SotS SG18a

Tactics and Action Reports.
Torezu

Re: SotS SG18a

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:11 pm

That's okay; I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get to all of this tonight. My best time is the weekend, and the last 3 turn sets went very quickly. I'll try to do a few turns tonight and hope to get the rest tomorrow. It'll be Thursday at the latest, I believe.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Ok, Torezu, will watch out for it.

Starknight, good job under trying circumstances! It sounds like we have been spending our attention on tech with which to improve our military but not enough on actually building improved military, aka 'just one more tech' syndrome. Partly a function of our limited fleet sizes due to gate capacity and due to focusing on economy with much of our ship construction for the last while too, most likely. Certainly I didn't build a lot of defenses in my turns apart from new CnCs. We'll definitely need to start a major fleet modernization program during Torezu's turns.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:11 pm

ZedF wrote:Ok, Torezu, will watch out for it.

Starknight, good job under trying circumstances! It sounds like we have been spending our attention on tech with which to improve our military but not enough on actually building improved military, aka 'just one more tech' syndrome. Partly a function of our limited fleet sizes due to gate capacity and due to focusing on economy with much of our ship construction for the last while too, most likely. Certainly I didn't build a lot of defenses in my turns apart from new CnCs. We'll definitely need to start a major fleet modernization program during Torezu's turns.

We had a decent number of ships. I probably over-committed on the defense of Beta Aquilae, but 23 CRs was not a force I wanted to face with DE fleets without deep reserves. Hindsight is 20/20, as always, though. Getting nearly one-turned by the Morrigi wasn't pleasant. Still, we weathered the storm, and new ships are in the pipeline - plus we have one more trick up our sleeves, as nothing built so far has XRay Lasers.

Apparently I did manage to take out the mission section of the last CNC at Chiskatet on turn 76, so I was only facing a couple of damaged CRs and some DEs each turn. That made it possible for 3 Magno armored DEs to be so effective against damaged ships, and keep the gate up on turn 79.

Shame we didn't get the next level of armor tech, but I guess we'll just have to do the best we can. I definitely agree that modernizing our fleets is a good idea.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 pm

It would have been a while before we could have researched QR anyway, and Magno's pretty nice with natural Hiver toughness. We'll make do.

Tiamat's going to be interesting to defend against 90 ships, though if we can get a decent CRCnC combat fleet there, hopefully with lots of PD, I don't foresee too many problems - blowing up massive hordes of Zuul is one of my favorite pastimes. The potential problem is the close-range starting point. I think I am going to replace the gate that's likely to die with a CA, as armored as I can make it, though. If the going gets too rough, I'll abandon it, but I don't have to like it - we need all the gate capacity we can get. Much depends on their tech level - any report on that front, besides CA and CACnC, if they're bringing that many cruisers?

Seems like the Tarka are having tech problems if they're still running Fission. The Humans, with their fusion cannons, APMD, and good-sized CR fleets, could be the most potentially dangerous, followed by the Morrigi for tech and Zuul for numbers that could weigh down our development. The Liir seem to be struggling more than they usually do with tech.

I think we might want to consider stationing a permanent, larger guard at places like Beta Aquilae and Tiamat, at least until we are able to backtrack some of the Human and Zuul node lines.

What are people thinking for tech path? I was considering mega-freighters, since we have decent combat techs, but phasers, HCLs, heavy drivers, and some of the quicker info techs are calling. I know we can record Human and Zuul node paths with notes, but the pathing techs and things like Data Correlation are nice to have for strategic planning. Otherwise, there are always warhead upgrades for planet defense (though that might take more time than it's worth) and tactical drive techs.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:12 am

Torezu wrote:Tiamat's going to be interesting to defend against 90 ships, though if we can get a decent CRCnC combat fleet there, hopefully with lots of PD, I don't foresee too many problems - blowing up massive hordes of Zuul is one of my favorite pastimes. The potential problem is the close-range starting point. I think I am going to replace the gate that's likely to die with a CA, as armored as I can make it, though. If the going gets too rough, I'll abandon it, but I don't have to like it - we need all the gate capacity we can get. Much depends on their tech level - any report on that front, besides CA and CACnC, if they're bringing that many cruisers?
Let's look through the history for battles with Zuul... At XhiIstik'che I see missiles, plasma cannon, lasers, and disruptor torps, but those were just small DD formations. The last battle at Tiamat shows similar weapons, with more DDs but still no CAs involved. Looking still further back to when all the gate fleets from the last discovery wave were visiting Zuul planets during my turns, I also see particle beams and mass drivers. If I had to guess I would expect to mostly see missiles and lasers, some plasma and particle beams and disruptor torps, and perhaps HCL if the Zuul have researched it.

Seems like the Tarka are having tech problems if they're still running Fission. The Humans, with their fusion cannons, APMD, and good-sized CR fleets, could be the most potentially dangerous, followed by the Morrigi for tech and Zuul for numbers that could weigh down our development. The Liir seem to be struggling more than they usually do with tech.

Race summary screen says the Tarka have got Fusion power but only Gamma warheads. I agree that Humans seem dangerous but they are also far away from our core worlds -- we had to colonize former Morrigi space in order to get a border with them anywhere other than at Beta Aquilae. Liir may be getting beaten up on and having morale problems because I see two indy Liir our gates are heading toward near their territory.

I think we might want to consider stationing a permanent, larger guard at places like Beta Aquilae and Tiamat, at least until we are able to backtrack some of the Human and Zuul node lines.

Sounds plausible. Places where we've gotten attacked repeatedly like Beta Aquilae should get sats at the very least.

What are people thinking for tech path? I was considering mega-freighters, since we have decent combat techs, but phasers, HCLs, heavy drivers, and some of the quicker info techs are calling. I know we can record Human and Zuul node paths with notes, but the pathing techs and things like Data Correlation are nice to have for strategic planning. Otherwise, there are always warhead upgrades for planet defense (though that might take more time than it's worth) and tactical drive techs.

I think we can hold off on Megafreighters for a turnset since we want to be modernizing our military this turnset and might not have production/cash left over for megafreighters. We do have almost $6M in the bank but I don't think we want to spend that on megafreighters until we are confident our defenses are strong. I would also skip phasers for now since we aren't much fighting the dodgy Liir and can rely on APMD instead.

Cheaper techs like HCL, Data Correlation, Fusion Warhead, and Heavy Planet Missiles I can certainly get behind; none of those will take more than a turn or two even if we are putting a lot of funds into ship construction. If we are ready to start building CA fleets either for nodal defense at hotspots or, better yet, to actually go on the offensive, then Heavy Drivers is definitely a possibility, especially as it will likely unlock Neutronium rounds.

As far as bigger ticket items go... economy-wise we might consider Environmental Tailoring to see about Arcology Construction and/or Grav Adaptation. But once we have HCL and perhaps Heavy Drivers, I'm thinking going straight to Antimatter and Farcasters is probably a reasonable play in the not too distant future.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:30 am

Pre-play: Notice that we are 1st, with 3 races tied for 4th and the other 2 tied for 6th. So we're doing well.

T80: Mining ships relocated to Zhistik'che. Everything else was basically done for me, except starting a couple freighters to finish filling out the last line. Decided on Heavy Planet Missiles, set it to 1-turn.

IT: HPMs completes. Auto on a Liir scout at Castor. Chiskatet concluded with no losses.

T81: Other incoming Zuul fleet only has 6 CRs, so it shouldn't be too bad. Tech set to Fusion Warheads and bumped to ~95% for a 1-turn finish again. Funds aren't too much of an issue, and our planets need to be able to defend themselves a little better, or at least help the fleets with it. Continued ship construction at the HW and started more at a couple non-trade worlds. Will consider all-CR fleets in the near future, since our gate cap is now 186, and 10-12 CR fleets make pretty good defenses. For now, though, it's CR command with large DE wings.

IT: Fusion Warheads completes. Auto on a Liir scout at Akrop'tet. Run a deep space intercept on one of our gate fleets, our 2 armors, gate, and DS vs. 6 Liir armors. We won, but one of the armors was lost and the rest were heavily damaged. Unfortunately, the gate lost its engine. Scrapped it, leaving the fleet as a picket.
- Tiamat battle report (our 2 newest defense fleets, total of 8 CRs and 48 DEs, vs. Zuul with 22 CRs and 68 DEs): Lost the (DE) gate, 1 CRCnC, and 11 DEs, to kill 12 of their 22 CRs and 38 DEs. They also took damage to a number of ships I couldn't outright kill, including losing one of the remaining CnCs. I was right about the positioning, but set up the fleet a bit off to handle the beginning of the battle, so they got more of a jump on me than I would have liked. Adjusting for next run.

T82: Continue ship production to compensate for losses. Set tech to HCLs and 2 turn finish (~65% research). Repair the fleet at Tiamat and deploy one of the CR gates. Will save the other for after the battle if this one gets blown up. Send the newly assembled defense fleet at the HW, and from a few other places, to defend Chytopris against the incoming 4 CR, 4 DE fleet I just noticed.

IT: HCLs at 92% after 1 turn. Dial research down for some more money. All remaining enemies at Tiamat and everything at Chytopris destroyed with minimal casualties (i.e. we lost one armor at Tiamat).

T83: Realize, to my chagrin, that I have been building DEs with UV lasers. Redesign all of those and resume the defensive fleets. The biggest dangers so far have been from emitters, which I hope not to have to get close to, and the Zuul's particle beams, which hurt, but not as much as we hurt them. Also, stop overharvesting at Chiskatet, finally. Notice that all of the other races are beating up on each other, as far as I can tell: Tarka on Morrigi, Liir on Zuul. Humans don't seem to be moving much, but it's not apparent whether they're dying or just building up. Hop one of our defense fleets over to Beta Aquilae just in case. Also notice Tarka are still running Fission or PF on at least some of their ships, though their scouts have Fusion. Small Zuul fleet will hit Arokor in 5 turns, but it's large and we shouldn't have a problem getting to it for defense.

IT: Auto 1 Tarka DE scout at Razhakin, defend another gate fleet against 2 Morrigi CRs. That doesn't go so well. They're armors, with particle beams and emitters.

T84: HCLs came in, so start on Heavy Drivers at ~50% for 3-turn completion. We have access to Lancers. Assemble fleets and watch the outgoing gates.

IT: Auto raiders at Razhakin. Surprisingly, they lost everything, and we lost nothing. Excellent.

T85: Incoming 54-ship Morrigi fleet on Beta Aquilae, 4 turns out. Considering options, and decide on full CR defense fleet. Those Morrigi CRs just do too much damage to our DEs to try to fight them that way. Design a new armor CR and start production. Also design an MD, as it looks like Beta Aquilae can finish a full double sat ring by the time they arrive.

IT: Nothing.

T86: 70-DE Liir fleet incoming on Uul, 2 turns out. I think they want it back or something. Another Zuul fleet on Tiamat, also 2 turns out, 17 DEs and 13 CRs this time. The T77-78 IT is going to be interesting. Move ships around to compensate, including several newly built CRs for Beta Aquilae. Gate network stretched, but holding.

IT: (2) 12-DE gate fleets arrive, at Chi Draconis and Buunen. Those have a Tarka colony with 1 CR and 1 DE, and 1 DE with no sensor data, respectively. All of those prove to be refueling ships, so they're take down with no casualties (but some damage from the refinery explosion).

T87: Deploy both new gates. Send the miners back out to Xhistik'che. Chi Draconis turned out to be a very young Tarka colony that is habitable, but only barely. Buunen is not. Start biomes for CD. Move a bunch more ships around in preparation for this IT (maxing out the gate network on the nose, though we'll have 12 more points next turn assuming no gate losses), which will be long, but hopefully not too painful. 10 more Zuul ships 5t out from Chytopris, and a single Morrigi scout headed for the HW, but otherwise no long-range activity. Heavy Drivers completed, also, opening up access to Shield Breakers, Neutronium Rounds, and Spinal Mounts. Set tech to Advanced Robotics and 1t completion, just to make all the ships we're building cheaper. Redesign all 2 CR designs that have large mounts to use the Heavy Drivers.

IT: This went quite a bit better than I expected. Magno definitely helped. We took the most casualties (4) at Arokor, but that was one of the older Mass Driver fleets, and a refinery got too close. At Tiamat (our standard defense fleet of 4 CRs and 24 Des), we only lost 2 DEs for a kill count of 12 each of their 13 CRs and 17 DEs, so they're all but done there. At Uul, we had no losses except a pair of easily repaired mission sections, in exchange for 26 of their 70 DEs. The Zuul have plasma cannons now, but they don't use them very effectively. I didn't let the Liir get close enough to use their emitters; hence the low casualty count.

T88: Adv. Robotics done, starting on Data Correlation for a cheap-ish 1-turn tech. The Tarka are sending fleets to the newly gates Chi Draconis (17, 3t out) and Castor (26, 4t out), so the next player will get to have fun with those. 31 CRs are set up at Beta Aquilae, along with a standard defense fleet for outnumbering and because it was already sitting there. Gate capacity is at 198.

IT: Gate fleet arrives at Uaxhaktos, uncontested. Uul: Using the same tactic as the previous battle, kill 27 more DEs with no losses. Of note: a lot of the DEs exploding at the end were green gas clouds, so the Liir brought bio-weapons. They also had X-Ray lasers, fusion cannons, and disruptor torps – just not enough of them. Tiamat: The remaining Zuul (1 CR, 5 DEs) retreated. Beta Aquilae: We didn't need to worry so much about the Morrigi. They did bring HCL CRs and command, but they're not particularly tough, and too many of their ships were DEs, I guess. No losses, 39 ships killed, including 7 of their 9 CRs. So we have a lot of CRs for the next person to play with.

T89: Apparently I failed to set Data Correlation correctly, so it goes overbudget. Set it very low to finish next turn. Repair damaged ships. 25 Zuul ships incoming on Ke'Groko, which is a future mining site. Move the inspection ship to Buunen to check for mining safety.

IT: Markab gate fleet arrives. The lone Liir scout left there didn't stand a chance. Uul: The remainder of the Liir fleet was destroyed, but not before they popped off a couple bio-missiles anyway. They didn't get anywhere near the planet, though. Beta Aquilae: Those last 2 CRs were both refineries, so they didn't even have command – it was a short battle.

(T90) End of Turn Set report: The fleets may need some organization, but our DEs can beat almost anything out there, weight for weight, and even take on small CR fleets with good success, given our CR CnC. Data Correlation finished this turn, so next turn selection is up to the next player, I believe ZedF. I started the Buunen mine safety check, repaired the little bit of damage done to our ships this turn, deployed the available gate at Markab, and sent the couple of gate fleets back to the HW. The Liir just lost a visible colony (Lomomi) to independence, so their morale is indeed suffering. The 90-91 IT will see the arrival of the 17-ship fleet at Chi Draconis, and they're all CRs, so the standard defense fleet already stationed there might need some backup. There's an old defense fleet at Chytopris already to prepare for the 91-92 IT landing of a 10-ship Zuul fleet, but there's nothing at Castor yet for the 26 Tarka ships coming in. Fortunately, our gate capacity is up to 204, so we shouldn't have trouble moving things around (not including that somewhat ridiculous CR fleet I put together at Beta Aquilae – that might be hard). In my mind, the game is all but won, though it might take up to my next turn set to finish it just because Hivers are slow.

Anyway, save attached, and sorry for the delay. Enjoy!

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:42 am

Nice work! Sounds like you had about as much action to deal with as I did.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:13 am

Starknight wrote:Nice work! Sounds like you had about as much action to deal with as I did.

Yeah, I was very worried about the 70 Liir ships until they got a little closer, and the Morrigi probably scared me more than they should have. It's been quite a while since I played, and I'm also not used to fielding such large DE fleets - usually I would have started with (smaller) CR fleets well before now.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:27 pm

I have the save but am expecting to be out for most of today so may not be able to look at it until tomorrow.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:43 am

Am halfway through my turns, hopefully the rest can come tomorrow.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:32 am

Inherited turn 90: Break the massive CA group at Beta Aquilae into smaller, more flexible portions, with the aim to convert one fleet into three, which requires some new construction. Buff trade networks where appropriate. Shuffle ships around to meet various threats. Redesign cruisers that don't have BB nose; we have no reason not to use these at this point as they are a substantial durability and firepower improvement over HH nose and we have plenty of cash. Design new PD DD for cruiser escort into hostile territory, but I don't plan to send out any assault fleets to target enemy colonies just yet. Research is set to AM -> Farcasters -> Combat Algorithms -> Neutronium at 100%.

IT: Use a CA fleet to defend Chi Draconis with no losses. Gate fleet discovers Ko'Kotan is a baby Morrigi colony, it is destroyed but our gate and ER are forced to retreat. Canary finds and dies in an unsafe asteroid mine at Buunen, a new Canary is ordered.

T091: Colonize Uaxhaktos. Shuffle fleets to defend Castor and prepare for colonization of Chi Draconis.

IT: Defend Castor with CA fleet, losing a DD gate but killing 14 of 26 enemy cruisers. Defend Chytopris from 9 Zuul CAs, using an old MassDD fleet. Destroy all Zuul cruisers, losing 7 MassDD destroyers and a DD gate.

T092: Colonize Chi Draconis with first wave. Move fleets to defend Tiamat and Ke'Groko.

IT: Defend Castor. Tarka have several deflector shielded ships, but HCLs and lasers are sufficient; lose no ships and kill them all. Need more BB noses in future fleets for this eventuality, though. Clear Kao'Tuno of a damaged human refinery and find it's suitable for colonization. Part of a discovery fleet arrives at Uwiiri but its gate has been destroyed, so unless we research Incorporate Liir or send a new gate, we can't do much about it. Finish Nine Tail Incentive, it is indeed Reflective Coating. Get a new project, The Breath Of Huracan, and start it because we can.

T093: Battle at Tiamat, use CA fleet to wipe the 19 Zuul CAs + 8 DDs with no losses. Build Biomes for Kao'Tuno while gate deploys. Gate fleet arrives at another Liir indy, Ushoba.

T094: Build biomes for Ushoba while date deploys. No combat this turn except for peace with indys. Launch another 3 gates at Uwiiri, which has been explored so this is ok by our rules. Hope one gets through.

T095: Almost out of buffer funds burning for 50% on Antimatter but we are almost there. Send CA fleet to attack Ushoba via gate.

IT: Attack on Ushoba kills all Liir with no losses. Defend Ke'Groko from 25 Zuul DDs with a DD defense fleet, no losses. Gain special project Intibah's Bane.

T096: Turn down research on Antimatter. Canary moves to check out Nekek'tet. Very quiet turn continuing to build freighters.

IT: Peace at Uwiiri. Looks like the humans have an attack fleet headed there.

T097: Same as before, waiting for AM and building freighters.

T098: Still just waiting for AM, building freighters and saving cash.

T099: AM completes, start Farcasters at 100%. Redesign ships; I include a few new designs that might be useful for attacking enemy worlds in our upcoming assaults once Farcasters complete. Since there is only 1 turn left in my set I don't build fleets this turn but will leave that for the next player to plan out. Continue building a few more freighters instead. I mark the top half-dozen planets for warship production for easier tracking on the map (not counting the homeworld.) I also clear all the mining safety marks and reverse it so only iceballs which have not yet been checked are marked; right now that's just Lolyash.

T100: Build a few last freighters and leave the rest up to the next player. Our scopes are mostly clear of threats for the moment. Looks like I have managed a 50% improvement in trade income during my turns, with more to come as routes stabilize, which will hopefully help us build a lot of attack fleets in the future.

Next steps tech-wise after Farcasters are Combat Algorithms so we can include a couple PD DDs in all our CA-based attack fleets, and probably Neutronium after that. We could build a new set of discovery fleets to be farcasted all over the place, hopefully getting us more gate capacity and/or open up new trade sectors where we just need to explore a world to have a majority share in that sector (e.g. sectors 7 & 10). Or we could build a bunch of assault fleets and have at it. Or option 1 followed by option 2. Whatever, just have fun crushing our enemies beneath our heels. :)

A look at the map

And the save file.
Last edited by ZedF on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:12 pm

ZedF wrote:Break the massive CA group at Beta Aquilae into smaller, more flexible portions, with the aim to convert one fleet into three, which requires some new construction.

I figured you'd do that. :lol:

ZedF wrote:Redesign cruisers that don't have BB nose; we have no reason not to use these at this point as they are a substantial durability and firepower improvement over HH nose and we have plenty of cash.

That's a very good point. HH noses are faster and more maneuverable tactically, but we don't really need tactical speed, and we're not facing tons of DEs to need all the variable-target firepower of more APMDs.

ZedF wrote:Continue building a few more freighters...

Can I assume we're building DE freighters because we can kind of use the extra cash, but not bothering with Mega-Freighters because we don't need the extra cash that much, and the few turns needing to be invested for the tech are too valuable at the moment?

ZedF wrote:Next steps tech-wise after Farcasters are Combat Algorithms so we can include a couple PD DDs in all our CA-based attack fleets, and probably Neutronium after that.

After those are done, we might also consider Lancers for the firepower upgrade on our BB command sections. Since AM is done, the Phasers -> PD Phasers branch is also a possibility. Oh, and we could 1-turn Reflective Coating just to have that for a little more survivability against the Liir especially - not that we need that much.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Torezu wrote:and we're not facing tons of DEs to need all the variable-target firepower of more APMDs.

BBs have more APMDs than HH anyway. ;)

Torezu wrote:Can I assume we're building DE freighters because we can kind of use the extra cash, but not bothering with Mega-Freighters because we don't need the extra cash that much, and the few turns needing to be invested for the tech are too valuable at the moment?

More or less. Mega-Freighters have a much higher I/O cost and significantly longer payoff horizon than DD freighters, especially if they are replacing DD freighters on a route. The game should be close to over by the time they pay for themselves, even more so if counting the time and money spent on research against them. With the DD freighters, the upfront and opportunity cost is much lower, and I didn't want to build a lot of expensive war fleets with AM redesign on the horizon, so it seemed like a good place to sink some money in the short term.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:56 pm

ZedF wrote:BBs have more APMDs than HH anyway. ;)

That's what I get for worrying about money. So, HH for speed, maneuverability, and cost, but BB for survivability and focused firepower. And if you want to keep your CnC near the fleet anyway, HH's speed boost doesn't help.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Hey, if you're worrying about money that's usually more a good thing than a bad thing, especially if you are behind and trying to catch up. It is good to be aware of what things are worth splurging for and what things aren't, though. In our situation I would say BBs and Lancers are worth the cost; phasers or reflective coat or PD phasers, not so much at this time based on current enemy techs and load-outs.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “T.A.R.”