RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Tactics and Action Reports.
PaulMcC

Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 pm

A week later Flashson stands in the audience hall on Nemesis prime facing the support tank holding the Liiran Ambassador.

"Commander I'm here to protest. Directorate ships have been seen in our space and on numerous occasions they have attacked our fleet leading to much loss of life. And now a fleet bearing Directorate marking is blockading and bombarding Avalon. This has to stop and I am empowered by my government to propose a return to the status quo of 15 turns ago. You keep your ships in your space and we will do the same. What is your answer commander?"

Flashson steps forward "So Ambassador Fukshish ..er.. Fukenshifash...er... Darn, can I just call you Fishface?"

"WHAT!! I will NOT be insulted like this. Commander I gave you every opportunity to be reasonable but you have thrown my good words back in my face. Well fair warning Commander. Now I unleased the might of the Painful navy and they will bring woe to your colonies and death to your fleets. The arrow is loosed and it cannot be called back and the Burden will fall upon you upstart"

And with that the support tank wheels around and rolls out of the audiance chamber.

"Humm, that didn't seem to go so well" said Flashson. "Jeeves, as the ranking diplomat, what's yourassessment?"

"You blithering idiot Flashson, I told you to be polite. God knows what Painful Burden is going to do now but all our intelligence estimates suggest their military technology is more advanced than our own and their fleets are both more up to date and more numerous in this sector. I hope you haven't damned us all."

"But can't you appologies or something? I though that's what you diplomats did."

Before Jeeves can answer the pair are interupted by a marine guard running into the room..

"Sir, scanners just picked up contacts heading towards both Delphi and Nu Ophiuchi from Liiran space."

"How many ships private?" snapped Jeeves.

"Unknown sir. the signal is all fuzzed up. We're not even sure exactly where they are just that there's a painful lot of them."

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:14 pm

"Hold the line commanders. We are the Directorate navy and we don't back down. We don't go down without a fight. And we don't waver when things get tough. Now I can't tell you how many ships you'll be facing or what weapons they will have but know this, each planetary defence garrison has at least 20 destryers in it and that's a mighty force."

"What's that, half the ships are non-combatants. Well yes that is true but remember even the 303s on our tankers and colonisers can punch holes in the Liiran ships and while our assault shuttles are not very nimble in space, their carrier ships also mount 4 point defence emitters. It's not much but get in close and I'm sure you can get a few licks in before you go down."

"Where will I be? Good question Sergent. I'll be remaining on Nemesis to oversee reinforcements. And don't worry these will be top of the line plasma-emitter ships, the new Lyander class. Once I have assembled a sizeable strikeforce here in safety I will dispatch rescue fleets to your locations, and together with any of you who remain, these fleets will wipe away any Liir in Directorate space."
"That's all I have time for. Good luck to you all and remember, go down fighting!"

Flashson reaches over and switches off the comm.
"So, I though that went pretty well don't you Jeeves. Quite inspirational I thought. In fact I might ask the tech for a recording. Oh, well you obviosuly had to run off to some urgent diplomatic emergency, but most impolite of you slamming the door like that."

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:25 pm

"Sir, I have the Director on the comm. Will you take the call?"
"Of course ensign, patch him through."

"Commander Flashson, I understand congratulations are in order. The reports coming in tell of the total distruction of two Liiran fleets, some 110 ships. As the commander in charge of the region you have my personal thanks. I know you must be thinking about all the men whos lives were lost but please put that behind you. I am making you a Hero of the Directorate.. No, no thank me later but first let me tell you that I have consulted with McGraw and heard about your bravery against the Gully as well. Both in the Northern campaign and now again against this unprovoked Liiran attack you have proved your command potential. I know you can't wait to be back on the front lines but I need you here on Beowulf. That money grabbing St. Claire has taken his cheque and moved on and I need someone with your keen eye for strategy to take command of the Directorate navy. That's right Flashson I'm promoting you to Marshal of the navy effective immediately. Now pack up your bags and get over here as fast as you can, we have a lot to do."

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38 pm

So 25 turns completed - wow that took a lot longer than I expected. Probably about 4 hours of playing time and another couple taking notes and writing it up.

So here's where things stand on turn 76:

The Directorate in 2nd and Song of Fire in last.

And a summary of the battle stats:

Over all
Lost 179 Destroyers
Killed 350 Destroyers and 51 Cruisers
19 colonies - 5 taken from the Gullys and 1 from Painful Burden

I'm not sure how to embed the save file but it should be available for download from here.

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/67184057/file.html

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:57 pm

PS - For eventual top spots, my bet would be the Morrigi and the Tarka (who are rocking deflector shields ;-)

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Nice work.
Yeah, doing a TAR is a lot of work... fun though.

Got the save downloaded and opened up fine. Will get ready and dig in - want to get my turns in over the weekend so I don't hold us up. Feel free to post anything more you might want to add - I'll not post until tomorrow probably.

Looks like I'm Fire Fishies... we have Translate English and Fusion is about to finish. I bet Flashson would have liked to have known that before he called our brother Diplomat from Painful Burden a "fishface" in English!

I'm off to the Steel Singer's office to start going over designs. As soon as Fusion rolls out, we intend to inflict some pain with a song only the Liir can sing, from the bridge of a brand spankin' new Fusion powered CR.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Nope, you're Imperial Hive, Song of Fire was already played by Abyss this round.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:09 pm

I thought it was just can't play them twice in a row, back to back. Not that you couldn't play them twice in the same round. So, it's Song of Fire..., not the Imperial Hive.

Every round, the current player takes over the position of the faction with the lowest ranking on the load-in screen, except that the same faction may not be played twice in a row.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Oops, my bad... but wouldn't there be a risk then of going back-and forth between only a small number of factions?

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Well your supposed to mainly hit your strongest neighbour so hopefully it won't turn out that way.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 pm

PaulMcC wrote:Well your supposed to mainly hit your strongest neighbour so hopefully it won't turn out that way.

aahh - glad you reminded me of that. Had forgotten supposed to concentrate on highest ranked neighbor.
Since Song of Fire is smack in the center, that means they border all others. So I'm taking on Tarks - yay me.

Of course, that dirty "fishface" calling Director's faction is 2nd place, and also nearby, so maybe we'll accidentally send a few strike fleets their way. "Oh, sorry! Lizard, human - you dry pasty land-walkers all look the same to us!"

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 pm

That and if we really don't like doing that we vote that faction out...

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Song of Desperation
A singing of the Desperate Invasions, a seige campaign by the Liiran Empire Song Of Fire
against the Taarkan Empire Varrush Wing
Historian Unknown

This is a song of desperation. It is a song of unexpected successes; and joy, yes. But it is also a song bitterness; hatred and lust for vengence unsated. Like the Black's Swimmers, the war has no name. It is one of the countless wars whose tellings
have become a part of our people's collective memory. Sung and taught, from generation to generation, lest the sacrifices of those before be forgotten.

The Black of Song of Fire burned for vengeance. The human empire led by the Director had shown lack of civility and respect towards the Liiran race. War is war, and it is savage. When we wage war, all that distinguishes us from savages is the honor and dignity with which we conduct ourselves. The Director had shown that humans have no honor; no dignity.

The Black's desire was to strike out against the Director. But there was another two-legs that did have status among the galactic peoples. He advised a different course, and the Black reluctantly listened. This two-legs was different, being mostly machine - although he had been human many years ago, he had earned his place of honor and respect by consulting and aiding countless leaders - always with dignity and honor. Many had prospered from heeding his advice.

The Black's consciousness slipped more fully into the cons[list=][/list]ciousness of the dignitary meeting with St. Claire's advising consultant. Though it was not the android himself who would be speaking to them, St. Claire had sent assurances that this young human had his full support and his advice was of the same quality as if it had come directly from St Claire himself.

The usual and customary respects were paid, and consultant began his briefing.

We have access to information from all the empires, and can thus make a comparison assessment of Song of Fire's relative strengths. Your empire, though peopled by a great race, is ranked last against the others by various factors. Taking into account technology, ship production and colonization efforts, this is what we find:

Analyzing your technologies and ship designs reveals a strong reliance on Lightning Guns combined with uv Lasers. You have Fusion, which just luckily completed 6 turns early as I was on the way here!, but no medium mount weapons, at all. You have neglected your infrastructure technologies as well as bio technologies. Now, luckily, your economy is pretty good and you have a decent amount of ships, considering your empire consists of 6 colonies with one under heavy development.

But we don't have time to do anything fancy. We don't have time even to take your empire to the top. It's too late for that. We need to turn it around, though, or it won't be here for the rest of the war.
Here are our recommendations, to do with you see fit:
Strike the Taarkan Empire. They are close to your hazard rating than the humans. Though you want to hit the humans more, you could not convert their colonies fast enough to save your empire. Also, we have an inside line that they are "rockin' deflectors". Your light emitter + uvL ships will tear them apart. They also have several colonies within easy strike distance of your production worlds, especially with Fusion.

Ships: redisign a core set of ships with Fusion engines and LE only in the lights and uvL in the mediums. We don't have time to research a medium mount weapon, and dual uvLs gives you equal or better combined DPS from the mediums than any of the first tier medium weapons you currently have available to you anyway.

Technologies: grab Shields and immediately redesign a CnC and combat ship with shields. You have no armor to speak of, so the shields will help soak damage, giving your ships just long enough to overwhelm the tougher Taarkan ships with your energy weapons.

Attack! Hit them now, even before the new ships out. And if you can flip a few of their colonies, do so!

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 pm

The Black did not like this advice. Hated it in fact. But the young human's advice carried the weight of St. Claire's endorsement.

There was no choice but to embark on this bitter path. Revenge would come another day, but only if their empire survived to see that day.
Herald Singers were sent throughout the Empire. The Taarkan colonies close by were scouted and most had upwards of 100 ships. Such a desperate attack would be a long and breaking ordeal for the people, and everyone needed to commit to giving this last stand everything they had.

Song of Fire's fleets were coordinated with one objective, Kea' Donum, with all coordinated to arrive at the same time. Except, all existing colonizers were sent to Ke'Groko to try and bring the weakest colony up to speed as quickly as possible. No further aid could be afforded except what had already been built. The people there would have to swim or sink on their own after that.

It was a long slow journey as the Liir do not swim well in the waters near stars - preferring the open depths of space. Along the way there was excitement when the Idea Singers achieved Shields early. And there was despair and confusion that nearly broke the hearts of Song of Fire's people. Painful Burden, their brethren, sent intercept fleets to interdict several of the fleets swimming to attack Kea'Donum.

Was Painful Burden secretly allied with the Taarkan empire? The pang of betrayal stung deeply, but they shrugged it off and continued swimming, ignoring the traitors who pursued them.

And surprise, then elation when a Taarkan fleet appeared out of the black, incoming to the Homeworld Laylii - 32 ships on sensor, destroyed with no losses!
Sudden hope sprang into Song of Fire's hearts. New, faster fleets had been built over the years of travel. Even before the first attack arrived at Kea'Donum, the Black cunningly loosed this new, stronger Shielded fleet towards a second objective, only bit farther into the Taarkan empire, Iluum. The hope was that the Taarkan leadership would erringly send all their fleets to defend Kea'Donum, leaving other systems light on defense. These ships were faster enough that they would arrive only shortly after the fission fleets outbound to Kea'Donum.

And a few turns later, the ordeal began.

A long and tiresome seige of Kea' Donum began that would ultimately last 10 full years. Overall, Song of Fire's older ships, though Fission and not Shielded, performed well against Varrush Wing's deflector equipped ships and HCLs. Varrush Wing lost a grand total of 124 ships including sats, to Song of Fire's 45.

While the battle for Kea'Donum raged, Iluum was indeed found to be more lightly defended and was taken easily over 5 turns. Varrush Wing tried to stream in reinforcements, but could never get the rhythm of combat back and lost 119 ships to Song of Fire's 43. The Shields didn't make as much of a difference as I'd hoped, but they did help some.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:43 pm

The Black could not have hoped for a better outcome. As soon as the last defenders feel, colonizers already in orbit swam the seas of Iluum, then Kea'Donum.
But there was another refreshing ocean within sight - Kua' Gra. Most of Iluum and Kea'Donum's reinforcements had been observed flowing from Kua'Gra. If all her garrisons had been sent to their deaths, then it was just possible that the leftover attack fleets from Kea'Donum and Iluum could take Kua'Gra, too.

The fastest and least wounded swimmers were pulled from Iluum and Kea'Donum and sent to Kua'Gra. Before they arrived, to ultimate joy and victory, there was one last painful arrow for Song of Fire's heart.

The Black's old enemy, the humans led by the Director, attacked Lolaysh. Though the sattelites and small garrison remaining there fought valiantly for several turns, that ocean was lost to the 61 attacking ships. But that was expected of such trash. The stinging arrow came from the last sensor views of Lolaysh. Incoming Painful Burden ships, fighting the Director's ships. To take the spoils of Song of Fire's Lolaysh like a scavenger fish taking scraps from the Shark's mouth.
And then, on the next turn, an all out sneak attack on Lamomi by Painful Burden. It was easily repelled, but still, the damage has been done.

Sadly the Black realized that Song of Fire may have to rid the universe of it's new traitorous "Painful Burden" before proper justice can be delivered to the Director. This transmission from Painful Burden, ironic as it was depraved, only cemented that idea in his mind. "Alas, my brethren, we are not the broken ones."

Return to “T.A.R.”