RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Tactics and Action Reports.
Abyss

Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 pm

No doubt, and I fully anticipate it to swing wildly in all directions. But I thought I'd lay my chips on the table to make things interesting.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Besides, you don't have anything to lose by taking a stab at it, Blue. The chips on the table are worth nothing more than bragging rights. ;)

Feel free to peek into the save if you think it would help you come to a reasonable WAG about it. :D
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:50 am

St. Claire looked calmly at the ensign he had called to his office. His android vision could see from the young man's skin temperature that he was nervous. "Relax," he assured quietly, " I called you here because I have heard from your manager that you show promise. She believes you are ready
for more - important - assignments. I assume you've had a chance to look over the briefing files I sent you?" At the ensign's hesitant nod, he prodded for further
response, "And what is your assessment of the situation?"

The young man kept his eyes down, looking intently at an imaginary spot or blemish on the immaculate floor between his chair and St. Claire's desk. After
a long moment of hesitation, or thought-gathering, he spoke. "Well sir, at first glance one would say the Tarkasians are in a position of domination. But the tides of war can be brutal and the fates unfair. A well-timed strike at a key production or economic system could quickly plummet them to the bottom of the heap.

Likewise, the Hivers are near the bottom. But they are renowned for their tenacity and tough ships. So though they are slow to gain momentum, they could
grow, if unchecked, into a power house to be reckoned with.

And well, sir, without having spent time in the war-room with any of the factions, I don't know that I could really say. Besides... " He hesitated, as if not knowing whether he should say something. St. Claire understood his nervousness. This opportunity could very well make or break his career as a strategy consultant. Not to mention the opportunity for redicule from his peers if he should botch such a high-profile consulting case. "Well, sir, I've heard it said that you don't just pick the winners and placers - you choose them at the beginning and then ply your sly and cunning skills to make them so."

St. Claire laughed to himself. This one is as sharp as they say. He just unknowingly touched on the secret to my success. Leaders of empires have not guessed how deftly I secretly manipulate their fortunes of war. "You shall have your chance in the war-room. This is a very delicate contract, and there is more at personal stake for me than you know. Let's just say there are more than 8 players, and the secret 9th is a powerful player, indeed.

I have other matters that will pull me away from time to time before this contract comes to a close, so I will be assigning you as a personal advisor to the leader of one of our factions in the near future. I have hand-picked a team of young upward bound ensigns like yourself. Initially, another will be involved over the next 25 cycles or so, and then I want you to try your hand. At that time we will decide to whom you will be assigned. In the interim, immerse yourself in the details of events as they play out, attend all the briefings and absorb every ship design in combat reports. Be ready.

Now, you have wisely skirted around naming a specific outcome to this endeavor. However, let's just make a friendly non-commital wager. If you had to say who would win, place and show - who would it be? Nothing to lose, maybe so much to win if I like your performance."

"Well sir, I would say the Tarkasians will show at least in the top 3.
Gully Foyle will lead his splinter rebel human faction to overcome the Director's Empire, securing a solid second place for the human rebels.
And the Hivers will dig in and inexorably roll their way to first place."

"Indeed," muttered St. Claire. Not quite what he had pictured, but with a little conniving, it could be made to be so. Perhaps he would take more of a back seat and see which of these hand-picked individuals would show the most ingenuity at manipulating the fate of their assigned clients - and unknowingly secure for themselves an appointment as his personal successor - the one who would inherit his vast consulting firm...

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:49 pm

The evening found our hero Lt Flashson in bar feeling sorry for himself and thinking back on the last few months and how his life had changed.

Up until 2 months ago Flashson, as heir of the Wittleback fortuneback, had spent his time drinking with the other blades at The Director's court, gambling and chasing the chambermaids around the backstairs. Then it all changed when his father called him home, and in that dark wood panelled study, told him the family was bankrupt. Some kind of investment in new 'emitter' weapons technology that had gone way overbudget or something. Flashson was too stunned to take it in properly. And with no family money to rely on, the news that his father had pulled a few strings and got him a place with the navy on some planet on the Gully frontier. Onto a transport the next day with strict instructions not to let anyone into the secret of the family's misfortune and a month later here he is, in the officer's bar on Epsilon Indi waiting for Regional Commander McGraw.

At that moment Flashson's moping was interupted by a booming voice from the center of the room.
"Ah that must be him! Are you Flashson?"

Flashson nodded ascent and a bear of a man in a regional commanders regalia advanced on him...

"Knew your father when he was your age. I can see him in you young bull and I expect you're here to out do him huh..? He was always where the action was thickest. Bet you're a chip off the old block. Bet you couldn't wait to get out here when you heard about the trouble on the frontier. The Director down-played things in the media but it's been quite an eventful year. Officers dying all over the place. Perfect time for fast promotions if you get stuck in. Anyway now he's hired some kind of adviser. I don't really approve of that idea but this St. Claire seems to have the right idea. Major attacks planed on a number of fronts.."

"Anyway I know you'll be keen to get right to it and as your father's son I'm going to give you a command in the new armada we are pulling together to attack those god-damn heathens on Down. 100 ships but a lot of them are old, tired designs and we're heard rumours that the Gully men are fielding some huge hulks in their fleets. Mount more guns that a squadron of ours. Just the right environment for you to make your mark I should say. Now take this letter to Force Commander Simmons and he'll fix you up with a ship."

"Anyway, must be off. Got a make sure the General's wife is ok while he's off defending the new colony on Mu Bootis!!"

Crap this doesn't look good thought Flashson, a cold, very sober shiver running down his spine. More achohol needed before I think my way out of this one.
'Waiter another pint over here and a double of that absolution rum - oh and send Mary over with it would you..?"

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Yes after having a look at the situation I thought taking the Director's side might be more fun as with Fusion researched I should be able to mount quite a few quick strikes on the my neighbours.

So Turn 51

What's the Director got going for him....Lots of ships but not a lot else!

Tech:
Fusion is researched, and light emitters and plasma guns, battle computers, deepscan and trade. No point defence, no cruisers, no armour or reflective, no economy techs and no bio techs either.
Emitter destroyer swarms look like the way to go.

Fleets:
500 destroyers in service! And fleet maintenance is fairly high.
3/4s of the ships appear to be old gauss armour varients

Colonies:
I have 11
of these two are new but ok and 2 still have CH over 300 (Hel is over 500!)
But Lupus looks like a colonising prospect.

Combat:
Got a tarkan and two liir fleets incoming but they look like small scout fleets so no major attacks incoming.
Outbound - I have over 100 destroyers at Epsilon Indi and it's a short jump to Gully and a big cruiser fleet....

Here goes.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm

The next morning Flashson rolled out of bed with a thumping headache and went to get a towel and a kettle - his mother's patent hangover cure, put a towel over your head and breath steam.

5 minutes later Flashson was breathing in the vapour and as his head starting to clear he had brainwave.

"My god, it might just work -- steam the letter open and change the order. Get assigned a job in the repair office or logistics or something. Somewhere far from the frontline where I won't come across McGraw and where there might actually be some women. It must be possible. Now were's that letter..."
"Arse - it's all hand written and they obviously know each other well. No chance to change the words wholesale. A few letters here and there is all I'll manange.

Let's see......
....Give Flashson a command. ...Watch over him from the CnC.... Expect to see him charge in....Report back to me on how he performs.....

A few minutes later after some careful editing the letter makes much more comfortable reading.
...Give Flashson a command view. He'll watch over them from the CnC... Expect he'll see them charging in...
"Not ideal but the CnC must be the safest place" Right off to see Simmons.......

"So Lt Flashson is it. Humm, yes McGraw mentioned he'd be sending you over. Ah yes you have a letter, let me see...."
"Humm, a place on my command ship huh. Interesting request. I would have expected you to to want to be in the thick of it...?"

"Well yes sir" Flashson was quick to respond to Simmons. "That would be my preference but the Regional Commander though I would be more use helping you with fleet strategy sir. Of course I would prefer to get stuck in, see the whites of their eyes and watch them turn tail under emitter and plasma fire."
Now how to explain this.... "But I expect my mother is happy sir. The family knows Commander McGraw you understand...."

Simmons frowned.
"Humm, I don't approve of family influence being used to coddle young officers but if Command McGraw feels this strongly then yes you can join my command staff. But don't be expecting much plasma or emitter fire, this fleet is old and most of our ships mount old fashioned 303mm gauss guns. Still that'll be enough to set Gully running from Down."

Flashson blanched - the 303 gauss guns were cutting edge when his father was in the navy and he'd heard his fathers stories about only one shell in ten finding it's target. This wasn't looking good.

Simmons' parting shot as he turned to leave wasn't that reassuring either. "The fleet leaves in the morning so get your kit aboard SFS Python and I'll see you in the CnC. Oh and bring your flak jacket - my CnC goes in with the advance wave."

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Lupus seems like a colonizing prospect because it used to belong to The Director and was one of Gully's first successful colonies to wipe out. :twisted: I'm digging the individual soldier story, though, keep up the good work.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm

At the end of the first day of the Down campaign Flashson stood in the ruins of Python's otherwise empty bridge deck, his skin coated in a cold sweat from memories of the earlier battle. At the sound of the marine sentry outside snapping to attention he opened his eyes and straightened up - just in time to see Simmons enter.
"So Flashson, what do you think of that? Two of their cruisers down on the first day - that'll go down well at home. A bit bloody on our side mind, 18 ships destroyed and three bloody great holes in Python. Looks like after me you're the ranking on the CnC after Jefferies when through that hole. Fortunate for us he was a fond of the odd ship's pie or the whole compartment would have depressurised what!"
"And the news from home is good too, tarkan raiders beaten back from the border, and a liir incursion stopped cold. I don't envy the poor idiots in those tanker ships though. Must have been like the 4th of July when the three of them lay alongside though liir destroyers. Still 3 tankers is a small price to pay for giving the upstart fish a bloody nose what!"

Flashson saw Simmons taking a breath and knew he had to do something to get out of the hellish battle.
"Sir, with you leading the fleet I'm sure we'll send these Gully's packing. Might I suggest I return to Epsilon and put togther an assault carrier fleet to take the planet once you've wiped their navy away?"

"No need to worry Flashson" said Simmons. "I've already order up an assault fleet and requested a diversionary attack on Serpens to intercept any reinforcements Gully might be sending our way. The orders are in my cabin. Can you get them send off. Oh and we're moving to a new CnC but I'll keep the callsign Python to avoid confusing our boys. And I know you've been looking forward to a bit of plasma fire. Next time we go in with the new ships. I want you running fire control directing plasma onto their command cruisers. Closer to the action you've been hoping for I think."

Flashman gulped - Jefferies had been at fire control....

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:15 pm

"Flashson, do you see that command cruiser? Direct all fire on that monstrosity as soon and she comes in range. I want to see them burn in plasma fire!"

"Yes sir commander Simmons." .... here she comes.... almost in range.... "All ships prepare to receive targetting coordinates...And fire at those coordinates!!"
....crap, I missed....

"What's going on Flashson, 95% of that first volley when past her tail."
"Yes sir - must be some kind of computer malfunction, switching to manual targetting now."
"That's more like it Flashson, now hit them again!"

At that moment Flashson notices another cruiser coming round on their port side, lining up for a volley from it's strafe battery. All he can think about if Jefferies and the combat the day before....got to get out of here... Flashson sees the green laser capacitors on the cruiser 's bow battery start to glow, a sure sign that a volley is only fractions of a second away. He leaps backwards out of his seat but his foot catches on something, he over balances.
Flashson feels his head hit the deck and instantly everything goes blurry. Just before he slides into unconciousness he watchs Simmons gesture Ensign Jones to fire control

.... some time later .....
"Nasty knock you took there" shouts Simmons. "Must have been the jolt when that laser volley caught us. Still you fixed the targetting problem - Ensign Jones put three volleys of plasma in to that command cruiser and she fell apart like a like a drunken priest's sermon. After that the battle was basically ours. We lost 13 ships but destoyed 8 of their cruisers and 4 destroyers."

"Can you get back to your post Flashson - they have another wave coming in?" ..... but Simmons voice is fading and Flashson falls back into unconciousness.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:34 pm

A few days later we find our hero in bed on the support tanker Mary-Lou. He is reading the back-log of fleet broadcasts.....

The battle lasted 8 days, crossed five systems and cost the Directorate 45 ships but it will be recorded as a great triumph for the Director. Down, Serpens, Tarazad, Midway and Terra are now members of the directorate and billons of people living on those planets have been brought into our fold. But the battle wasn't easy. The Gully throw everything at our brave lads and only turned tail after 27 of their cruisers and 16 destroyers were left in smoking ruin.
Elsewhere in Directorate space there have been border clashes wityh both the Liir and the Tarkas. Again the might of our navy provailed and all engagements were clear victories for the Directorate. Our hearts go out to....

At that moment the door opens and Commander Simmons walks in.
"So Flashson - I have to say I'm disappointed in you. A bump on the head and you're out of the fight. Not the kind of performance I was led to expect. Anyway I'm going to down the well to receive the formal surrender for the Down government. I will be back at 1600 and I expect to you to be waiting for me in my office aboard Python when I get back. I have written a report for Commander McGraw but I want to give you one chance to explain yourself before I send it."
And with that Simmons marches straight back out again leaving our hero with much to think about.

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:47 pm

"Well that was a fairly pitiful ceremony don't you think Flowers?" Said Commander Simmons striding back to the lander with his retinue. "Hardly worth the effort of bringing these filthy savages into the empire if all we get for it is a dusty scroll what!"

...Strap yourselves in, we lift off in 5,.. 4,... 3,... 2,... 1,...
And the acceleration pushes everyone aboard back into their seats. After a few minutes the engine cuts out as the lander achieves orbit. In the sudden silence a ticking sound can be heard....
Simmons gets on the comm. "Pilot, what do you make of that ticking sound?"
"What ti -- BOOM!!!! and the lander turns into a fireball.
Back aboard Python Flashson is waiting in the Commander's office when the ship-wide comm sounds
"All hands to action stations. All hands to action stations. Lieutenant Flashson to the brideg. Lieutenant Flashson to the bridge"

Flashson rushes onto the bridge to find everyone talking at once. Sub-lieutenant Chamberlain waves him over. "Sir, Commander Simmons lander exploded in orbit. That makes you the ranking officer on the cammand ship. What are your orders sir?"

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Poor Flashson can't catch a break... :lol:

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Flashson collapses into the command chair and realised that the room had gone quiet with all eyes on him. His mind was racing... In charge of a battered fleet, on the frontier, and no doubt with a horde of angry Gully cruisers going to arrive any day now...

"Chamberlain I need to key to the secure orders safe, I need to know what orders we have received from Regional Command and I need to know what Simmons was planning."
Chamberlain handed over the key, and with his own key and Chamberlain's in hand, Flashson hurried out before anyone commented on the sweat shining on his brow.

Back in Simmons cabin Flashson soon had the safe open. Within it were two folios, one folio had the Directorate emblem on the cover and was clearly order from Regional Command. The other looked like Simmons personal papers. Flashson picked up the orders first and quickly scanned down to the relavent section.

...after accepting the surrender of Down you are to push on and take Gienah. If the Gullys don't surrender then glass the planet. The orders were signed St. Claire but overlain with the Director's personal seal....

No way thought Flashson to himself, that's suicide. I need to find a way out of this.Then he picked up the other folio and started flicking through until his own name jumped out at him.
Performance report on Lieutenant Flashson ....It didn't make comfortable reading
.... where upon Flashson took charge of fire control... grossly incompetent... that first volley cost two of our ships... Flashson's claim of computer malfunction later shown to be entirely fabrication... knocked unconcious... suggestions of cowadice in the face of the enemy....

Flashson felt weak at the knees - this would finish him. Without stopping to think he took both folios and thrust them into the incineration tube. Now what to do...
Flashson was still thinking 5 minutes later when there was a knock at the cabin door. The door creaked open and Sub-lieutenant Chamberlain stood on the threshold.

"Is everything alright sir? Did you find our orders in the safe?"
"No Chamberlain, there was nothing there." said Flashson thinking fast "Simmons must have had them on the lander. I need to go back to Regional Command and report the status of the fleet. I'll take SFS Syracuse, she's the fastest in the fleet. In the meantime I am placing you in charge. I want you to secure the system and put the Gullys to work repairing our ships."
"Urrr, yes sir. But what about sabotage."
"Well post guards" growled Flashson "Do I have to tell you everything." And with that he stormed out towards the shuttle bay."

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:38 pm

2 days later Flashson stands in McGraw's office while the Regional Commander reads what he supposes is Simmons performance report on the Lieutenant....

".. So you took over fire control when Jefferies bought it even though the compartment might depressurise at any moment... Commendable Flashson, very commendable... and then you directed fire onto the enemy command cruiser blowing her clean out of the sky and turning the tide of battle. Quite a performance report Flashson. It appears that Commander Simmons, god rest him, was right not to give you a command of your own even though that must have been frustrating for a man like you. But you have surpassed my expectations Flashson and the fire in your blood will be rewarded, oh yes. I'm promoting you to Force Commander and I'llbe recommending you for a DSC and writing you up in Dispatches."
"Now what do you make of the situation on the Gully front, er Flashson? St. Claire wants us to push on to Gienah - quite the armchair warrior that one. But I want your views as a man with first hand experience of things."

"Well sir" said Flashson, "If only Commander Simmons hadn't taken the orders onto his lander. If I had known the strategy I'm sure I would be on the ground on Gienah now accepting their surrender. But now I fear we may have lost momentum and Gully will be reinforcing. I think we'll need a squadron of new ships on the front line before we push on sir."

"Humm, well maybe you're right. Anyway leave the northern front to me. This will be a battle of attrition now and better suited to old men like me. But don't worry, there's more action brewing against the Liir in the south. I don't know if you've heard but Painful Burden has been sending harassing fleets into our territory. St. Claire thinks it's a prelude to invasion and suggests we launch some lightning raids of our own into their space. I'm sending you to take charge down there. We haven't got much of an assault fleet just scattered planetary garrisons so don't go mounting any invasions, just hit and run and keep them off balance. Just the ticket for a man like you I should think! Now Miss Spencer will sort out your transfer so see her on the way out. Dismissed Flashson and good hunting."

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Lol - when I read how the Director has been giving it to Gully:
Down, Serpens, Tarazad, Midway and Terra are now members of the directorate and billons of people living on those planets have been brought into our fold., and Gienah, too apparently.

I was starting to wonder if my prediction of Gully prevailing over the Director was wrong.

But now with Flashson ignoring St. Claire and the Director's orders...
I'm thinking maybe I chose correctly...

Flashson may just win it for Gully! :roll: [EDIT: you posted while I was posting - so now he's headed to Liir territory. Uh oh - without him around, the Director may continue whipping up on Gully. And I didn't even bet for the Liir at all. Maybe I should have :lol: /]

Good job so far. Looking forward to the results when your set plays out. Sounds like you're busy on more than one combat front.

Return to “T.A.R.”