Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Liir are 8th. Humans and hivers are 7th

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Since there are TWO empires ranked 7th place, I suppose PaulMcC will be able to choose the one he likes the most?

Sure, or he can toss a coin. :)
Hopefully any improvement Abyss was able to make for Song of the Void will register in the rankings over the course of the next 25 turns. I seem to recall this delayed effect happened a couple times in martinl's original Fail Logs.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Sorry, that's what happens when you read too fast on your cell phone. Can't wait to get home to the pc tonight and give it a proper analysis at normal screen resolution.

Great gameplay and write up by the way. Going first in a creative endeavor is always a bit dicey. I'm brimming with ideas just based on your characterizations.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 am

Do you need me to give the race-neutral summary?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:44 am

If you wouldn't mind :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Summary

St. Claire backed away from his console with some sweat visible on his brow, it was a reaction to the frustration he had just endured. He was so prosperous with Gully Foyle that he didn't think that it would be so bad with Song of Fire. He decided to retire to his quarters for a moment to summarize his thoughts. Both of the human factions in this battle arena were quick to defend but only one is aggressive. The Hivers are creeping up from the bottom of the galaxy and they tend to bring 15-30 ships per gate fleet, they are slow on research but it'll be tough to root them out once they get going. Both the Song of Fire and the other Liir faction excel in technology but are mostly defending what they own and not advancing. The Zuul are always on the move, but their appearance the past 50 turns has been restricted to a couple of rip bore fleets. The Morrigi are scouting and defending their territories and the Tarkas are actively seeking war with their neighbors.

"What a mess and what a challenge." St. Claire said aloud. "If only they named their ships something I could understand, that would make it all better." The naming scheme St. Claire used was rarely as rudimentary as this current one. He would often loudly display the pride of dragons or fish or apes, even. But here, when you left good graces of a faction, they went right on naming ships differently. Finding out what the function of some of them was, as the Liir call their ships, painful. The current naming schema used is the first two letters are the command section of the ship AR for armor, CnC for CNC, ER for Extended Range, etc. Then the next two letters are the primary weapon, such as ARGS for Armor Gauss or CnCRL for CNC Red Laser. Finally, the version number is typically the speed (in ly) that the ship moves plus a number - ARGS 4.1 or ERUV 3.1. Of course, there is always a creative spirit that wants to name all the ships to fit the race, and that's fine too, just make sure to keep in the details. ERUV Argos 4.1 would work or ARHCL Narwhale 3.1 would be fine too. Just realize that when you step back from your consult, your client will most likely not keep your design names.

St. Claire walked back to the console on the bridge. Two other races had appeared on his screen, he only could pick one to aid for 25 years. As he sat down, a small port connected to his lower back. He internally switched off his processor and cleared his RAM. Another great mind of the time would have to work through him.
Last edited by Abyss on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Awesome, expect to see something from me on Saturday - I haven't looked at the situation yet but I'm tempted by hivers since we've had a bit of ape action already.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Damn, so we have to use the St. Claire storyline? I had something else in mind, though I might be able to adapt it...

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 pm

I don't care if you use that story line, adapt to it, alter it or go completely in a different direction. For all I know St. Claire won't wake up until I'm back in the rotation, but it was something I had thought up and decided to play out.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 pm

We betting before you post?

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Are we betting before the first real rotation starts?

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Ah, yes, so, what exactly can we bet on? Anything goes?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

My suggestion was that everyone could pick who they think will finish first/second/third (which in this case means the winner and the last 2 to be eliminated prior to victory.) But really you can bet on or make predictions about whatever you like. :)

As far as storytelling goes, again there are no hard and fast rules, other than other people may well be voting based in part on what you have to say about your turnset. :D
Zed's TARs (sample):

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:45 pm

I'll place my bet with
1.) Hivers
2.) Tarka
3.) Gully Foyle Humans

Rationalization of Choices

As far as I know, when I was playing, Hivers have the bottom of the sphere galaxy and they have the least amount of competition for new planets. The closest neighbors they do have are the Zuul or Tarkas. It takes many ships to out play a Hiver world as the Zuul, it is probably the matchup I least enjoy because it means a constant interruption of fleets to new worlds. But in this scenario they have ten already, so it's not inconceivable that they would hold a staunch defense and win the voting game. They may be in 7th place in the rankings, but it takes a while for any Hiver AI to get up to speed.

The Tarka are smart aggressors in my opinion. From my small amount of scouting knowledge I think they have to only worry about encroaching Hivers and Zuul. I was probed by them as both the Humans and attacked outright as the Liir. I predict that their strong start will start to fade when they encounter steeper resistance from both The Director and Gully Foyle.

The Human faction of Gully Foyle probably has one of the best defenses against their human neighbor. Many of the node lines are simply too long for anything but an Fusion F-Node or AM fleet to get through, and the home world is protected by a time consuming node path. That said, it only works for their human neighbor. I think The Director and Gully Foyle will have it out, with G.F. winning most of the battles in the end. Although The Director did have 111 DEs at one place when I was attacking it, remember I achieved CRs with G.F. by the end of my tenure. DE swarms can certainly defeat CRs under the right circumstances, especially with emitters, but I doubt how many of those the AI will field. G.F. also had emitters available, but I did not research them. Once there is war exhaustion between the two human factions I think the Morrigi will take the chance to come up north and start to cause havoc with them.

Just my opinions.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm

The only thing I'm going to predict now (about who is going to win the whole game) is that depending on the order of play and respective strengths of the players, it is going to swing wildly in all directions. Because even if those humans are in first place now, it can only require one good player with a race that has not been too pounded on to severely cripple them, same for any AI finding themselves in the top spots.

Return to “T.A.R.”