SotS1-SG16

Tactics and Action Reports.
kjn

Re: SotS1-SG16

Post by kjn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Yeah, getting VRF, PD, and AP drivers sounds good. That places us nicely for decent cruisers and quite a punch on our DEs.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:49 am

T101:
  • Hold off settling Mamoru to see if the Hivers grab it.
  • VRF completes, start point defense.
  • Form a handful of ships into A01 Pyyrhic Raiders, to on a suicide mission to attempt to destroy the colony at Pyrrus. I'm not sure we can hold the world yet, but we can set the red zuul back. The fleet is placed into 2 groups, a distraction group to draw off the defenders and the group actually planned to attack the planet, with a note to that effect on the fleet.
  • Combat at Pentacon: No enemies, glass former pink colony.
  • Gotham: One enemy cruiser here. We hide in the asteroid belt to reduce the cruiser to 3 green lasers, and kill it, then the colony.
  • Giedi Prime: Scout finds 2 enemy cruisers, 4 destroyers, and a baby colony. Can't do the same trick here. We try to hide in the asteroids, but start too close to the Zuul.
  • Musca: Alien Wreckage still present. Lava world.
  • Volans: Ditto. Also lava world.
  • Ymar: Enemy has 3 cruisers, 2 destroyers. Do some damage to the colony, but can't quite kill it and will need to try again. Red zuul has fusion warheads; those hurt!
  • Ivra and I both should ideally have paid more attention to which kinds of ships we were sending to attack, rather than just arbitrarily grabbing 2 at random. In hindsight, we wanted to send mass driver armours on these missions, not gauss armours (not enough bombardment damage) or war destroyers (too slow).

T102:
  • UpSouth fleet needs a new forward base. How about the former pink homeworld?
  • Send a bigger fleet to hopefully glass Ymar, similar to the one being sent to Pyyrus.
  • Garnet: Scout finds 2 cruisers. This is a mature colony. Manage to flee and report.
  • Barak Kor: Scout finds mature colony with 3 CAs, 5 DDs, 13 sats. There are asteroids, but we start too close to the Zuul to flee. But then the Zuul offer peace; they must have only had non-combat ships. We take it.
  • Lagash: Small attack group finds 1 cruiser again, but no asteroids to hide in this time. Missiles hurt too much; we damage the cruiser but no more.
  • Mogo: Amazingly the swarm is still here. I would have thought someone would have cleared it by now. This is a reasonably nice looking world! We should make an effort to colonize it.

T103:
  • Good news, PD completes early at just over 50%! Start AP drivers and set research to reach 50% in 4 turns. Start redesigning ships; some missile defense is just what our fleets need to fight red zuul.
  • Redesign several of our ships to use PD. For the Armour and War DDs I opt to retain the version with gauss cannons as well as the version with PD in our ship design registry. It looks to me like we are better off having fleets with some ships equipped with PD and some without, than trying to have a single design with some small mounts devoted to offensive weapons and others devoted to PD; this will give us better control over how much PD to use and where to concentrate it in the formation.
  • Start fleet construction of PD ships to supplement our fleets.
  • Colonize Pentacon, Gotham, and Aditi.
  • Dosadi: Attackers encounter 1 red CA. We only have gauss DDs and there are no asteroids; loss, but the tanker escapes to report.
  • Uxor: Scout encounters 2 CA, 1 DD, and a mature colony. We are able to retreat to report.
  • Caladan: Attackers encounter no defenders. Victory.
  • Kreelar: Attackers encounter 6 CA, 2 DD. We are able to sneak our warships in through the asteroids to snipe the colony by using our tanker as a distraction, but cannot hold the planet. I note that a swarm queen is due here in 3 turns.
  • Altair: Scout encounters no defenders, but a mature planet. Use the asteroids to evade detection.

T104:
  • Colonize Hebron.
  • Build more PD ships.
  • Combat at Kanjar Ro: Scout vs. 5 cruisers & baby colony. Hide in the asteroids to report.
  • Errai: Scout vs. Rip Bore at a lava world. We damage it but don't kill it this turn.
  • Laertes: Scout vs. 3 cruisers and baby colony. Hide in the asteroids to report.
  • Lagash: Settler and colonizer vs. damaged cruiser and colony. Loss.
  • Peck: Small attack group vs. 6 CA, 3 DD, 6 sats. Our tanker flees to report.

T105: Just a few final notes...
  • Hivers finally settled Mamoru this turn. Hopefully they will remember to re-settle Vela now but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Pyyrhic Raiders are about to attack Pyyrus, remember that group 1 is the decoy group and group 2 is to attack the planet. Ymar Raiders should be arriving at Ymar shortly with a similar attack plan, though at the moment it's at Aditi and could be called off if it seems too risky. Our slhips are slow enough that these may be arriving too late and the colony may have matured too much, but I thought they were worth the attempt. For other worlds, by the time we can arrive the colony will have matured so I wouldn't bother with less than a full assault fleet.
  • I think we want to keep our PD capability hidden from the red zuul unless we see a big incoming attack, until such time as we are ready to start launching serious attacks on red zuul holdings. Conventional wisdom says destroyers can't win a brawl with cruisers, but we are in a position once again to prove conventional wisdom wrong -- in fact, as always, it depends on circumstances. In this circumstance we have a good defensive weapon that will largely blunt the enemy's main offense and they have not yet developed a counter for our own offense. So, we will soon have a window of opportunity where the Zuul will need to react to us and we can make significant gains as long as that window remains open. We can keep that window open as long as possible by retaining the element of surprise until we are ready to use it.
  • Galifrey and Cuthbert are going to come under attack shortly from small node bore fleets. We shouldn't need to include PD ships in our defense forces for these attacks since they are only bore fleets. The PD-equipped ships we've built so far are planning to rendezvous with our defense forces against these attacks at Aditi once we are ready to launch an attack from there. DownSouth fleet currently has no PD ships and is big enough to handle both in sequence, or to split up and handle both in parallel, or even send some ships on to Aditi rendezvous while still dealing with both bore fleets -- up to the next player exactly how to handle it.
  • UpSouth fleet is still enroute to Pentacon, as is a bunch of PD reinforcements built out of Bronson Alpha. Izakis has a bunch of reinforcements (PD and otherwise) for Yellow Peril and/or North fleet. Yellow Zuul has been pretty quiet lately; we could take a stab at him if we like. I have not built any new reinforcements yet this turn, so it's up to the next player to decide what they'd like to do in that regard and with respect to stuff built last turn that has just been given movement orders.

Good luck! The save file is here.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

kjn

Post by kjn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Playing right now.

kjn

Post by kjn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:22 pm

AP drivers just finished ahead of schedule (T111), and now we need to set another tech goal. We also have circa 2.6 million credits available.

At max research we have the following options:

Tarkasian Living Steel (2t) -> Polysilicates
Orbital Foundries (3t) -> Cruiser Construction
Integrated Sensors (3t) -> Advanced Sensors
Fusion (18t)

Of do people have another nice target they want to move towards, like trade?

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:03 pm

My vote goes to:
Orbital Foundries (3t) -> Cruiser Construction
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:22 pm

I would probably get Poly before cruisers (either via Orbital Foundries or via TLS) if I expected red Zuul to switch from mostly missiles to mostly direct fire weapons as a result of upcoming combats. We are likely going to have a lot more combat with destroyers before cruisers are a significant fraction of our navy and it makes sense to me to buff them for more survivability against enemy brawlers; right now they pop pretty quickly if given a solid punch.
Zed's TARs (sample):

kjn

Post by kjn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 am

Wiggled back and forth a lot, but decided on Tarkasian Living Steel first - the main reason was that it buffs our ships at once.

Right now, the red is mainly using (fusion) missiles with some plasma cannons, and our DEs can handle that.

But what I really feel the need of is more intelligence right now - our ships are relatively slow and need to be moved carefully if they are to stop a Zuul offensive, or be used offensively.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:42 am

Since we don't have sensors yet, but should have some idea of where red's node lines into our space are (at least I put up a couple notes on red planets to that effect while I was playing), we can always use the old standby of building a few scout ships and sending them on suicide missions to check the force levels at nearby enemy worlds.

Alternatively (but in a similar vein) use a tanker, turn off auto-refuel, and send it to a red planet with the intention of manually refuelling it only enough to get it 1.5-2.0 LY away from its destination. When it runs out of gas it drops out of hyperspace it will stop and can act as an observation post until the Zuul decide they want to try to chase it off at sublight speeds, whereupon it can refuel itself and head elsewhere. Our ships (including tankers) have such short range that fine control over just how much gas is in the tank should be relatively easy.
Zed's TARs (sample):

kjn

Post by kjn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:36 am

Nice trick that with the tankers!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:11 am

How're your turns coming, kj?
Zed's TARs (sample):

kjn

Post by kjn » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 am

Finished early Tuesday, but then I ran into trouble with my ISP. Sorry about that; here's the save and my notes. Most of it is mundane, but check the issues at the bottom.

Turn 105

General state seems quite good. We are up to 34 colonies, and most of them are either mature or with low CH and high infrastructure already.

The red Zuul have at least 15 colonies, and they may have up to 18 more, but it's quite probably they have no more than 25 or so colonies.

The yellow Zuul are still at 6 colonies, and I think I'd like to knock them out first, giving us more quickly maturing colonies and a safe frontier.

BTW, I'm not too happy with the name of the A01 Yellow Peril fleet - the "yellow peril" is a hugely racist expression, so I'm renaming it.

Design two new ships:

CommandDE Gauss s02 - used against red until we are ready to show our PD ships
ShuttleDE PD s02 - assault shuttle carrier

(I skip the HH prefix since it doesn't really add any new information about the ship - the role is the same.)

Order some shuttle carriers at Izakis. Order some more PD ships (including a CNC one) at Bronson Alpha to send to Pentacon.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - scout v 5 CR & colony; hide in asteroids

Pyyrus - suicide raid v 1 sat 2 DE 13 CR & immature colony - the first group manages to draw the main defenders off by going left, while the planet busters go right. However, when they approach the planet they find a bunch of refineries in their path, and the missiles destroy the group. :-(

Errai - scout v rip bore - draw, loses the mission section
Laertes - scout v 4 CR & colony; hide in asteroids
Kreelar - settler-tanker v 2 DE 6 CR - loss
Ymar - settler-tanker v 3 CR & immature colony; hide in asteroids

Turn 106

The scattered ships outside Pentacon has rendezvoused, I send some of them towards Caladon via the stranded scout outside Kreelar, the scout is sent back to Kreelar to check if the Zuul or the swarm won.

Start building an anti-swarm fleet at Griffin and Hydra, meant for Mogo. I will likely route them via Gotham.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - scout v 5 CR & colony; hide in asteroids
Errai - scout v rip bore; win
Laertes - scout v 4 CR & colony; hide in asteroids

Turn 107

The red Zuul appears to have defeated the silicoid queen at Kreelar, but they are down to five ships.

AP drivers at 55%, so dialing down tech investments to 20% or so. I've used up a large part of our reserve, but we have plenty of morale to spare. Some more ships ordered.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - scout v 5 CR, 1 DE & colony: hide in asteroids
Galifrey - Downsouth v 2 CR 2 DE: win, at a loss of a few DEs
Laertes - scout v 4 CR & colony: hide in asteroids
Kreelar: scout v 4 CR 1 DE (2 damaged CRs) - no CnC, loss
Peck: settler-tanker v mature colony (10 LD sats), 3 DE 4 CR: loss

Turn 108

Colonise Caladan. Send out tankers to refuel some stranded ships. Some more ships ordered. Decide to defend Cuthbert with mainly new ships and a few ships from A01 DownSouth Fleet, so the latter can be sent to Aditi.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - scout v 5 CR 1 DE & colony: hide in asteroids
Laertes - scout v 4 CR & colony: hide in asteroids

Winath (yellow) - 2 scouts v 4 CR 6 DE & colony: The yellow Zuul have CR CnC now. The scouts split up and one manages to retreat. The planet is sending 2 planetary missiles per launch.

Ymar - ymar raiders v 7 CR 5 sats. The strike group manages to reach the planet, but it has too large a population to kill using only four DEs.

Turn 109

Colonised Caladan. Send A01 UpSouth fleet to Kreelar. A01 DownSouth Fleet goes to Aditi. Scout sent to Furud.

The red Zuul are sending out ships to intercept some of stranded scouts.

End turn

Kanjar Ro: scout v 2 DE 5 CR & colony: hide in asteroids
Syrma: scout v Zuul Asteroid Monitor (no colony): nice planet!
Laertes: scout v 3 CR & colony: hide in asteroids
Deep space (outside Metaluna): loss

Turn 110

Send attack against Winath by A01 DownSouth Fleet.

End turn

Kanjar Ro: hide in asteroids
Zoroaster: scout v 3 DE & colony: cease combat; mature colony
Laertes: scout: hide in asteroids
Dorsai: 2 scouts v 37 DE 5 CR & mature colony: split up, one scout escapes
Fomalhaut: scout v 12 DE & mature colony: loss

Turn 111

Early AP drivers! Decide on Tarkasian Living Steel as per earlier discussion.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - scout v 6 CR - hide in asteroids
Ilona - scout v mature colony (5 missiles) - loss
Furud - scout v baby colony - win, but engine destroyed
Laertes - scout v 5 CR & colony - hide in asteroids
Kreelar - 39 DE (A01 UpSouth Fleet) v 1 DE 4 CR - draw; all CRs destroyed but the enemy tanker evades
Cargg - scout v 3 DE 5 CR & immature colony - loss
Cuthbert - 13 DE & colony v 2 DEs (armor & bore)

Turn 112

The battle of Kreelar shows how fragile our DEs are; we lost 9 DEs to take down 4 CRs, which fought without CnC. Part of it was due to bad luck - a Zuul CR lost its engine section and drifted out of combat, taking time to hunt down while it was spewing Fusion warhead missiles.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - scout v 7 CR & colony - hide in asteroids
Laertes - scout v 6 CR & colony -
Kreelar - fleet v lone Zuul tanker - auto win

Turn 113

Colonise Kreelar.

We will have to see how the attack on Winath goes - the Zuul have managed to amass plenty of ships there. Prepare for the incoming yellow bore fleet to Chanorr.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - scout v 8 CR & colony - hide in asteroids
Orcus - scout v mature colony (4 missiles) - loss
Star Haven - scout v colony & rip bore - cease combat
Laertes - scout v 6 CR & colony - hide in asteroids

Winath - 53 DE v 55 DE, 7 CR & colony - 28 DEs lost, and 11 DEs and 1 CR (CnC) destroyed. I manage to feint left with the starting group, but the shuttle group is forced to launch a little too close to the Zuul cruisers, so the shuttles are all destroyed by missiles.

Turn 114

Order the ships at Winath to retreat, and I start to build up new ships, armed with APMDs, at several worlds. We finish Living steel, and I pick up Polysilicate armour.

End turn

Kanjar Ro - hide in asteroids
Furud - scout v 1 DE 2 CR - loss
Laertes - hide in asteroids

Turn 115

Sorry about the premature attack on Winath, and we have some ships that will arrive on the planet over the coming turn. It might be possible to save them by doing the assault shuttle trick: move away from the planet at once and launch the assault shuttles when the enemy ships start coming into sensor range. It might distract the Zuul CRs enough that our ships can escape into hyper.

I've ordered B01 Mogo Squadron to Mogo to clear out the swarm there and colonise the planet. The ships have plenty of PD so should be able to handle a colony trap easily.

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:45 am

Looks good. Anyone else wants to give it a try?
I can play 10 turns tomorrow if nobody has picked it up before then.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Well I just played before kjn so probably not me just yet. I may be able to get a turnset in on the weekend though.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:33 am

Ok, I have grabbed the game and will post again when I have done 10 turns.

ivra

Post by ivra » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 am

Turn 115
Nothing Special

Battles
Kanjar Ro (red Zuul colony): Scout is trying to hide in the asteroid field. Success.
Laertes (red Zuul colony): Scout is trying to hide in the asteroid field. Success.
Winath (yellow Zuul colony): 10 colonizers + tankers were wiped out by a lot of Zuul ships (68 DEs + 6 CRs). I selected AR.
Defending Chanorr from 8 yellow Zuul DEs. Hiver arrived with 11 DEs + 23 CRs! AR again. Success, no losses.
VN at Griffin (our colony defended by 2 armors): I will try to run this time. Success.
VN at Shoni (a rock). We have a scout and Hiver has a gate. I think there is no way to save the gate, so I just selected AR. Failure, both ships were destroyed.

Turn 116
Polysilicate done, starting Orbital Foundries. I added polysilicate armor to the CnC, Shuttle, and War ship. I also deleted a lot of old designs. I am going to be relatively quiet until we get cruisers, CR CnC, and repair ships.

Battles
Kanjar Ro (red Zuul colony): Scout hid in the asteroid field.
Laertes (red Zuul colony): Scout hid in the asteroid field.
Deep Space: Red Zuul sent a CR to destroy one of our scouts.

Turn 117
3 red Zuul ships is coming to our colony at Galifrey next turn. I found out that yellow Zuul has only 2 ships at Octans, so I am sending A01 North Fleet to attack it (eta 3 turns).

Battles
Scouted Naltor (13 DEs + 38 CRs)
Defending Galifrey from 3 red Zuul CRs. Victory, no losses. The 3 CRs were 2 CnCs + a Refinery.
Trying to take out a rip bore at Manticore (a rock). Need at least one more turn.
Attacking Swarm at Mogo. The fleet seems to have a lot of PD so I am going to play it manually. It worked, no losses, but I lost an engine.
The rest of the colonization fleet arrived at Winath where yellow Zuul waited with 73 DEs + 6 CRs.
Scouted the HW of the yellow Zuul. 13 DEs + 1 CR
Deep Space: Red Zuul sent a CR to destroy one of our scouts.

Turn 118
Orbital Foundries went overbudget. Colonizing Mogo.

Battles
Scouted Hyrakius (red Zuul HW).
Trying to take out a rip bore at Manticore (a rock). Victory.
Scouted Lagash (red Zuul colony). It was fully developed, but had no ships.
Colony Trap at Mogo. Victory, but lost one ship to friendly fire.

Turn 119
Orbital Foundries done, starting Cruisers. A huge red Zuul fleet (25 ships, probably CRs) will arrive at Cuthbert in 5 turns. I am gathering all fleets in the area to meet them. I also designed a LD and built 10 of them at Cutbert.

Battles
Attacking Octans: I have only 22 ships in this battle. I gambled since there seemed to be few ships there. Now there are 2 DEs + 3 CRs, not particularly many, but there are 7 more coming next turn. It was a disaster since I lost the entire fleet. Managed to take out 3 CRs + 2 MDs + 3 LDs, though.

Turn 120
Mogo colonized. I am going to try to attack Dosadi (red Zuul colony with only 2 ships) in 3 turns. This time I am gathering a much bigger fleet than those that attacked Octans. Yellow Zuul is going to attack Zozoris (Hiver colony) in 5 turns with 26 ships. I am going to let Hiver handle that on their own. They have cruisers after all.

Battles
Octans: The colony fleet arrived (in case I won) and were destroyed.

Turn 121
Nothing special.

Battles

Turn 122
Cruiser went overbudget.

Battles
Attacking Dosadi: We got caught: red Zuul have 16 CRs + 2 DEs + 10 LDs + 3 MDs. Managed to take out 11 CRs and lost 32 DEs. Retreating...
Giedi Prime (red Zuul colony): Scout hid in the asteroid field.
Scouting Dosadi.

Turn 123
Cruisers done, starting CR CnC.

Battles
Dosadi: The ship without an engine had to remain while the rest of the fleet retreated.
Scouting Mintarr (red Zuul colony).
Scouting Metaluna.
Ymar (red Zuul colony): Scout hid in the asteroid field.

Turn 124
Nothing special

Battles
Scouting Garnet (red Zuul colony).
Scouting Maltus (red Zuul colony).
Scouting Thundara (rock).
Ymar (red Zuul colony): Scout hid in the asteroid field.

Turn 125
Data Synergy at 64%.

Notes
I have marked on the map the strength I encountered when I scouted different Zuul colonies.
The scout heading to Sera (a rock) will arrive the same turn as a red rip bore. I saw it launch last turn.
I think I have done what I could to prepare us for the big battle at Cuthbert. There are 25 red Zuul CRs (I will be surprised if they are not CRs) arriving next turn. The colony will have 10 LDs + 10 MDs by then and 111 DEs.
Oh, and prepare to fight 4 hide-in-the-asteroid-field-battles every turn. It's a bit of a pain...
Finally, I might have named our new design wrongly. I called them s03 at the end to specify that they are of a newer design then our s02 version. But then I remembered that many of you add the speed to the design name. Maybe s02 is the speed of the ships. In that case feel free to redo the designs.

SotS1-SG16 T125.sav

Return to “T.A.R.”