Zuul - A Study in Overharvesting Methods

Tactics and Action Reports.
Abyss

Zuul - A Study in Overharvesting Methods

Post by Abyss » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:44 pm

This T.A.R. will focus on four games I'll be playing to add some anecdata into the question of "As Zuul, how much should I overharvest?" I've played many games where I've done all, some, and no overharvest, depending on the circumstances, setup, races I was paired with/against, and technologies the Sadorandomizer gave me. These first four games will be played as a 1v1 style against a Morrigi opponent. I anticipate most games to be over by turn 120, or at least into the wrap up phase. Any longer and the Zuul lose the advantage of money quite quickly due to trade and fusion techs being levied against them. Onto the setups:

Map: Disk, 42 stars, size and resources maxed out, 0% random encounter chance (don't look at me like that, maybe I'll do one game with randoms), Normal AI, default values on everything else. Each game will be made separately to ensure maximum tech tree randomness.

Overharvest conditions: Game 1: Overharvest fully on, all the time; Game 2: Overharvest halfway on, all the time; Game 3: Overharvest on only for terraform/building infrastructure for planets; Game 4: Overharvest never on (my most dreaded game I'll play).

I'll write up a T.A.R. like any other, and try to draw some conclusions at the end of the fourth game. I may continue the testing with teams/more players to determine how much overharvesting is really an integral part of the Zuul win rate.

That's it for now, post any suggestions you have and I'll consider them for testing.

BlueTemplar

Re: Zuul - A Study in Overharvesting Methods

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:40 am

You won't try the "overharvesting when terraforming/infrastructure AND shipbuilding" strategy?
(That's how I tend to play Zuul)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55412

P.S.: If you play with +20% resources, this will likely have an effect on the effectiveness of this strategy (for better or for worse?). I do that in the linked game, but mostly because bSotS has greatly increased ship building costs.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:50 pm

I guess I can always use the shipbuilding for a fifth test. Yea, the increased resources will skew the results a bit, but I think the effectiveness will still be shown.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:40 pm

A precision : this way to play Zuul could better be named as "Overharvesting for everything but money" :
I tend to micromanage the Overharvesting rate so as to not to waste it :
if to build, say X ships you need 73% (of available) overharvesting
(and X+1 ships would require more than 100%, say, 134%),
I would set the overharvest slider on 73%
(or rather on something around 75%, as you cannot be very precise).

Abyss

Post by Abyss » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:32 am

Finished up the Overharvest all the time game in 95 turns, I'll write something up soon.

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Sun May 01, 2016 5:40 pm

very interesting, please keep it up :)
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

Return to “T.A.R.”