SotS SG18

Tactics and Action Reports.
ivra

Re: SotS SG18

Post by ivra » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:27 pm

I took it for granted that we will not continue SG18 so continued playing it alone. I am at turn 140 now. Most of our discovery fleets never made it. They were either killed in deep space or when they arrived. I have only been able to get a foothold in three pyramids. But I have managed to research Fusion and decent weapons so I expect to be able to be on the offensive from now on. I still think it is fun, and will continue it until it is finished. You are right that there is no chance of us losing this game.

I guess I am a bit too afraid of creating a game that is too challenging. Maybe it is better if you create one since I have tried and failed twice?
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:07 pm

Sure, I can take care of that. I would feel better if we could be confident of having a fourth though. I will probably make it in a new thread to see if that encourages anyone else to drop by.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Sounds good. Thanks!
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 pm

I popped in. A suggestion for limitations on colonization might be to only be able to have Imperial population developing on, say, 3 planets at a time (just to throw a number out there). Once that's maxed, more can be colonized.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:38 am

Here is what I am thinking of using for rules & setup:

SG 18a

Players: Zed , Ivra, Starknight, Torezu, (Abyss?)

The setup is as follows:
  • 90 stars Sphere with default start parameters, except:
  • Player is Hiver with $1'000'000, 3 colonies, and 15 techs
  • All AI slots are normal AI at $1'000'000, 6 colonies, and 15 techs
  • 6 players, no teams. The AIs are one of each race (except Hiver)
  • Randoms and economy/research settings are normal at 100%
Variant restrictions:
  • We may not build tankers or refineries, except that we may build refineries solely to travel through the gate network and refine fuel at iceballs we cannot colonize. Refineries may not travel through deep space.
  • A discovery fleet is a fleet (including a gate) that is heading towards an undiscovered planet (bright colored star). A wave of discovery fleets consists of exactly as many discovery fleets as there are undiscovered planets in range of a gate ship at the time the fleets are sent. These must be all sent out during a single turn. So if there are 10 undiscovered planets in range on turn 1, then the wave must be exactly 10 fleets, one to each undiscovered star.
  • After that we have to wait until these discovery fleets arrive, explore all planets it is possible to explore (i.e. uncover planet details) and colonize everything we can live on before sending out a new wave of discovery fleets. We can always send additional fleets to any planet we have previously discovered and/or explored, e.g. if a gate is lost in combat. Note that all explored unoccupied habitable planets must be colonized before we can send out a new wave of discovery fleets, even if we lost control of a world due to a random event or enemy activity.
  • Note that we do not have to colonize black stars (discovered but unexplored worlds, e.g. where we lost a battle with a discovery fleet) or enemy colonies before we send out a new discovery wave. However, we are free to send out any fleet to such a black star or enemy colony at any time.

Does this sound reasonable to folks?
Zed's TARs (sample):

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:06 am

Looks good to me, Zed... the 'no in-flight refueling' rule may take a bit of getting used to, but I'll go for it. Want me to take the lead again? One thing I can do reliably is start up a Hiver empire. :lol:
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 am

I like it too.

I predict it can be hard later on in the game to discover every undiscovered planet we can travel to and suggest we add the infamous rule A2 from the Advanced Squad Leader game. It says something like: If a rule was forgotten and something was done wrong according to the rules it should not be corrected later. In this case meaning if we overlooked a planet we should have sent a discovery fleet to we are not allowed to correct it once it is discovered.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Few questions for clarity:
1) Are discovery fleets allowed to include more than one gate for the benefit of survivability?
2) Are ramscoops or LRF allowed, if tankers/refineries are not?
3) For ivra's comment on overlooked planets, would it make sense to just include them in the next discovery wave?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:57 pm

1) yes
2) sure why not
3) yes. We are going to get some discovery ships intercepted short of target anyway so this will soon become standard operating procedure.

Note we don't have to always send out discovery waves at the earliest opportunity if, for instance, we think anything we send out will just get intercepted and we'd prefer to make direct attacks on located enemy colonies instead. The discovery waves are mostly meant to constrain exploration & development in the early game and may become less relevant as the game progresses.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “T.A.R.”