TAR: Dakka Attack Tarka (Parts 1-2)

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: TAR: Dakka Attack Tarka (Parts 1-2)

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:05 am

Warcat wrote:Nice readings ZedF (as usual :) )
I guess how you'll manage the Locust threat with in-game restrictions. As I remember, Locusts are pretty nimble and deflector shields should fall pretty quick as soon as Locusts outflank your ships.

The disruptor shields were pretty effective, since the locusts expend most of their firepower on approach and then their beams have to recharge, giving my PD ships a window to swat them. I'd say they absorbed at least 2/3 of the locust damage my ships would have otherwise taken.

Will you try (if the battle hasn't happened yet) the Refinery bomb tactic to blow up as many drones as possible?

I actually used only one refinery bomb this time; the rest of my anti-drone ships were Disruptor/PD ships.

Another concern regards the time needed to blow up the carrier: I fear that your arsenal is a bit too light (AFAIK AP rounds, photon torps, disruptors, snipers, HC plasma, AM warhead), except for AM rockets, provided they will not bounce against carrier's heavy armour too often to secure enough punishment before time goes up.

I did have some concerns regarding this as well. I relied almost entirely on the AM rockets to take out the Locust and did see quite a few deflections. However, I made sure to retreat several of my PD ships relatively early, which let me get started on the AM rocket bombardment ASAP, and this proved to be both necessary and sufficient.

In case of losing worlds due to Locusts attacks, will this event satisfy one of your new variant rules (the first I guess), letting you to start researching Fusion power, for instance?

I don't think I would have considered it to count; the Locusts aren't really a Fusion powered fleet in the usual sense. I might have done so if I felt the game was going less well and I would need the ability to research Fusion shortly, but I'm not feeling enough pressure from the AI to justify hand-waving the rules like that.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:39 pm

T200

Domestic Report:
Just three new planets have been colonized since the last report. Two of these, Zoon and Xhakilda, are in former Cecrops territory, as our fleets in that cluster are finally getting reconstituted with additional locally-built ships and on the move once again. We'll soon have four cruiser-based attack strikeforces as well as a pair of mainly destroyer-centric defensive strikeforces to protect our fledgling colonies. While we have started to detect Hiver fleets enroute to some of my new colonies, at this point we've taken control of roughly half the cluster and expect to be able to complete my conquest of it before any Hiver gate fleets arrive in the area. We should be able to keep the cluster insect-free without too much difficulty.

The other colony we founded was at Beezaro. This was the only positive result out of a three-pronged attack we launched at the three Hiver-held worlds in the central cluster; we were able to take the most isolated world with relative ease, but the two more dangerously placed worlds from a potential farcaster perspective were too well-protected to consider assaulting by the time my fleets were able to cross the gap between stars, and they were forced to withdraw without firing a shot. We've continued to build up in the interim, and should be in position to make another attempt at these two Hiver worlds in the near future.

Map

Foreign report:
As we continue to make good progress conquering the remains of Cecrops's territory, we've sent scout fleets out to stealthily survey the remaining enemy clusters, hoping to gain more intelligence on how our rivals fare relative to one another and where there might be a weak point we can strike for further gains. There are lots of interesting signs to be read in the stars, some worrisome and some hopeful. The yellow and white Hivers have each made inroads into two other clusters, but are not friendly toward one another, so some kind of confrontation between these two relatively powerful empires might eventually be in the offing. The yellow Hivers in particular have made enemies of every other faction, though oddly enough our relations with them remain very good despite over a hundred turns of cold war. On the other hand, they have recently acquired dreadnought technology to go along with their antimatter power, so they are certainly a force to be reckoned with.

This hasn't prevented us from trying to claim another world in their cluster at Xhokotis. The yellow Hivers used to have a colony there, but it has since vanished under mysterious circumstances; perhaps it suffered a similar fate to our own colony at Prism, and fell to a VN Berserker? Regardless, the world is now ripe for the taking, so we will make an attempt at it, hopefully under the cover of jammer stealth to give the world a chance to grow under the Hivers' noses.

Tech report:
The acquisition of AI technology and its full integration into every aspect of our society has greatly increased our ability to pursue further research programs. The dividends include Holographic Tactics for improved fleet command, as well as Neutronium Rounds to give our destroyer defense fleets considerably more punch.

But after two hundred turns of relying exclusively on rapid-fire automatic weapons, my Tarka have developed and are in the process of fielding their first cluster munition, and one that I rarely get a chance to try out in most of my games: Nanite missiles. When they detonate, these spew out a cloud of nanobot submunitions, which have the potential to do a considerable amount of damage over time if an enemy gets caught in the cloud for any substantial amount of time. From a raw damage point of view, it seems unlikely they will out-perform antimatter rockets guided by AI Fire Control, but they do have one potentially crucial advantage: the nanobots can't be deflected by heavy enemy armour. Unfortunately they are currently rather indiscriminate in what they consume, but our scientists and their AI partners are busily researching more heretofore theoretical technologies to see if this can be remedied.

Dakka report:
Apart from conquering the afore-mentioned new colonies, Very few large battles occurred since the last report; we had to abort two of the largest attacks on account of our fleets being clearly outclassed, and even for those battles we did fight, most were against relatively small enemy forces for the most part. We did fight one battle against a yellow Hiver gate fleet attempting to intrude upon our space near Mamoru. Thanks to our new Neutronium hypervelocity assault rifle ammo, we were able to drive these interlopers off, but it did cost us several defense cruisers to do so. We anticipate more larger battles in the near future though, especially for the first time including sizeable quantities of AI-equipped warships. Hopefully these will be sufficient to break through the expected heavily reinforced garrisons at Grayson and Koozebane.
Last edited by ZedF on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:01 pm

Heavy clouds approaching...
I wonder how you'll manage the very first heavy Hiver DN assault against your first lines.
Even if you should have one of the strongest (if not the strongest) economy, your navy shouldn't be a match in a prolonged war of attrition against DN fleets. You may exploit the advantage of deep space interception to weaken Hiver invasions (Nanite should do wonders here), until, as you stated, they'll develop Farcasters. Then you'll have trouble mainly in the central and in the yellow Hiver clusters.
There may be a chance Hiver will not send heavy forces to a jammed colony (I can't remember how AI works in this case).

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Warcat wrote:Heavy clouds approaching...
I wonder how you'll manage the very first heavy Hiver DN assault against your first lines.

Stay tuned and you'll find out. :)

Even if you should have one of the strongest (if not the strongest) economy, your navy shouldn't be a match in a prolonged war of attrition against DN fleets. You may exploit the advantage of deep space interception to weaken Hiver invasions (Nanite should do wonders here), until, as you stated, they'll develop Farcasters. Then you'll have trouble mainly in the central and in the yellow Hiver clusters.

I tend to disagree, so long as I can maintain a sizable outnumbering bonus, I can largely neutralize the AI's command DN advantage. At that point it will come down to who has more fleet depth and who can take out enemy CnCs fastest. The latter factors tend to be in my favour, but it does mean I need to know where to concentrate my forces. Hence my efforts to get rid of those two hiver gates in the center cluster before Farcasters become a factor.

There may be a chance Hiver will not send heavy forces to a jammed colony (I can't remember how AI works in this case).

They won't send heavy attacks at a world that doesn't appear to be an enemy colony. They could send a small gate fleet there and thus discover that such a colony exists, though.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Tanolias

Post by Tanolias » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Nice TAR Zed :D . i have read some of your'e other TAR's and they really helped me understand some of the more complex game mechanics and such. So thanks for all the TAR's and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Tanolias

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:56 am

ZedF wrote:
Warcat wrote:Even if you should have one of the strongest (if not the strongest) economy, your navy shouldn't be a match in a prolonged war of attrition against DN fleets. You may exploit the advantage of deep space interception to weaken Hiver invasions (Nanite should do wonders here), until, as you stated, they'll develop Farcasters. Then you'll have trouble mainly in the central and in the yellow Hiver clusters.

I tend to disagree, so long as I can maintain a sizable outnumbering bonus, I can largely neutralize the AI's command DN advantage. At that point it will come down to who has more fleet depth and who can take out enemy CnCs fastest. The latter factors tend to be in my favour, but it does mean I need to know where to concentrate my forces. Hence my efforts to get rid of those two hiver gates in the center cluster before Farcasters become a factor.

As you said, your key advantage is to keep a large outnumbering bonus to keep your command points as close as possible to (or maybe more than) enemy attacking forces. This could be achieved limiting your losses during battles and hoping to face no more than one major Hiver assault in the same theatre every couple of turns. The main concern is when Hivers wake up and begin sending more and more fleets (as they usually do in a full scale war) against you: you have a limited mobility and may not be able to concentrate enough ships in time to gain the outnumbering bonus on every front, unless you maintain a monstre number of ships, thus crippling your empire budget. A little boon is that you have reached a mature technology and there won't be major breakthru to force you to rebuilt your navy, until you'll start researching Fusion.

Now an analisys based on what you showed on your TARs.
Your front lines seems to be these ones: the Yellow Hiver theater, the Central cluster theatre and the Eastern front. The latter is the less concerning, because Morrigi shouldn't offer no more than minor annoyances. In the Central cluster, your front line colonies (those ones Hiver could reach in less than ten turns without farcasting) are at least 8 (I guess all colonies closer than the distance from Grayson to Slyggia). Guessing that Hivers can launch three fleets every two turns from their bases in Koozebane and Grayson, you should face an Hiver incursion every turn or so against your colonies. I can't remember your fleet disposition, but I guess you should concentrate in this theatre at least three main forces, spread along your colonies to hope to reach every colony in time. But the worst thatre I guess is the Yellow Hiver one, because your colonies are too wide spread into the core of the Hiver zone. Here you should maintain a strong fleet on every colony except for Mamoru. So at least six CR fleets strong enough for outnumbering bonus plus pickets on every colony just to keep an eye against sneaky attacks. This means a great economic effort, even if you should be able to afford, even due to your recent discoveries on AI techs.

Hiver's speed is now the 50% of Tarka Fission one, so you have no more than half the time Hivers need to reach one of your threaten colony with defending fleets. This applies even to your reinforcements, and this could cripple your strategy on the Yellow theatre.

It's a very though situation, indeed...
ZedF wrote:Stay tuned and you'll find out. :)

I'll do that :)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:57 pm

T212

Domestic Report:
Cecrops the Terrible is nearly finished; since the last report we have taken and colonized nearly all his territory, including Gudea, Xhunhau, Kuikuilcos, Adena, Atalanti, Nibiru, and Teoxhacos. Only his homeworld, plus any colonies he might yet retain in Yaziid's sphere of influence (at least one, possibly more) are all that are left to him. It's hoped that he might surrender in the near future; if he does this could possibly afford us a base of operations in the latter cluster.

Additionally, we are in the process of claiming the last two worlds in the central cluster, Grayson and Koozebane, so soon we will have four of eight clusters in this galaxy to ourselves. This seems likely to enable us to keep our dominant economy safe from Hiver influence for the foreseeable future, despite their advanced technology. After all, with at least 15 turns of warning before any incursion fleet arrives in our territory, even with our slow engines we can afford to maintain or new-build whatever fleets are necessary to intercept any incoming threat in plenty of time.

Foreign report:
The most interesting news is largely occurring in clusters other than the ones we have already pacified. Of particular note is that Yaziid the Wicked, having first been NAP-stabbed by the yellow Hivers, was subsequently NAP-stabbed by the white Hivers. He's now down to about half his starting cluster, and has only one colony left in neighboring ones to bolster that number. As such, he doesn't seem likely to be a major player for much longer, and the yellow and white hivers are likely to war over who gets to loot the remains of Yaziid's empire. Our fleets are not currently in a position to make a bid for a share of the spoils, but there remains the possibility that this could change in the not-too-distant future, as we wrap up our conquest of Cecrops and begin to reposition our fleets for new duties.

Tech report:
Unfortunately, apart from our success at acquiring Smart Nanites tech, there's very little technology news that's of much interest, and it seems there's unlikely to be any better news in that regard in the near future. We've now finished researching everything that seems useful to research, absent Fusion tech; mostly what's left in our tree is weapons we can't use or have no need for at the present time. I might have liked to try AI Fire Control in combination with Bursters again, but given the amount of armour the Hivers are packing, it seems rather pointless to try. So, now we are pretty much just waiting to see if we ever get the opportunity to research Fusion, in order to unlock whatever useful techs with that pre-requisite we happen to have access to.

Dakka report:
While the most interesting news is happening in Yaziid's cluster at the moment, that doesn't mean we haven't had some interesting battles of our own. Our most recent operation to clear the orange and white Hivers out of the central cluster was, necessarily, a massive affair, given Hiver defensive proclivities. Between them, the orange and white hivers had a total of over 100 destroyers and a like amount of cruisers spread between Koozebane and Grayson by the time our fleets were ready to begin the assault on the pair of worlds, so we had had to build our own fleets to similar levels (albeit with fewer destroyers) in order to avoid being heavily outnumbered, as we were in the previous attempt. Moreover, in general we were only able to destroy one gate per turn, which gave the Hivers more opportunities to gate in reinforcements. Nevertheless, we had more command ships than the Hivers, and better ability to prioritize enemy command ships than they did, and this proved sufficient in the end to assure victory... though the mop-up phase at Koozebane has been lengthy indeed.

We've also had to beef up our defenses in the yellow hiver cluster in order to deal with another attempted incursion at Mamoru, this time with a quartet of dreadnoughts including Armada CnC. These behemoths were certainly able to dish out a significant amount of punishment, though the yellow Hiver weaponry and armour technologies aren't quite as advanced as those of the white Hiver, and though we outnumbered the Hivers badly in this battle, it did cost us a few cruisers to defeat them.

Nevertheless, the real star of this last battle was our new nanite missiles, which inflicted a disproportionate amount of damage to the lumbering enemy dreadnoughts. They proved far more effective in this fight than they have previously in cruiser-cruiser battles, where AI fire control antimatter rockets normally have the edge. I suspect this is because, on a command point for command point basis, it's easier to get one enemy dreadnought stuck in a cloud and keep it there than it is to do the same thing to three enemy cruisers at once. Nanite missiles did prove powerful against enemy destroyer waves, on the other hand; it only takes a couple seconds in a cloud to be pretty crippling to most destroyers, so it's not too hard to badly damage several at once, or in sequence as they charge in.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:11 pm

T225

Not much has changed since the last report, other than my Tarka have completed their conquest of Cecrops's home cluster, leaving him with only a colony or two in Yaziid's territory. Our forces are repositioning for the next big attacks into two more clusters, but I'm not sure how far I want to go forward with it.

Map

It's been clear for quite a while now that I won't lose this game. Being able to slash and burn my way to owning multiple clusters, while the other factions have at most just a single cluster plus change, was probably enough by itself; completing AI research just sealed the deal. I'm making more money than I can reasonably spend, given I can't build dreadnoughts, and I'm at the point where turning off the research spigot for even more cash really wouldn't make a significant difference to my capabilities. I could certainly build more fleets, but I already have over a dozen cruiser-based attack strikeforces (typically numbering 15-20 cruisers apiece, plus destroyer support) and another dozen or so destroyer-based defensive strikeforces. Of course all those fleets were built for good reasons -- I do have slow fleets and wide fronts with four other clusters after all -- but there is a limit to how many parallel operations I want to conduct at once! Between those fleets and all the sensor platforms I'm scattering about the map to keep tabs on things, I've pretty much hit it, so building yet more fleets won't be a high priority unless I can acquire Fusion.

Speaking of the latter, this might be possible, but it remains unclear when it might happen. The best chance of this happening in the short term would be if the yellow Hivers were to farcast a largish fleet and make a play for my newest colony in their territory at Xhokotis, which is now mature but is resource-poor and can't build emergency defenders quickly. It is guarded by one of my usual destroyer strikeforces and has a full ring of medium sats; this is a reasonable defense force but potentially not an unbeatable one. Losing Xhokotis would demonstrate that our fleets are too slow to react in any case where the best defense isn't just having a strong offense, thus encouraging Fusion research. In that event, something might come out of the Fusion goody-box (apart from a 75% increase in speed to 3.5 LY/turn and a chance to rebuild my fleets) which could make it possible to finish the mop-up phase against the other AI empires more quickly.

Other chances to acquire Fusion are now only going to arise only well into the future, as my consolidation of control in four clusters and extensive scout network make it very difficult for the other races to effectively attack without my being able to intercept their forces or otherwise present a strong defense. Even considering farcasters, I only have a couple worlds able to be attacked this way presently, and apart from Xhokotis, they are all well-defended. For example, Mamoru is a high production world and well able to build up as big a fleet as is needed to secure a large outnumbering bonus against farcasted Hiver dreadnought fleets, which tend not to be very numerous. And, of course, I have plenty of economy with which to protect my valuable beachhead forge worlds. This particular situation is very reminiscent of the latter part of my Tarka Ascendant TAR, so I feel fairly confident of being able to predict how it is likely to turn out.

Elsewhere, this game looks likely to devolve into a huge slog through the territory of Hiver empires with highly advanced fleets. The Hivers might have the defensive advantage of their gate networks and farcasters, but my fleets are too numerous to be easily batted aside and instead must be engaged in battles of attrition. I think between neutronium snipers, antimatter rockets and nanite missiles, plus deflector and disruptor shields, I have the tools I need to win such battles; even if the Hivers research additional advanced weapons of their own, this will just affect how costly such an attrition war eventually becomes. But I can afford attrition tactics a lot more easily than the other empires can.

I don't think I can lose under those circumstances, but without any diplomatic solutions on the table according to my variant rules, it could certainly take forever to win! Given that I have plans for other projects to undertake in the coming weeks and months, there are definite limits to how much time I am willing to spend on this game. There are just a couple more questions where I'd like to satisfy myself concerning the answers...
Last edited by ZedF on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Warcat wrote:Guessing that Hivers can launch three fleets every two turns from their bases in Koozebane and Grayson, you should face an Hiver incursion every turn or so against your colonies. I can't remember your fleet disposition, but I guess you should concentrate in this theatre at least three main forces, spread along your colonies to hope to reach every colony in time. But the worst thatre I guess is the Yellow Hiver one, because your colonies are too wide spread into the core of the Hiver zone. Here you should maintain a strong fleet on every colony except for Mamoru.

This is largely moot now that I've taken the two planets in question, but the Hivers won't be nearly so proactive as to launch large numbers of sizeable attack fleets at once in order to overwhelm my defenses. Even if they still had Koozebane and Grayson they wouldn't do that. Sure, they will send out a lot of small gate fleets on simultaneous missions while exploring, but when attacking the AI is a lot more deliberate than that, and takes time to amass whatever attacks it's planning to make.

As far as defenses against yellow -- Mon El is the colony that's still hidden from their prying antennae; they know about Mamoru, and hence the defenses there are substantial.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:42 pm

Nice to see someone still active on these specific boards :).

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:58 am

Tanolias wrote:Nice TAR Zed :D . i have read some of your'e other TAR's and they really helped me understand some of the more complex game mechanics and such. So thanks for all the TAR's and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Tanolias

Abyss wrote:Nice to see someone still active on these specific boards :).

Glad to hear from both of you and that you are enjoying the reporting! :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:19 am

ZedF wrote:I don't think I can lose under those circumstances, but without any diplomatic solutions on the table according to my variant rules, it could certainly take forever to win! Given that I have plans for other projects to undertake in the coming weeks and months, there are definite limits to how much time I am willing to spend on this game. There are just a couple more questions where I'd like to satisfy myself concerning the answers...

And we'll wait for any new reading like the good ones you shared so far :)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:43 am

T129-T132: Oto'chis

I wanted to see how well our fleets would do on an initial assault against a Hiver world where the defender had (a) Antimatter/DN era fleets, and (b) an active gate and so could gate in as many defenders as possible, given the amount of advance warning even my jammed fleets give due to their slow strategic movement rate. The white Hivers were happy to oblige; between the time our forces kicked them out of the central cluster and the time my forces could pursue to set up an assault on Oto'chis, they had evidently developed the necessary technology for Armada-CnC led fleets and had built up at least the start of a DN-era force. Their ships were pretty beefy, equipped with Lancers and Adamantite armour, as well as Heavy Drivers.

Battle 1

The latter was significant; it meant my Disruptor-shielded LRock cruisers on point could reliably absorb an initial volley of heavy beam and torpedo fire, but couldn't stay the course indefinitely as they'd get knocked out of position, shield destroyed or facing the wrong way, and have to make an attempt to retreat and be replaced with another ship. I also had a few DRock cruisers equipped with Deflector shields, which would of course help contain the heavy driver punishment but would inevitably die to Lancers as soon as they came off recharge if the ship got targeted. Still, the DRock ships proved to be about as effective as LRocks at soaking up enemy fire; Hivers DNs have a lot of heavy turrets!

Since these fleets were largely the same as those which had kicked the Hivers out of the central core, except for the addition of Nanite cruisers they were more set up for killing enemy cruisers than dreadnoughts as far as fleet mix went. That meant a lot of AI command sections and not so many shielded cruisers, so I had to be relatively careful not to risk too many of the latter. As a result I wound up losing quite a few general combat AIRock cruisers and PDRock destroyers.

Battle 2

Nevertheless, the Nanites did their work while the rest of my fleet was basically there to occupy the Hiver guns. I had one of my Nanite cruisers do an end run around the main combat; it only took one volley of nanite missiles and the DD-era gate was toast. The rest of the nanite ships stayed at the back, firing long-range weapons and generally punishing the Hiver DNs as much as possible. In terms of raw material lost, the Hivers could have been said to have gotten the better of the first round of combat, but could only be considered a pyrrhic victory at best, as in terms of critical ships (CnCs and gates) they fared far worse than our forces did.

Battle 3

Battle 4

The victory at Oto'chis is, I think, sufficient evidence that overall victory against a technologically superior Hiver enemy is still possible even under these variant rules. You just need a LOT of ships so as to keep up the outnumbering bonus and keep your beachheads safe from counter-attack. But my economy by this point is pretty huge; building massive quantities of ships is not really a problem, it's only getting them where they need to be that's at issue.
Last edited by ZedF on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:48 am

T131-T133: Xhokotis

On T131, the yellow Hivers sent a Farcasted "sneak" attack at Xhokotis. It consisted of 4 dreadnoughts (including 2 Armada CnC) and a pair of support cruisers (Repair and Gate.)

I had tuned my defenses at Xhokotis fairly carefully to what I thought my Tarka would have considered an appropriate level. Xhokotis was a fully mature size 4 world in the middle of the yellow Hiver cluster, so clearly it could not be left under-defended. On the other hand, I didn't want to defend it to the hilt either. The planet was not really in any way important to the Tarka empire; it was low on resources so couldn't be a forge world, and it certainly couldn't participate in trade while nestled amongst a whole bunch of enemy planets. Putting a big fleet there would be nothing more than a drain, from an economic point of view. And, of course, from a meta point of view, the only real reason the planet was colonized in the first place was to see if the yellow Hivers would attack it and wipe it out, thereby enabling Fusion research under my variant rules.

So, my compromise was to keep a standard destroyer strike force stationed there permanently, along with full satellite defenses (including nanite missiles in the medium sats) and of course antimatter heavy planet missiles. These would not cost so much in maintenance over the long term as to fully negate the planet's basic income, and the upfront cost could be justified from a point of view of due diligence for keeping the planet relatively safe in hostile territory.

Battle 1

The initial Hiver fleet consisted of 3 dreadnoughts and the gate ship, the latter of which immediately turned tail and ran for it. As it turned out, a lot of my planet missiles wound up chasing it down and taking it out; I never saw hide nor hair of the thing. I saw plenty of the dreadnoughts, though. Apart from the Armada CnCs, the other two DNs were Assault/Blazer and Assault/Armour; none of these ships were as well-armed as the white Hiver DNs but they were still plenty tough. They were mostly using ballistics, but had enough energy weapons between them to make life painful for my Deflector cruisers. I lost all six of my point combat cruisers in the first round of combat, as well as a handful of destroyers, and the Hivers were able to inflict a substantial amount of bombardment damage on the planet despite my sats' nanite missiles.

Battle 2

That left me with just refineries and sniper destroyers for the second round, but the Hiver DNs were heavily damaged (apart from their spare CnC) and their repair cruiser had lost its mission section to planet missiles when it spawned after the gateship died. The only option was to use the refineries as bait, to keep them from charging into the destroyer formation. Naturally this was a bit hard on the refineries, but they were sufficient to the purpose.

Battle 3

First the two damaged DNs were taken out -- the old Armada CnC from last turn's battle was nearly dead already -- then the sniper strikeforce could concentrate on the last CnC. Between all those snipers they had enough knockback to prevent the slowly-accelerating Hiver CnC DN from closing the distance, and soon enough it was destroyed as well. I think they actually pushed it close enough to the gravity well that it collided with the planet.

Battle 4

So, at the end of the second turn, Xhokotis remained in our control. The Hivers had failed to break our defense, and the defenses would be rebuilt before they would muster another attack here. Thus it seemed as though the Hivers would be unable to successfully counter-attack, and Fusion would be a long time coming, if it was in the cards at all... it could easily be argued that a barely successful defense like this ought to convince the empire to better protect worlds like Xhokotis.

Battle 5
Last edited by ZedF on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:50 am

I think that's pretty much it for this particular game of SotS. Yes, I could try to keep pushing into Hiver territory, and yes it would keep getting more costly to do so as time goes on, but I don't think it would ever become impossible as long as nanite missiles keep working, and I don't think anything would prevent them from doing so unless the Hivers were to somehow get ahold of phaser PD, which seems unlikely.

Warcat wrote:And we'll wait for any new reading like the good ones you shared so far :)

Glad to hear it. :)
Hopefully KAGG will provide some good story fodder. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “T.A.R.”