TAR - Angels & Demons

Tactics and Action Reports.
skibum157

Re: TAR - Angels & Demons

Post by skibum157 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm

It's already been said but this is a really cool concept for a tar. Very creative!

For screenshots do you use a program or just print screen mid combat?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks for the props, skibum! For screenshots I just use pause -> screen cap -> Paint; I'm not super-technical that way. In the past I've typically uploaded the screens to this forum as attachments, but this time I'm using Dropbox to host them.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 pm

T075

Editorial Note:

Ok, here we get to the point where the AIs are just not cooperating the way I'd hoped they would, regarding the kind of challenge I was trying to get into. I've been waiting for well over 25 turns now, watching for the Zuul at the end of the cluster chain past the Hivers to make some kind of move, and for some reason it's just not happening. The Zuul aren't attacking the independent world at Mogo, and they aren't trying to move upchain into the Hiver cluster. I have seen this kind of thing before with Zuul being reluctant to expand in clusters maps, so it could just be a general weakness with the Zuul AI regarding this particular kind of map topography.

The other thing I was hoping to see is the humans expanding more and participating more fully on both fronts. So far, though, they seem content to start some diffident exploration of the Tarka cluster, and ignore the indy they could snap up at Taosi or the prime low-hazard (for them) worlds in the Morrigi cluster, let alone venture further down toward Hiver space.

Now I could just continue on with the Morrigi and gradually make a snack out of the Hivers until such time as the Zuul decide to enter the game or I have the wherewithal to take the fight to them, but the Morrigi are already in a pretty solid position and are about to get freighters to help cement that lead. That seems likely to make it too easy for the game to devolve into the Morrigi steamrollering everything, leaving the Humans only a minimal role in things. So instead, since I've given the Morrigi a good enough start on expansion that the Normal AI should be able to at least hang onto its position, I opted to drop back into the secondary role and take over the Human empire for now.

Hopefully I can bootstrap them up a bit more into a useful ally for the Morrigi, instead of just being cannon fodder. And hopefully during that time, the Zuul will decide to break out of their corner and enter the game proper.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 am

ZedF wrote:Now now, ivra, think about that one for a second, then go back and look at the end of the first post in this thread. ;)

Finally I understand what you meant by that. You were playing Morrigi. The story was written from the human perspective so I just assumed you played them. Even after I reread your first post I overlooked the red part below:

ZedF wrote:- Team 1: Morrigi & humans (player/normal AI), both 1PE, Morrigi/humans start with 6/0 techs
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 am

Yep. :) I started this TAR to experiment with a couple things. One of those relates to a different approach to a story-telling issue I often run across in my TARs -- as the game goes on, it gets easier to be in a position to be posting winning combat results the majority of the time. This robs tension from the story. Switching positions to a player slot that's doing relatively less well can help re-inject some tension, but this time I thought I'd try a different approach and mainly post from the perspective of an empire other than my own. Hence, the allied AI, allowing me to see what they are up to and report from their point of view.

For this to work, though, the humans have to be in contact with and conflict with opponents. If I just keep running as Morrigi, eventually the humans will be a tiny empire-within-an-empire, wholly swallowed by the Morrigi sphere of influence; there would really be nothing to report on from their perspective. So, I need to encourage them to expand some more.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:33 pm

T078

Admiral Ramirez fumed quietly as he quick timed down the final corridor to El Presidente's office. He'd never been summoned so peremptorily by the previous office-holder, and the tone of the summons had never been so curt.

He'd never been practically frog-marched by a pair of armed MPs there to ensure he made his appointment on time, either. He might have been tempted to try to order them away, but the way their hands brushed their holsters ever so casually suggested they might disregard such an order. The thought had tempered his anger with a shot of nervousness the likes of which he hadn't felt in longer than he could remember.

But he seethed inside nevertheless as he was ushered into the presidential office, the guards standing at attention on either side of the door. On the inside of the door. Not a good sign.

Ramirez might have considered speaking first, but the look on the new president's face forestalled him. He had looked up from a datapad instantly as soon as he heard the door open, and his expression upon seeing Ramirez was as stony as if it had been chiseled out of granite. "Sit." As Ramirez did so in the indicated chair, El Presidente tossed the datapad down on the desk where Ramirez could reach it. It was the latest dispatch log from the front -- the raw feed, not the sanitized report Ramirez customarily prepared for the civilian administration.

"This is inexcusable," he stated bluntly. "You sent an 8-ship section to Ke'Moramun. Not only that, you have sent futher such sections to other worlds in the cluster of stars the Tarka claim. Why?"

"We need to explore the region, jefe," Ramirez began, struggling to adopt an explanatory tone and to keep his anger out of his voice. "Part of our mandate is to locate new, suitable worlds for colonization, no?"

"We'll return to the navy's mandate in a moment, Admiral. For now, explain to me why you felt the need to explore a handful of worlds with sizeable groups of combat ships at once, rather than exploring many more worlds with smaller numbers of scout vessels designed for that purpose."

Ramirez shifted nervously. "Ah, well, there was some concern that single scouts might not be able to survive in order to send back a report, jefe. Some of our analysts have suggested that the Tarka may have begun armouring their ships against our primary weapons."

"I see. And as I see from that dispatch, you can now consider those reports confirmed. The dispatch also tells me you sent 8 ships into a completely unknown situation, thereby risking approximately eight times as many trained personnel and more than eight times as many credits worth of military equipment. You further compounded that risk by failing to include sufficient tanker support to give them any option to withdraw when they found themselves in harm's way. Instead they had to stand and fight. Fortunately, they outnumbered the enemy combatants more than two to one. Nevertheless, they failed to destroy even a single enemy combatant. So you sacrificed the lives of over a hundred people, Ramirez. And for what? Sensor logs of a Tarka colony world."

The Admiral pursed his lips and opened his mouth as if to say something. But he seemed unable to think of anything to say.

"I don't hold you responsible for our ships' inability to fight off the Tarka, Admiral. The fact that our weapons are inadequate to the situation we face is not of your doing. We lack the economy to develop new weapons in a reasonable timeframe. Of course, that brings us back to the navy's mandate to locate new worlds for colonization. A casual perusal of the Morrigi star maps shows several promising candidates near their home systems, which are far too warm and pleasant for them to ever consider settling. However, instead, my predecessor has squandered millions of credits on colonization fleets and colony maintenance for the colony at Durendal. It just so happens that most of the property on that world was, until recently, owned by my predecessor and several of his cronies. Presumably it was more satisfying to relocate his political enemies to a punishing colony world instead of one which might more closely resemble a vacation resort."

El Presidente paused, but his glare forestalled any attempt Ramirez might have made to interject even if he had thought of something to say that might redirect this tirade. "But while I don't hold you responsible for our lack of suitable weapons with which to equip our ships, I do expect my Admiralty to use what ships we have with prudence and good judgement. And frankly, yours stinks. You repeatedly underestimated the swarm -- in fact, you were outthought by unthinking robots -- and unnecessary casualties were the result. The Morrigi had to clean up your mess for you, in order for that penal colony to be settled. Your poor planning and misallocation of resources in your attempts to scout the worlds of the Tarkasian cluster have likewise jeapordized hundreds of our people. You are profligate with the lives of the men and women under your command, Admiral Ramirez, and I will not have it."

At that prearranged signal, the two guards stepped forward once again, and grabbed Ramirez before he could resist. "Of course, you may complain that you are being made into a scapegoat. Doubtless there are others within the Admiralty that were also complicit in these decisions. But I believe the reason for their hesitance to object and willingness to go along with them may have something to do with your brother, the former holder of this office. He has been arrested for treason this morning. You will be joining him shortly. At least, that is, unless you try to escape custody, in which case you will be shot. The choice is yours."
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:31 am

T100

"Tell me, Mother Velaquez. Do you think I am a hypocrite?" asked El Presidente, stopping in his walk along the ornamental garden path to examine a fragrantly blooming rose bush.

Maria Velaquez had always found it prudent to be circumspect when dealing with the temporal powers of the day. "Please, to you I should always be Maria, at least privately." The garden grounds were certainly spacious enough that there was no risk of their conversation being overheard, at least, by anyone not a member of El Presidente's security detail. "And why do you imagine that anyone might think you a hypocrite?"

"It is a question much on my mind, lately," the big man replied, lifting a branch of the rosebush to inhale of its scent. "Admiral Ramirez was excoriated in his trial for gross negligence, because he put hundreds of servicemen in harm's way unnecessarily, and they paid the price for it. And yet, with the founding of so many new colonies in such a short period of time, with our navy still under-staffed and under-equipped, it could easily be argued that I have put millions of our colonists, including civilians, in harm's way. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether they, too, will pay the same price."

"I don't see that you, or our star nation collectively, had much option other than to embark upon your expansion programs," Mother Velaquez observed calmly, sniffing the rosebush herself. The scent was indeed beautiful. "Our economy was stagnating under the cost of supporting the colony at Durendal. Other than the translation of the most common languages of the Tarka and Hiver races, no real scientific progress had been made in many seasons. Already the recent advances in biotechnology made during your presidency have helped offset some of the medical problems that come with living in a cold zone. Moreover, while some of these new colonies you've ordered founded are expensive to support, they do seem likely to mature much more rapidly than Durendal has. The most recent breakthroughs in suspended animation will continue to ensure that for the future. And nobody, I believe, could argue that the incorporation of Taosi into our nation has had anything but the best of results from both our perspective and theirs."

"No, that much is true," El Presidente agreed. "When the time comes that I leave this office to my successor, one way or another, it will not be because of my policies in the Morrigi sphere of influence. If I had stopped there, the worst thing that I might be accused of is over-caution. Instead, I followed on with more expansion programs, into Tarkasian space, and therein lies the rub. Already there are those who voice concerns that our reach there has exceeded our grasp, and rightly so." Leaving the rose branch to fall back into its place, he resumed strolling through the garden, giving Maria no option but to follow suit.

"Our colonies in the Tarkasian cluster are all new, fledgling and defenseless," he continued. "Even Zoroaster is still many seasons from being able to support the production of additional defense ships. And supposing it could produce such ships today, what would it be able to build? The same obsolete vessels that were defeated handily at Ke'Moramun. I have not only condoned our reach exceeding our grasp, I have in fact ensured that it would. I wonder how many of those I have sent into harm's way out on that frontier really appreciate what I have done, and curse me for it? How many really understand what future I see for them, and why I felt I had to send them out there regardless?"

"You called for volunteers," Maria reminded him quietly. "Believe me, they were told what is at stake, and that there would be risks. They knew how limited the naval support they would be able to call on would be. Those people can read star maps, too; they know that Zoroaster is over 50 light years from Rigel, and the other worlds farther still. If the Tarka come to repay them for their intrusion into our space, there will be little we can do about it. But they also know that their role is nevertheless vital; that it is essential to have a presence in their cluster, to as much as possible interfere with any Tarkasian attempts to expand. If we are to survive and prosper, we must act, rather than simply react. Those colonies in Tarkasian space are not just there to help prop up our economy and provide new prospects for growth, but are vital for the future production of a forward defense of our core worlds."

"They are a lightning rod." A harsh note crept into El Presidente's voice, counter to Mother Velaquez's serene demeanor and quiet, calm words. "That is why we colonized all four worlds, even though the expense is high and the cost to maintain them all has slowed our development of new weapons. We colonized all four to maximize the chances that at least one of them will survive long enough that we can actually use it to construct that forward defense. But the odds of all of them surviving are remote."

Mother Velaquez frowned at this statement. "What makes you say that? We can be fairly confident that the Tarka have explored all four of these worlds and are interested in none of them. Their climate preferences mirror those of the angels far more than our own."

El Presidente gave a little wintry smile at this mention of angels. "As head of state, I cannot afford to think of the Morrigi as anything other than what they truly are: another alien race, whose interests may perhaps align with ours. You have told me of the illness which their Morru Qu'aan had contracted, and how he had had to be placed in suspended animation until a cure could be developed. Now they are undergoing the trials of Honing, you have said; who knows what the outcome of that might be? Regardless, they have no presence as of yet in the Tarkasian cluster, so we shall not have their aid there. Yet that is where we have most need of it."

Maria's frown deepened momentarily, then her eyes widened. "You mean..."

"Yes," El Presidente replied grimly. "The demons the Morrigi spoke of -- the Zuligi -- are on the move in the Tarkasian cluster. We have already provoked them by destroying one of their own fledgling colonies, mistaking it for a Tarkasian one. They have a handful of ships even now enroute to Zoroaster. Even if we are able to mount a more successful defense there with our obsolete ships than we were able to manage at Ke'Moramun, they will still learn that it is one of our colonies. And then they may very well descend upon that world with all of Satan's fury that they can muster."

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:33 am

Zoroaster, T106

Taken from the bridge voxlogs for the Javelin-class destroyer HMCS San Jose after the battle of Zoroaster:

"We've come to the end of our patrol segment, Captain."

"All right, nav, noted. Helm, bring us to 221.31 mark 46 Zoroaster standard and initiate patrol sweep on segment 18."

"Aye, Captain, coming about."

<sotto voce> "So I was thinking of hooking up with Lucella from Paraiso next time we are on leave, and I wanted to ask..."

<sotto voce> "If you're serious about it, alright. But I told you already, man, so watch your back. Otherwise it's your funeral."

"Can the chatter, people. We're supposed to be on alert, in case you forgot. Zulu target is due to arrive any time this week, and..."

"Captain, I'm reading a strange anomaly in the node scanners. It's a faint signature, out in the system periphery, too weak to get a lock. It's not a normal starstream opening either, more like some kind of distorted echo."

"You can't get a fix? How about a general location? Comms, start hailing the other ships in the garrison. See if any of them have spotted anything; maybe we can triangulate --"

"Spike! Node spike! We have multiple signatures emerging from... it looks like a rip into nodespace of some kind. There's no chart for a nodepoint to Prism, not even a micronode!"

"Get me a count, scan! We can worry about how they got here later."

"Right, sir. Four ships, but wildly different energy signatures. One of them is a pretty weak source, one has more power than any of our tin cans, and two of them have a lot more power. Like, orders of magnitude more!"

"Okay, scan. Four ships is what we were expecting, so let's turn out the welcoming comittee. Comms, start spreading the word, converge on our coordinates."

"Roger, sir. I have priority flags from San Francisco, Alajuela, Cartago, Guanacaste, Heredia, Limon, and Puntarenas. They were all close enough to spot target Zulu's arrival and are enroute. Coordinating now to reach the rest of the garrison."

"Good work, comms. So, we're eight on-scene? Double Zulu's complement, that's better than I was expecting."

"Yes, sir, but Limon's not coming into the skirmish formation. She's drifting to port a little, gaining separation. I don't know where she's going."

"I don't know either, scan, but it's her skipper's call. I'm not going to try and exercise authority I don't have to pull them into the line."

"Yessir. Sensor contact designated Zulu one, burning hot and coming in fast! Picking up a massive signal off this one, visual in 3, 2... gods, what is that?"

"Big. Big, and ugly. Looks like something my kid would put together in shop class."

"Whatever it looks like, the power readings on that thing are way higher than anything we've seen before. Even the angels don't have anything like that on our records!"

"Running spectography through the computer... that's not a conventional nuclear thruster. That's an ion trail, and given the temperature and speed those ions are whipping out of the tailpipe, that thing has to have a fusion reactor aboard."

"Fusion? Maybe SolForce could match that, if they are still around, but --"

"Vampire, vampire! I count... 18 tracks inbound, targeting Limon!"

"Shit -- eightteen? That's more than all eight of us put together..."

"That's as much as the whole garrison can muster. I've no idea how that thing can pack that many missiles, even as big as it is. But if it's got that many missiles, that's got to be its primary armament. Targ, return missile fire as you can."

"Aye, sir; missile away!"

"Vampires coming into gauss range now, captain. Zulu one coming up hot behind, straight for the Limon. It's not slowing at all, looks like it's aiming for a battle pass. We have a new sensor contact designated Zulu two, but it's small, slow, and trailing Zulu one by a large margin."

"Alright, those vampires are worth a shot. Targ, open up on them, one volley only, then reorient on Zulu one while the capacitors recharge. Helm, bring us on a course for the Limon, all ahead flank. We'll pull a hard turn as we approach and try to run parallel to it."

"Firing now... clean miss, sir. These guns just aren't meant for point defense."

"Vampire impact on Limon in 2, 1... damn! Her entire aft third is a wreck, sir. She's drifting, power fluctuations all up and down the hull, but guns are tracking."

"Damn effective main armament too. There's no way we can win a missile duel. Helm, get us in as close as you can; we need those gauss cannons!"

"Aye sir, passing max cannon range now."

"Targ, fire at will."

"On it! Not quite as big as a broad side of a barn, but we're getting some hits even at max range. Only..."

"More vampires, close range! Heredia is hit bad; Limon taking multiple impacts... she's just gone, sir!"

"She won't be the last. Targ! Report!"

"Not as much heat bloom or debris as I'd expect from the gauss impacts. I'm betting they've got some kind of heavy armour plate bolted onto the exterior. A lot of our hits are just bouncing."

"With that engine, it probably has the power to afford a lot more extra mass than we can, and still have good performance. Try and find a weak spot."

"Sir, I'm getting a targeting code patched through from the Alajuela. She's run a metallurgical scan and the nose section seems less well protected than the main body of the ship. They are advising coordinating fire to try and punch through."

"Good. Targ, punch in that code and get to work on that nose section."

"Aye sir. It's taking a beating, though; this will take some time."

"Vampire launch! Cartago is taking hits, multiple penetration explosions... she's breaking up!"

"Target Zulu one has come about, sir, and is braking. It's having some trouble; our cannon fire is imparting countervailing delta-vee."

"Helm, full pursuit. Try to keep us on top of it, close as you can without running into friendly fire or collision."

"Hull breach on the enemy vessel! Explosive decompression of the nose section; we've hurt it bad!"

"Alright, Targ, keep on that compartment seal. They won't have armoured the inside of the ship, so tear up their guts with cannon fire."

"Guns are still hot on the Zulu ship. San Francisco has laser burns across half her surface, intensity similar to angel laser weapons. More vampires! Guanacaste is taking a pounding... core breach! She's gone, sir."

"Comms, scan, where's our backup?"

"Liberia and San Vicente are steaming into visual range now, and Barranca's on the edge of our sensor bubble."

"The rest of the garrison is still enroute, sir."

"Ok, when they get here, we'll bring them up to speed on --"

"Reactor breach on the enemy ship, wahoo! Plasma fires running throughout the hull; it's breaking up!"

"Great work, Targ! Scan, find us another target. Engineering, get me a damage report. Comms, patch that through to the other ships and collect theirs, we need to know where we stand. This is a long way from being over, people."

"Target acquired, Zulu two is closing slowly on our position. Power signature is relatively weak, but mass is high for such a small vessel. Not reading a lot of weapons hardpoints either; looks like cannons similar to our own."

"Helm, lay in an intercept course, we'll try to get behind it. If it's massive but low powered it can't be very maneuverable; maybe we can get in a blind spot. How's the formation shaping up, comms?"

"Lots of damage spread about the skirmish group, sir. San Francisco, Alajuela, and Puntarenas have taken significant laser damage but are still largely operational, but Heredia is limping badly; her main compartment is depressurized and inaccessible. Fortuantely, we are still in pretty good shape. Liberia, San Vicente, and Barranca are all fresh and converging on Zulu two; they've already started to hit it with cannon and missile fire."

"Right, then. Let's get stuck in. Targ, lock in guns and fire as you bear."

"Vampires at long range, sir and closing fast! We don't have the launching platform on scope but it's a large salvo."

"Cut that pursuit tight on Zulu two's tail, Helm! I don't want us drifting any closer to those vampires than we have to."

"Looks like we have another one of those big uglies out there beyond sensor range and Zulu two is acting as spotter, but by their delta-vee those vampires are using reaction drives like ours, so I'm betting they have similar range."

"Just what I was thinking, scan. We need to keep out of it while we take out the eyes."

"Vampire self-detonation, sir. No damage."

"Good. Looks like we were right about Zulu two's maneuverability, too. Helm, target is picking up delta vee from impacts, try to keep atop it. Seems to be taking quite a licking too. Targ?"

"Not many ricochets, Captain, so I don't think it's armoured. It's mostly metal, though, literally built around that rotating device in the center. That shrugs off a lot of punishment and makes it hard to find anything vulnerable to hit."

"Do what you can. Scan?"

"Another vampire wave incoming, sir, but too far away to be a threat. They should self-detonate like the last one."

"And, no more eyes; Zulu two just flew apart!"

"That's the good news. Now for the bad; looks like we get to hunt down the other big ugly. Helm, all about full and backtrack those vampires."

"Right into their teeth, without any point defense... I guess we have no choice."

"Nope, none at all. If we don't close we'll just get picked apart. We'll just have to take our chances getting to knife fighting range."

"Aye aye, sir, all about full."

"The rest of the skirmish line is coming about too; San Francisco and Alajuela are in the lead. Target designated Zulu three on sensors now. Vampires! Alajuela is targeted... and hit! Again! Decompression of the main section! Multiple impacts... she's blown apart, sir."

"Nothing we can do about it. Keep closing range. Project its course, try to get in front of it, then turn parallel and try to keep up as it's about to pass us."

"San Francisco had the same idea, sir. They're in front of Zulu three now, only it's not stopping or changing course. It's shaping up to be a... impact! San Francisco's been T-boned and is breaking up!"

"Bad luck for them. But that collision had to ding up Zulu three's nose some. Targ, get a bead on that impact zone and see if you can punch through with cannon fire. Comms, retransmit the targeting code."

"Right, sir. Firing with all guns now. We're starting to get some penetrations. Taking laser fire in return. Good hit, good hit! Explosion in Zulu three's nose section, it's depressurizing!"

"Excellent, keep on it. Helm, as before, maintain proximity as much as possible."

"Contact Zulu four coming on scope now, sir! It's another smaller vessel, probable fusion drive. Not many weapon hardpoints, though it does have a large canister mounted awkwardly on one side of the ship."

"Tanker, maybe? We'll worry about it later. We need to take care of Zulu three first; it still has teeth."

"More vampires! Tracking on... Barranca just went up, sir. Their drive overloaded and went critical."

"Additional reinforcements steaming in, sir. Desamparados, San Pedro, and Cinco Esquinas."

"Here's hoping they can pull our fat out of the fryer. Scan, where's Zulu four?"

"Closing pretty fast, sir. Our tail gun has been taking potshots; so have everyone else's."

"If that is a tanker... helm, drop pursuit on Zulu three and try to get us away from Zulu four!"

"Explosion on Zulu four! Puntarenas's taken the brunt of it; she's got a hull breach, midships!"

"Fire in the missile bay!"

"Damn it! Engineering, seal that compartment and make sure the ammo bay is secured. Helm, keep us away from that tanker! We've still got a battle to fight. Targ, cut the missile launcher out of the firing pattern and throw everything else at Zulu three!"

"Puntarenas's taking more enemy laser fire... node ring detonation! She's gone, Captain!"

"San Pedro got in some good shots down Zulu three's throat as Puntarenas went up, sir. Must have hit something vital; it's breaking apart!"

"Liberia, San Vicente, and Desamparados are hounding Zulu four, sir."

"Alright, crew. Let them take care of it; we are dropping back to lick our wounds. Engineering, start on the fire protocols; see if you can engage the halon system just for the missile compartment, if it's still working. The rest of you, suit up! We might all be going for a space walk if we can't control this fire..."

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:00 am

T120

We are pleased to report that the menace which so thwarted us at Durendal is no longer a serious threat.

We are also now able to properly defend our own colonies from Tarka reconnaissance forces, and contend successfully with them for control of the unoccupied planets within our own sphere of influence.

Of course, there yet remains a far more serious threat for us to deal with...

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:23 am

Hopefully folks are enjoying the story so far. Questions are also welcome, of course.

Any guesses on how the Morrigi are faring under the control of the AI? If you recall, I left them in a fairly good position (see the T75 map) and they were about to finish researching FTL Economics.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:19 am

ZedF wrote:Hopefully folks are enjoying the story so far. Questions are also welcome, of course.

Yes I am still enjoying it :D

ZedF wrote:Any guesses on how the Morrigi are faring under the control of the AI? If you recall, I left them in a fairly good position (see the T75 map) and they were about to finish researching FTL Economics.

The short answer: Yes! :) Hopefully they have not managed to lose all of their colonies while you were away.

I guess you are constantly pushing ships to the 4 new colonies in the Tarkas space to try to hold them. Do you (as humans) still use the starting weapons (red lasers & gauss)? What are your options?
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

kjn

Post by kjn » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:35 am

From the screen shots, ZedF's using emitters now.

BTW, I'd love to be able to take a look at some of the save files, to see how each enemy is developing.

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 am

kjn wrote:From the screen shots, ZedF's using emitters now.

Wow, how observant I am! :oops:

I guess it was the description of the first battle with gauss and missiles that was burned into my mind when I wrote that...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 am

ivra wrote:The short answer: Yes! Hopefully they have not managed to lose all of their colonies while you were away.

I guess you are constantly pushing ships to the 4 new colonies in the Tarkas space to try to hold them. Do you (as humans) still use the starting weapons (red lasers & gauss)? What are your options?

Sounds from that you are not expecting them to have gained any ground, but have lost ground to the Hivers. Ok, how much?

As far as pushing ships out to Tarka space from the main Human core worlds... not so much! All the emitter ships in the Tarka cluster are new construction out of the two most rapidly developing and most productive colonies on that front. The long path through dead worlds between the Human core and the Tarkasian frontier is still infested with Tarka scout groups, and the Humans have had their new emitter fleets kept too busy with other jobs to clear that path.

kjn wrote:BTW, I'd love to be able to take a look at some of the save files, to see how each enemy is developing.

I can certainly arrange that. Any time in particular you are looking for? Is T125 good or do you want something earlier? I have a number of saves available (usually at round numbers.)
Zed's TARs (sample):

kjn

Post by kjn » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Basically, any of the more recent saves would do.

Return to “T.A.R.”