SotS SG19

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: SotS SG19

Post by ZedF » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:32 pm

I think BlueTemplar is before me in the turn order. I had asked to be skipped. Blue Templar said he would probably be available tomorrow, so I will wait to hear from him, but if he's available he should be before me.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:45 pm

ZedF wrote:I think BlueTemplar is before me in the turn order. I had asked to be skipped. Blue Templar said he would probably be available tomorrow, so I will wait to hear from him, but if he's available he should be before me.

Ok, so we are back on track then, with BlueTemplar as the next player.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 am

This has stopped up. Who is available for playing?
I am :)
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:28 am

I was going to wait to hear from Blue Templar, but sure, go ahead. :lol:
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:41 am

ZedF wrote:I was going to wait to hear from Blue Templar, but sure, go ahead. :lol:

I didn't mean that I should play the next 10 turns. I just thought it had been quiet for a bit too long and started to worry if people had abandoned the game. I just meant that I still want to play it. If you are able to play your turns now, I think you can do so.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 am

I may be able to find time this weekend if Blue Templar continues to be silent. If anyone would like to jump in prior to then, feel free.
Zed's TARs (sample):

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Sorry, with September well on it's way, I just can't seem to find the time for SotS these days... :oops: or video games in general!

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:57 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Sorry, with September well on it's way, I just can't seem to find the time for SotS these days... :oops: or video games in general!

Too bad, but I guess that's what work can do to you sometimes. I updated the first post as a reminder. The new play order is:
ivra, ZedF, PaulMcC, StarKnight

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Well I wasn't able to get time for this this weekend, I will keep trying to find an opportunity to get some SotS time in during the week but if anyone wants to take a turn please feel free.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:23 am

ZedF wrote:Well I wasn't able to get time for this this weekend, I will keep trying to find an opportunity to get some SotS time in during the week but if anyone wants to take a turn please feel free.

I would love to, but I just made a set of turns (played 130-140, while PaulMcC played 140-150). I feel that I should give StarKnight a chance before playing yet another 10 turns. What do you want, StarKnight? Do you want to play a set of turns now before ZedF?

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:52 am

ivra wrote:
ZedF wrote:Well I wasn't able to get time for this this weekend, I will keep trying to find an opportunity to get some SotS time in during the week but if anyone wants to take a turn please feel free.

I would love to, but I just made a set of turns (played 130-140, while PaulMcC played 140-150). I feel that I should give StarKnight a chance before playing yet another 10 turns. What do you want, StarKnight? Do you want to play a set of turns now before ZedF?

I can take another set, sure. Let me download the last save and I'll go from there.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:18 pm

Good! After StarKnight has done its turns, we are back to the beginning of the player order list and I will make my turns after that.

I am going to go away for a week from Monday 3rd to Sunday 9th of October, so feel free to skip me if my turn comes up again during that week.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Turn 150:
Looks like a defensive turnset for me unless I can get AM and Farcasting... not too likely. But I'll probably push us in that direction anyway.

Changed A.75-11 Steel Rain's routing from defending Peck to attacking Caladan. A.75-08 New Dawn should be able to handle the defensive duties - or would be able to if it had CNC ships. A.75-02 Locust-killers is sent instead, and CNC ships are sent to meet up with New Dawn. Blue Command (now A.75-01 Blue Command) is dispatched to take on the Zuul at Fomalhaut.

A Biome is sent off to settle Okektis, as we are only colonizing one world at this time. More will be sent in the future, when they are built.

A.75-03 The Queen's Own is constituted at the homeworld and more ships ordered for this new fleet.

IT:
Peck - A.75-02 Locust-killers vs. 15 Zuul CRs. 3 CRs are lost killing 14 of the enemy.

Deep Space - a scout ship is intercepted, I will try to run... but I can't outrun the AM cruiser.

Turn 151:
4 Zuul are detected incoming to Deneb in 2 turns; A.75-03 The Queens Own will be ready for them. More Biomes are ordered to support colonization efforts. The Biome at Okektis is ordered to land. Some freighters are ordered to support new trade routes. Research spending turned up a bit to hurry completion of DN Construction.

IT:
Nothing. The remaining ship - probably the bore - left Peck.

Turn 152:
DN Construction comes in. I queue up Tractor Beam, hoping for Gravity Control - that'd be a nice boost to our IO, and make getting AM easier.

More Biomes are sent to Okektis. A.75-03 The Queens Own are sent off to Deneb. A.75-02 Locust-killers deploys a gate at Peck.

IT:
Deneb - The Queens Own takes out 4 CRs. No losses.

Turn 153:
A.75-03 The Queens Own is dispatched to W'kanda. A.75-08 New Dawn, reinforced with command ships, is sent off to attack Zenla. This leaves two fleets for home defense, which should be sufficient. We have two attacks scheduled for the CW front and two for the CCW front, all of which will occur in the early part of the next turnset.

Designed the first round of DNs, although none are scheduled to be built just yet.

Turn 154:
Tractor Beam comes in on schedule. Gravity Control is up next.

Turn 155:
The last few scraps of resources that have been mined from dead worlds are dumped at the homeworld. The mining fleet will be retained in case more should make themselves known.

IT:
Altair gets one-turn attacked by 26 ships; without a defense fleet, this might be a loss for us. I'll try to draw off the attackers so we can get a fleet in. We do have a dual sat ring, so that should help. The enemy ignores the DEs in favor of charging the colony; the gate falls, the colony falls, and most of the satellites. Oh, and these were cloaked ships - that's why we didn't see them coming.

Turn 156:
Enemy fleet incoming to Pyyrus. A.75-10 New Day moves to intercept.

IT:
Pyyrus - 6 Kum Kuon cruisers (mining) vs. our fleet. They run, I can't catch them; AR next round to remove them.

Thundara - the VN pay a visit. We shoot down the probes at the cost of one DE.

Turn 157:
The Kwan Dao Dilemma completes, we now have EM Pulsar tech available.

17 enemy ships are detected coming in to Flinx. A.75-02 Locust-killers moves to intercept.

IT:
Flinx - a number of ships are lost, but most of the enemy are down, including their Impactors.

Pyyrus - AR to remove enemy mining ships.

Turn 158:
5 ships lost at Flinx, and the gate, to kill 16/17 enemy CRs. One CNC remains, will AR it if it does not retreat. Deploying replacement gate.

Gravity Control goes overbudget. *sigh*

IT:
Flinx - AR to kill that last CNC.

Marshak - 4 mining ships managed to sneak up, cloaked? They dove, we dove, survive and will kill them next turn.

Turn 159:
A.75-10 New Day moves to Marshak to eliminate more enemy mining ships. Reinforcements will meet them and also go to join A.75-02 Locust-killers.

Gravity Control comes in. I am loath to commit to a long-term project so I select Armada Command at 4 turns. Moving to DN fleets is a good move for us, as it means we can fit more power through the same gate capacity. Money might be an issue, though; Mega-freighters should be seriously considered.

Okektis is nearly done with infra and is bleeding over into terraforming this turn. I turn off all efforts at Cetus to let Okektis finish as much as possible. I also send a few colonizers to Cetus in order to be able to complete the infra there without needing the artifact.

IT:
Marshak - AR to kill mining ships.

Turn 160:
28 enemy ships incoming to Pyyrus, eta 1 turn. 4 headed to Asbekyz - a bore fleet, most likely, due in 4 turns. I've merged reinforcements with their intended fleets, and left the rest up to the next player.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:16 am

Turn 160
Made preparations to colonize Soror. Verified all the gjs fleets and fixed a couple of places that had none. Built scanner stations, MDs and LDs on the front worlds.

Battles
Steel Rain is attacking Caladan, defended by 38 CRs and 20 sats: A costly attack as the fleet had too few ships. Took out 17 CRs, losing 15 CRs. Will try to set up a CR gate and see how it goes.
New Day is defending Pyyrus from 28 CRs: Another costly attack. Lost 11 CRs and the gate to take out 19 CRs, but the battle should be won next turn.
Blue Command is attacking Fomalhaut, defended by 8 CRs, 1 DE, and 10 sats: A much better result. Lost 1 CR taking out the colony, 8 CRs, 1 DE, and 8 sats.

Turn 161
Preparing to colonize Zyrokin as well since Cetus will be completed in two turns. The result of the battles scared me enough to start building a fusion AM fleet for defense purposes.

Battles
Steel Rain is dying while attacking Caladan, defended by 27 CRs and 20 sats: Not dead yet. Took out 11 CRs, losing 4 CRs and the CR gate. Will set up a new CR gate next turn. The fleet consists of only support ships and has nowhere to run since it is almost out of fuel.
New Day is defending Pyyrus from 4 CRs: Failed to catch the 4 CR CNC ships that stayed behind. Will use auto-resolve next turn.
Cleanup at Fomalhaut.

Turn 162
Soror Colonized. Continue to build the DN fleet at the HW. Building biomes for Zyrokin.

Battles
Steel Rain is still dying while attacking Caladan, now defended by 22 CRs and 20 sats: The fleet is no more... I managed to take out 3 CRs.
The Queens Own is attacking W'kanda, defended by 77 CRs, 2 DEs, and 20 sats: I don't think CRs are good enough anymore. Not against these odds. Lost 11 CRs and took out 8 CRs. Will set up a CR gate and take out as many ships as I can while the fleet is dying.
Auto-resolve at Pyyrus to take out the 4 CR CNC ships: Success, no losses.

Turn 163
Zyrokin colonized.

Battles
Locust-killers is defending Asbekyz from 3 CRs and 1 DE: Success, no losses.
The Queens Own is being slaughtered while attacking W'kanda, now defended by 58 CRs, 2 DEs, and 20 sats: Took out 12 CR while losing only 2 CRs and the CR gate. Will set up the last CR gate and fight it out.

Turn 164
DN CNC will come in next turn if all goes well. Building a few biomes as the combat ships for the first DN fleet is ready; only the DN CNC ships remains.

Battles
The Queens Own is being slaughtered while attacking W'kanda, now defended by 47 CRs, 2 DEs, and 20 sats: Now that was an unsatisfying way to die. I only managed to take out 3 CRs, after that I could not shoot at any more ships as they were invisible. Zuul apparently got the tech that keeps their ships cloaked even when firing... How do we counter this? The few remaining ships will die next turn, but I am not going to watch the slaughter and will go for auto-resolve.
Blue Command is defending Volans from 9 CRs: Success without losses. About half of the Zuul ships were heavily damaged prior to the fight which made it much easier. And they were visible, a huge plus :)

Turn 165
Armada CNC came in, so I designed a DN CNC ship and built a couple of them at the HW. I am tempted to go for AM, but selected Mega-Freighters instead. I hope I can hold on 5 more turns without losing too much terrain to Zuul's invisible fleets. Until we get a counter there is not much to do but hope that they do not show up at our colonies...

Battles
The Queens Own is being slaughtered while attacking W'kanda, now defended by 54 CRs, 2 DEs, and 20 sats: Using auto-resolve to get the battle over with.
New Dawn is attacking Zenla, defended by 2 DNs, 17 CRs, 2 DEs, and 20 sats: Hmm, not too bad. Lost 12 CRs and took out 1 DN and 15 CRs. Only 1 DN, 1 CR, and 2 DEs remains and there is no reinforcements coming so I think I will win this battle. I am not setting up the gate yet as it is the only gate in the fleet.

Turn 166
Zuul now has DN ships. I have not spottet DN CNC ships yet, but they will probably show up soon. At least it is not possible to cloak DNs... The first DN fleet is ready, and I am starting on the second one since I have destroyed almost all of our fleets... There are 26 ships coming from Trantor in three turn to Volans. I am a bit unsure if I want to engage them using the new DN fleet. What if they are cloacked CRs that I am unable to target? I do not want to lose the first DN fleet without being able to fight back.

Battles
New Dawn is attacking Zenla, now defended by 2 DNs, 3 CRs, 2 DEs, and 20 sats. Oops, that is an extra DN and 2 extra CRs. I wonder if the Zuul built them or managed to get in some reinforcements. Let's see how this goes: Took out 2 DNs, 2 CRs, and 1 DE, but lost 8 CRs. There is not much firepower left in this fleet so I am setting up the gate and hope that few ships will show up next turn.
VN attack at Slyggia: I managed to destroy the VN mothership so that we will get a 25% research bonus for 1 turn.

Turn 167
Mega-Freighters done, starting AM and setting it to max. Continue to build ships at the HW for the second DN fleet.

Battles
New Dawn is attacking Zenla, now defended by 1 DN, 1 CR, 1 DE, and 20 sats: Managed to take out the DN and the CR and save the gate. Will move in a DN fleet next turn.

Turn 168
All ships ordered for the second DN fleet. It will finish in two turns.

Battles
First Batch is defending Volans against 26 CRs: Hmm, lost 2 DNs and took out 26 CRs. The gate was saved.
Second Law is attacking Zenla, now defended by 1 DN, 1 DE, and 20 sats: Lost another DN, but did take out the colony and the DN. Only 8 sats to go.
Locust-killers is defending Slyggia against 20 CRs: Lost 4 CRs and the gate, and took out 16 ships. This time the cloaked ships became visible. Is it only at enemy colonies that they remain invisible???

Turn 169
Because of the 3 lost DNs the second DN fleet will not be ready until turn 171. The first one will get two DNs intended for the second fleet to bring it back to shape.

Battles
Using auto-resolve at Zenla to take out the remaining 8 sats: Success, no losses.

Turn 170
First Batch is set up and up to strength. AM is at 33%.

Notes to the next player:
The 3 remaining DNs for Second Law is being constructed at HW, Argelius, and Okek'tis. They will all be finished next turn.
The remainder of New Dawn is at the HW.
Locust-killers and Blue Command are still strong and ready for action.
First Batch is set up and ready to defend Volans from the 20 CRs that will arrive next turn.
A gate arrived at Uxor where the Locusts have been. It has no resources at all. We will probably want to gate it and put a gjs fleet there, though.
I have designed the mega freighter but not been able to build any.

Question:
Can anybody explain how the invisibility cloak works? I have never met an AI using them before.

Conclusion:
I managed to take out two Zuul colonies out of four attacked. But the cost of those failed assaults and taking out those two colonies were very high. I did not lose any of our colonies but that is mostly because the invisible cloaked ships never attacked one. The two colonies I colonized are almost done and we can look for two more worlds to colonize. The battles these 10 turns have not been easy. We might win in the end, but there is a long way to go and many hard battles to fight before that.

SG19-170.sav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:47 am

ivra wrote:Question:
Can anybody explain how the invisibility cloak works? I have never met an AI using them before.

On the strategic screen, they'll be invisible, unless we have DN scanners (or Sensor Stations, or Asteroid Monitors) and the Tunneling Sensors technology, in which case we have a chance to see them.

On the tactical level, they'll be invisible until they attack if they just have Cloaking. If they have Improved Cloaking, they can attack while invisible. Any level of Deep Scan will reveal them at this time, however. If they are using ImpCloak, you can force-fire (ctrl-click) on the spot where you see weapons shooting from and possibly get some hits on them. (One of my favorite Evil Tricks(tm) while playing Morrigi is to use ImpCloaked Barrage CRs. Fire on an enemy DN group, then hold fire and run. They'll come over and shoot at the spot you were, often times damaging or even blowing each other up.)

Return to “T.A.R.”