TAR - Angels & Demons

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: TAR - Angels & Demons

Post by ZedF » Wed May 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Torezu wrote:Somewhat is putting it mildly. AI-controlled Morrigi don't, of course, build CR freighters, so they lose much of the advantage the Morrigi have late game.

I'm more thinking about how they handle strategic movement using the flock drive, actually. Giving the AI enough resource advantage to pose a threat is a relatively easy problem to solve in comparison. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed May 14, 2014 8:22 pm

ZedF wrote:I'm more thinking about how they handle strategic movement using the flock drive, actually. Giving the AI enough resource advantage to pose a threat is a relatively easy problem to solve in comparison. ;)

Oh, yeah, there's that, too. Any human player can pile 15-30 each DEs and CRs in with a small number of DNs and hit 20+ LY/turn pretty easily, for massive surprise attacks. The AI...doesn't do that, not that I've ever seen anyway.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed May 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Fleet mix is one aspect, but think less of where the AI fails to optimize and more of where it fails to accomplish its aims at all. The bigger problem is that while moving penny packets around the map to deal with the latest perceived need can result in the ships getting somewhere in time to do something useful for the other races, it never does for the Morrigi.

This is an intended weakness for the Morrigi as a race, but the AI isn't able to account for it and adapt accordingly; the Morrigi AI is no more or less likely to amass larger groups of ships and move them as a unit than any other race, even though this is an essential requirement for their ability to accomplish their objectives. That's ok for a casual threat level, but to me, that is a counter-indicator for putting it in a role where it is supposed to be a serious challenge to overcome.

Not to imply this is the only reason the Morrigi tend to fare less well in the hands of the AI than some other races do, but I think this is a big part of it.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “T.A.R.”