Ideas for RP AAR/TAR

Tactics and Action Reports.
whiterebbit

Ideas for RP AAR/TAR

Post by whiterebbit » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 pm

I've never created a TAR/AAR for any game, but it sounds like fun. I'm getting rather good against the AI, my current game I'm winning against 3 teams 2 Hard AI against me being Zuul on a 70 star disc map. I've never been a huge RPer but would like to use a little in this.

Basically I'm after ideas for interesting game settings + ingame limitation with some RP background to justify it. I want to create more of a challenge for myself plus force myself to use different weapon sets. I have far too greater tendancy to use MD and HCL.

Any suggestions ppl?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Ideas for RP AAR/TAR

Post by ZedF » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Writing an interesting TAR/AAR that's more than just a collection of screenshots can indeed be rewarding. It can also be a lot of work (ask any writer), so be prepared for that. A certain level of commitment is necessary; many TAR authors peter out once they realize this.

As far as ideas for concept go, I tend to think it's easier to be committed to one's own idea than to someone else's. That said, other peoples' ideas and fiction can and do serve as inspiration. I often draw upon ideas and concepts I've seen elsewhere and try to convert them into a fun scenario. One idea might be to pick a favorite fictional character and to play as if that character were at the helm of your empire. Of course, there are countless other approaches one can take. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

whiterebbit

Re: Ideas for RP AAR/TAR

Post by whiterebbit » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks Zedf. We'll see if mine fissles out.

I have a few ideas, but I'm not the creative writing type. I enjoy the tactical/analytical thinking. I wouldn't take anything in it's entirety, I've got a couple of ideas, but struggle with the RP and was just after a starting point I could work on.

Actually your answer has given me a couple of ideas which is actually what I hoped this thread would do. Now thinking either a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or possibly a Dune themed thread. Either one I'll choice Humans, coz 1 suits the the RP better (though the idea of a Zuul / Vogon TAR could be interesting) and 2 there the race I'm worse with so the critique would be useful.

Anyone reading this pls feel free to comment with further ideas/suggestions.

Return to “T.A.R.”