemelt 22

These so-called Rippers attacked Hyperion without provocation! Call your Representative today and encourage him to vote with all right-thinking Terrans... Black 13 must be eliminated for the future safety of the Conclave!

Conclave News Network, "Meet the Scientists", 14 Harvest 23

Dr. Maris Tenkatsu: "In light of the discovery some time ago of the asteroid-mining menace known popularly
as 'The Swarm', the Science Department was tasked with finding some method of dealing with small, fast moving targets. Our first step has been to develop a new type of capacitor to allow our Gauss weaponry to fire more rapidly. While this will help to increase the firepower of our ships, it's only a beginning. Next, we are going to need to work out a method of tracking multiple targets moving at a high rate of speed..."

Harold Davis (Host): "Dr. Tenkatsu, isn't it true that these systems could also be used to provide a defense against missile-armed enemy empires? Say, for example, Black 13?"

Dr. Tenkatsu: "Yes, that's true, Harold. A point-defense system that can reliably track Swarm drones could also do the same for missiles, or the colony-trap drones of Black 14."

Harold: "Couldn't that be seen as provocation? We're already suffering from attacks on our outer colonies..."

Dr. Tenkatsu: "The system has no possible offensive use... logically, one should not be threatened by it. I believe such thinking is alarmist."

Infoblurb, 25 Growth 27

Exciting opportunities on the newly opened world of Lupus abound! Do you have the pioneering spirit? If you believe so, contact your Conclave Resettlement Office for testing!

Terradyne Laboratories, 30 Learning 32

Michel Fieras stuck his head in the door of the lead Engineer's office. "Thom? I think I've solved the burnout problem on the laser-diodes."

Thomas Ellis looked up at the announcement. "Really, Mike? Not like last time, I hope."

Michel chuckled. "C'mon, you know the 'feline heat absorber' was a Learning-day joke... it's tradition! Anyway, no... I worked up a heat-pipe system that feeds into a thermoclinic current generator. Not only does it keep the LDs cool enough to avoid burnout - even under 110% load - it also reduces the amount of initialization power needed by 7%." The young engineer handed over a sheaf of drawings.

Thom leafed through the drawings, his skeptical expression gradually giving way to a thoughtful expression. "This looks like it would solve the problems, sure enough. Good thinking; I was afraid we'd have to increase the size of the system to account for the necessary cooling. I'll pass this upstairs with my recommendation we adopt it immediately. And you'll probably get a bonus from it."

"Nice! Tara's been talking about getting some new furniture, that'll come in handy."

"Between this rapid-fire Laser and the low-caliber Gauss system they developed at Ironstorm, there should be something for those PD Tracking computers the boffins dreamed up to direct. Nice work, Mike."

Conclave Resettlement Office, 13 Deepwhite 37

"Tori... c'mon... you know we said we'd do this when we got old enough!" The young man pleaded with the equally-young woman seated next to him, as the Resettlement Officer looked on with an expression of boredom.

"I know, Jon, I know... but I didn't think the ship would be leaving on the 15th... I want to spend Gifting Day with my parents one last time! It's not like I'm ever going to see them again once we leave for the colonies..."

The young man's jaw set. "If you won't go with me, I'll go alone. I gotta get outta here, Tori... you're smart enough to continue school, but I don't have those kind of brains. And there's not much for someone to do with his hands around here, at least as far as building trades goes... I need to be on the frontier where I'll be useful!"

Tears began to well up in her eyes. "You'd... leave me? But Jon..."

"'But Jon' nothing! I don't wanna be a doler all my life, sweetie, and you know I can't go on with learning stuff... and everything's already built here on Cargg! I mean, I guess we could go to Hitomi, but that's pretty hopeless too... although at least they're still buildin' the infrastructure. They might be finished by the time we get there, though. No, it's gotta be the frontier for me..."

Tori wiped her eyes, and her face firmed up with resolve. "Go, then. You won't be happy here... and I won't be happy out there. I'm sorry, Jon. It seemed romantic when we were younger, but... I need to be somewhere where I can keep learning, so I can contribute as well."

She walked to the door, and without turning her head, said "Goodbye...", her voice breaking on the final syllable. Jon watched her leave, moisture starting at the corners of his eyes.

"So... resettlement for one, then?" asked the functionary.

Conclave News Network, 31 Growth 43

... the colony at Azar continues to grow at the expected rate after being settled 3 years ago. In other news, reports have been received from Conclave Fleet authorities that the Zuul - once known as Black 13 - have been cleared from the system Baltar, at the edge of the Core Cluster. Conclave Resettlement has announced that it is low on the list for colonization due to the high climate hazard, but that colonists should be landing on Hynek in the next few months.

Turning to the technology news, Conclave Science Chief Dr. Maris Tenkatsu announced that the long-awaited breakthrough in computer technology had been completed. While the initial application of these high-powered computers will be in Fleet operations - allowing for better command and control of assets in combat - potential commercial spinoffs are 'numerous and likely in the near future', as she stated earlier today.

Silicoid Queen invades Jinx, 35 Landing 50

"Here they come again!" shouted the Tactical Officer on the TCS Hopeful Future.

Lieutenant Takamoto Shiro winced as the sound reverberated in the small command center. "Divert power to point-defense lasers! Order the fleet to close on the mothership... we need to take her out before she burrows into that asteroid she's close to!"

"Aye aye, Captain. Relaying fleet orders now."

The Hopeful Future shuddered as another blast of fusing plasma hit the hull. Wish we had better armor, mused the young Captain. I don't think it's on the agenda anytime soon, though... too many lost technologies.

The battle raged on...

Conclave News Network, "Comments and Critiques", 9 Research 51

Jorge Salvanas, Host: "Go ahead, caller, you're on live, so please self-censor."

Caller: "I'm calling about the Swarm Hive that still infesting our asteroid belt. When's the Fleet going to find that thing and get rid of it? What's the use of our spending all that money developing a Command and Control ship, if they can't even stop the Queen from establishing a Hive in the first place? I mean, really... isn't it time to elect a new Director who can get things done?"

Jorge: "Well, it is true that the Fleet was unable to stop the Queen from establishing the Hive. However, considering the losses we've taken in the past against the Swarm, only losing 4 ships was a clear proof of the success of the new Squadron CNC vessels. And with a modest investment in weaponry, I'm sure that upgraded versions would be capable of stopping a Queen without a new Hive being placed. The fleet is probing the asteroids for the Hive, but there are a lot of rocks out there to look at; it may take some time.

"As for the Directorate, well, we here at C&C don't take sides in politics... we leave that to our listeners."

Letter to Tori Stokely, 34 Storage 54

It's hard to believe I have time to write you, Tori. It's been pretty busy since we landed on Syrma last year, working on building the infrastructure for the colony and getting the terraforming going. The land is... well, it's not that pretty... but it will be. There are a few spots, though, that are worth taking a second look at.

I know we didn't part on the best terms, but there really wasn't anything for me on Cargg... except you. But here, I'm part of something bigger than me, and I'm really helping out. Much better than trying to be a handyman or something back there.

Home is here now. I, uh... I met someone. She's a terraforming tech... not as smart as you, but still smarter than me. I guess I like girls like that. I helped her set up some kinda atmosphere processing plant and we hit it off, so we've been seeing a bunch of each other. She asked me to marry her and I said yes; she even did the whole traditional giving me a ring thing. (Okay, so it was a worn-out bushing... we don't have any jewelers here yet.) I always thought I wasn't much for the old ways, but that really choked me up.

I never got to say it before, but... thanks for not standing in my way, Tori. Goodbye.

Jon Walker (soon to be Walker-Smith)

Inter-office memo, Conclave Science Department, 18 Learning 59

To: All
Re: Who thought it was a good idea to install a Galaxy-damned videogame?!?!?! on the research systems? The thing spawned so many VMs and junk processes it slowed our research into the Zuul language by a whole year! The Director is asking questions! And with the increased hostilities between the Liir and our exploration teams, we need to get on their language stat; we should have already started!

Seriously - if I find out who it was - heads will roll. Consider yourselves on notice.

Conclave News Network, 35 Planting 60

Citizens of the Conclave are relieved knowing that Fleet elements - including the newly returned Psi Fleet - engaged the long-established Swarm Hive in the asteroid belt at Jinx yesterday. Only a single destroyer was lost in the engagement, and the Swarm Hive was eliminated. Also, good news on the diplomatic front, as the Science Department announced that they had managed to decipher the rudiments of Liir language, which they say is called 'FleetSong'; they caution that it may be some time before any higher vocabulary is translated, however.

Conclave Fleet Intelligence report, 21 Storage 62

Examination of the after-action reports and recordings from the action at Serenity by Upsilon Fleet II indicates that although the world was known to be a holding of the Servants, it was in the possession of a group of Zuul called 'The Faithful' when they arrived. This, coupled with lack of recent Servants transmissions reported by our listening stations, proves that the Servants have ceased to exist as an Empire and have been supplanted by the Faithful. Estimates put this as happening two years plus or minus six months ago.

The recent translation algorithms provided by Science Department will be a great help in allowing FleetIntel to gather more information on the Tarka. Fortunately incursions by this race seem to be rare at this time, but information is ammunition.

Conclave News Network, 3 Icemelt 67

Psi Fleet seems to be gaining a reputation as the 'Swarm Killers'! The celebrated defenders of Jinx, out on a routine exploration patrol, discovered a Swarm infestation at Canopus and removed while losing only a single ship. According to Fleet sources, all escape pods were recovered after the battle, and a number of rare elements were recovered as well. It's rumored that the easy victory was due in part to the newly-developed Shaped-charge Nuclear Warhead missiles deployed by the Fleet.

Report of the Director, 1 Landing 75

... the Conclave continues to progress, if not, perhaps, as rapidly as might be wished. The recent development of a heavier chassis for missile defenses should prove to make our colonies safer, and work proceeds apace on an even heavier warhead, with enhanced gamma radiation emissions.

Seven of our ten worlds are fully terraformed and have their primary infrastructure completed. Cargg and Hitomi, our earliest colonies, are developing what I've termed 'secondary infrastructure', with concommitent effects on productivity and economy.

It is the opinion of this office that economic expansion is our next biggest hurdle. Accordingly, a small team has been working to extract data on trade from the Core, and it will become our next priority project once the current research is finished.

Diplomatic talks with the Liir and Tarka have resulted in cease-fire agreements; our scouts, at least, need not fear meeting with ships of those two races at neutral systems. Strangely, neither race seems to believe such agreements mean anything at inhabited worlds; odd, that. Greater efforts into understanding these aliens might yield more substantial benefits.

PRIORITY QUEUE TASK INSERTION DETECTED
Saving progress...
Shutting down program 'Shattered'...
Redirecting processor/memory resources to priority task queue...

((EDIT: Now with 100% more save-file!))
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:09 pm

ZedF wrote:
The_Unificator wrote:finally i finish my turnset, i am trying to upload the report but mediafire is against me :( , once i upload the report there i will add it here

EDIT: the report: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?14ek1c466j5f72s

Hiya Unificator,
I think you're having troubles uploading your report because, with all those images, it's pretty huge. You might want to compress it before uploading the file and just post a link to the compressed report. I don't think mediafire gives you a really big upload/download pipe to work with.

Also, I'm curious, what's your plan for that 12 million credits you have kicking around? That's quite a retirement fund! You might want to take some of those credits out of your slush fund and build a few scouts to start exploring a bit again. :)

you are right ZedF, i will try your suggestion about mediafire, as for the 12 million i will use them for building more warships i have to crush the Zuul or they will crush me, and also i will explore a bit more, i really need more colonies
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Starknight wrote:Inter-office memo, Conclave Science Department, 18 Learning 59

To: All
Re: Who thought it was a good idea to install a Galaxy-damned videogame?!?!?! on the research systems? The thing spawned so many VMs and junk processes it slowed our research into the Zuul language by a whole year! The Director is asking questions! And with the increased hostilities between the Liir and our exploration teams, we need to get on their language stat; we should have already started!

Seriously - if I find out who it was - heads will roll. Consider yourselves on notice.

All excellent Starknight. This part in particular had me LMAO! :lol:

Return to “T.A.R.”