SotS SG18a

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: SotS SG18a

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:15 pm

In a succession game? Don't think so. I personally have done a number of games against massed Zuul, using a variety of races; indeed my first Tarka TAR on these forums was all about that. Relatively recently we did a Tarka succession game against a number of Zuul which tried to mass, but we were able to pre-empt them.

Are folks interested in a Hiver game against massed Zuul next or are we done with Hivers for the moment?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Hiver, no; Liir, yes. SG 3a (which didn't turn out so well) and SG 4b (grudge match).

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:52 pm

More recently: SG 16 is the Tarka game I mentioned.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:42 am

Well, we are up to 56 colonies now, with a couple more to be founded on T130, so I guess that's an improvement. :)
We are currently working on Lancers but the game will be over before we can use them for anything much.

I just built a 7th AM fleet but it hasn't yet seen action. Not sure it ever will due to gate capacity constraints, though our capacity has of course been going up as we grab more worlds. There are a bunch of undiscovered worlds around but I have been ignoring them; I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to get a discovery wave going if we care to. At least we shouldn't have too many worries about our fleets being intercepted since nobody has much with which to oppose us anymore. Funnily enough the Zuul may just last longest due to having a lot of small undesirable worlds spread out over the place. We should be in a position to be able to launch an attack fleet at the Tarka HW next turn, which is the last outstanding capital to capture.

Link to the save file.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:08 am

I have just started my turns. I am aiming to finish the game during my 10 turns.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:17 am

Turn 130
Nothing special

Battles
Continuing the attack on Kuo'Dai, a Tarka colony defended by 14 CRs, 2 DEs and 12 sats: Took out 12 CRs and 4 sats with no losses, but did not managed to take out the colony.

Turn 131
Queen Talleah has been eliminated. Lancers done, starting Reflecting Coating.

Battles
Attacking Algol, a Liir colony defended by 3 CRs, 5 DEs and 15 sats: Lost 1 ship to take out all ships and the colony. What! This fleet has no gate ships! Who creates a hiver fleet without a gate ship? It never occurred to me to check it since I take it for granted. Well, I just have to send them separately in order to colonize this world.
Attacking Ke'Saal, the Tarka HW defended by 4 CRs and 10 DEs: No losses, colony down, only 5 DEs left. This battle was made much easier since Tarka sent away 25 CRs last turn to try to take back Kuo'Dai.
Attacking Kea'Donum a Tarka colony defended by 36 DEs: 10 DEs and colony down, no losses.
Defending Ulol, a rock, from 10 Zuul DEs: Easy victory, no losses.
Continuing the attack on Kuo'Dai, a Tarka colony now defended by 2 CRs, 2 DEs and 8 sats: All clear.
Attacking Iruuna, a substitute HW of the Liir defended by 1 CR and 22 DEs: All clear.

Turn 132
Reflective Coating done, starting Interrogate Zuul in case I need to use the demand surrender to finish the game.

Battles
Cleanup at Algol.
Cleanup at Ke'Saal.
Cleanup at Kea'Donum.
Attacking Baltar, a Zuul colony defended by 4 CRs, 1 DE, and 11 sats: Only 1 CR left, no losses.

Turn 133
Interrogate Zuul done, stating Dominate Zuul.

Battles
Attacking Ka'Trulmo, the last Tarka colony defended by 3 CRs, 9 DEs and 1 sats: Colony and all but 1 DE down, no losses.
Attacking Krankor, a Zuul colony defended by 1 CR, 1 DE, and 10 sats: All clear.
Defending our new colony at Kuo'Dai from 25 Tarka CRs: Took out 19 CRs with no losses.
Cleanup at Baltar.

Turn 134
Painful Burden has been eliminiated.

Battles
Attacking Hesperus, a Zuul colony defended by 6 CRs, 30 DEs and 17 sats: Took out 3 CRs, 27 DEs, and 5 sats with no losses. The colony is still up, though.

Turn 135
Var Kona's Legions has been eliminated. Dominate Zuul done, starting Subjugate Zuul. I am also showing my cards to the Zuul at this point. It might cause them to surrender.

Battles
Attacking Wundagore, a Zuul colony defended by 3 CRs and 20 sats: All but 1 sat down, no losses.
Continuing the attack on Hesperus, a Zuul colony now defended by 4 CRs, 4 DEs and 15 sats: Colony down, as well as 3 CRs, 1 DE, and 8 sats. No losses.
Attacking Bronson Alpha, a Zuul substitute HW defended by 1 CR and 10 DEs: I was given the option to force the colony to surrender and took it but I had to fight. All clear.

Turn 136
Only one Zuul colony remains.

Battles
Attacking Unuumo, the last Zuul colony, defended by 16 CRs, 7 DEs and 10 sats: Lost 1 DE and a CR CnC to take out the colony and 15 CRs, 3 DEs and 3 sats.
Cleanup at Wundagore.
Cleanup at Hesperus.

Turn 137
The Devoted has been eliminated. Subjugate Zuul came in just too late.

This was a fun game. But then, I always love playing Hivers :-)

I have uploaded two files. One from the turn before the game ended, and one from the turn it was all finished.
SG-18a T136.sav

SG-18a T137.sav

As a side note: I continued to play SG18 that I created. It ended in turn 281. At that time I had built 10 AN DN fleets and had managed to take out 168 enemy DNs, losing only 1 DN. It was quite a fun game, it only started a little slow.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:17 am

Do you guys want another? If so looks like we ought to find a fourth again. Do we try Mec's suggestion of Hivers vs all Zuul? With or without variant rules?
Zed's TARs (sample):

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:41 am

ZedF wrote:Do you guys want another? If so looks like we ought to find a fourth again. Do we try Mec's suggestion of Hivers vs all Zuul? With or without variant rules?

I'd be up for another, and you know I love Hivers. :)

However, I'm going to be out of town until the 22nd, so if we start before then I'll need to be skipped until I get back.

Nice work, Ivra! Once that Hiver juggernaught gets rolling, it doesn't stop, does it?
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Yes, I would like to play another Hiver game. They are my favorite race, after all. Hivers vs Zuul sounds like it can be a hard start and the rule below makes it even harder...

I have just found an easy rule that does what we tried to achieve in SG18 which I have tested in a couple of games. Instead of setting restrictions on expansion, the restrictions are set on colony development. From a roleplaying perspective imagine that the Hiver empire have two artifacts. One allows them to terraform a colony, while the other one allows them to build infrastructure on a colony. So at any one time only one colony can grow infrastructure and only one colony can be terraformed (the same world may have both artifacts to do both). A further restriction is that only two colonies at a time can be under development. If at any time both of the developing colonies need the same artifact (for instance they have both been terraformed) then one of them must set Trade to 100% (to stop colony development) while the other uses the needed artifact. In this situation one of the artifacts will remain idle until one of the colonies are completely developed.

This restriction might work well in a game vs all Zuul. We will develop colonies very slowly while the Zuul will do just the opposite...

My suggestion is to start an advanced game. I.e. everybody gets 15 techs, and a few colonies. Maybe we can try to put the AI on hard this time. But if we do so I think we need to start with at least as many colonies as the AI.

Any thoughts?

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:16 pm

ZedF wrote:Well, we are up to 56 colonies now, with a couple more to be founded on T130, so I guess that's an improvement. :)

Sorry I overlooked this one. Nice work, indeed! It's just that you are such an expert at this game that I take it for granted that you do well :)

Starknight wrote:Nice work, Ivra! Once that Hiver juggernaught gets rolling, it doesn't stop, does it?

Thanks and no it doesn't. It became very clear in my original SG18 game that I completed alone. Having 10 DN fleets and throwing them all over the place is always fun!!!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:22 am

Ha, not for me. I often find the mop-up part of the game, when it's obvious who's won and you're just going through the motions, to be tedious rather than fun. If you found 18 to be fun great, but I doubt continuing would have been my cup of tea.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:19 am

ZedF wrote:Ha, not for me. I often find the mop-up part of the game, when it's obvious who's won and you're just going through the motions, to be tedious rather than fun. If you found 18 to be fun great, but I doubt continuing would have been my cup of tea.

In my personal continuation of it, I found stomping the Puppet Master to be fun around turn 330, but otherwise it's kind of a slog, yes. But then I'm not trying to kill everyone in sight, just letting them do it and sniping the dead colonies from them. :)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Return to “T.A.R.”