SotS SG18

Tactics and Action Reports.
ivra

SotS SG18

Post by ivra » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:02 am

Players: Starknight, Abyss, Zed , Ivra

The setup is as follows:
  • 198 stars Pyramid Clusters (self made map) with default start parameters, except:
  • All slots are at $1'000'000, 1 colony, and 15 techs
  • normal AI
  • 8 players, no teams. The AIs are one of each race (except humans - since I have not bothered creating node lines in this map) and 2 random races (which turned out to be 1 Tarka and 1 Morrigi)

Variant restrictions:
  • A planet is considered owned by us if it is our Home World or if we have arrived there at some point with a discovery fleet. The only way to lose ownership of a planet is to lose a battle to an enemy AI that wipes out everything we had at that planet.
  • A discovery fleet is a fleet that is heading towards an undiscovered planet.
  • At any time in the game where every habitable planet we own is colonized, we can send out as many discovery fleets as we like to discover new planets. As long as new planets are not discovered we can keep sending out discovery fleets.
  • Once a new planet is discovered we cannot send out new discovery fleets until all discovery fleets arrive and the necessary actions are done.
  • When a discovered fleet arrives at a new planet this planet is now considered discovered and owned by us.
  • We need to colonize all our habitable planets before we are allowed to send out more discovery fleets.
  • Note that if we take control of an asteroid monitor by researching it the planet becomes ours and we must colonize it if possible before sending out new discovery fleets.
  • Also note that terraforming techs that make us able to live on a wider range of planets can be researched any time, but once they are in, all new habitable planets must be colonized before new discovery fleets can be sent out.
  • Just a clarification: We do not need to colonize everything we can right away. We can wait as long as we like. It only affects our ability to send out new discovery fleets.
  • If a fleet runs into an enemy planet and dies, or dies of another reason, that planet is considered discovered but not owned by us. We do not need to capture a colony from one of our enemies before sending out new discovery fleets even if we can create a colony on that planet. On the other hand since the planet is discovered we are free to send any attack fleets to such a planet at any time. If we win the battle the planet becomes ours and we must colonize it if possible.
  • If we lose a planet to an AI player, that planet is still considered discovered but is no longer one of our own planets. Thus it will not prevent us from sending out new discovery fleets.

I have put Starknight and Abyss in the first two positions since I think one of you should start the game. ZedF started the previous one, and I would like someone else to start this game since it is based on my idea. Let me know which one of you would like to start and then I can change the player order list if necessary.

Also note that this game is saved on turn 1, so feel free to comment on it. If you think it is important to chance something to make the game more fun, now is the time to discuss it. I can then create a new modified game that we play instead.

The save game is attached below. I deleted all the default ship designs just to prevent us from using them since they were not using the best engine, and since we probably want to name our ships differently anyway.

SG 18-001.sav
Last edited by ivra on Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ivra

Re: SotS SG18

Post by ivra » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:54 am

Updated the rules in the first post so this post is not needed any more.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:17 pm

I have the save, will take a look and start this ASAP.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Turn 1:
Looking at the map, this is a cluster-style map with regular pyramids of stars. Each cluster appears to have 11 stars, with 18 clusters total. I plan to dispatch gate-fleets to each star in our cluster and the closest neighbor, working from the farthest stars to the nearest. In accordance with this plan, I design ships and queue up gate/tanker pairs to begin the work. I also scrap the existing pre-built gates; the speed increase from using PF will be worth the loss of free ships.

Current ship designs and naming schema:
GLasDD .6r01 Gate-warden - grasslights in all slots, for garrisons and relic-stripping.
MassDD .6r01 Soldier - standard-purpose Armor design w/Mass Drivers, backbone of our fleets.
CnCDD .6r01 Princeling - first-generation command vessel.
GateDD .6r01 The Path - grasslight armed gate-ship.
ShuttleDD .6r01 Invader - assault-shuttle carrier.
TankerDD .6r01 Campfire - to feed our ships.
PTorpDD .6r01 Sun-shot - Photon Torpedo destroyer for long-range firepower.
ColDD .5r01 Hive-maker - colony ship. No need for pulsed fission with the gate network.

I set our research goal for Orbital Foundries, but turn off research until all of the gate-fleets are built and dispatched.

Turns 2-6:
Gate-fleets are dispatched. New ones are ordered.

Turn 7:
The last gate-fleet is dispatched, with Gate-21 being held in reserve or to be used as the basis for an attack fleet. Research is turned on.

Turns 8-10:
Coasting on research; Orbital Foundries comes in early on turn 10. I select Suspended Animation in anticipation of getting a habitable world. Our first gate-fleet arrives on turn 16, with 6 more arriving in the two turns following.

Turns 11-13:
Suspended Animation goes overbudget on 12, comes in on 13. I select Point Defense Tracking as our next research; I anticipate having to deal with Swarm.

Turns 14-16:
Researching while awaiting arrivals; Gate-22 arrives at Tototchic. It is currently a rock (CH764) with an asteroid belt but will eventually be colonizable if we get GravAdaptation. Gate deployed.

Turn 17:
Gate-15 arrives at Atarask. At CH523, it's not ideal but not absolutely horrible. It can wait until the economy improves. Gate-16, on the other hand, arrives at Nekek'tet, a size-4 gem at CH1.71. Colonizers and garrison ships are ordered, gates are deployed. As of right now, gate-fleets are being left in situ, since we can't push on. They'll probably be rebuilt before being redispatched anyway.

Research turned back since we've hit 50% and we're building ships. Hopefully we'll get another breakthrough.

IT:
Taza'chak - our gate-fleet encounters the Swarm. Well, I called it. They are unable to flee. The world appears to be a rock.

Turn 18:
Pyzak'tot (CH445), Ozoris (CH461, asteroids), and Ne'xhex (CH997) are explored by gate-fleets. Gates are deployed. The priests shed a tear for the valiant pioneers of Gate-20, destroyed by the bio-mechanical menace of the Swarm.

Turn 19:
PD Tracking comes in early. I design the PtDfDD .6r01 Swarm-shield and lay down hulls for an expedition fleet. I select Advanced Robotics as the next research, so we can build ships faster, but again turn off research spending in favor of building our bankroll. The fleet (3xCNC, 5xPD, 6xMassDD, 6xGLasDD) should finish building turn 21. It will have enough fuel to reach Taza'chak without tankers, and Gate-21 can follow it a turn or two out to provide a way home.

Turn 20:
Realizing I forgot to do it earlier, I redesign the ColDD to include SA (ColDD .5r02 Hive-maker). I also name the building fleet A01 Swarm-killers, save the game, and post. Abyss, you're up; it's not going to be exciting, but we have a decent start. There should be a few gate-fleets arriving in the next turnset.

We might want to colonize Pyzak'tot next, or we could wait to see what the next few worlds bring us. I wouldn't go for Ozoris or Atarask just yet - Ozoris because of the Swarm threat, Atarask due to CH. And going for bio-techs is probably going to be high on our priority list.

EDIT: Just went back and took another look. Ozoris is probably okay to colonize soonish; it's 13 turns from the only current known Swarm spot, with sensor coverage from the homeworld most of the way. That's plenty of warning. Also checked on arrival times; everything should be discovered by the end of the first round of turns. Probably not everything will be colonized by then, though. :)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:28 am

<3
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:09 am

Erinys wrote:<3

Yeah, after 10 years I am still enjoying this game a lot. So thank you again for making it :)

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Abyss, are your ready to take your turns soon?

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:07 am

hm, no answer. What about you ZedF, are you around? Maybe you and Abyss can skip in order to advance this game?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Ok, I will take a look in the next couple days.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 am

Not really a lot to report other than we found 3 nice worlds and settled two of them. The third is guarded by an AM we need to hack first; the gate fleet backed off into deep space and will wait for this to be done. Cruiser Construction completed and working on Biological Transfer since our exploration rate is gated by our ability to colonize new worlds, and Biomes will be the most help getting nasty worlds under control.

We could probably use some better garrisons as I expect we will have more trouble with randoms than we would in a normal game. I am thinking maybe a 10 DD squadron per colony, tops, though. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg on defense here.

That said, this map is large enough that we probably won't have too much trouble once we meet up with other empires. We should be able to claim a decent amount of space if we are diligent about colonizing everything as soon as we can afford to and pushing exploration & expansion.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:36 am

Zed, I notice you didn't go after the swarm-occupied world of Taza'chak... planning on farming Queens for a cash boost?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:16 am

We lost all ships that tried to discover that world and no longer have a presence there. Seems to me it's illegal by our variant rules to send another fleet there until we've colonized everything in our first exploration wave, so we have no choice but to farm queens. Fortunately you said the world is a rock (I assume you mean uncolonizable) so no loss.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:55 am

It is hard to write rules that are clear :)
This rule should cover the situation:
If a fleet runs into an enemy planet and dies, or dies of another reason, that planet is considered discovered but not owned by us. We do not need to capture a colony from one of our enemies before sending out new discovery fleets even if we can create a colony on that planet. On the other hand since the planet is discovered we are free to send any attack fleets to such a planet at any time. If we win the battle the planet becomes ours and we must colonize it if possible.

Basically we are not allowed to go to any star that glows (undiscovered - we have never visited it), but are free to go to black stars (tried to discover it but lost the battle).

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 am

Ah, okay. I can understand how you could make that assumption.

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:55 am

I am going to skip you, Abyss, as well if I don't hear from you within 24 hours. You do not need to do them within 24 hours, just letting us know that you are going to do them is enough. If I do not hear anything I will take my turns tomorrow.

Return to “T.A.R.”