RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Tactics and Action Reports.
PvtNutter

Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by PvtNutter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 pm

This takes us to Turn 101.

Here's my final run outcome:
Added 3 colonies, taken from the Taarks and lost one to the Director and/or Painful Burden.

Killed 238 DE and 60 CR (mostly Taarkan) for a loss of 61 DE and 32 CR.

Did not improve Song of Fire's standing, but didn't really expect I could. But did do significant damage to
Varrush Wing, dropping them to 6th place. Looks like it's Hivers up next.

And didn't do to shabbily in the Tech department either - got some techs that will help SoF start to grow, if they stay in past the end of the round:

And finally, tried to squeak as much production and teching as possible while leaving them with as good an economy as I could:

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Definitely an admirable attempt to make the Song of Fire a worthwhile contender. Their position of being in the middle of everyone just makes them extremely difficult to work something out. Of course during this scenario you'll only be attacking one person, but the AI doesn't play by those rules so it's definitely more frustrating at times. I should think that the Hivers will be fun to play for the next 25 turns.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks. Since others have made a prediction, I'll make one. I see the Taarks going down even more notches, as they border the Hivers, and without checking, I think they would be the highest ranking neighbors of the Hivers. I think the lizards are gonna get a serious tail-woopin' here shortly.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 am

Hm? You posted yourself that the Tarkas are down to the 6th position now, and since the Hivers can't reach the Humans, it's the Birds they will have to deal with...

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

Ah yes, you are right, forgot the Mori are next to the hivers too. There, see, that's what predictions are worth....

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 am

I believe that puts purplemarmot up :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:45 am

I'll see what I can do to play my times tomorrow or Thursday, but it may slip to Friday until I get the turns in and write ups posted.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:08 am

First off, I'd like to say that you all have done amazing, setting the bar high here! Good job everyone.

Here's the starting position map:
Morrigi and Zuul are bordering with Song of Fire Zuul close. Directorate and Painful Burden further.

Economy and rankings:
Thirteen colonies, 1st in ships, 3rd in output, but 7th in population.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:21 am

I do have a scenario rules question. The rules state that we need to attack the nearest highest ranking member. In the save file, when I load up, it's the Morrigi (2nd, with the Zuul at 5th). However...

When I loaded the game, went through and deleted computer Hiver designs. I did not realize the computer keeps EVERY design it ever makes, or perhaps every design it still has built ships for or has ever built ships. Whatever, it's a LOT! Anyway, the only changes I made were deleted all computer designs and creating my own and canceled the production of two destroyers already queued up. I then saved the game using a different name than the original file, so I'd still have the original file to reference the computer designs in. Reloaded the original save file to take notes on the designs (which were which main section, which were scan and strafe, etc). When I reloaded my file with the ship designs changed, this time the Zuul were 2nd and the Morrigi 4th.

Here's my question? Actually two. First, why the change in rankings for two factions that I didn't change? No turn has been played and I only loaded the Hivers. Second, which do I attack? Do I primarily attack the Morrigi since they were 2 in the actual save file? Can I attack the Zuul as they're 2nd in the save file for the same turn? Can I choose to attack either? I think the rankings between 2 and 5 must be very close.

I'd really like to attack the Zuul... there already seems to be a fairly heavy war going on between the Zuul and Hivers.

Here's the screenshots and updated save file:

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 am

I have no idea why they switched rankings, but as a Hiver player I'd focus on whoever is closest to you. The problem with Hiver will be that once you send an attack fleet they'll have something waiting for you. And it might take your fleet 25 turns to get there, so I'd focus on defense and building up your ranking first and attacking second. There's a vote for best defense and I think that's much more likely for your turn set.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:28 am

I like that idea, Abyss. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fusion ships built yet. Hivers don't have Cruisers yet either. They're about 35% of the way on Armor Piercing rounds. Neither do that yet have Gate amplifiers so the Gate network only has room for 39 destroyers. I usually like to have more for large assaults on 15+ world empires as Hivers.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 am

In general, the idea behind attacking the highest ranking neighbor is to attack whoever is doing best and is most likely to be able to resist your aggression. So you can use your judgement in that regard if the ranking screen is not providing a reliable answer.

Remember that the 'best defense' vote relies on actually being attacked in a serious way, so you could be out of luck in that regard if the AIs choose to attack other neighbors or don't bring credible attack fleets. I actually meant it to be applied to an AI that successfully managed to blunt a player attack, if that ever happened, though it might make sense in the context of the Hivers as well. However, I think you'll want to be sure to do at least some attacking, or risk nothing of much consequence happening during your turns. The viewers are not interested in watching peaceful builder turns! :) Minimally, you probably want to be expanding your gate network anyway.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Turns are played. I will post my write up later today. I was most worried about not getting my turns in until Friday, the write up will this evening. So we can keep the game loading, here is the load screen at the end of my turns and the save: Hivers are up to 5, and Zuul are down to 7. Don't think it was anything great I did. Killed a lot of Zuul cruisers and prevented them from expanding. I don't think there is a lot of difference between 2nd and 7th place here. 1st and 8th seem pretty consistent, though.

That puts BlueTemplar up, playing Song of Fire...

My big problem was massive destroyer fleets (140+ ships) with a gate network to shift 39 of them, with old fission drives, not near the borders, except where there was an incoming attack fleet. Added to that was outdated weapons and no cruiser tech against more advanced Zuul cruisers. My gate capacity at the end was 90, through some expansion and research of gate amplifiers. I was able to stop all the Zuul attacks, more than double the gate network, triple and fully build out trade network, and get a modern Cruiser fleet built that crushed the last attack Zuul fleet 26:1. I was able to launch one attack with a DD fleet at the Zuul that is still 10 years away. If I had taken the starting ships (not really fleets... the CnC DD were not where the combat ships were for the most part), shifted ships and built the fleets with my 39 gate network, then launched them, it would have been close as to whether I would actually have gotten to fight those attacks myself, while at the same time likely losing a planet or two. As it stand now, the Hivers are in a much stronger position overall with their neighbors (instead of being behind all three Morrigi, Zuul, and Painful Burden, they are ahead of two of the them), and poised to start doing some successful attacks with modern fleets and a gate capacity that can shift cruiser fleets in 2 turns instead of 5.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

There was plenty of combat:
Destroyers Killed:54
Destroyers Lost:125
Cruisers Killed:83
Cruisers Lost:1

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm on it.