Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by PvtNutter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 pm

10-4

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:43 am

How are the turns coming PvtNutter? Were you able to take turns? Or should PaulMcC go ahead if he can pick up the game Mon night?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I did - Sorry, got the turns played but real life got in the way before I could get the write up posted.

PaulMcC will thank me... it was a slugfest. I think the AI got a taste for fish and don't realize Painful Burden isn't Song of Fire! Killed 3 of the Director's colonies, but lost a few myself to
constant incursions from the Humans, Hivers and Tarks.

So PB is still 7th and Director is still 1st, but no-play-twice rule means the Morri Amenopheos is up next at number 6.

Here's the save PaulMcC if you want to go ahead and get started. Just leave me time to post the write up tonight, after 9pm EST.

Sagerk

Post by Sagerk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Just wanted to say I quite enjoyed reading this SG and look forward to the conclusion!

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 am

Sagerk wrote:Just wanted to say I quite enjoyed reading this SG and look forward to the conclusion!

Thanks for dropping a post. It's good to know somebody besides us is reading and enjoying. Hope we continue to entertain you.

St. Claire sat quietly looking at the vid screen showing the teaser for IGNA's latest news article. If he had been capable of emotion, he'd be particularly miffed.
Not at the subject of the news story; nor even at the implications of the article as it hinted at his firm's involvement. Rather, at the Inter-Galactic News Agency's penchant for using childish puns related to words in their name...

After a few minutes, he almost sighed, and activated his intercom. "I want him brought to me. Now."

St. Claire put the annoying IGNA news article out of his consciousness. He had bigger fish to fry. Pun intended.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 am

The intern walked stiffly into St. Claire's office. There was an odd feel to the floor - it sort of slipped beneath his tread, but he didn't dare look down. He anticipated St. Claire asking him to sit; started to move towards the chair but stopped when the man behind the desk didn't move, speak or even glance towards the chair. He came to a hesitant halt in the center of the space before St. Claire's desk. St. Claire's gaze pierced him with an icy coldness that pinned him in place as surely as a pin holding a butterfly in a child's insect collection.

He couldn't pull his eyes from St. Claire's face. No one had ever seen St. Claire angry, that he could think of. He had a feeling he was as close to seeing it as anyone had ever been. He swallowed nervously, and almost collapsed with relief when St. Claire finally spoke.

A holographic vid screen appeared in the air between them. "This was the ranking when you started your assignment. Yes?"

At his hesitant nod, St. Claire changed the image. "And this is the ranking now. Look familiar?" The flat dry tone of his voice indicated it was a rhetorical question.

Still, with nothing better to say, the intern tried to speak three times before he could manage to squeak, "Yes sir".

"The point of consulting is to GUIDE someone in making decisions - that will actually CHANGE something! Let's take a look at Painful Burden's other stats, shall we?" The image flickered to show the ranking categories 25 galactic cycles ago, when he started his assignment.

"And this is what you ended with. Again, no CHANGE!... oh wait, I see you built and lost a few ships. I'm sorry. I stand corrected..." and after a long pause, two words, dripping with irony that sent shivers down the intern's spine, "Good Job".

After waiting in silence for a response, and receiving none, St. Claire continued. "And here's their financial situation when you took over."

"And what you left them with - less trade, and a little more money, and 3 fewer colonies!. So your consultancy resulted in nothing better for them than a low interest savings account and governmental population controls!?"

"Well?" Silence. The intern felt as if he had stopped breathing five minutes ago...

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:36 am

The vid screen faded away. St. Claire leaned forward and asked, "And just what was that little fiasco about 15 cycles into your term?"

The intern knew this was his last and only chance to redeem himself. He took a deep breath and spoke, trying to muster as much confidence in his voice as possible, given the gravity of the situation.
"Well, sir, the very first few cycles after I took over, Painful Burden had to defend multiple colonies against Zuul and Hiver invading fleets. You had instructed me to do as much damage as I could to the Director's holdings. So over the first 10 cycles or so I routed as many warships as I could to the front without leaving their colonies completely undefended."

"Warships!? Don't you mean FREIGHTERS?

"Umm yes, well, you see..." I have to spin this or I'm done for "Enemy presence in their trade sectors had caused many of their freighters to be sent to colony harbor for safety. With little chance of reopening trade in those sectors in the near future, those freighters were just expensive empty hulls with lightning guns attached. So I found a use for them - to liberate Aam'shi.

I figured that was a better than just letting them sit in orbit. And it freed me to use other real, umm warships, for attacking the Director."

Silence was his response, followed by, "And how did that go?"

"Well sir, Painful Burden destroyed Delphi twice, Polaris and Fort."

"I see. I have one more question for you. What are you standing on?" The intern swallowed and looked down.

He was standing in the center of a large sheet of plastic.

Oh no...

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

St. Claire’s secretary crept into the room and slid a note onto his desk then crept out without a word.
A couple of minutes later St. Claire’s head twitched slightly and then bend to look down at the paper.

Memo 31586 - Regarding advice to the Amenopheos the Holy
Action – Request you approval to secretly recruit one of Amenopheos’s Morrigi advisors into our organisation and authorise the implant of an experimental pheromone emitter.
Background – Amenopheos has refused any direct contact with our representatives claiming a risk of staining his holy aura. We propose to secretly recruit one of the senior advisers to the Emperor and feed our strategic and tactical advice through them. A suitable candidate has been identified and a preliminary approach was successful.
The Emperor has a reputation for rash decision making however and may not take the advice of our insider. We therefore propose to provide the insider with surgically implanted pheromone emitter. Tests have shown the emitter to provide an 83% increase in the suggestibility of Morrigi in the vicinity (details in Annex A) and we believe this will significantly increase the likelihood that our advice is acted upon.
Risks – If the emitter is discovered our involvement will be plain. At best the Emperor is likely to sever all ties with our organisation and at worst the scandal could irretrievably undermine the Emperor’s power base and lead to a coup from the ‘Manilla’ faction of the royal court.

Once again St.Claire became impossibly still, but only for a brief second before his hand reached out to the intercom and he voiced one word..
“Approved“

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 pm

In a dingy hotel room somewhere in the Morrigi empire we find a Morrigi diplomat- and a senior one judging by the robes and jewels he is wearing – talking to a non-descript man in a grey suit

“Run this by me again. Particularly the bit about the surgery….”
Of course your eminence. We will provide you with strategic and tactical insights from our extensive intelligence gathering operations throughout the quadrant and this will include a summary of options and a recommendation on the best course of action for the Emperor to take. You can make use of our information in your daily briefings with the Emperor.
Our information and advice will keep the Emperor better informed, allowing his Holiness to make more effective decisions about the future of the empire. You will get the credit from the Emperor and my employer will know that he is supporting your holy crusade. Everyone wins.

“But what about the surgery?”
Think nothing of that. We just wish to include one of our advanced health monitoring implants to ensure that you are completely protected from any potential illnesses while we are working together. The process is painless, very quick and the result is completely invisible. In fact if you agree we can carry out the procedure here and now. You’ll be completely protected when you walk out of here in half an hour. So what do you say?
“Well the Emperor has a long standing hatred of cybernetics and implants but as long as you’re sure it will be invisible then I agree.”
Excellent – step this way…..

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 pm

How's your turnset going Paul?
Zed's TARs (sample):

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Half way - prob finish and post tomorrow

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi All,

Finished my turns finally ;-)

Here's the status and save.
I'll post the dialogue tomorrow - it's half written but saved on a different comp.

RBSG14-WeakestLink T200.sav

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 pm

I guess that puts me up, playing Painful Burden. Let's see if we can get them turned around like the Imperial Hive and keep at least one Liir in the game. I should be able to get my turns played and write up posted by Friday evening, giving the next player (Abyss?) the weekend to play his turns.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Poking around it looks like it will be a bit tougher than the Imperial Hive! 8)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by ZedF » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Looks like we are still waiting for Paul's report and purplemarmot's turns...
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “T.A.R.”