SotS SG19

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: SotS SG19

Post by ZedF » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:06 pm

Go ahead and skip me Paul. Remember the locusts will be after our gated world after Uxor; hopefully you've dealt with them before & know how to do it. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:42 am

PaulMcC, do you need a skip too? You said something about not being able to play during the weekdays.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:48 pm

I think we can take that silence as a yes. So, Starknight, you are welcome to go ahead and take your turns if you like.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:20 pm

Sorry about the slow reply, I wasn't expecting this to get round to me again quite that quickly. And yes a skip please.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:29 am

ivra wrote:I think we can take that silence as a yes. So, Starknight, you are welcome to go ahead and take your turns if you like.

Okay, I'm on it.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Turn 120:
Ordered some ships to reinforce Honorable Warriors. Other than that, everything looks good.

IT:
Badoon - AR to remove the damaged Zuul CR.

Slyggia - 1 CR, 8 sats and the colony. New Hope takes point. Why do we not have PD cruisers? Most Hiver CR designs have very bad arcs for light mounts, as is evidenced by the fact that we are getting HAMMERED by planet and satellite missiles. Also, why is this fleet not organized into a battle line? 1 CR lost, enemy CR and planet down, some sats remaining.

Turn 121:
Ionic Thrusters comes in. I start research on Reflective Coating, in order to blunt Locust weapons - the Zuul indeed failed to stop them at Uxor. KK Missiles are available, but I'm not crazy about them.

I design a PD cruiser in order to fill the gap in our fleets, since we seem to be moving to a CR-heavy assault model. This should cut down on some of our casualties; they will also be needed against the Locusts.

Zuul are sending 15 CRs - including 3 CNC - to try and take back Slyggia. First Rule of Acquisition - once you have their planet, you never give it back. :)

Bob completes infrastructure. I colonize Hesperus.

IT:
Cargg - dove with a gate-fleet.

Prion - dove with a scout.

Slyggia - New Dawn takes point vs. 15 enemy cRs and 3 sats. 6 ships and the gate are lost for 14 CRs and one satellite.

Turn 122:
Hesperus is set to building Infra. Biomes are sent to Ilmatar to speed up the terraforming process.

RC comes in, no Improved. I choose Environmental Tailoring to 1) speed up terraforming efforts, and 2) check for Arcologies and Grav Adaptation - there's at least one 10k resource planet we could colonize with GA which is well in the back lines.

Locusts are due at Bob t128. I design various Locust-killer ships. All have AP drivers (medium and large), laser PD, max armor and reflec. LBomb refinery, LDaze assault/armor, LPoint BB/PD, LCNC (obvious) and LHammer hammerhead/war. The designs will be deleted after the fleet is built; survivors will be folded into fleets as needed. Bob can make 17 ships in the next 6 turns; I queue up a number of others at the homeworld to provide more depth.

CR gate deployed at Slyggia.

IT:
Caladan - our fleet of 23 DEs, 12 CRs meets 1 DE, 50 CR and 2 full sat rings at a Zuul colony. The Zuul's Phasers do a number on our DEs, and the various other weapons destroy most of our ships. A few manage to escape.

Pentacon - dove with a 3 DE gate-fleet.

Slyggia - 1 CR and 2 sats; New Hope ARs to kill them.

Turn 123:
Environmental Tailoring goes overbudget. :eyeroll:

Replacements are ordered for New Dawn, which is being sent to the homeworld for a medal ceremony on it's way to Paran Tar to defend against a Zuul probe.

Colonists are ordered to land on Ilmatar.

IT:
Nothing happens.

Turn 124:
ET finishes up. Both GA and Arcologies are in our tree; I opt for Terraforming Bacteria for another quick boost to our ability to hiverform worlds.

Locust-killer ships are sent to Bob. Preparations continue. Current count of ships that will be present - 6xLBomb, 6xLCNC, 7xLHammer, 7xLPoint, 7xLDaze. I hope that will be sufficient.

IT:
Paran Tar - 3 Zuul CRs vs. the newly reinforced New Dawn. No losses, although I was worried about the Rend Bore - but it didn't get a Node Cannon shot off.

Hydra - One of our older fleets meets 7 CRs and 19 sats at a Zuul colony. Enemy ships down, most of the fleet lost but a gate, CNC and repair ships survived. I will deploy the gate and try to protect it.

Poha - a scout crashes into a Zuul colony. Thought I'd seen all those in time...

Serenity - New Hope meets 7 CRs, 1 DE at a neutral world. They didn't bring CNC, we did. Two ships - a Rend Bore and one other - survived for next round.

Deep Space - 8 Zuul CRs catch up with the remnants of a fleet fleeing from Volans. 21 CP but no CNC means this will go poorly any way I try it, so I AR.

Turn 125:
Terraforming Bacteria comes in. I queue up Lancers to try and get some more punch to our ships.

The remnants of A.60-04 Forced Recon will not be able to make it back to Hiver space without help. As they are Fission ships, I scrap them instead of mounting a rescue.

Ilmatar completes terraforming. Kithrup is a size 7 world with nearly 8k resources; I target it for colonization next.

IT:
Hydra - the Zuul have mustered 3 ships, I have 4 + gate but they're not really combat ships; keeping my fingers crossed. Gate dies, ships die, but I take two of the enemy ships with me. Ah well.

Serenity - 1 DE and 2 CRs remain. They run and I chase; the node cannon kills 2 CRs, and then the Rend Bore is dead.

Turn 126:
Biomes are ordered to land on Kithrup; garrison ships dispatched. Hesperus switched to Terraforming; the few hundredths of Infra remaining will be handled by a colonizer landing.

IT:
Serenity - AR to kill the remaining ship? I guess they pulled the CR out to defend Deneb from Steel Rain.

Turn 127:
Move some fleets around to defend our borders. Research on Lancers at 50%, turn back to save up money.

Here come the Locusts.

IT:
Baltar - another scout I didn't notice runs into a Zuul world. Dove but expect it to die.

Bob - A.75-02 Locust-killers vs. the Locusts. Just barely killed it in the default time but lost a lot of ships. Then again, I expected that to happen. The LBombs never even made it to the Worldship but did take out a bunch of drones.

Deneb - A.75-11 Steel Rain (20 DE, 15 CR) vs. 26 Zuul CRs, 17 sats, and the planet. Quite a few ships are lost but most of the enemy ships are down.

Turn 128:
A.75-11 Steel Rain will need some reinforcements after losing 11 ships, but enough ships remain to defend the gate I'm deploying. Another fleet can be jumped in to help next turn. Reinforcements are ordered.

Bob gained 2631 resources from the dead ships and the Locust FleetWorld. Since our Infra artifact is busy at Kithrup, I'll bring in colonizers to fill up the 9 points that were lost, but it'll have to wait for a gate to be built and deployed. I deleted the LBomb but left the rest of the designs for now.

Turned research back up to try and complete Lancers by turn 130.

IT:
Tully - We destroy the bore-fleet with no losses.

Deneb - Apparently the jammers worked better than I thought; no combat occurred.

Turn 129:
Reinforcements for Steel Rain sent to Deneb. They should be able to attack the world now. Fleets are shuffled to fend off attacks.

IT:
Flinx - 16 enemy CRs vs. 9 DEs, 15 CRs of ours. We lost the (DE) gate and 2 CRs but killed 15 enemy CRs. One left.

Peck - here we have 11 DEs, 16 CRs vs. 25 enemy CRs. We run out of CNC first; the enemy is victorious. Surviving ships will retreat.

Deneb - A.75-11 Steel Rain (17 DEs, 16 CRs) vs. 14 CRs, 20 sats and the planet. After playing games to get ships positioned, I begin the assault. We lose 2 ships but kill two waves of enemy vessels, a sat or two, and hit the planet a few times.

Vela - 15 DEs, 15 CRs vs. 16 enemy CRs. We lose the gate and 8 ships (4 DEs, 4 CRs) but kill 15 of the enemy.

Turn 130:
Reinforcements are in order for several fleets, but immediate threats are reduced to minimal. I've ordered repairs, a few fleet movements, and left the rest up to the next player. Oh, and Lancers came in on time; redesigning the ships with heavy beam mounts is probably in order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Good job!
Nice of you to rid the galaxy of the Locusts threat :-)

I have the save and will be working on it today.

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 am

Turn 130
I will try to save Peck and set up a gate that the Zuul will concentrate their fire on. Research is set to Arcology Construction. Redesigning ships to incorporate Reflective Coating and Lancers.

Battles
Taking out a rending bore at Flinx: Sacrificed a couple of DEs and then I could take it out.
Trying to defend Peck: Success. Our CR gates are tough! Only one CNC left and it offered peace once the other ships were taken out.
Attacking the colony at Deneb: This was a different story. I lost 6 CRs and 9 DEs to take out 2 CRs, 7 sats, and 180 million pop. Sending in reinforcements next turn.
Taking out a heavily damaged CNC at Vela using AR.
VN visited Cetus. Managed to not lose the gate, lost 2 DEs.

Turn 131
I decided to dump the resources from the mining ship on Za'xharis, a colony with only 1765 resources. Building a lot of combat ships at our HW to get our fleets up to standards again.

Battles
Defending Peck from the single CNC that remains: Both offered and accepted peace. Time to move in a real attack fleet to finish it off.
Locust-killers takes (Grammar Question: It is correct to use takes here since Honorable Warriors is the name of a fleet, right?) the lead in attacking Deneb, which is down to 17 sats and 615 mill imperials: A modern fleet with our best ships made a lot of difference... No losses and only 1 sat left. 8 CRs are incoming next turn so Locust-killers will stay.

Turn 132
The damage done to Bob by the Locusts attack was fixed using colonizers. Hesperus is done, colonizing Argelius, another size 10 world.

Battles
Wow, The Blessed is definitely not giving up... Honorable Warriors is trying to attack Volans where it encountered 76 CRs, 3 DEs, and 10 sats: Well the result was ok, but I think I have too few ships. Took out 23 CRs and lost 2 CRs and 6 DEs. Will set up the only gate (a CR gate) and try to protect it.
Defending our newly conquered Deneb from the 9 CRs that just arrived: All clear.
No combat at Peck since the CNC moved away.

Turn 133
Nice! Arcology Construction came in ahead of time. Starting Gravitational Adaption. Argelius colonized. Steel Rain is reinforced and is heading to Hyperion to take care of 16 CRs that will arrive there next turn. Building more combat ships to reinforce New Day, New Hope, and New Dawn.

Battles
Honorable Warriors is trying to defend the CR gate at Volans against 45 CRs, 3DEs, and 10 sats: Lost 6 DEs and 1 CR, but managed to save the gate. Took out one wave of ships, for a total of 10 CRs. Sending in a modern fleet next turn.
Locust-killers is engages vs. 7CRs and 1 DE at Pyyrus: Success, no losses.
Steel Rain is engages vs. 16CRs at Hyperion: Success, no losses.

Turn 134
Steel Rain is sent off to attack Kreelar and will arrive in 11 turns.

Battles
Locust-killers takes the lead in the attack on Volans vs. 25 CRs, 3 DEs, and 10 sats: I had to take care of the ships so I did not touch the colony. Took out 15 CRs and lost 1 CR.

Turn 135
New Day is reconstructed, continue with the next fleet.

Battles
An ER was wiped out at Shamballa. Why do we send out ERs again? Do we need them anymore now that we have Deep Scan?
Locust-killers continues the attack on Volans now vs. 10 CRs, 3 DEs, and 10 sats: Almost done. The colony and the combat ships are down, only 1 rip bore, 1 rending bore, and 5 sats remain. But 10 more CRs will arrive next turn so the battle is not quite over. No losses this time.
Another ER was wiped out, this time at Lusus.

Turn 136
Moving Honorable Warriors back to our HW for reconstruction.

Battles
Locust-killers continues the battle at Volans now vs. 11 CRs, 1 DEs, and 5 sats: Had to play carefully since the Zuul did not bring any CNC ships and I left a rending bore from last turn. As it turns out the rending bore moved away. Only 1 DE and 1 sat remain.

Turn 137
Gravitational Adaption was completed, starting Advanced Command and Control. New Hope is reconstructed.

Battles
Cleanup at Volans.
Another ER met his doom, this time at Bismol.
New Day is defending our colony at Foo from 3 CRs and 1 DE. I will play it since there is a rending bore in the mix: I failed since the Zuul started with a tanker and the rending bore. Could only wait at the spawning area until the planet missiles took out the tanker. Then the two other CRs was easy pickings, but there was not enough time to take out the rending bore.
New Hope is defending Vela from 20 CRs: It got ugly as the Zuul had more than one CNC in the second wave, so there was no way to reduce the number of ships I fought against in the second wave. I lost 5 CRs in the acid environment the Zuul have a habit of creating wherever they fight. They lost 19 ships.

Turn 138
Advanced Command and Control done, researching Tunneling Sensors since Zuul have cloaking. This time Itot'ex will get the resources from the mining ships. Building replacement ships for the losses that New Hope took and ships to fill up Honorable Warriors.

Battles
Locust-killers is defending Peck from 8 CRs: Success, no losses.
New Day is defending Slyggia from 4 CRs: Success, no losses, but a rending bore is incoming next turn...
Using AR to make New Hope take out the last heavily damaged CR CNC.
VN attacked our colony at Yith: I just waited them out.
VN attacked our rock at Mintarr: I managed to not trigger the VN mother ship to launch torpedoes, by placing my ships close to the gate and just take out the drones as they arrived.

Turn 139
Kithrup will be completed next turn, but I am busy building combat ships so I could only afford to build a single colonizer (currently my cash is -247000, but will end up at 2.6 mill next turn).

Battles
Locust-killers is defending Vilani from 16 CRs: Lost the gate and 2 CRs, but only 1 CNC remains.
New Hope is defending our colony at Altair from 16 CRs: Lost 1 CR to take out all 16 CRs.
ER was wiped out at Tupile.
A jammed gate fleet was wiped out at Krankor.
New Day vs. Rending Bore at Slyggia: Sacrificed an ER to make it fire its node cannon and then moved in to take it out.

Turn 140 - and notes to the next player
  • I moved the two parts of Honorable Warriors to Sera where it is needed in two turns. Then you have time to merge them and set up the fleet before the battle.
  • I have not sent any fleet to defend against the attack at Peck, but both New Hope and New Day are available. You might want to send one of the fleets to attack a Zuul colony and defend using the other fleet.
  • I managed to reconstruct all but one of our fleets. Only New Dawn needs reconstruction. It is located at our HW.
  • The colonizer at Asbekyz was the only one I could afford last turn. You should probably build a lot of biomes and find a suitable planet to colonize. The only one with infrastructure is Volans (39); it might be worth saving them even if the planet is only size 2. If you are going for size there is Soror of size 10, which is the last of the former Zuul HWs that we have not colonized yet. Then there is Okek'tis with 10000 resources, a nice size 8 world. It has not been colonized earlier since CH=814, so maybe the colonizer could be used here?

Warning to all:
Zuul has Anti-Matter and Cloaking!

SG19-140.sav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:32 am

Hmm, I'm not sure that I'll be able to give it proper attention before next Monday, at least, what about you, ZedF? PaulMcC?

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:16 am

I can pick this up on Friday evening if nobody picks it up first. And your grammar point is fine, the fleet name is a singular proper noun. If you thought it could be confusing for a reader you could have expanded to ' the locust killers fleet takes ' which makes it obviously that locust killers is a singular thing.

ivra

Post by ivra » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:32 pm

PaulMcC wrote:I can pick this up on Friday evening if nobody picks it up first. And your grammar point is fine, the fleet name is a singular proper noun. If you thought it could be confusing for a reader you could have expanded to ' the locust killers fleet takes ' which makes it obviously that locust killers is a singular thing.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:32 pm

I agree it's fine phrased that way. If you had wanted to phrase it using 'take' you would have said 'The locust killers take...' to refer to the ships that killed the locusts as a group, i.e. as a collective noun rather than as a proper noun fleet name.

As far as the game goes I doubt I can finish turns before Friday, so go ahead, Paul.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

PaulMcC

Post by PaulMcC » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:59 am

Ok, that was fun, although a bit of an admin challenge keeping up with what's where and trying to keep up with fleet composition as well.

Techs researched - Scanner Sats and Heavy Platforms
Dreadnaughts are almost done. (In hindsight I think I should have shot straight to anti-matter rather than dreads....)

Cetus has been colonised but the other colonies have finished building out so you have scope to pick another planet. Kozapris is an option but I haven't checked across the board to see what's best.

Kreelar and Cassandra taken from the Zuul. (Cassandra as I started trying to remove the odd Zuul colonies behind our front line to simplify the number of places we have to defend.

Quite a few combats with the Zuul. Probably destroyed about 200 Zuul cruisers at the loss of 20 of ours over the course of the 10 turns. Hot spots for Zuul attacks were Sera, Hyperion, Slyggia, Marshak and Pyyrus.

The Zuul are mounting occasional rail guns on their cruisers which is pretty nasty if you stay still. Also still using a lot of nanite missiles making a PD cruiser on the field very useful.

There is an attack incoming with two fleets vectored to defend. It's only 15 CR so should be no problem. The other fleets are at our Homeworld so they can get a bit of reorganisation (mostly balancing the number of CNC, Gate and Repair ships in each fleet). I haven't done this so the next person can move ships around to suite their own style.

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:59 am

PaulMcC wrote:Ok, that was fun...

Good to hear! I felt the same when I played my turns. There is still some tension in the game and a lot of battles to fight before it is over. I guess it does not take long before we see Zuul AM DNs with Impactors, auch!

ivra

Post by ivra » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:41 pm

I am confused about who is next now, but I guess it's you, ZedF. Then we continue with BlueTemplar and go back to the normal playing order???

Return to “T.A.R.”