RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Tactics and Action Reports.
purplemarmot

Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:26 am

Sorry about that guys, ended up having some work stuff come up. I've got like 18 of the 25 turns played. I'll should be able to finish them up and have a report written by Friday evening.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Meeting between an intelligence analyst and the head of operation for the Empire of Amenopheos the Holy.

The Head of Operations opens the meeting …..

“So now our agent is in place, what is your assessment of the state of Amenopheos’s empire?”

Sir, the Empire is in a mess. Our estimates suggest that overall only Painful Burden is in a worse strategic position.
Amenopheos has neglected colonisation and terraforming resulting in a far smaller empire than his competitors.
The fleet is composed of a bewildering array of ship classes and weapon loadouts with no clear division of tactical roles meaning composing modern fleets from existing ships is almost impossible at the strategic level.
Also, and probably the most worrying aspect in a short assignment like this, the Empire has absolutely no early warning capability at all. Neither a network of deep space scout ships nor long range sensors. This is going to make border protection incredibly difficult.
However on the positive side Amenopheos has set up a moderately successful trade network and carried out targeted weapons research and this has resulted in some quite sophisticated beam weapons, notably a medium mount phasor, heavy combat lasers and point defence guns. Unfortunately this targeted approach has left the fleet with no potential to field effective mass drivers, or torpedoes.

"Humm, the lack of intelligence information is worrying as strategic analysis is the area where I expected generate the biggest benefits. So what are your recommendations?"

Well sir....
Firstly to structure existing ships into fleets with clearly defined roles, and to produce new designed that maximise the strengths of the beam weapons available.
Secondly to begin an extensive programme of colonisation and terraforming to expand the empire
And thirdly to begin aggressive operations against their tarkan neighbours.

“Humm, why are you proposing to attack the tarkans? The intelligence estimates on page 19 indicate that they are the strongest empire in this area?”

Sir, the tarkans worlds are immediately habitable to Amenopheos’s population and tactical simulations suggest Amenopheos’s beam heavy ships should perform well against typical tarkan designs focused on armour, missiles and mass drivers.

“Very well – and where would you propose Amenopheos focuses his research effort?”

Our estimates indicate that the Empire should be able to hold its borders against anything short of a full scale assault so I suggest a focus on developing Artificial Intelligence will provide the biggest benefit in the long term.

“Thank - Good analysis. However I’m going to veto that research proposal. Our scope to influence the Empire is fragile and as such we need to focus on short term gains. Don’t worry, you weren’t to know – 'Need To Know' and all that. Anyway you have highlighted a few weaknesses in the technology available to the Empire which I think we can shore up pretty rapidly by focussing on biotechnology initially followed by salvage technology. After this pushing through further advances on beam technology might pay dividends. Thanks for the briefing; let’s reconvene in 8 weeks for an update.”

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:16 pm

In the swirl of an embassy reception a non-descript figure intercepts a heavy-set Morrigi at the drinks table.“Cardinal Rellops, glad I caught you.

Did you have a chance to view the trade figures I sent over?”

“You!” the cardinal exclaims with surprise. After a furtive look around the cardinal continues in a whisper.
“The information you sent to me is no where close to what I expected. And your recommendations! You can’t be serious! The Emperor will never condone such a bold change of policy on so many fronts. I will be drummed out of the court for even suggesting it. I need you to provide some less radical alternatives and fast.”

Cardinal, cardinal, it’s ok. These proposals aren’t all that radical and anyway have faith in your powers of persuasion. I know the Emperor looks to you for guidance in these matters. I’m sure you will be able to presence the proposals diplomatically. And if the Emperor doesn’t chose to follow your advice, well at least you will have built a reputation as a bit of a free thinker, able to confront new ideas head on. I’m sure the Emperor will appreciate that.

……………… A week later in a meeting of the Emperor's privy council ……....

So Rellops, you’re very quiet. What’s your view on our future strategy for managing our borders?

The cardinal shifts nervously. “Well your Holiness, might I suggest that our policy of not mentioning the dead worlds may have served its purpose? What harm could there be in reopening discussion of these systems?”

Sacrilege Rellops but, between these five walls, I find myself curiously eager to hear what you are proposing. Speak on.

The cardinal felt his stomach clench in response to a mixture of surprise, fear and elation. The Emperor was interested, or was he just waiting for the cardinal to commit himself further before showing his true intensions. Well nothing for it now but to press on…

“Your Holiness, establishing a presence on these X worlds would double the number of colonies in the Empire. I estimate that by taking this course you would deliver a X% increase in revenue to support the Holy Crusade over a period of only 25 years. Any furthermore we could deliver this programme even more rapidly if we steered Imperial researchers towards biotechnology innovation.”

Humm, enough Rellops. I am attracted to the idea but I would hear the views of the rest of the Court on this.

The Cardinal watched as 19 Morrigi from the leading families in the Empire all shifted nervously in their seats, nobody meeting the Emperor’s eye. As usual when a challenge arose it was Earl Kreese, head of the Manilla dynasty who broke the silence.

“Your holiness, these ideas have attractions yes but what of your divine proclamation? What will the public think of any reversal? No I can’t support such a move. It is incompatible with protecting your rule and as such delivering our Crusade.”

Maybe you are right Kreese. This would be a completely new direction for the Empire and stability in these troubled times is key. I must think of the support of the people or we are lost.

Rellops decided to give it one last shot.
“Your Holiness – opening up the dead worlds would create new trade routes and bring new diversity to markets throughout the Empire. Your people are always looking for new things and they will see the benefits.”

A smile grew on the Emperor’s face –
“Yes I can see it now. New markets, new commerce, new wealth. Ok – make it so Rellops.”

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:31 pm

In the bathroom at the Detorian Smoke Club we find the Cardinal holding a furtive conversation with an ornate wall sconce....

"The building of survey and colonization fleets is going well and I expect 4 fleets to be ready to travel to the nearest Dead Worlds in just a few weeks. Trade revenues are up and the new focus on biological sciences is paying. Even the Emperor is pleased with the genetic modification programme being rolled out to the outlying colonies. When can I expect a new intelligence summary and ...."

Rellops is in full flow when he's interupted by a voice emerging from the wall

Wait, someone's coming. Don't call us, we''ll contact you again soon.

Rellops swings round just in time to see one of Earl Kreese's sons enter the bathroom and rapidly powders his feathers and leaves.

A few days later at the Kreese estate...

"Are you telling me that after three months of bugging all Rellops's properties and mounting round the clock surveillance we are still no closer to finding out where his information and ideas are comming from..! I won't stand for it. I want you to dig up every scrap on his past history. I want to cross reference everyone he has ever spoken to looking for any link to the Dead Worlds. I want you to scan his ground cars, tail his staff, go through his garbage. Tear his life apart. He's making the Manilla dynasty look stupid and I won't stand for it. NOW GET OUT AND FIND SOMETHING!"

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Turns and standings: Writeup to follow later.

Looks like Abyss is up with, again, Amenopheos the Holy.

And the save:

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:13 am

Time to vote another faction off first tho, right? Want us to wait on the write ups?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:25 am

Abyss goes before the voting, IIRC.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:05 pm

I'll work on this tonight and get the write up posted tomorrow morning. The Morrigi absolutely slaughtered me when I was the Zuul, so hopefully I can pull their feathered behinds out of the fire.

e: I will be working on it tonight, 3/20, got tied up with life the past couple of days.
Last edited by Abyss on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:32 pm

St. Claire’s Consultants Adept 2nd Class Jasmine Blossom straightened her collar for what must have been the 100th time since entering St. Claire’s office. Since when are these St. Claire’s uniforms so damn uncomfortable? They use the latest comfort synthetic fabric, cut in ergonomically optimized styles, or so the advertising claimed. Until now, she hadn’t had a reason to disagree. The finest for the finest consultants in the galaxy, so says the Company procurement department. Right!

St. Claire doesn’t want us consultants distracted. Well, I feel awfully distracted right now. She had a sinking feeling in her stomach that she was about to be assigned the job that every consultant was talking about. Ever since that intern several years back had his employment terminated and Painful Burden had filed their complaint with the company about quality of service, every consultant lived in fear of being assigned to assist them. Rumor had it, that just that task was about to be assigned. Pissing Sea Aliens! Why did she have to finish her last assignment so quickly. Stretch out victory a few more months… and she wouldn’t be sweating in this waiting room just now.

She jumped as St. Claire’s secretary opened that door and said her name, “Adept Blossom, St. Claire will see you now.” She stood, and adjusted her collar yet again. I really must have a word with the company that designs these things, or file a complaint with the Advertising Council! These really are not that comfortable!

Stepping into St. Claire’s office, she saw St. Claire turn from his terminal and smile at her. “I hear good things about your last assignment. I have just the job for a smart and ambitious Adept like yourself.” His smile sent shivers down her spine. She’d seen photos of wolves from old Earth, and that smile brought back memories.

“It seems that Painful Burden has complained about the quality of service we offered them during our last consultancy. Something about incompetence and using freighters as warships! I suppose it’s my fault for appointing an intern, however talented he appeared, to such a tough job. I will admit, this job isn’t any easier than it was before, perhaps harder as they see this as restitution and expect better results. I expect better results.” Oh Flaming Bugs! This was going exactly like she feared. “On the other hand, they’ll be satisfied with surviving and expanding. Knocking The Director down a peg or two is no longer a directive, but just a suggestion. We don’t want to make it look like we’re playing games with them here. Just see what you can do to make them satisfied with our work.” Hmmm… this could be better than she thought, or a whole lot worse…
Last edited by purplemarmot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Stinking Space Gnats! That could have gone better. At least The Director didn’t bother us too much. Good thing I decided to fall back from Fort to Uursh in the beginning. It had taken the combined fleets of those two worlds plus more to fend off the few attacks The Director did send. She’d had better success against the Zuul and Hivers in the other area, even launching an offensive or two at them to distract them. Uursh had been colonized with her help and several of the Song of Fire colonies brought into the empire. She’d expanded the empire by 5 colonies, with Fort abandoned for a net of 4 more colonies. The economy of the empire was similarly improved by increase in colonies, trade and economic technologies. She’d managed to increase the output significantly, reduce fleet costs and provide better fleets. It would have been nice if those Liir scientists had cooperated… but they must have decided to go over budget on all three technologies she’s recommend they research and finished. Cut off their own noses to spite they’re faces.

Unfortunately, her best efforts hadn’t managed to do much better in rankings than the infamous intern had, but she had increased the empire size. At least… I shouldn’t be terminated, or for that matter fired from the Company. I doubt I’ll get any more choice assignments, though. Probably a lot more like this one.

She jumped again, when St. Claire’s secretary said, “He’s waiting for you now…”

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Lol! Awesome. Lets hope he wants to offer her a new uniform and not a new plastic carpet...

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Lol! Awesome. Lets hope he wants to offer her a new uniform and not a new plastic carpet...

I know! Perhaps we'll see in a later bit of fiction, by myself or others. :)

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:02 am

Sorry this is late, but it was actually a fun set of turns. It reminded me of the convenience store saying, only in SotS language. "Need a planet, take a planet. Have a planet, give a planet." I've only uploaded the save, for now, but the write up will be forthcoming. Also, I actually moved the Morrigi up in rank to 4, up from 6, and did some damage. Oddly enough, the Tarkans are now in 7th.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Starting out here's the statistics and report.

We've got money, but also a fair bit wrapped up in slow research and colony development.

Jasmine Blossom waited in St. Claire's office for the second time in almost as many days. Her palms were sweating and she swore the room temperature had to be around 100 degrees Fahrenheit, even though she knew St. Claire kept it at a constant 60 degrees. All she could think about was that her mysterious boss had changed his mind and wanted her terminated for an unsatisfactory job. She waited for what seemed forever until the chair she was staring at swiveled around to reveal her employer.

"Adept Blossom," St. Claire said with a smirk, "I have another task for you for redemption. It seems as if our services are again required by the Morrigi and their last consultant is, shall we say, unavailable." St. Clair motioned over to the corner of the room where a plastic rug was rolled up. "Should you fail me again, that will be your fate. Until then, you have 25 cycles to prove me wrong. Good day."

Blossom strode out of the room, receiving communication logs and strategic documents directly to her personal terminal put her into a sense of urgency. She now had the power to control the destiny of the Morrigi, and she would make damn sure it didn't go awry - her life depended on it. The following is her report as she labored for 25 cycles in order to preserve the very air she breathed.

State of the political empire at the time of the first few cycles.

An early attack with no warning dooms one of our colonies, at first it looked like this would be a hard beginning to the rest of the campaign.

Painful Burden meant to intercept some of our ships, we put a stop to that. As much as it hurt me to blow up an empire I recently helped, they left me no choice.

Our first engagement with the Tarkasian empire was started in deep space. Soon, though, they would get a more homely welcome.

Battles all around as we gear up for the offensive!

The Zuul were a pushover and it was only one of the two engagements I ever had with the overgrown rodents.

Despite lacking decent CR weapons for attacking planets, we made do with assault shuttles. The native Tarkan population did not enjoy this cycle.

The Liir love their projectors, our CRs, not so much.

Although during our engagements we were presented with researching opportunities. Since we are still researching special projects at the end of my time with the Morrigi I'll assume they weren't "that" important.

We also decided to hit up Argos and pay the Tarkan population a visit there as well.

Keeping the Hiver expansion in check is a definite priority for the Morrigi, even if they were going to a planet which had Tarkans stationed there.

This was a hard fought defense against the Zuul. We lost a ton of ships but we held off to save the colony. Stormers wrecked havoc on our polysilicate alloys.

Round 2 at Argos

We hurt them, but reinforcements are on their way and we'll likely have to retreat as we can't match up pound for pound against a coordinated Tarkan fleet.

This was bad news, since the fleet defending was old, had a lot of destroyers, and was mostly a garrison force.

Oh, right, they also had 5 more ships on the way, brilliant. This should be a breeze...

Drones! Do your thing...oh...are those interceptor missiles? Good thing we never researched drone cruisers.

No one told me, before going into this position, that the Morrigi had decided to build Holy Defenders on a massive scale. These, of course, being CnC ships. So feast your eyes on the CnC ship fleet of doom!

I thought this colony was surely done for, we had reinforcements on the way, but they were older generations as well. Our newer ships were battling the Tarkans at their planets. We were not prepared.

More population killing at Argos.

But this is why we left.

And we saw this before having to defend against the remaining 17 Tarkan Cruisers. Goodbye planet, I guess.

Yep, I thought this was the beginning of the end.

And this was too.

However, during the last engagement we had destroyed two CNCs and damaged the mission section of the third. Here's the result of those valiant lives which were lost the previous year.

The final battle at Argos before retreating back to safety, unfortunately assault shuttles were too far away to be of any use.

I thought we were doomed, turns out Painful Burden has crappy point defense and we have awesome missiles.

Also, the humans (Gully Foyle) now have anti-matter.

And without further ado, research finally completed!

Anti-matter or no anti-matter, we destroyed Jinx.

And Painful Burden still is terrible at missile defense, but good at blowing up our expensive ships.

Yea, I was ambitious, so what?

The Liir try again, and are just about as successful.

A wild VN appears! We dealt with them in a way so that no berserker will come visit us.

We had to intercept another gate fleet, only 2 ships, but Hivers now have Anti-matter also. Our closest research approximation? 86 cycles.

Final Ranking, budget, and political outlook.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Hopefully that's good enough not to get terminated! :)

I believe it's time for the next voting round. Who should be eliminated this time? :D
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “T.A.R.”