Getting a new one torn...

Tactics and Action Reports.
DervMan

Getting a new one torn...

Post by DervMan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:19 pm

A couple of days ago, I set up a Tarka (me) versus the Hiver (the bad guys). 47 system, rift galaxy; a perfect grudge match. I set the economy and research efficiency to be 150% in the hope that by the time I was picking up Hivers on sensors, they were in the Dreadnought era. Oh and I wanted to play this game out with no Commercial Trading, because it's a licence to print money and makes things a bit easy. ;)

tf;dr

This game still keeps me enthralled after years of playing it!

Wall of Text

And they were, only... my technology tree is kinda nerfed. I've been unlucky in that I'm typically mid-range in most of the weapon trees. For example, I have MagnoCeramic Alloys, Lancers in my heavy beam mounts, Positron Beams, Phasers but no Pulse Phasers, the Chakkar but not the Chakram, Fusion Missile Warheads but no Antimatter Warheads. I did roll Armour Piercing Rounds and the Fusion Cannon but no Antimatter Cannon. I didn't roll X-Ray Lasers either. :bigmouth: !lmao

Luckily, the AI hasn't picked the same route as me to get to the high end technologies. I stole a technological march by picking up Rail Guns and so far the enemy hasn't copied this yet, instead they're fielding more and more Deflectors. Claw to claw I'm able to score victories through weight of numbers but my economy isn't as strong and this is a war of attrition I'm probably going to lose. But the Hivers appear to have the edge in technology across the field. They laugh at my missiles and have a loose point defence grid.

I've tried the following:

* Rail Guns: counted by Deflectors. Kinda saw that coming but took heavy fleet losses. Pleased I ran a deep space interception with this.

* Switching out my Armour Piercing stuff for Polarized Plasmatics and Chakkar, started using turreted beam weapons. Love the sound, less happy with the accuracy though. Nicely effective against the tank-like Hiver warships.

* Hunkered up with Boarding Pods. Lost many Tarka Marines thanks to the enemy's Interceptor Missiles. As a compromise, tried loading up with Missiles and punished the Hivers from a distance, which was fun but their return volleys were just as painful for me and every turn they're getting closer to my colonies. I'm still doing this from time to time to steal technologies.

* Switched to a Destroyer / Dreadnought combination that saw Pursuit specification warships armed with War Quoits and Missile Launchers to take the initial shock of three Hiver Dreadnoughts and then annoy the enemy whilst I lined up my Dreadnoughts to tackle the onslaught. This has worked reasonably well, but those Hiver warships are fast. Still, it's fun seeing a dozen Tarka Destroyers tie up one or their Dreadnoughts. But I've lost many brave crews.

* I've just researched Pulsar Torpedoes and as my best Torpedo weapon, I'm going to try a form of electric weaponry! Perhaps combined with Boarding Pods.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Getting a new one torn...

Post by ZedF » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:12 pm

Interesting report. Are you looking for suggestions?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:53 am

Sure. I'm not looking to win quickly, I'm enjoying the challenge... But let's learn something too! ;)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:27 am

I do like Chakkars in this situation, as you noted. Missing Chakram is not that big a deal since at close range, where you want to be for best damage and accuracy, Chakkars outperform Chakram for ship-ship combat anyway (though Chakram is far better for planetary bombardment.) The polarized plasmatic small mount weapons are pretty weak, though, and I'd generally prefer a defensive weapon in that slot unless you really have no need for point defense. The latter implies not attacking enemy worlds at all, though, which would seem like a losing strategy to me.

Tarkasian boarding marines are great against Hivers, but if you want to get the boarders to their targets you need to protect them from interceptors, as you noted. Wild weasels will work against interceptor missiles and can help, but another technique is to put a shield section on your boarding ships. This can stop interceptors in their tracks as long as the shield is up -- and it just needs to stay up long enough for your ships to get nice and close. This worked for me in Tarka Ascendant until the enemy got PD phasers.

I personally would opt for shield in favour over assault nose with EMP-type weapons for boarding ships, because the EMP effect lasts only a short time against enemy dreadnoughts and the point defense weapons recharge very quickly. The EMP weapons might be more useful when paired with Chakkar war cruisers to cut down on incoming enemy heavy turret damage while you slice and dice your way through their hulls, since anti-shipping weapons take longer to recharge than point defense weapons do. Remember that EMP effects don't work against fixed weapons like heavy beams and torpedoes, though.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi Derv, would you like to take my two cents?

EMP weapon can do wonder in taking down Deflectors.
You may try to exploit the EMP torpedo - Rail gun combo: just send a fast (and expendable) squadron armed with EMP torpedo to take down DN deflectors while your rail guns at stand off range rain fire on bugs.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:30 pm

I would, but I replied earlier. I'm sure of it. Eh...

Okay so in no particular order... my Shields technology stops at Shields V1 lol. I've been playing with Electromagnetic Pulsars and these help, as the enemy are using their own Railguns back.

I'm gaining the upper hand through evil plotting rather than sheer weight of numbers... I've killed 200 enemy Dreadnoughts so far. And I've lost 23.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:47 am

If Hiver do manage to get to your planets, remember that AI can not play good against mines.

... my technology tree is kinda nerfed

This happen often with my late-game Tarka. They get very little top-tech-tree things. So Tarka must win in Fusion era. A small problem in your game set-up. ;)

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:06 am

It's one of those oddities; usually, I'd maybe see one high end technology available but here the Hivers had more shiny stuff than I did.

Things came to a conclusion last night... They developed Farcaster technology. We'd been playing the game of cat and mouse, typically with Rail Guns, Deflectors, Pulsars and gin*. I researched Heavy Fusion Cannons, which gave me a link to Heavy Antimatter Cannons, but their Nanite Corrosive weapons were munching my warships something terrible. I tried Pursuit Destroyers armed with as much Point Defence as I could and this helped a little, but required lots of micro management.

However, a lucky break saw them Farcast out from their homeworld to one of my systems. I sold them a dummy, jumped in and bashed merrily away at their home world, causing plenty of damage. Gotta love good old fashioned Assault Shuttles, right? I left their Gateship alone and they rushed back to defend their home world and I co-ordinated three strikes across their Empire. I'm pretty sure that this disrupted their Commercial Trading and then their economy collapsed.

I forced their surrender a few turns after that. It was weird when their warship count started dropping and then I realised, well somebody has to pay for the 120 Dreadnoughts on their books, right? ;)

*note that the gin was imported from SolForce.

kjn

Post by kjn » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Yeah, the way to win at SotS is almost always at the operational level: focus on delaying the enemy offensive fleets, while making sure your offensive fleets can crush lightly defended worlds. The AI simply has no way to counter a good operational play.

Return to “T.A.R.”