RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by ZedF » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 am

The backstory: As part of a cosmic game show, Q teleports several splinter factions of various races into a pocket dimension arena where they can have a battle royale. The catch is that periodically, one of the least interesting contesting races gets voted out of existence! This is sure to keep the action hot...

Player Rotation: PaulMcC, PvtNutter, Purplemarmot, Abyss
NOTE: There is still room for additional players if anyone is interested!

The setup: The first two rounds are non-scoring rounds of 25 turns each. I will ask Abyss to pilot for these two rounds, which is why he's at the end of the player rotation. In the first round Abyss will play a random race, and in the second round he'll play as the lowest ranking race at the load-in screen. His job for these two rounds will be to just play normally and try to grow his empire as best he can, bearing in mind the AI will likely take over afterwards. Reporting is NOT required for the setup rounds, though Abyss is free to do so if he wants. The main goal is to get things set up reasonably quickly so general play can begin.

The play: Rounds are 25 turns apiece. Every round, the current player takes over the position of the faction with the lowest ranking on the load-in screen, except that the same faction may not be played twice in a row. Said faction must attempt to do as much damage as possible to its highest ranking neighbor empire with whom it shares a border or can otherwise reasonably attack. The player will need to be sure to post, at minimum, before-and-after screenshots from the point of view of the faction he played, though of course more description and characterization is better! After all, the fate of your faction might well rest with your efforts to chronicle their deeds of glory. 8) As a point of order, please try to take your turns within 2 days of your turn coming up, or ask for a skip or a swap if you can't play for any reason.

Every full rotation of the player roster, the players gather together and vote on which race is The Weakest Link, which shall be eliminated from play! Each player gets three votes as follows:
- Faction with the most successful attack or most impenetrable defense: +1 point
- Faction with the most pitiful attack or most porous defense: -1 point
- Most entertaining faction or Judge's whimsy: +1 point
The surviving faction with the fewest points after voting is declared to be The Weakest Link, and is ejected into the void. Said faction will immediately surrender and play will then continue with the next round. In the event of a tie, I will cast the deciding vote.

Of course, factions can also be eliminated by the other factions, in addition to being voted out of existence...

Here are the contestants:
Gully Foyle (Human)
Imperial Hive (Hiver)
Varrush Wing (Tarka)
Painful Burden (Liir)
The Nameless (Zuul)
Amenopheos the Holy (Morrigi)
Song of Fire (Liir)
The Director (Human)

And the save file...
Last edited by ZedF on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

PvtNutter

Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by PvtNutter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 am

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am

Sounds awesome. The short term swapping approach is going to change the faction strategy quite a bit. It sounds like you basically have 25 turns to have the biggest military impact you can. Screw trading, don't both with research unless you can leverage the advantage pretty quickly, etc. Humm, overharvest...

Looking forward to this!

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:18 pm

I'll get right on it! (And I'll try to provide some RP back story to it all.)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 pm

As a side note, Abyss, please provide a general overview, from a faction-neutral point of view, of how the game stands after you are done your setup phase. This will allow the players (and interested bystanders) to make somewhat informed wagers on the eventual win/place/show (1st/2nd/3rd) place finishers before actual play begins. The stakes are, of course, only bragging rights, but I figure it might be an added motivation and entertainment factor. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 am

Wow, this seems like a lot of fun, do you mind if I join in?

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 am

We should have room. And why aren't you in rotation zedf? Or are you deliberately DMing for us?

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 am

Oho, 10 planets start, sphere, 20 planets per player star map... Not only this is going to be very messy, but we'll even be able to play with the big guns! :D

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 am

The latter, PvtNutter. :)

Also, I've added Blue to the roster.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Introduction

“We are the collective, the masters, the all and the creators. We are the Suul’…”
“Gary! You put in the wrong recording!” barked an unspeakably charming voice. “Let’s try that again, shall we?”

A warm womanly voice comes over the intercom and there is an insignificant buzz over the words. The technology is so developed that the message is being broadcast in the many alien common and elite languages simultaneously through the default English.

“Welcome to St. Claire’s Space Consultants, a no bias solution to your everyday exterminating needs. Whether you need advice on going lancers or mass drivers, how many raiders to use for a trade route or simply picking between red or green lasers we are your solution! Our many qualified professionals will assist you in whatever space venture you choose. Our previous credits include assisting the Hivers with the Nova Maria, the annihilation of that Hiver faction by the Humans, a buildup of an imperial Tarkasian empire, the near extinction of the Morrigi by [redacted] and the development of the slave trade by the Zuul. All clients are equal and we hold no judgment on your needs or goals. We help you get where you want to go by giving you the tools and advice. Thank you for choosing St. Claire’s Space Consultants, we hope you enjoy your stay and please be mindful of your possible hated neighbors in the waiting room.”

“I hate that redacted clip, can’t we just put in ‘Liir’ instead, we haven’t consulted them on anything, yet?” said a uniformed man sitting in a cubicle.

“Right, because that would make sense. Just stick to your requisition orders, Gary.” The last word in the sentence had contempt etched into it. “What is our next job? We haven’t had one in years.” This was the voice of St. Claire, the trillionaire mogul who sold his strategic services for as much as most empires had invested in dreadnought technology. As rumor held they were often worth it, so much so that not much more money was needed to be invested into better tech, the name St. Claire often struck fear into the opponents’ hearts and would surrender after a few decades.

“We have a battle arena, sir, eight factions vying for control of a galaxy. In addition, sir, we’ve been paid in full for all factions to the total of…fifty…trillion. Someone likes to watch a good show.” Gary was slow with the words of the amount. It was larger than they had ever seen, and to think he was only being paid $100/hr, minimum wage in his current home of Sword Beach, outside of regulated space. Everything cost more here, everything. Back home on Titan he remembered being able to get a Doritos Loco taco from Taco Hell for only $19.95, here on Sword it was nearly $40.

“Sounds like the right amount. Care to take bets on the survivor, Gary? I’ll give you one-tenth of one percent of the profits if you guess in the top three.” St. Claire spoke softly, he didn’t care about a billion dollars, even if it was in cash, he just wanted to give up the hopes of his lowly secretary. “You could stand to buy a few more of those greasy tacos if you win.”

Gary pondered for a while, his brain was being torn in eight directions, but he only needed to get in the top three. He decided to be quick and smart. “I’ll pick the humans!” he shouted with glee. There were two human factions in this battle arena, so his chances were at least doubled.

“Smart, very well. Now I know who to give the worst advice to.” And with that St. Claire hit the button on his personal transfer pod which he had climbed into while Gary was thinking about his choice. The pod, shaped like an elongated egg, shot out of the space station module and towards a large ship located just outside the small gravitational field of the station.

The massive ship he docked with had no weapons to speak of, he was always proud of his non-combatant style of consulting, but it was laden with the most up to date jamming, deep scan, quantum chaff and cloaking technology. Its adamantium plating was thicker than most destroyers were wide and a miniaturized generator produced enough power for a dual layer shield which blocked most any projectile or mass driver. In the past it has almost gone down when two asteroids from siege drivers rammed into the engine, but St. Claire had held on to the ship and only had to deal with the loss of a few thousand minimum wage workers.

The bridge was manned by himself and his highest paid staff (they made over $500 an hour) and to them he was like a king when on deck, but they diverted to their younger and more foolish selves with him on world or on station.

“Pull up the manifest, “said St. Claire “I want to see who we have to deal with first.”

A summary of turns forthcoming.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Alone in the universe, or so the humans thought.

But here are the "players" of this battle arena, out there, somewhere.

St. Claire surveys the battle field and decides that this would be an inappropriate time to comment on the civility of the races. As is customary ships are redesigned with their class and weapon along with the speed of the ship as the model number. Something like ARGS 4.1 was created as an armor gauss ships which goes 4 light years per year (while node traveling). A smattering of extended range vessels is produced along the ten colonies in order to survey how much of a resistance we'll have in the beginning. In addition to the extended ranges during the first two years, small fleets of tankers and extended ranges are build up so as to explore the shorter node lines with more efficiency. St. Claire knows that sending 300 men into the abyss of space to be nothing but a glorified picket a few years later is an ill fate, but that's why so many ships tend to accept both genders as ensigns.

It should be noted that Gully Foyle, our current customer, has ten colonies. This is well over what most small empires possess. Instead of the usual gene modification, and because we've discovered hostile neighbors, we opt for battle computers. [The decision for this was that after running into The Director faction I attempted to do some diplomatic communications, but alas, we are all on our own teams and there is only war between us.] System defenses are prepared with 4 basic armor models each, this thwarts any ER attempts by the other races and gives me a little bit of a buffer.

St. Claire sits down in his comfy chair, a LazyBoy 3000, specifically imported from a vault which still existed on the husk of planet Earth, and opened up a communication link. It was the crew of the 5th ERGS 4.1 and they were celebrating with glee. Their news was that they had just defeated an alien derelict and were reporting that additional research was coming to our scientists.

Independent colonies were discovered, both belonging to Tarkas, the lizards will have to wait another day since they were only approached by scouts. Eventually we interact with the Liir and some poor sap of a scout discovers the Zuul. 300 souls lost, but it is a paltry sum to someone who has seen billions lost in a blink of an eye. The Swarm is found at Kaa'Valu and a build up is ordered for some more defensive Hammerhead fleets. Battle computers come in and some pristine CnCGS 4.1s are commissioned.

By year seven we accidentally discover the independent colony of Athina, ripe for the taking. The independent colonists see the emblem of St. Claire's consultants on the ER's hull and quickly surrender peacefully to Gully Foyle. But to defend the colony a fleet of ERs are created, for they are the only ones that can make the long node jumps to her.

Another Derelict is taken out at Hynek, which is close enough to our Homeworld by proximity and has a low enough CH to be worthwhile as a colony. As Mass Drivers are researched Gene Modification is next and completed within the year. Due to growing concerns over the range of our fleets, I've decided to commission the project of Pulsed Fission drives, it'll give better tactical speed as well as strategic. With these new found weapons, St. Claire's mind starts whirring with possibilities, it's only been one decade, but we have the funds to start building a planetary assault fleet, 2 in fact.

By year twelve and thirteen we've started research on orbital foundries and have built an expeditionary force to go looking for trouble near our homeworld. The unfortunate consequence of our position is that the homeworld is no where near any of our other colonies by node lines "as the crow flies." It takes several years to reach the nearest and it is often too late to consider. So they must create their own fleets for expeditions into hostile territory. Pickets are also commissioned to fly around and sit on a planet for several years and report back to base should anything the size of space junk start floating their way.

By year sixteen both planetary assault fleets are headed to their destinations, one to the Song of Fire controlled Na'may'shu and the other to The Director controlled Lupus (it's always lupus jokes were thrown around the entire trip, I loaded everyone of those bastards into the first assault shuttle). Cruiser construction is being researched by the next year and more MD fleets are queued up for reserves and a possible third assault fleet.

By year nineteen those Lupus jokers weren't so funny, but they weren't far off. [I unfortunately didn't colonize Lupus right off, due to a glitch in my thought process of waiting for them to go independent and reclaim, because I've been doing that in progression wars, but then I realized I was human and the population wouldn't flee due to climate hazard]

Despite having the charm and sway of Aphrodite, The Director would not give up Terra in a surrender versus overwhelming force. It too was destroyed.

The Liir also lose their colony.

The Zuul try to butt in to the destroyed Liir colony and want a ceasefire during combat, I wipe them out.

By year twenty-one I've prepared another planetary assault fleet at Serpens and do some small skirmishes and exploration. I send colonizers over to Lupus and Na'may'shu. By the time I realize I want to attack Diphida I see 45 ships incoming to Serpens. The Planetary Assault fleet quickly becomes the Planetary Defense fleet. Meanwhile, Expeditionary Fleet 1, which so thoroughly took out Terra, also takes out a Swarm encounter. They have fuel issues, so I may commission a few rescue tankers. In the same way, the fleet at Lupus had been stranded for a few turns. Later, the Expedition I encounters a similar fleet send out by The Director and they are summarily executed. Now the tanker issue is out of the question, they are a glorified picket.

In my ramblings I had forgotten that by year 23 Planetary Assault fleet 2 had reached the Morrigi held Mitrou. By the next year both Serpens and Mitrou battles were concluded.
[This was eventually won with the remainder of the fleet to Diphida]

The final year, year twenty five, included a finale battle at Diphida which ended with damage done but a relatively lost cause due to the decreased amount of ships available. Cruisers were researched, however, and Strikeforce CnC was due to come in at any moment.

Final outlook of Gully Foyle: Got to CRs with Mass Drivers as a weapon. Destroyed 3 major worlds, 2 minor. Claimed one independent colony, colonized two others with another on the way. Built up the largest navy in the galaxy, for the first 25 years.

Next race is Song of Fire, which are much less entertaining.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Doing a hard burn in the Dreadnought never got any easier, but it was time for St. Claire to be presented with a new challenge. Gully Foyle had carved out a name for himself in the edges of space and time, and it had only been twenty-five years! Thankfully, St. Claire's android computer was ageless, and the exterior of his nearly perfect human male body never showed age. His newest client, the Song of Fire, had gotten themselves into some trouble. Their first question was if I had had any experience with the humans that took their perfect world of Na'may'shu. I vehemently denied such an accusation, to keep up appearances of course.

The Liir were in a sad state, they had lost colonies and were dead last in many respects.

St. Claire's tenure with the Liir was almost too long, he could see why these fish were so insufferable. They had started to build a fleet up, for what purpose he could not imagine, and so he added to it and sent it off. The result was that fleet maintenance decreased and a few million fish died in the process.

For some reason, the Liir had researched large particle beams with no way to use them. They had emitters but no designs to use them. Two planetary assault fleets were built up to send against The Director, but due to the slow nature of the fission stutter drive the first fleet was met with overwhelming odds.

During the battle St. Claire got that unsettling feeling that all the emitter beams jumping to a fro were not only his but also those of The Director. Therefore most of his brawler fleet was wiped out in the first few minutes of the battle. The remnants retreated and the second planetary assault fleet was redirected to a friendly planet. It was deemed, at this point, to just try and colonize some worlds, make money through trade, prevent hiver expansion into owned worlds and tech up.

Some Tarkan invaders tried to do damage, but emitters did the trick

Some Hiver incursion could not be stopped, but some did.

Status report on the Song of Fire: Trading with about 20 DE freighters, completed CnC CR tech, colonized one planet, built up defenses on all planets. Unfortunately the Song of Fire are still in dead last place, despite my best efforts. The issue with them is that they are literally surrounded by hostiles, but their tech is good and they already have a decent large mount ready.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Sounds like the game is almost ready to begin in earnest!

First we need that faction-neutral overall summary, and then the betting can commence. :)
We'll take a short while to collect bets and then the next player (PaulMcC) can begin his turns with the lowest ranked empire at the load-in screen (apart from Song of the Void, if they are still in last place.)
Zed's TARs (sample):

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes, still last. Since there are TWO empires ranked 7th place, I suppose PaulMcC will be able to choose the one he likes the most?

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Except power rules no faction played twice in succession. But if things don't change, they may come back around to me. Yay...

Return to “T.A.R.”