RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Tactics and Action Reports.
PvtNutter

Re: RBSotS1 SG14 - The Weakest Link!

Post by PvtNutter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 pm

To pay devils advocate... Maybe blue should not play song of fire. They have been and continue to be in last even tho played already twice by us in this round. Might be more interesting story wise if he played one of the 7th pacers that hasn't been played yet and see if he can shake things up.

Probably not gonna shake much up with a faction as weak as sof and they probably won't make it to round 2 anyway...

This is only suggestion. Blue, what do you think?

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Blue is the last one up till we vote a race out, so technically this could be Song of Fire's last chance for redemption if he can pull them out of the frying pan. I'd see it differently if this was the third time that Blue was playing with the race, but it's only the third time the race is being played. For a faction that is having multiple problems I don't see them lasting past the elimination, but I'd stick to the rules just so that we'll be able to say we tried.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Cool by me was just thinking out loud. Those le + uvl in the meds ship designs actually worked very well in combat. Their problems were more from lack of infrastructure than losing in combat. I got them some of those so they may have improved a bit on their own if the director and painful burden left them alone any over purplemarmots turns.

Bluetemplar is a strong player so may welcome the challenge. Maybe earn MVP of the round if sof is 6th or higher!

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Ugh, I looked at it, and the situation is dire : I was one turn away from losing the Homeworld to the Tarkas (but I should be able to pull it off), I'm attacked by Tarkas, Liir and Morrigi; I'm down to 6 (soon 5) colonies and 370k income, and it would probably be suicide to attack the green Humans (who have AM warheads) without neither PD nor Repair and Salvage. Thankfully, I still have that 23 DE 53 CR fleet on Kua'Gra that the AI didn't touch, so I might be able to do something constructive with that... Honestly, I don't think Song of Fire will survive the next 50 turns... A bit depressed by the situation now, will resume tomorrow.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 pm

“Why did Mr. St. Claire assign me bugs for my next assignment”, muttered St. Claire Space Consultant Adept 1st Class Sean Jolokai. He sat fidgeting at his terminal. Sit still! It’s not like they’ll be in the same room, they’re actually light years away. He had always hated bugs, ever since that day when he was six… No! Don’t think of that! If I hadn’t been so close to that promotion to Commander Adept, I’d have told the old man I was not interested in this job. Space knows I have enough vacation saved up! He had promised after my last stunning success a few months back with those Tarkans that I could choose my own assignments. Then last week he’s calls me into his office and tells me that he had no one else after his first choice consultant, Jedidiah McKenzie had to go insult that Zuul Father. Damn him, he should have known better!

Touching a button on his console, Sean contacted his artificial St. Claire’s Space Consultant concierge. “Aida, create a personal note in our scheduling system with daily reminder to have me check my contract for which situations our health and retirement plan covers care for life as a drooling idiot. Specifically for insulting Zuul. End note. Oh, can you also contact Engineering and see what their ETA is for repairing the node-link radio? I’ve got that conference call with the Prince of the Imperial Hive in five minutes. I want this meeting over with.” Touching his console again to close the link, he closed his eyes and shuddered.

He’d spent the last week reviewing all the empire data the Imperial Hive had sent him at his request. They were not going to be happy. Sure, like all bugs they had liked to build and they had a huge fleet, the largest in the cluster. Unfortunately it was all destroyers, many still using Gauss Cannon when other empires were wielding UV Lasers and even Neutron Beams. Still they hadn’t crippled their economy with ship maintenance, but their ship designs, fleet structure, and research decisions were less than optimal. They were going to have to make some big changes, strengthen their economy, update their fleet, and probably play defense for the next few years. Maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll get voted out of this cluster. He certainly respected them, their ships, FTL drive, their amazing esprit de corps, but they were still bugs, and should be exterminated where not necessary. Not a very professional thought as he was supposed to be helping these bugs conquer the star cluster. Well, I can do that. I’m a professional. Still, wouldn’t that be nice if I didn’t have to deal with them again…

The loud beep from his console and the holographic projection of Aida’s head inches from his face ended his revery. “Call for you from Prince of the Imperial Hive, Chek’ti’zik, Adept Jolokai. Shall I put him through to you?”

“Very well, sooner started, sooner done, right?” he said softly, steeling himself for the next hour…
Last edited by purplemarmot on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:07 pm

Prince of the Imperial Hive, Chek’ti’zik walked into the Imperial Hive throne room, with what to the other Hivers in the room was an odd grin on his face, or at least what passed for one on a Hiver face. His amusement was profound. That human was good at hiding his emotions. For a Human. It was obvious to him, however, that that human was terrorized by thoughts of talking creatures akin to the insects he’d heard about on the human’s home planet of Earth. Humans were so easy to read. At least normally. His Imperial Knowledge Burrowers hadn’t had much luck understanding the degenerate humans that infested this cluster of the galaxy. Everyone else but them and the Zuul, they had some good introductory knowledge on.

Approaching the throne of his Queen, Xik’ki’ret, it also warmed his blood to tell her that their hopes were met. The human consultant had told them what they had wanted to hear. Now they could finally scuttle those incompetent advisers of theirs off to other parts of the Hive and end that political threat to their reign.

“My Queen, the human consultant advises us to brace for the incoming Zuul attacks by directing ships we would have used on offense to defend those planets, redesign our ships to use Sniper Cannons, and focus on attaining Armor Piercing, Cruisers, and Gate Amplifiers. I convinced him a quick research of the Zuul to allow us to build larger War section ships would be worth it. Also, much resources should be put into maximizing our trade potential, so we can finally fund those offensives you want.”

He watched as the news turned her that most pleasant, arousing shade of purple. Usually she hid her emotions well. For her to show that, she must have wanted the rest of the court to see. Was it a message to those ant-brained advisors of theirs? I really should stop picking up those human expressions. Bad habit that! Was it a message to the rest of the Hive drones for approval of the work he had done? Either way, it looked like it was going to be a good night for him…
Last edited by purplemarmot on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 pm

In their private chambers, Queen Xik’ki’ret was speaking to her consort, “You have done well, Prince Chek’ti’zik. These past thirty-two birth seasons have shown us much progress. Defended our realm, expanded our hive population, produced modern and highly effective Armor Piercing Mass Driver cruisers tear through the Zuul ships like pincers through dried twigs, and made the Hive quite prosperous.”

She continued stroking her mandibles along his antennae, “Those planet defiling Zuul and those annoying water burrowers, Painful Burden are both behind us now in prosperity. We must continue to destroy those Zuul, but not lose sight of the winged space burrowers, led by Amenopheos the Holy. Fortunately for us, we have eyes that can see in many directions, unlike those apes. I must admit, however, their consulting was useful. Maybe it's their AI…

(Adept Jolokai personal note: that’s not what she really said. This is translated for a human audience, you know. What she really called those Armor Piercing Mass Drivers was Space Shell Stinging Clubs. Well, that’s a translation too, but we thought the other translation would be better for those reading this report *shrug*. Oh, and thirty-two birthing seasons is twenty-five of our years. It’s moments like these that make me think us consultants get way to much information in the course of our work. At least, I’ve gotten over my fear of Hivers. Cockroaches… No! Don’t think of cockroaches!).
Last edited by purplemarmot on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 pm

There were several combats in this turn set. Most by Cruiser fleets from the neighboring Zuul, but one particularly painful one from the neighboring Painful Burden. Those armored Light Emitters wrecked the Hiver fleet. In the first wave, their 6 cruisers took down 41 Hiver destroyers. Fortunately, the Hivers had over 200 destroyers, almost all combat with plenty of CnC (finally) and after destroying the remaining combat ships, the support ships of the Liir were destroyed pretty easily. The battles with the Zuul were not as bad, especially the final battle in year 124 losing one cruiser and a DD deployed gate while destroying 26 Zuul cruisers to the last ship.

There was one battle with both the Morrigi and the Song of Fire. Both Hiver slaughters of DD colony fleets.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 am

How are your turns coming Blue? :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm sorry, I've tried to motivate myself for the last few days to do those turns (and to do video recordings of them as was my intention), but now I think I should withdraw from this SG altogether.

If I were to do those turns they probably would mainly consist in grinding away attacking AI fleets with what I have at disposal without any real room for a counter-attack, especially against Humans, not really a prospect I find fun. And I'd rather not spend my free time on something that feels like more work than fun...
One problem is all those useless ships with confusing designs the AI tends to build, which you cannot afford to scrap because you're under attack and have no real income left. And having to plan to relocate those ships for the defense of all your planets which are under constant attack instead of being able to build your own fleets.

Sorry again for having wasted your time.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:10 am

Sorry to hear that Blue. I agree that marshalling the AI designs can be a challenge -- one that was noted in the original Fail Logs, I should mention -- and if it's not one you feel you'll be able to take on when your turn comes up, I can understand feeling that this particular format might be less to your taste than you originally thought.

Abyss, that puts you up as the last player before the vote. Do you want to try Song of Fire or do you want to consider Blue's turn as having gone to them, and thus pick another contestant?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I'll pick another contestant, I think Song of Fire has been given chances and hasn't produced good enough results. I'll go for whoever was seventh, which is a tie, so I'll pick the Zuul, since it'll be different.

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Abyss, hope you didn't get mind ripped by those Zuul and everything's OK. :googly:

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Sorry for my tardiness, still don't have internet at the new place due to work and installation logistics (going on 1.5 months with no home internet!). Here's the save, write up forthcoming.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Fury was sitting at his console on the bridge of the Redeemer Mk 7 scanning through reports of mind rips and ship statuses. A door opened from behind him and he swiveled his chair with a thought. Two females nudged their way into the room. They were both lightly armed and armored, just reconnaissance units, but they carried with them a human with an odd shaped insignia. As he started to protest and declare that “St. Claire” would exact his vengeance on them all Fury ripped out all the useful information and the man, or rather Corporal Veritable as the Zuul had learned, collapsed to the floor in a drooling mess.

Fury recognized thoughts and strategies within the feeble mind of the human, but he did not want to diverge from their current ways of doing things. They had just upgraded all their systems to fusion era AI tech [not AI research, just general systems] which controlled all their functions and processes of waging justified war against the races of the system. Why should they bend their will to this “St. Claire?” The Greatfather had not hired him nor had Fury, the Zuul’s current Dominus. Rather it was some Zuul within the ranks of power that thought there needed to be a higher hand organizing the strategy on a grander scale. Someone who would try to rectify the situation that the Zuul now faced, one that had them losing planets yearly instead of gaining them daily. Fury knew that he could turn it around, he but had to bend the will of the Zuul to the collective mission of victory.

He started to access some of the newer reports of ship designing (having 40 versions of the same ship was clearly the most efficient way to do things) when the system suddenly locked up. He telepathically called for his technical expert to take a look and they exchanged troubleshooting methods until the screen went black. It suddenly returned to normal but had a small window open in the middle of the screen. It immediately grew until it took over the projector that sat just in front of the windows of the forward bridge. A human-esque face stared out at the audience of befuddled Zuul, studying them with interest.

“As of now,” the voice echoed in the metal hallways of the command ship, “I have taken over your ship, your networking systems, your entire empire.” The voice itself sounded metallic, almost like a Zuul but more machine than organic. “You can call me St. Claire, your females have captured three of my best advisers and you, Fury, have mind ripped them all.” “From now on I will be in control of your actions and you will take a backseat to what strategy I instigate.”

Fury was, well, furious at this notion of his power being taken away from him. Yet within the confines of his command ship he could not reach out to this “St. Claire,” nor could he wrench from it the control of the empire. Everything had been automated so as to guard against rogue psionics, but this was proving an ill-fated move as now every process was being controlled by one entity. Fury sighed both telepathically and verbally, the latter was rare for a Dominus. “Very well, “ he said in resignation, “I shall watch you work. But know this, if you fail, I will make it my mission to rip from you whatever machine part you call a mind.”

“Very well,” St. Claire responded, “let’s see what we have to work with.”

Return to “T.A.R.”