Checking for interest in a new SG

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Checking for interest in a new SG

Post by ZedF » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:47 am

I got a PM from skibum157 indicating his interest in the idea of participating in a succession game. We haven't had one of those in a while; anyone else interested? If so, please respond to this thread and indicate the level of challenge you would be looking for in such a game. Right now I am assuming a new game would be at a modest level of challenge because I believe skibum is a newer player, but what we wind up doing will depend on what all interested parties are looking for in a game.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Re: Checking for interest in a new SG

Post by ivra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Count me in. "modest level of challenge" sounds good.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

acastus

Post by acastus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm always up for a game. Anything is fine but I'm not fond of playing the Zuul.

skibum157

Post by skibum157 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Hey, so I'm skibum157 and I just thought I'd introduce myself.
So I discovered sword of the stars this past summer and while at first it seemed daunting, I decided to give it a chance and I fell in love. Soon after I discovered these forums and have been a lurker here for the past 3/4 of a year, reading through tars and past succession games. Recently I've been wanting to try to actually reach out to the community and see how I could involved in the community whether that be multiplayer or a succession game or whatever. I pm'd zedf as I've read through a number of his tars, and now we're here. (Thank you for setting up this thread zedf)

I'm up for anything as far a succession game goes. I have the most experience with the lirr(it's been said many times, but psychic space dolphins are too cool), but I'm not bad with the humans either(though it's a bummer when you get blocked by missing nodelines) but I'm more than willing to play with other races (I haven't actually tried Zuul yet as a warning). I'm Definitely in the beginner intermediate stages though I can definitely hold my own on normal now and I don't think I'd be swamped by difficult if that's what people want to try.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:21 pm

acastus wrote:I'm always up for a game. Anything is fine but I'm not fond of playing the Zuul.

This applies to me verbatim, except that I'm not only not fond of playing Zuul, but also terrible with them when I do.

acastus

Post by acastus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:14 pm

I posted a game for us to play in a new thread. The honor of the kick-off goes to skibum157. :)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon May 05, 2014 12:30 am

That game has now finished, with victory for the SG team. Who is interested in another? If so, what kind of game are people looking for?

• Roughly what size map? Usually we run something smaller than the last one.
  • What difficulty level? These were supposedly difficult AIs, but the map size and shape meant they could never really compete with an aggressively expansionist live player, so it actually played out pretty easily.
  • Any other preferences?
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon May 05, 2014 7:17 am

I am interested in another game. The only limitation I have is that I do not like too difficult games.

I have some thought of how to make a game a little different. Basically, they create a handicap that forces us to play suboptimal. It makes the game harder without necessary putting the AIs on hard.

1) Pulse
Works for all races, except Zuul.
Build as many scouts as you like over several turns. Then send them all out during one turn. Before another pulse of scouts can be sent away (to unknown worlds) all the discovered habitable worlds must be colonized.

2) Random research
Every time a new research project is to be started, you cannot decide which one to go for. Instead, roll a D12 to select the research tree at random, and then roll a die to select the research project within that tree at random as well. It you roll a tree that has no research projects, roll the D12 again.

3) Cheapest Research Project
Always select the cheapest research project when a new research project can be started.
Note: This causes the game to be in the fission era for a long time.

4) No ERs
No scouts (ERs and Heavy ERs) are allowed. Tankers and refineries can never go to an unknown destination. Scouting has to be done using regular ships like DE Armors.
This makes the fission drive updates important, especially for Tarkas.
Note: This is not a strong restriction for Hivers. The only limitation is that they cannot send a tanker with a gate ship to increase the range. Instead the range of the gate is the max distance.

5) Slow colonization
Biomes are not allowed and the number of colonization ships per planet is restricted. More specifically, the maximum number of colonization ships that can be used on a planet is:
Max#Colonizers = Ceiling(CH/50) + 1
That is the climate hazard of the planet divided by 50 and rounded up to nearest integer, plus 1 (to make sure you can use 2 colonizers on worlds with CH<50, in case the first was lost to a colony trap.) Basically it means:
CH, Max # Colonizers
0-50: 2
51-100: 3
101-150: 4
151-200: 5
etc.

6) Paranoid
Space is dangerous. Nobody is allowed to go to an unknown world unless as part of a huge fleet. At least 10 DEs must be sent to every undiscovered world.

Does any of these options sound fun to anybody?
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Trygvasson

Post by Trygvasson » Mon May 05, 2014 1:18 pm

ZedF wrote:That game has now finished, with victory for the SG team. Who is interested in another? If so, what kind of game are people looking for?

• Roughly what size map? Usually we run something smaller than the last one.
  • What difficulty level? These were supposedly difficult AIs, but the map size and shape meant they could never really compete with an aggressively expansionist live player, so it actually played out pretty easily.
  • Any other preferences?

I'd like to have a go at an SG! - I mostly play with 200% randoms, 50/50 economy/research and Hard AI's, unlimited strategic turns and 10min tactical. I find the bigger the map, the less expansion-friendly it should be, otherwise we'll just outperform from the beginning. As for in-game restrictions/special rules, let's keep it simple :)
Brute force. If it's not working, you're not using enough.

acastus

Post by acastus » Wed May 07, 2014 2:43 am

I have time for another game. Anything is fine apart from my lack of enthusiasm for playing the Zuul.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 am

Ok, then, watch this space. I will endeavour to get a game set up before the weekend, since that's when people seem to have the most time available to play.

Any further participants, or opinions on settings and/or handicaps, are of course welcome and will be taken into consideration.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu May 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Ok, I am thinking along the lines of a 50/50 game against Difficult AIs but without special rules, to accommodate Trygvasson since he hasn't done one of these before (though I won't be using 10 minute tactical timers.) That said, I am going to aim for a setup that shouldn't be especially challenging, barring bad map luck, so your rivals will start at a slight disadvantage compared to the player race, before considering the 50/50 and Difficult AI settings. In order to facilitate the "not too challenging" aspect I'll be looking at something in the 15-20spp range for map size, which should give the players a fair chance to out-expand their rivals if an aggressive expansion policy is adopted. I'll also take some turns at the start of the game to get folks off on the right foot.

I randomly selected Liir for our race. Game should be up shortly!
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:30 pm

SotS1 SG15 is complete -- our first SG win on 50/50! We lost a few players in the mop-up phase, but perhaps a new game will revitalize interest. Who would like another one?
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:08 pm

I am in. My only wish is another race than Liir. Liir is actually the race I like the least to play. I struggle with their weak ships with few weapon slots.

skibum157

Post by skibum157 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:25 am

I'm in again. I'm out of school now and will have a lot more time this summer. I'm up for anything and I feel like I coul definitely handle a greater challenge if it makes it more interesting. I think the only thing I'd suggest is a slightly smaller galaxy then the one we used in the first game. I think it would help prevent the end game from getting too tedious and difficult to post about.

Return to “T.A.R.”