SotS1-SG15

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

SotS1-SG15

Post by ZedF » Fri May 09, 2014 5:32 am

ZedF wrote:Ok, I am thinking along the lines of a 50/50 game against Difficult AIs but without special rules, to accommodate Trygvasson since he hasn't done one of these before (though I won't be using 10 minute tactical timers.) That said, I am going to aim for a setup that shouldn't be especially challenging, barring bad map luck, so your rivals will start at a slight disadvantage compared to the player race, before considering the 50/50 and Difficult AI settings. In order to facilitate the "not too challenging" aspect I'll be looking at something in the 15-20spp range for map size, which should give the players a fair chance to out-expand their rivals if an aggressive expansion policy is adopted. I'll also take some turns at the start of the game to get folks off on the right foot.

I randomly selected Liir for our race. Game should be up shortly!

The game is a 120 star mini-cluster map, with 6 races, for 20 stars per player. The format is that anyone can play at any time. The initial save file is here.

We have a beautifully central position which will ensure we have a lot of stars to choose from. We also start with 8 bonus techs, where the AIs don't have any bonus techs; everyone starts with a default start, otherwise. As a result, we have a few useful starting techs in particular: Waldos, Gene Manipulation, and Recombinant Fissionables. I redesign our starting vessels to use Recombinant Fissionables and Green Lasers. I also pick Suspended Animation to research next, but do not start funding it yet.

The reason is of course that we only have a budget of $120k to start with, and we're going to need all of that for exploration and to get our first colonies settled. Hopefully there are some nice worlds around, but we won't find them without ships -- moreover we need to stretch our budget as far as we can in that regard, without sacrificing too much speed in locating the best worlds.

In a 100/100 game, I would normally like to send a handful of scouts to each mini-cluster so we can picket all the worlds we explore and monitor the explorations of the other races we come into contact with. But under these settings, we can't really afford that yet, in part because there are so many neighboring miniclusters within relatively easy reach, given that we don't need to rely on nodelines. I think we're going to have to attempt to have each of our exploring vessels explore at least two worlds, and perhaps in neighboring clusters. We'll have to backfill with pickets later, as we can afford to.

For our exploration toward the center of the map, I think it best to emphasize speed and picket capability. So, I decide to send out groups of 5 ERs and a single tanker, with the intent that each such group will be responsible for exploring 2 mini clusters. For the map edges, a different approach seems called for; if I were to send 5 ERs to every mini-cluster I'd soon cripple our empire with fleet maintenance costs. Instead I will be using just 1 tanker and 1-2 ERs per mini-cluster for the map edges. We should follow these up with small colonization fleets to find and settle on the best possible worlds we can find in each direction. Defenses will follow after that.

Speaking of defenses, we need a ship design to guard our worlds from VNs and tackle any swarms we come across. Liir Fission DDs are too slow to run away from VN probes (or anything else really), so we'll have to fight them. I guess we want green lasers in every slot, but put a gauss cannon in the rear turret to better battle reflective swarm larvae and queens in autoresolve. We won't be building any right away but it'll probably be needed later.

I took 20 turns. During these 20 turns we've found several colony prospects. So far we've only founded one new colony apart from our homeworld, as most of the nice colonies were unfortunately not so close by. But that's about to change; the next player will have the opportunity to found several new colonies. We also have several scout groups exploring other mini-clusters near our starting area. As mentioned, these are being sent out in small batches; make sure to split them up as they are approaching the cluster they have been sent to explore.

We have also gotten a start on developing anti-VN guards for our colonies. For this purpose we can either use 2 GLazDDs (armour) or 3 ERG-DD (ER). The numbers are important because if the DDs fail to hold off the VNs and get eaten, you need 2 armours or 3 ERs for the VN mothership to make a new mothership and leave the planet alone. We'll need to continue building these defenses as we settle more worlds; some prospects have garrisons enroute, but not all.

We're now at a point where we have enough colony prospects about to be settled for our first wave that we probably won't be able to settle all of them immediately, so we can afford to slow down on expansion for a bit. We have a couple options here. We could turn on tech and start working on Suspended Animation for the next wave -- there is a 250 CH planet next to our HW that was not quite attractive enough for me to settle in the first wave but would make a good candidate for the second. Or we could try to save up to $1M first to avoid morale issues later. I'll leave this decision in the hands of the next player.

We can't really afford much of a fleet at the moment, but that should be ok as I wouldn't expect to see more than singleton scouts from anyone other than the Zuul. But we do need to get our first wave colonies growing now so that they can develop and ultimately build up a sufficient DD defense force for when Zuul bore fleets do start prowling around our borders.

We do have contact with the Morrigi and the Tarka so far; the former opened fire on us, and we encountered the latter at a swarm world. The Morrigi ideal CH is far from our own, so they might make decent allies; I've opened up a small annual gift to them to improve relations. The Tarka, on the other hand, prefer planets very similar to our own so we are bound to be in competition for worlds. I have not started giving them any annual gifts, but I'll leave that up to the next player.

Save file after 20 turns is here.

Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Trygvasson

Re: SotS1-SG15

Post by Trygvasson » Fri May 09, 2014 7:16 am

Good game so far Zedf! Thanks for accomodating my 50/50 preference - appreciate it :) Now, we'll be doing some serious exploring, encountering and expanding before moving up the tech tree. Since most of you guys are weekend players I'll leave you guys to it until Sunday night; I get my gaming done in the weekdays.
Brute force. If it's not working, you're not using enough.

ivra

Post by ivra » Fri May 09, 2014 2:18 pm

I'll take a few turn now while those of you that live in North America are at work. I will be finished before your workday is over. :)
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ivra

Post by ivra » Fri May 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Turn 21
Found an independent Morrigi Colony. I started researching Suspended Animation. I remembered ZedF said he was giving money to the Morrigi Empire, so I moved the scout from Orxhmenos (a rock) away in order to let the Morrigi scout land without a fight.

Turn 22
Salusa and Tully colonized. Whops, already 50% to planetary development after 3 colonies.

Turn 23
Corvus colonized. Ouch, 4 colonies under development and we are losing money even if I am producing nothing and researching nothing. I also stopped the gift to Morrigi. I should never have started researching Suspended Animation, those 9% will dwindle quickly. I am putting every developing word on 100% terraforming and max overharvesting to reduce the CH. I might have to scrap some of our ships. We have almost 36000 in the bank, but are losing 11000 this turn. There are 4 colony ships colonizing existing colonies this turn. That will reduce the CH a little and remove 2000 from ship maintenance.

Turn 24
Lost a colonizer to a colony trap, but there are two more colonizers coming next turn. The colony has CH=9.64 so I am not going to wait with that one. Our overspending has been reduced to 4000.

Turn 25
Had to kill a Morrigi scout that arrived at our colony at Salusa. It was no problem with 3 ERs. Also, another independent Morrigi colony was found. Wow, we are earning money again: +900, even after I turned off overharvesting and put 37 into research to prevent the % from dropping. I am not going to start giving Morrigi any money, since they have a scout at Deneb; a world we want to colonize. I have to kill another of their scouts.

Turn 26
Poha colonized. +9000 this turn.

Turn 27
Malteus colonized. Down to -5000. Cash on hand is currently at 34000. The scout at Deneb was destroyed, and the world will be colonized.

Turn 28
Deneb colonized. Ouch, too much spending on ships and colonies. Projected new treasure is -15000. I had to stop the asteroid monitor research going on at Ixion. I also had to scrap a lot of ships, in addition to putting everything on overharvest (including our HW). Hopefully, we will not be in the red next turn.

Turn 29
Well, we are at -10472, but earning 265 each turn. The only ships left are the garrison fleets at our colonies. There are 2 colonizers at Deneb that will colonize it and help remove some CH. Until I have control of our money, I will keep everything on full overharvest and on full terraforming.

Turn 30
-8273 cash and earning 4259.

Turn 31
-513 and earning 2413.

Turn 32
+906 and earning 4261

Turn 33
+7426 and earning 4302. I have turned off overharvesting.

Turn 34
+22128 and earning 7386.

Turn 35
+25249 and earning 10608.

Final note
I think I just destroyed this game. I think we should use this as a lesson and that somebody else should redo these 15 turns. The lessons learned are:
We cannot afford to colonize all the worlds that already have colonizers sent towards them. Corvus and Tully should not be colonized. Use caution if colonizing Salusa and Deneb. We might have to wait with them.
We cannot afford to build a single ship if we are to keep those we already have.
We cannot afford to research anything.
We cannot afford to research the monitor at Ixion.

I do not use to play on a 50/50 setting and saw the warning lights too late. Also, I trusted that we could afford to colonize everything ZedF had sent colonizer ships to. And that is wrong. We need to be very careful of colonizing anything with a CH>150.

Good luck to the next player. Be careful of every coin you use. I have attached the save game file in case somebody likes to see how bad our situation will be if we do what I just did. So grab the game from ZedF and continue from that instead.

SotS1-SG15 T035.sav
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Yeah, I did say we probably couldn't afford to colonize everything right away! Guess you missed that, but if you just skimmed my report it might have been easy to miss.

I was not sending out colonizers only to places I wanted to settle immediately -- as I mentioned, I was sending out colonizers to follow up my scouts, in case they found good worlds to colonize, i.e. before I knew for certain what I would find where. All those colonies can be founded, we just have to prioritize the best ones first, wait for our earliest ones to start to grow some more, and not colonize new ones when our dev costs are more than 50-66% of our current income. ;)

Looking at our T20 income, it seems to me the only thing we need to do is wait on colonizing Tully and Corvus until our income grows a bit. Adding together the costs for Biima, Poha, Maltus, Deneb, and Salusa only puts us to 70k dev cost, which is less than 66% of our income. After colonizing those, our expenses including ship maintenance would be around 90% of our income, but those colonies all have low to very low CH and would mature rapidly. I would be tempted to keep researching the monitor at Ixion since it has a decent colony prospect underneath for our 2nd wave, but it could be deferred some if necessary.

Whoever is next can either go back to T20 to get back on track, or pick up ivra's save if you want to inject some interesting times (seriously booming our economy at the expense of being entirely vulnerable if any rivals should come calling.)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Trygvasson

Post by Trygvasson » Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Oh my, what a rollercoaster! Would love to jump in, but can't before Sunday night

acastus

Post by acastus » Sat May 10, 2014 2:03 am

I decided to take a look at ivra's T35 state of the game and a few minutes later I had completed 10 more turns. So I didn't really do anything apart from watch the colonies develop. Biima was fully developed by T39 and its contribution to the economy was a small relief to our economic woes. Poha will be completely developed in a few more turns and that will help too. I don't know if we can hold Corvus as there are 8 red Zuul ships stationed on a nearest-neighbor planet. In another 20 turns or so we should be back on our feet and rocking as the other colonies come online.

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat May 10, 2014 4:37 am

@ZedF:
I read what you said, but your play style is so different from mine that when I started to play I forgot what you said. I have a more lazy and casual style of play. I use the I (next idle fleet) shortcut a lot and try to avoid fleet that I cannot give any order. So I never build a colonizer unless I know where I want it to go and colonize. I almost never stop in deep space. It is not as efficient, but it saves me the hassle of having a lot of fleets that I need to go through and ignore when I go through them with the I shortcut. Unfortunately there is no 'Do Nothing this Turn' command in this game to remove those fleets from the idle fleet list. So when the colonizers arrived I just colonized the world since in my mind set it would not be there if I didn't intended to colonize the world right away.

@acastus:
That is a crazy decision. :) But you are right that when they are mature we have 8 colonies all over the galaxy from where we can continue our expansion. I just think the cost to get there was too high. I scuttled all our ships and burned away 500 resources at our HW among other things.

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat May 10, 2014 11:45 am

What you have seen happening after turn 20 was something that happened in a parallel universe, far far away...

I have decided to redo my turns. The reason is simple: We are up against a hard AI and I would like us to have at decent a chance of winning the game. I feel I have ruined this game and I think it would be much more fun for everybody if I present a different ending after turn 35. So here I go again.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat May 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Well, what you can do is let the colonizers heading to Corvus and Tully arrive at their destinations, then put them on guard mode. Hopefully they should have enough fuel left that all but one can back off 1 turn of movement when we are ready to colonize, and then return after the first colonizer checks for traps. But we ought to be able to colonize the others. We won't be able to do much else for awhile until Biima and Poha grow some but that should be (relatively) quick.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat May 10, 2014 1:27 pm

I am going to moderate my measures and not get too extreme. I am not going to abandon the researching of the monitor at Ixion. I am going to wait with colonizing Corvus and Tully, and I am not going to start researching anything yet.

Turn 21
Found an independent Morrigi Colony. I remembered ZedF said he was giving money to the Morrigi Empire, so I moved the scout from Orxhmenos (a rock) away in order to let the Morrigi scout land without a fight.

Turn 22
Salusa colonized. Discovered Marklar (S=1, CH=162, R=6078). I am building ships to colonize this instead of Corvus and Tully. Unfortunately Marklar is not close to neither Corvus nor Tully, so I had to build new ships.

Turn 23
Our bank account is currently at 205 000, a nice reserve once the colonization costs start to roll in.

Turn 24
Lost a colonizer to a colony trap, but there are two more colonizers coming next turn.

Turn 25
Had to kill a Morrigi scout that arrived at our colony at Salusa. It was no problem with 3 ERs. Also, another independent Morrigi colony was found.

Turn 26
Poha colonized.

Turn 27
Had to destroy the yellow Morrigi scout at Deneb since I would like to colonize this world. Malteus colonized. Found another colony I would like to colonize: Talok (S=6, CH=124, R=7099). The 3 colonizers at Corvus is close by and will be sent to colonize this world instead. No need to build a garrison fleet either since there are already enough ERs in the area.

Turn 28
Found a third independent Morrigi colony. Deneb colonized. Found Hyperion (S=6, CH=164, R=3044). Building ships to colonize it.

Turn 29
Nothing special.

Turn 30
I feel confident that I have control over the situation now, so I have started researching Suspended Animation, although not much money is given to our researchers (100 turns to completion). I am trying to save up to a million, currently at 420 000.

Turn 31
Found a second Alien wreckage close to Talok.

Turn 32
Lost a scout fight to yellow Morrigi. The world looked very nice so I am sending another ER to take out the morrigi ship. I think it has a very low CH.

Turn 33
Lost a ER to yellow morrigi. Got to close to a alien derelict and lost the ER. The morale at our HW just reached 85%, which gives us a little income boost.

Turn 34
I am pushing it a little by colonizing two more worlds this turn, but I think it will work.

Turn 35
Marklar and Talok colonized.

Final notes:
This time it is much better. We have 8 worlds this time as well. The difference is that we have all our ships (more or less), we are still researching the asteroid monitor at Ixion, and we have almost 600 000 in our bank account.

So please use this save game to continue this SG. Our chances will be much higher using this one than my first disastrous attempt.

SotS1-SG15 T035.sav

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat May 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Ok, I will take a turn. Ordinarily I wouldn't play with just one other player going after my start, but technically we've had 3 (ivra, acastus, ivra) so I'll make an exception this time. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Trygvasson

Post by Trygvasson » Sat May 10, 2014 5:52 pm

An interesting start, by any standards! And I'm already learning from this - I'm much more research-oriented from the get-go, would never go 20+ turns without researching. Can't wait to get my hands on this, looking forward to tomorrow night :-D

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat May 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Turn 35: A few minor adjustments, such as the Hyperion colonization force being rerouted to Bolovax Nik, but mostly we appear to be in good shape. I also re-route the colonizers waiting at Ixion to Ymar, where they are more likely to be able to land first. We can build colonizers for Ixion later once our economy is in better shape and we can hack Ixion at more than a snail's pace.

Interturn: defeat a badly damaged Morrigi scout at Bolovax Nik.

Turn 36: Zip. I want to build a couple more colonizers and garrison for Hyperion, but I also want to get to $1M as our HW is about to start having morale issues. Hyperion is low on resources so I decide it can wait a little longer while we build our rainy day fund. But building up that fund is probably going to make for some pretty quiet turns...

Turn 37-39: Zip.

Turn 39 Interturn: Auto-peace with the Morrigi at Kumixhos with out tanker. Peace is achieved and we move on, after discovering Kumixhos is a decent colony prospect but not an immediate priority to settle. I am hopeful that relations have improved with the Morrigi that we can continue to use the auto-peace-move-on strategy to keep our few scouts exploring in their neighborhood alive.

Turn 40: Biima is now almost fully mature, and our income rises significantly as its I/O now adds to our income rather than going toward development.

Interturn: Autopeace Morrigi scout at Aegina and explore it; it's a dustball but the Morrigi might like it.

Turn 41-43: Not much. Find a couple Zuul colonies, but nothing we can do anything about at the moment. The Swarm is spreading to Regis, where there is a Morrigi scout, but our nearby colony lacks an asteroid belt and isn't threatened.

Turn 44: Spot a fleet of 19 Morrigi ships that are presumably going to colonize Orxhmenos, which is near Salusa. It's also near Regis and Ke'Kaldo, both swarm worlds or about to be swarm worlds, so I expect this colony to get toasted by a swarm queen in the near future. I move our scout off Orxhmenos to watch the fireworks... though not very far as it's out of gas (and there are no tankers nearby.) I see about sending one up from Biima.

On our end, we are colonizing Bolovax Nik this turn. It's a lovely Muur-like world and should grow quickly. Poha is almost at 100M pop now and should start contributing significantly to our economy soon.

Turn 45: Hey, look at that; we have $1M in the bank finally, and our development costs are back under 50% of our budget. That means we can finally start thinking about building ships again and what we are planning to colonize next. It also means we can start thinking about research! I turn Suspended Animation research up with the intention of getting to 50%, which should take 4 turns at almost 100% budget; then we can turn it down again using sprint-and-drift and start preparing a second colonization wave.

And it looks like several of our colonies just broke into the millions of population so we should start seeing a big reduction in our current development costs for current colonies over the next dozen turns. Definitely preparation for a new colonization wave is called for.

Interturn: Auto-peace with the Morrigi scout at Thives. This is now our current top priority colony prospect, with a CH of just under 100! Biima will be starting on a colony group for here shortly... there are 3 nice colony prospects in this mini-cluster but Thives is by far the best.

Turn 46: Our scout at Ultara is auto-peaceing the Morrigi Indy there. A Morrigi scout has just arrived to join the party; I note that if we were to leave they'd get to claim the indy for free. But we are sticking around for auto-peace purposes, since keeping the randoms away is a good thing.

Turn 47: Explore Lagash and Aichi, near the red Zuul colony we've discovered. There is not much good for us down this way; our scout fleets in this area will reunite to refuel and then will need to keep exploring elsewhere or find something else useful to do. That will be up to the next player!

Turn 48: Discover Zo'Trak, a nice looking colonizable world. We also encounter the Hivers, who are in the process of sending a gate fleet here. We need to know what their ideal CH is so we know if they are better suited as potential allies or rivals for living space.

Turn 49: Suspended Animation is at 50%! I turn down research funding and start building a colonization/garrison fleet for Thives at Biima. The Morrigi scout at Ultara destroyed itself against the indy colony's defenses. Poha is now fully mature and able to build ships for our continued expansion.

Interturn: First contact with the Hivers ends with neither side firing a shot, allowing us to get good enough scans to find their ideal CH is pretty similar to the Morrigi. This is good enough to suggest they should be allies, not enemies. We've now met everyone!

Turn 50: I start with a token annual gift to the Hivers, as well as the Morrigi. Our colony fleet at Biima is ready to head to Thives (and I queue up a new garrison for Biima as its garrison is heading to Thives along with the colony group.)

We spot another swarm heading to Hyrakius, but again our colony in the area (Marklar) has no asteroid belt and is safe.

So, it's going to be up to the next player to decide what to start colonizing, and when! Some of our best colony prospects are:
- Thives: colony fleet just launched and should be colonized ASAP.
- Hyperion: relatively low CH world at CH 160, but also low resources and doesn't give us a new base in another minicluster, as Bolovax Nik is already colonized there.
- Ymar: Around CH 200, has 3 colonizers in the area already (moved from Ixion.) It's a good sized world with average resources; the only downside is again we already have bases in that mini-cluster at Poha and Deneb.
- Zo'trak: well the Hivers will get there first, but they won't want to colonize it quickly. Still I don't think we will be able to get it without a NAP.
- Tully: Has the advantage of being a new base in a new mini-cluster, but it's well in our backlines. CH is about 225 and we already have 3 colonizers there.
- Akxhushtal: In the same mini-cluster with Thives, so when Thives is settled we'll already have a base there. It's about CH 225 and a mid-sized world with average resources.
- Corvus would be really good to colonize from the point of view of having a closer base of operations on the red Zuul front than Talok. But it's about CH 240 so is going to need a couple extra colonizers and/or suspended animation; moreover it's close enough to the Zuul to be at risk from enemy bore fleets.

Also we still have several fleets out scouting new mini-clusters, so it's entirely possible we might turn up other good candidates for a colonization fleet. At this point we do want to get our second colonization wave going shortly. We have sufficient funds for ship-building at the moment, so if we feel we need to build further defenses first (e.g. to fight swarm) or picket ships to guard our borders and/or strip derelicts, then we could spend a few turns doing that... but if so, we don't want to defer colonization of more worlds for very long.

One possibility would be to colonize Ymar and/or Tully with the colonizers we have in place (along with Thives when that fleet arrives), while we wait for Suspended Animation to come in. With our current budget, colonizing both these worlds immediately would just about max out our development costs again, leaving us with no ability to build colony fleets for any other nice prospects we find, exploration fleets to keep looking for them, or garrison fleets to defend them. But, as we have several colonies close to being mature this would only be a short-term issue. The more conservative play would be to colonize one and wait a bit for the second.

Here is the save file. Good luck to the next player!

Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat May 10, 2014 7:34 pm

This is looking good.

Just a little nitpicking: The morale of our HW is 83%. The income of our HW will increased by 5%, 10% or 15% (I do not remember how much) if it reaches 85%. Building a colonizer two turns in a row will fix this. I also think that we should primarily use our HW for colonizer production and not Biima. But then again, using Biima for the colonizers to Thieves was probably an exception.

I also guess that it was much more fun continuing from my second attempt where there was something to do.

Return to “T.A.R.”