SG - New Interest

Tactics and Action Reports.
acastus

SG - New Interest

Post by acastus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Since there seem to be a few people interested, I created this SG. This is the set up:
  • Playing the Human faction with one extra starting planet.
  • 7 difficult AIs with no advantages.
  • Custom map with all stars guaranteed to have node lines (except maybe the VN Homeworld).
  • 200% random encounters.
  • Self-imposed rule: cannot use xenotechs to force surrender. Researching xenotechs is ok otherwise.

I suggest skibum157 take the lead and play the first 10-20 turns. After that anyone can play 1-10 turns. Basically, whatever you can do in a day and then let the next person go. We can figure out a rough order of players as we go along. Just post a note in this thread when you grab the save file.

On this map it might take about 80 turns before we encounter the AIs so it is probably safe to put military tech research at a low priority early on in the game. Most of the early part of the game will be rapid expansion and dealing with the random nuisances. Overall, it should be a moderate game. Hopefully not too easy.
Last edited by acastus on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torezu

Re: SG - New Interest

Post by Torezu » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Maybe put a list of people and play order in there?

acastus

Post by acastus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 pm

I was thinking this would be somewhat free-form rather than a set turn order with a set group of players. I've seen too many SGs get bogged down waiting for a particular person to take their turn. So this is open to anyone that wants to join and has time to contribute a few turns. Just keep the game progressing at a steady clip.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:39 am

I had been planning to start a game on normal difficulty for more of a training experience, but I'm ok to proceed with this.

Setting the stage for rapid expansion at the beginning of the game is usually key to continuing to build your snowball faster than rivals as the game progresses, and eventual victory. Skibum, if you're comfortable with the pole position, that's cool. If not, and would rather defer to a more experienced player, just say so. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:02 am

I took a look at the map and it looks cool. Looks like 8 globes connected to a sun by DNA strings :) It is a bit large and without xenotechs to complete the game it might be a bit of grinding in the end. But that is far into the future.

Getting into the sun early will be very important. Since the DNA string consists of only a pair of planets at each interval, I suspect we will see a lot of hiccups along the way. Random events and node lines may force us to be resourceful in order to continue our advance towards the sun. We might have to research some techs to increase the range of our normal ships.

I will be away Monday to Thursday, but after that I am able to play regularly. I agree with ZedF that we give Skibum a change to start the game.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:23 am

Nice map to see, but I have bad experience with AI in similar maps.

I tried games in modified "Galactic collision" with long arms with many stars and small center, but AI do not expand good in it. It do not "know" it must expand to center.
Map is also too large. With Fusion it will take Human ~10 turn to reach center. You really want to build fleet, send it to battle and then wait for that battle ~15 turns?

skibum157 wrote he is new player. I suggest make him some small easy map with normal AI with some bonus, not this end-game MicroManagement monster we old players like to play. ;)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 am

I personally am not much of a fan of end-game micromanagement monsters. :) I agree the map is larger than I would normally choose. I also agree that the AI does not know how to handle this kind of map very well and will be slow to expand to the center. Definitely we want to be making that a priority on this kind of map.

That said, if we expand decently well, I don't think we will be building fleets and waiting 15 turns for them to get to battle, generally speaking. We will probably be expanding down the every arm, or at least most of them, before we get into serious fighting -- we should be able to build defense fleets locally in each arm. The issue is not going to be waiting for fleets to get to the front, it's going to be fighting 7 enemies at once. Mind you we will probably have the income and production base to be able to do that.
Zed's TARs (sample):

skibum157

Post by skibum157 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks guys for settin this up! I'm really excited to participate! Everything seems good to me. I'd love to start off, though spring break just hit and I'm traveling without my laptop for the week, so I actualy won't be able to take turns till next monday so if you guys are antsy I'm ok with jumping somewhere else in the turn order. I'm sorry to cause the delay. This is my first trip to Europe though and I didn't bring my laptop. I'll have internet for the week to discuss pre game strategy or anything if you guys don't mind waiting but it's no problem if ya want to get started.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:43 pm

I am thinking a week is a long time to wait; SGs tend to need to keep a certain amount of momentum going or they stall out and folks lose interest. I am happy to take the first 20 turns if I hear no objections; I can play tonight if I get responses immediately, or most likely tomorrow night if I don't hear anything back in the next little bit.
Zed's TARs (sample):

acastus

Post by acastus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:34 am

Go for it ZedF. Just take it easy on the expansion. You're so good you can probably win this in 20 turns. :)

skibum157

Post by skibum157 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:41 am

That's perfectly fine! I look forward to reading your turns. I'm sure I'll learn a lot!
Like I said though, next week on I'll be back and ready to jump in.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 pm

acastus wrote:Go for it ZedF. Just take it easy on the expansion. You're so good you can probably win this in 20 turns. :)

If he gets more than 5 or 6 colonies up in 20 turns I'd be surprised. That's unless we started with more than 1 planet (I didn't look at the map yet), and even then...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 pm

I dunno, depends on how lucky we get, which often depends on how close other races' ideal CH are to ours. We do have at least a dozen node lines out of our HW that are <9 LY long, IIRC.

We do start with 1 extra colony, but it's nothing special. Size 4, low resources (3612).

EDIT: Some other interesting notes about our map:
- There are 20 stars at the end of our arm in a ball shape.
- Node lines are customized. We have 20 node lines to these stars from the HW, all 8.5 LY long.
- None of the star names are race specific. All are generic. Many of them are unpronounceable.
- The map is ~180 LY across from one side to the other. Each arm is about 75 LY long.
- There is about 50 LY of separation between the end of our arm and the end of the next arm.
- You have to get very close to the center of the map before distance between arms drops to less than 20 LY.
- This probably means we will not see a lot of inter-arm traffic from the AI other than near the center of the map.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:14 pm

ZedF wrote:- There is about 50 LY of separation between the end of our arm and the end of the next arm.
- You have to get very close to the center of the map before distance between arms drops to less than 20 LY.
- This probably means we will not see a lot of inter-arm traffic from the AI other than near the center of the map.

At least until late game. I played a helix with a friend a couple months ago and was watching Fusion-era Tarka make 30-40 LY jumps across the helix instead of going along it. Maybe that's a special case.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

No, that's pretty normal, but the AI empires need cruisers and probably fusion before they will make jumps that long. By then we should be more than able to deal with small scout fleets. They will bring strikeforce-level scout fleets eventually, but we will probably be rolling up the other empires before that can happen on this map, given how much faster we are likely to be able to expand than the AI empires.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “T.A.R.”